Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,184 members, 7,953,655 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 09:59 PM

We Are Able(a Touching Story) - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / We Are Able(a Touching Story) (119787 Views)

We Are Able (A Touching Story) / We Are Able (A TOUCHING STORY) / My Story, My Life (A Touching Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Timothy3113(m): 7:49pm On Aug 03, 2014
Hmm
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 7:56pm On Aug 03, 2014
me jst want to peep ni o, i wont comment
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 8:59pm On Aug 03, 2014
Omortolah: me jst want to peep ni o, i wont comment

So what have u just done

Only Timothy3113 didn't comment, he just sounded 'hmmm' grin
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 9:41pm On Aug 03, 2014
SammyHoe:

So what have u just done

Only Timothy3113 didn't comment, he just sounded 'hmmm' grin
lol...na slip of tongue
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Lorlaahlozz: 9:46pm On Aug 03, 2014
Omortolah: lol...na slip of tongue
Btday babe
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 9:53pm On Aug 03, 2014
Lorlaahlozz: Btday babe
yes aunty

1 Like

Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 10:03pm On Aug 03, 2014
[b]Chapter Two

I watch as mother and father argue over the matter. My father moves close to her and pointed a finger at her eyes. I feel blood rushing to my head.

Mother tells me that two weeks pay will be deducted from father's salary. I laugh.

"Good for him," I tell mother. Father sees the smile on my face and he was suspicious.

Why should I not be glad that my dad is going to lose part of his money? If I am not glad about it, who then should be? That man isn't the one paying for my school fee. He has stopped doing that since the year before. From the onset of my schooling, he objected to my schooling, believing it is an effort in futility.

John won't see anything good in having a handicapped educated.

"What is the usefulness of a disabled child?" he would tell my mother.He began to militate against my remaining in school. He wants me out by all means, complaining that it is a sheer waste of money.

I feel useless when John gives me the reasons why I shouldn't remain in school. It was the first time he would communicate with me through letter:

What do you intend doing after school? Doctor? Nurse? Lawyer? Engineer? Pilot? You can't do any of those or anything in life without your ears and mouth, I hope you know. Rose, I hereby want to advise you to pull out of school and master house works because that is the only thing you can do without your ears and mouth.

I have wanted these ever since; only that mother insisted I should remain in school. I am not an education enthusiast, but I am not bad in school at all. Now, father says he won't pay my fee, so what is the essence of arguing with him now?

I know John is only trying to hurt my feeling, but he was shocked when I laughed for the first time and wrote back to him, "Thank you so much. I have been looking forward to that."

I had only stayed two weeks away from school when my mother came with a big shock.

"Rose, you are returning to school?"

"What!" I responded in my sign language. My oval-shaped mouth also synched the word. I have learnt a lot from lip-reading my teachers in school, such that I could figure out some things people are saying with their mouths.

"You have won a scholarship!" Mother said.

"How?" I asked, puzzled. I haven't applied for any scholarship.

"Last year when your father began threatening to pull you out of school, I decided to apply for a scholarship for you and..."

I held my mother's hands. I didn't want to see more of her speech. I didn't buy the idea of returning to school.

"Please tell the scholarship sponsors to stop wasting their monies on disabled like me," I say. "No matter what they spend, I will remain disabled in life."

I rushed to my room and held tight to my pillow. Tears was soaking the soft pillow in my grip. I took a little time gazing at the wall. My thought began to speak out:

They teach us that God is kind, but here am I...I can't speak. If he is kind, why can't he make me like the other people? I came to the world, useless. How am I different from the animals in the jungle? I learnt that animals can't speak too. Little wonder Bayo keeps putting leaf inside his mouth every time, just to show me that I am a herbivorous animal...

My nape felt a touch. The sensation slid down and rested on my left shoulder. I have shut my eyes long ago, only feeling the seepage of my tears on my cheeks.

It was mother's touch. If I knew she would be coming in, I would have bolted the door. I don't want to go to school.

"You are able, Rose," mother says.

"A proof or I don't believe it," I respond.

"A proof?" Mother said. She was confused.

"Tell me what a deaf person can do that a normal person cannot do. Tell me the job I can be offered without my ears and mouth functioning. After then, I might reconsider schooling."

Mother racked her brain. She scratched her braided hair for answer such that the bobby pins on them began to fall off. Still, no answer to give.

"Tell the sponsor of that scholarship to transfer it to a normal person. I am done with schooling," I say.

Mother sat on the bedside. I could see her throat moving up and down like a jangrover. Her red lips come out to lick her tears intermittently.

"For how long, Rose, for how long will I keep begging you to stop being inferior? Rose, just...just..."

I have buried my face in the pillow. I don't want to go to school. Period!

In the end I decided to comply. Ever since, I've been on scholarship, so John's salary could keep on decreasing, how should I care?

But I still want to know what brings the disabled at par with the normal people. If my mum and my class-teacher can't give me the proof that I am able in three weeks time, I shall go on personal strike.
[/b]

3 Likes

Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by barackodam: 10:20pm On Aug 03, 2014
smiley
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by akinkudin: 10:29pm On Aug 03, 2014
*Not a comment*

I can see SammyHoe is creating another masterpiece here..Nice one!

*Still, not a comment..LOLgrin*
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by PrinceAdepoju(m): 10:33pm On Aug 03, 2014
You started another story, Boss.
You started another story, Boss.
I'm Wowed cheesy

*grabs my handkerchief and pillow*
It's gonna be a very touching story.........touching already. sad
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by DONMAYOR19(m): 11:16pm On Aug 03, 2014
I love Rose, but she is deaf and dumb, if rose see this word eh, she go cry tire. Meanwhile more power to ur elbow Sammy, u are naturally good, ur story is really captivating and someone will always want to know what happen next, yet is always full of suspense and mostly unpredictable....in sign language....#UareGood
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by amsad19(m): 11:45pm On Aug 03, 2014
i did not see my name in d ebiag family names wetin happen @sammy?
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by LarrySun(m): 12:20am On Aug 04, 2014
Keeping my fingers crossed.
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by stormybucci(m): 12:39am On Aug 04, 2014
abi iyaf nor follow ni... if i no follow till d end make my xxxx bend....**speaks in bent english** sammyhoe u are look 4 my wahala ooo... mtcheew (didn't say or type anything ooo, all dis are going on in my mind, so i no talk or comment ooo)
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 2:22am On Aug 04, 2014
amsad19: i did not see my name in d ebiag family names wetin happen @sammy?

Ow! I am very sorry. Our automatic computer will include your name right now... lol.
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 2:38am On Aug 04, 2014
[b]
CHAPTER THREE

It is such a great hell for my dad while he was at home those two weeks. The man loves to go to work. If possible, he will make his workplace a permanent abode, just to avoid what he calls a sick home.

John tells my mother to allow me remain at home with him, but the woman rejects blatantly.

What is my father's motive for demanding such thing? I am just eleven, so what do I know?

At school, I begin the question again:

"Is there any reason for God creating us like this?" I ask my clasateacher. She was rash at saying yes, yet she couldn't state a reason.

"Rose, you ask too much. Stop thinking of what you can't do; think of what you can do."

"What can I do?"

"You can see, walk and..."

"That's normal," I say. "Everybody else can do those things too."

"But Joshua and Gbade can't do any of those things," she says.

My hands drop. To raise them, no vigour. Each time I remember the case of Joshua and Gbade, I always feel like climbing a ladder to heaven to pull God down and fight him.

Joshua is paralysed and at the same time blind. Gbade's case is the worse; he is deaf and dumb as well as blind and lame. If John is Gbade's father he would have thrown him inside the Oke Afa canal.

Some sweat pour down my neck and soaked my school uniform. Now I begin to imagine how Gbade has been able to survive the hardship he is into.

It is just two days left for my father's suspension to be over when something strange happens. That day, mother carries me home in father's blue volkswagen car. We open the door of the house and to our surprise, daddy and another lady were kissing each other in the parlour.

They see us but did as if they didn't.
I began to see many mouths moving. I began to imagine the conversation they were making:

"What is happening?" my mother cries out.

"Is she your wife?" the woman says. It seems she has just come out of her senses.

"Em...you are my real wife, not her," daddy says without any humane feeling.

"John!" my mother cries. The man just looks away lackadaisically and hissed.

"Em...Toyosi, leave that scallywag alone and let's continue our love."

Right before my eyes my mother is being denied of her marital right. This is not right. I made a shrilled sound. At least I can shout even though I am dumb.

Daddy gets irritated and comes for me at once. Mother stands in his way. The wicked man pushes his wife out of the way. She loses balance and falls. I guess mother must have broken some bones in the process.

Now I remain still, harden myself so I can be prepared for daddy's beating. He looks on at me and I don't know why he didn't pounce on me as his manner is. He stands gazing at me for a while, then he carries my mother up. She can't stand on her own anymore.

I have to check on my mother in the hospital the next day. I have missed school that day. She is on wheelchair, her hands and legs on bandage. We look on at each other. She can't communicate with me right now because she can't move her hands.

"Get well soon mummy," I say, kneels before her and went down on her laps, weeping.

"Mummy, what is the matter with daddy?" I ask in tears. My mother can't move her hands so there is no way she will signal her response to me.
[/b]

4 Likes

Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by toykathy(f): 2:50am On Aug 04, 2014
Na me fiirst read dis one o, chai! Weldone Sammy!

1 Like

Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 2:51am On Aug 04, 2014
toykathy: Na me fiirst read dis one o, chai! Weldone Sammy!

Gud morning ma
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by toykathy(f): 2:57am On Aug 04, 2014
Gud mawnin 2u too boss. U wicked o, why u come use my name as d kill joy nau?
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 3:00am On Aug 04, 2014
toykathy: Gud mawnin 2u too boss. U wicked o, why u come use my name as d kill joy nau?

Haba!!! I no sabi say u be Toyin o. Okay nah, b4 ppl begin to wake up and see it, I will change it but only on one condition:

*you will bribe me with kolanut grin*
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by toykathy(f): 3:09am On Aug 04, 2014
Hmm, nice try but i'll pass wink
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by 3Dimension: 7:10am On Aug 04, 2014
Breach of communication between the mother n daughter. Chai.

Ooopps!! I forgot!! no comment!!
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by maputohq: 8:36am On Aug 04, 2014
Crying...would someone stop this?...weeping profusely...let a Kind soul comfort me..this girl is suffering... continue weeping.
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by DONMAYOR19(m): 1:25pm On Aug 04, 2014
All iz well.....
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by PrinceAdepoju(m): 1:52pm On Aug 04, 2014
SammyHoe:

Haba!!! I no sabi say u be Toyin o. Okay nah, b4 ppl begin to wake up and see it, I will change it but only on one condition:

*you will bribe me with kolanut grin*
and bitter-kola to prevent..............*runs outta thread*
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Temmytayo20(f): 2:03pm On Aug 04, 2014
Hmmmmm
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Aisha800(f): 2:04pm On Aug 04, 2014
Sammy hoe this story is perfect but pls don't make me cry
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 2:10pm On Aug 04, 2014
Aisha800: Sammy hoe this story is perfect but pls don't make me cry

I won't
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by PrinceAdepoju(m): 2:14pm On Aug 04, 2014
*spits in my hand and begins to make incatations and tongues*

Na three times I will call you oooo, you must answer me the third on this thread ooo

Oya,
Maputohq oooooooo
Maputohq ooooooo

na third time be this oo

MAPUTOHQ ooooooooooooo

*prepares a seat for him*

We've got a new member Ebiagites, help me welcome him
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by maputohq: 3:11pm On Aug 04, 2014
PrinceAdepoju: *spits in my hand and begins to make incatations and tongues*

Na three times I will call you oooo, you must answer me the third on this thread ooo

Oya,
Maputohq oooooooo
Maputohq ooooooo

na third time be this oo

MAPUTOHQ ooooooooooooo

*prepares a seat for him*

We've got a new member Ebiagites, help me welcome him
I'm here.
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by PrinceAdepoju(m): 3:14pm On Aug 04, 2014
maputohq:
I'm here.
you're welcome, sir.

Sammy Hoe, please welcome a new Ebiagite cheesy
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by odunayo92: 3:24pm On Aug 04, 2014
Nice one, pls. Kip it up

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (35) (Reply)

A Fatal Love {Sequel to 'The Sugar Mum'} / Make Me A Wife / PERFIDY- A STORY OF LOVE,BETRAYAL AND DECEIT

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.