Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,068 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:08 AM

Storage Of Farm Produce - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Storage Of Farm Produce (22620 Views)

Please Caption This Wonderful Farm Produce. Picture. / Large Acres Of Farm Lands For Sale in Edo State. / Farming Explode:over 2000 Hectas Of Farm Land For Sale In OGUN State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Storage Of Farm Produce by jamp: 6:50am On Aug 02, 2014
Hello fellow farmers.i opened this thread for us to rob minds on how to effectively process and store farm produce. Storing farm produce is another way of making money in addition to what we are doing already.

For example, someone mentioned in another thread how he bought melon for 28K and sold it 43k after 2-3 months of storage. Last year people bought yam for N100 and now they are selling 500-700

pls lets share how we can process and store different farm produce.

Pls no selling of book here. Its just a discussion thread.

3 Likes

Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by jamp: 10:42am On Aug 03, 2014
My targets in this year harvest are yam and beans.
I need suggestions on how to store the yam and beans for reselling next year.
Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by dav8id(m): 3:40pm On Aug 04, 2014
jamp: Hello fellow farmers.i opened this thread for us to rob minds on how to effectively process and store farm produce. Storing farm produce is another way of making money in addition to what we are doing already.

For example, someone mentioned in another thread how he bought melon for 28K and sold it 43k after 2-3 months of storage. Last year people bought yam for N100 and now they are selling 500-700

pls lets share how we can process and store different farm produce.

Pls no selling of book here. Its just a discussion thread.

Thank you for seing the portatial of farm produce storage business.yes someone created a thread on melon storage and that person is ME but let me correct you. The size of the bag is 29 not the amount,last year we purchase it at 14k and 15k and the size of the bag is 29. Some resell at 28k after storage of 2 to 3 months and some resell at 48k after storage of 6 to 7 months..

1 Like

Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by dav8id(m): 3:46pm On Aug 04, 2014
yam storage is very simple though i did not involved on it but many of my friends and family member do the business, you can buy yam at cheapest price from same market i mentioned in my egusi thread.
All what you need to do is to make sure the yam avoid direct contact with the floor if it happen you store it in a room. You need to spread sand in the room then spread dry grasses on top of the sand and then you lay the yam on it in stantding position.

4 Likes

Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by Juliana7: 8:29pm On Aug 04, 2014
Hmmm, wow. Pls more info
Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by stagger: 8:48pm On Aug 04, 2014
dav8id: yam storage is very simple though i did not involved on it but many of my friends and family member do the business, you can buy yam at cheapest price from same market i mentioned in my egusi thread.
All what you need to do is to make sure the yam avoid direct contact with the floor if it happen you store it in a room. You need to spread sand in the room then spread dry grasses on top of the sand and then you lay the yam on it in stantding position.

Why not just store the yam by building a yam barn? That was how the Igbos used to do it and indeed, the wealth of an Igbo man in those days was measured by the size of his yam barns and the contents.

These principles of wealth creation have not changed; the white man simply blinded us and we became enslaved thereafter.

4 Likes

Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by dav8id(m): 9:47pm On Aug 04, 2014
stagger:

Why not just store the yam by building a yam barn? That was how the Igbos used to do it and indeed, the wealth of an Igbo man in those days was measured by the size of his yam barns and the contents.

These principles of wealth creation have not changed; the white man simply blinded us and we became enslaved thereafter.
Different method from different society
Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by jamp: 10:50pm On Aug 04, 2014
stagger:

The white men destroyed our culture by introducing white collar jobs that made people lazy.

3 Likes

Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by jamp: 10:53pm On Aug 04, 2014
@dav8id, how do i control rat and other insects that might attack the yam. I intend to store the yam for at least 6months.

also what about the beans. How do I store it .
Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by shadowwalker101: 2:05am On Aug 05, 2014
okay let us rub minds
[img]http://www.?aff=391[/img]
Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by dstnd: 2:06am On Aug 05, 2014
una no deh sleep
Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by Afrocatalyst: 2:27am On Aug 05, 2014
Signing up...
Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by pussypounder(m): 2:36am On Aug 05, 2014
Ladies, I am looking for where to pour my thick akamu, it has been in the storage for some weeks now, i need a girl that would spit or swallow

10 Likes

Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by 2baga(m): 2:50am On Aug 05, 2014
grin ;DI will sleep when I am rich and my account is fat and shapeless ;DI will sleep when I am rich and my account is fat and shapeless
Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by sholay2011(m): 3:35am On Aug 05, 2014
Nice thread.
Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by ramalot(m): 4:06am On Aug 05, 2014
ask OBJ
Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by Avast(m): 4:19am On Aug 05, 2014
CAN ANY BODY HERE EXPLAIN WHAT IS MEANT BY MOISTURE ACCUMULATION IN STORAGE FACILITY[code][/code]
Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by missterious(f): 4:33am On Aug 05, 2014
I think you can store beans for up to 6 months with Phostoxin tablets, 1 or 2 tablets per 1000kg of beans. Make sure it has no contact with the beans though, wrap it up before putting in the bag.
Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by searay(m): 4:43am On Aug 05, 2014
Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by seye15627(m): 4:48am On Aug 05, 2014
Nice thread, I'm following
Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by OkikiOluwa1(m): 4:54am On Aug 05, 2014
jamp:

The white men destroyed our culture by introducing white collar jobs that made people lazy.
out of point

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by Nobody: 5:03am On Aug 05, 2014
Very true,may God deliver us from white mans lies.
stagger:

Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by englishmart(m): 6:17am On Aug 05, 2014
Build a big flat and store everything there

Thank me later
Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by Walexz02(m): 6:33am On Aug 05, 2014
For vegetable and other perishable products, i know of pot-in-pot storage. It can make your vegetable fresh for up to 9 days or even more cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by bosunjohns(m): 6:48am On Aug 05, 2014
I'm in!
Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by mu2sa2: 6:57am On Aug 05, 2014
dstnd: una no deh sleep
And you posted this while sleeping!!
Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by MoyoGENERAL: 7:02am On Aug 05, 2014
ppl just wan make FP at all cost..even if they have nothing tangible to contribute,...
na so we go dey dey?...
soon now, men go dey runz FP!!!!
....me sef join FP for this one!!!!!
I go comment sha....
you know say different kinds of yam dey, from water to yellow to Chinese to trifoliate yam, before you store, ensure careful harvesting is done to prevent bruises which can pave way for decay during storage...
..after this you then CURE the yam to make the layers hard and prevent from quick attack from fungicide. you can achieve this simply by pitting( dig small pit, arrange ur yams in it and cover with thin soil) for just 10-14 days...
after this, you can now employ any storage method of your choice, be it barn, open shelf, ventilated pits....
....if you do this, if your yams no last for 4 months and above.... then na SPIRITUAL yam oooo!!!!
BTW...you go thank me later...
my own two cents!
God save the farmer.

1 Like

Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by Dvoice123(m): 7:19am On Aug 05, 2014
I am a witness to this thread on storage of agric produce.I do and I also teach people how to invest in produce and earn over 200% ROI.contact me for more info.07034506156.Abuja.
Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by jamp: 7:53am On Aug 05, 2014
MoyoGENERAL: ppl just wan make FP at all cost..even if they have nothing tangible to contribute,...
na so we go dey dey?...
soon now, men go dey runz FP!!!!
....me sef join FP for this one!!!!!
I go comment sha....
you know say different kinds of yam dey, from water to yellow to Chinese to trifoliate yam, before you store, ensure careful harvesting is done to prevent bruises which can pave way for decay during storage...
..after this you then CURE the yam to make the layers hard and prevent from quick attack from fungicide. you can achieve this simply by pitting( dig small pit, arrange ur yams in it and cover with thin soil) for just 10-14 days...
after this, you can now employ any storage method of your choice, be it barn, open shelf, ventilated pits....
....if you do this, if your yams no last for 4 months and above.... then na SPIRITUAL yam oooo!!!!
BTW...you go thank me later...
my own two cents!
God save the farmer.

thank you very much for this input. this year yam is very costly and those who prepared well are already making money. as the new yeam is coming out the old one is becoming expensive.
Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by jamp: 7:55am On Aug 05, 2014
hello house, lets shed more light on how to store the following:

maize(esp for poultry farmers)
tomato(for cateens)
cassava(for garri proceesing, akpu and for exporting biz)
melon(there is a thread for this)
soya bean,
vegetables(ugu, waterleaf, etc)

these are money spinning biz and i want guys to venture into any of them
Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by J0nyb0y(m): 7:58am On Aug 05, 2014
Guys in the Agriculture sector should give us info
Re: Storage Of Farm Produce by Nazysandy(f): 8:22am On Aug 05, 2014
Yam is best preserved by putting them in barns then as for cereals/grains, putting them in silos or air tight container that will prevent moisture accumulation or weevil attack. The grains can still be treated with pesticides to keep these weevils away.
Vegetables can be put in green leaves to preserve them for a while but not for a longer period due to its perishable nature.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Garri Ijebu Available 20 paints buckets 53kg ,7000per bag in Lagos / Fear Of Cow Blood Is The No-stress Cow Deterrent For Farmers / My Maize Farm Journey

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.