Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,852 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:52 AM

Peculiar Behaviours Related To Culture or Race - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Peculiar Behaviours Related To Culture or Race (2711 Views)

Culture Or Cruelty? Do We Still Need Tribal Marks?(pics) / Query To Culture Mods; Chinenyen Libelous Comments Against Igbodefender.com / Is The Name "ARAB" A Tribe/ethnicity,a Culture Or A Confederation? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Peculiar Behaviours Related To Culture or Race by DeepZone: 9:01pm On Oct 15, 2008
How true is the belief that our attitude and personality are dependent on our culture? Are there special characteristics that you can guess in a person just because of his/her race or tribe?. Can you prove that those attitudes are 100% peculiar to that culture or race?
Re: Peculiar Behaviours Related To Culture or Race by bettes(f): 9:06pm On Oct 15, 2008
stingy people-Ijebu
Re: Peculiar Behaviours Related To Culture or Race by DeepZone: 9:08pm On Oct 15, 2008
stingy people-Ijebu

Is stinginess peculiar to only Ijebus? If not, your claim is flawed.
Re: Peculiar Behaviours Related To Culture or Race by fyneboi(m): 9:13pm On Oct 15, 2008
Some of our behaviors and ways of life depend on our culture. Most African believe so much in cultural behavior

because we think it makes us responsible and  are regarded as well behaved individual. We use greeting to measure how

respectful and responsible one is. If a Nigerian see an elderly person and greet them appropriately, we think the child is

responsible, which is not necessarily true. When a Nigerian look straight in their elders eyes during communication, we think

its disrespectful, whereas it's a sign of fear and or that you telling a lie to an American when you don't look straight in their

eyes during communication. Those are example of some of our cultural behavior that affect our everyday living.
Re: Peculiar Behaviours Related To Culture or Race by fyneboi(m): 9:17pm On Oct 15, 2008
bettes:

stingy people-Ijebu

That is a belief and not a behavior. Most Nigerians think Ijebus are stingy, which is not necessarily true. There

could be some true to it, but not fully true.
Re: Peculiar Behaviours Related To Culture or Race by ikeyman00(m): 9:30pm On Oct 15, 2008
ijebu very wicked and dubous like deepzone??

cunning?? tribalist??
Re: Peculiar Behaviours Related To Culture or Race by DeepZone: 10:14pm On Oct 15, 2008
Those are example of some of our cultural behavior that affect our everyday living.
Is cultural behavior dependent on our tribe/race or the environment we grew up?. How will a 25 year old boy that has yoruba ijebu parents likely to behave if he was adopted at 3 by white German parents and raised in Germany? Will he behave like an average yoruba man or an average German white male even though he is black?
Re: Peculiar Behaviours Related To Culture or Race by fyneboi(m): 10:43pm On Oct 15, 2008
DeepZone:

Is cultural behavior dependent on our tribe/race or the environment we grew up?. How will a 25 year old boy that has yoruba ijebu parents likely to behave if he was adopted at 3 by white German parents and raised in Germany? Will he behave like an average yoruba man or an average German white male even though he is black?

It's not necessarily the person itself or his origin, it's the cultural background he or she grew up. A black girl that grew up

among white folks, is likely going to act and behave like a white girl. A yoruba boy that grew up in yorubaland with a yoruba

cultural believe will likely still behave like a typical yoruba boy even if adopted by a German parents after the age of 17,

he might change his way of life and behavior if adopted at an early age.
Re: Peculiar Behaviours Related To Culture or Race by DeepZone: 10:59pm On Oct 15, 2008
A yoruba boy that grew up in yorubaland with a yoruba
[b]
cultural believe will likely still behave like a typical yoruba boy [/b]even if adopted by a German parents after the age of 17,

he might change his way of life and behavior if adopted at an early age.
I think we've digressed a bit. What is a typical yoruba or igbo behavior?. Are you saying that If i grew up anywhere in yorubaland and have Ijebu parents, i am most likely to be stingy because people blindly believe so? Are there no igbo or hausa stingy men/women?
Re: Peculiar Behaviours Related To Culture or Race by ifyalways(f): 11:18pm On Oct 15, 2008
DeepZone:

I think we've digressed a bit. What is a typical yoruba or igbo behavior?. Are you saying that If i grew up anywhere in yorubaland and have Ijebu parents, i am most likely to be stingy because people blindly believe so? Are there no igbo or hausa stingy men/women?
who are you asking?
shebi na you start the thread,what were you expecting?
tsk !
Re: Peculiar Behaviours Related To Culture or Race by DeepZone: 1:29am On Oct 16, 2008
ifyalways:

who are you asking?
shebi na you start the thread,what were you expecting?
tsk !
ok
Re: Peculiar Behaviours Related To Culture or Race by Tgirl4real(f): 6:37am On Oct 16, 2008
A lot of people have the impression that Ladosians esp. those fron isale-eko are lousy and rough. But this isn't completely true because majority of folks that live in Lagos are not Lagosians. A larger percentage of touts and on the Island are not lagosians. So . . . I see this as a false generalisation.

On the otherhand, I notice that people that are born and breed in Lagos (Isale-Eko) are generally forward and a bit lousy . . . smiley
Re: Peculiar Behaviours Related To Culture or Race by ikeyman00(m): 11:14am On Oct 16, 2008
troublesome hahha forgive me

right deepzone, i got only one friend since this year i moved from london to scotland which i met here. he actually stays in my rented flat u know. now wahala dey. He also a (yoruba) wana divorce his engaged wife-to-be right, haha but due to his wife is an ijebu, he said that wont be an option, course they will set him mad with the next few minutes if he choose to go ahead with the divorce thing.

so tribalist contender what would u say about this?

sorri  for always be up on front!!! once again I'm sorri. just be real i guess
Re: Peculiar Behaviours Related To Culture or Race by bigfather(m): 11:57am On Oct 16, 2008
ikeyman00:

cunning?? tribalist??

Are we talking about ijebus here or discussing about different cultural behaviours ?
Abeg na every race or culture get him own vices ! So why laying emphasise on IJEBU PIPS ?
Re: Peculiar Behaviours Related To Culture or Race by ikeyman00(m): 12:21pm On Oct 16, 2008
Quote from: ikeyman00 on Yesterday at 09:30:02 PM

cunning?? tribalist??

Are we talking about ijebus here or discussing about different cultural behaviours ?
Abeg na every race or culture get him own vices ! So why laying emphasise on IJEBU PIPS ?

hahha big father, im only saying what my yoruba friend that came to my house last night told me!! i guess its debate time, no drama intended

but is it true doe!! dnt worry i got okija power plenty plenty
Re: Peculiar Behaviours Related To Culture or Race by bigfather(m): 4:20pm On Oct 16, 2008
grin grin grin
For where?! abi you don forget say na we be the  GATEWAY STATE ?
Oya come, una go meet me for there !  grin tongue
Re: Peculiar Behaviours Related To Culture or Race by DeepZone: 5:07pm On Oct 16, 2008
big father:

The premise is even wrong because that same characteristics can be found among igbos, hausas, Bini's etc. The question was: what particular behaviour/trait/characteristics is peculiar to a certain culture so that we can justify using it to stereotype people from that area?
Re: Peculiar Behaviours Related To Culture or Race by DeepZone: 5:12pm On Oct 16, 2008
ikeyman00:

troublesome hahha forgive me

right deepzone, i got only one friend since this year i moved from london to scotland which i met here. he actually stays in my rented flat u know. now wahala dey. He also a (yoruba) wana divorce his engaged wife-to-be right, haha but due to his wife is an ijebu, he said that wont be an option, course they will set him mad with the next few minutes if he choose to go ahead with the divorce thing.

so tribalist contender what would u say about this?

sorri for always be up on front!!! once again I'm sorri. just be real i guess

Engaged to be? and divorce? . How can he divorce her when he hasn't married her? You see the holes in your story?. Make him mad? Puleeeze. Ijebus have married and divorced people, likewise people have divorced them without getting mad. what the hell are you saying?
Re: Peculiar Behaviours Related To Culture or Race by cutey01(f): 5:18pm On Oct 16, 2008
@OP, Why is it that most of your threads are always about tribe wahala? If I say Ijebus are stingy, B says Aba people are blah blah blah, tell me how there won't be hot arguments and hot bashing here! How about you spending more time on educative threads? just ma 2 cents.
Re: Peculiar Behaviours Related To Culture or Race by Gamine(f): 5:22pm On Oct 16, 2008
Ya, Hausa pipu no like book and they are very dirrty
Re: Peculiar Behaviours Related To Culture or Race by DeepZone: 5:25pm On Oct 16, 2008
cutey01:

@OP, Why is it that most of your threads are always about tribe wahala? If I say Ijebus are stingy, B says Aba people are blah blah blah, tell me how there won't be hot arguments and hot bashing here! How about you spending more time on educative threads? just ma 2 cents.

It may be because you have refused education or you are afraid of the obvious. The thread was supposed to be a rebuttal for tribalism and not anything tribal. What do they teach you little girls in school nowadays?
Re: Peculiar Behaviours Related To Culture or Race by cutey01(f): 5:31pm On Oct 16, 2008
DeepZone:

It may be because you have refused education or you are afraid of the obvious. The thread was supposed to be a rebuttal for tribalism and not anything tribal. What do they teach you little girls in school nowadays?
You are such an a$$, a notorious one at that!
Re: Peculiar Behaviours Related To Culture or Race by KB1(m): 5:49pm On Oct 16, 2008
Nigerians love to suck their teeth as a sign of displeasure toward another person. Why is this?
Re: Peculiar Behaviours Related To Culture or Race by DeepZone: 6:38pm On Oct 16, 2008
Gamine:

Ya, Hausa pipu no like book and they are very dirrty

Very uncouth. There are igbos, Ghananians, Bini's in the same shoe.
Re: Peculiar Behaviours Related To Culture or Race by Gamine(f): 6:47pm On Oct 16, 2008
Uncouth?

Only if you had a figment of ACS undecided
Re: Peculiar Behaviours Related To Culture or Race by OrumbaS89(f): 6:56pm On Oct 16, 2008
For the sake of frankness, all African people have these traits.

1. Loud Talking: Whether it be on the phone or to a person right next to you, African people tend to speak a little louder.
2. Having heated arguements and then making up rather quickly
3. Pursuit of success: Even a Nigerian prostitute wants to be the top prostitute.
Re: Peculiar Behaviours Related To Culture or Race by DeepZone: 7:04pm On Oct 16, 2008
Gamine:

Uncouth?

Only if you had a figment of ACS undecided
@bold,
Re: Peculiar Behaviours Related To Culture or Race by DeepZone: 7:05pm On Oct 16, 2008
OrumbaS89:

For the sake of frankness, all African people have these traits.

1. Loud Talking: Whether it be on the phone or to a person right next to you, African people tend to speak a little louder.
2. Having heated arguements and then making up rather quickly
3. Pursuit of success: Even a Nigerian prostitute wants to be the top prostitute.

Chinese, Arabian etc all pursue success, abi? Why do you think it's peculiar to Nigerians?
Re: Peculiar Behaviours Related To Culture or Race by OrumbaS89(f): 10:51pm On Oct 16, 2008
Deep-
Because of the way our culture expects it. Titles, money, and status are really important in African culture.
Re: Peculiar Behaviours Related To Culture or Race by tamme: 12:47am On Jul 15, 2009
Chinese-stingy
Re: Peculiar Behaviours Related To Culture or Race by Nobody: 1:56am On Jul 16, 2009
this one na JAMB topic.

(1) (Reply)

What Does The Name "Adetomiwa" Mean? / I Am The Highest King In Yoruba Land, I Speak With Thunder In My Mouth – / Is Amanayabo An Ijaw Word?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.