Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,326 members, 7,829,825 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:14 PM

We Are Able(a Touching Story) - Literature (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / We Are Able(a Touching Story) (118420 Views)

We Are Able (A Touching Story) / We Are Able (A TOUCHING STORY) / My Story, My Life (A Touching Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by bookj(f): 2:52pm On Sep 09, 2014
Oga Sammy make u quickly update b4 I vex crash dis place o, my body dey hot o. Don't dare me, at d count of 3 update o, 1.......
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Sirfocuz(m): 2:57pm On Sep 09, 2014
Update d rest chapter pls.
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by tattesco(m): 3:41pm On Sep 09, 2014
I think its time to protest o. Bro sammy. Where u dey.
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 5:04pm On Sep 09, 2014
Bro Sammy,dis one wen u suspend us like dis,no be am at all o!
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Cindydearie(f): 6:14pm On Sep 09, 2014
Oga sammy come nah
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Uthman51(m): 7:23pm On Sep 09, 2014
Boss!!!!!!
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by seunviju(f): 10:25pm On Sep 09, 2014
Another evil has bin done by Toyosi and john again.abeg kan do something 2 this suspense o.welldone sir
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Jasminelilian(f): 11:15pm On Sep 09, 2014
oga sammy am running out of patience.pls come n update
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Eniqurl(f): 12:50am On Sep 10, 2014
At dz junction ah hve tu comment....Good wrk bro, mre ink tu ur pen buh y d suspense nah? Update asap plz.
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by lekinz(m): 6:23am On Sep 10, 2014
Walks in with my dagger and chicken lap

Nice write up bro ...

Feed me more ASAP !!!
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by bookj(f): 8:14am On Sep 10, 2014
Oga Sammy u know I don dey warn u, update dis tin nw b4 I crash dis place o, it b lyk say u dey try me...... If I call u 3times ansa me o. Sammyyyy o, elekini niyin o, sammyyyy ooooo, na d 2nd tym b dat after dis third tym make dis juju make ur body hot so tey u go update kia kia, saaammyyyyyyy Oooooo

3 Likes

Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Niwdog(m): 8:45am On Sep 10, 2014
Wia is this guy naw??come and finish wht u started #biko
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by tattesco(m): 10:17am On Sep 10, 2014
Since yesterday. Where is this man now.
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by tattesco(m): 10:31am On Sep 10, 2014
bookj: Oga Sammy u know I don dey warn u, update dis tin nw b4 I crash dis place o, it b lyk say u dey try me...... If I call u 3times ansa me o. Sammyyyy o, elekini niyin o, sammyyyy ooooo, na d 2nd tym b dat after dis third tym make dis juju make ur body hot so tey u go update kia kia, saaammyyyyyyy Oooooo
. Ahhhhhhhh
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 10:50am On Sep 10, 2014
Pls don't be angry with me for not updating yet. It's due to power failure. I'm in a cafe right now, trying to get my phone charged. A little more patient. Thanks.
To keep yourself busy, you can check on my story, EVERYBODY IS A GENIUS...it's just on page 2 or 3, so you can follow it too. Click this link: https://www.nairaland.com/1880835/everybody-genius-citizen-gyrus
@Tattesco, pls don't crash this thread o
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by talk2riel: 11:22am On Sep 10, 2014
lekinz: Walks in with my dagger and chicken lap

Nice write up bro ...

Feed me more ASAP !!!
This is one serious case o, hope nah plastic dagger you carry?
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 11:40am On Sep 10, 2014
talk2riel:
This is one serious case o, hope nah plastic dagger you carry?

Leave am nah! With my hoe and cutlass, that dagger is nothing.
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by spembassy: 1:59pm On Sep 10, 2014
This story na DORO 9ICE
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 2:06pm On Sep 10, 2014
spembassy: This story na DORO 9ICE

What about DORO DBANJ? grin
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Niwdog(m): 2:38pm On Sep 10, 2014
SammyHoe:

DORO BANGALEE
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by spembassy: 2:42pm On Sep 10, 2014
SammyHoe:

naa DORO Kcee
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by tattesco(m): 3:18pm On Sep 10, 2014
spembassy: naa DORO Kcee
naa dorowizzy
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 3:38pm On Sep 10, 2014
Na Doro we go eat

Update is ready joor>>> grin
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Skimpledawg(m): 3:41pm On Sep 10, 2014
Omortolah: u're wlcm bt dnt let that alomo pour on me oh
Calm down, d alomo is chilled! Yu will enjoy it grin
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 3:41pm On Sep 10, 2014
Update...dedicated to everyone who have commented on this thread. Thanks for your patience...
[b]

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

I was filled with suspense as I awaited Toyosi to tell me where my mother was. Perhaps, she had taken her somewhere to kill her.

"Impossible," I said to myself.

Toyosi pulled me by my hair as she led me to my room and began to throw my things out from there. She then led me to the kitchen to show me where I would be lodging henceforth. I would be living with the rats over there.

Toyosi tore a sheet of paper and wrote all the rules and regulations I must follow there. They were very many.

I began to read:

Deaf Rose, henceforth here are the things you must observe:
You should not step your toes in the parlour except whenever you are needed there. You are now a housemaid and nothing more. You will only be fed once in a day as from now. You will cook, wash the plates, clothes and clean the house every time. There is no more school for you--your room is the kitchen henceforth...

The rules were without end.

Toyosi pushed me. When I fell, she pinned me to the ground with her right hand.

My suffering started afresh. I had returned to my old self, this time worse. Toyosi had now made my father's home her permanent residence. I wondered if her husband wasn't concerned about her whereabouts.

I couldn't do anything well at the thought of my mother. It was already a week and I still didn't know what happened to her. I was living a hell on earth.

Toyosi would beat me up at will. She would complain that I had put too much salt in the meal. All the clothes I had just washed, she would demand I rewash them because they were not as clean as she wanted.

Toyosi wasn't going anywhere anymore. Maybe because of me I didn't know. She was always at home, monitoring me. She would prevent me from leaving the house. As if she knew that leaving the house was the next thing on mind. If only I could get out of this house arrest, then the next step would be for me to flee the house.

I could earn a living outside, I thought. My mind flashed back to that swindler feigning deaf and dumb that day. I would just do something similar: I would write I AM DEAF AND DUMB on a paper and laminate it. Then I would put it on my chest and beg for alms. But how could I possibly get out of the house?

Whenever Toyosi was leaving for the market, she would lock me in and take the keys with her. That would be the only time I would have the opportunity to visit the parlour.

Bode was my regular human-guest in the kitchen, always there to bully on me. I had many non-human guests; geckos, cockroaches and rats. At night mosquitoes would lodge with me too.

I had made some big yams into pillow. A bag of rice was my mattress. Rats and cockroaches would run around my body as I lay flat like a handfan.

I was desperately seeking a way out. My poem book was nowhere to be found. I didn't get talked to by anyone. I had developed phobia already, fearing everything around me. Even Bode could walk up to me and give me a slap on the face. My confidence had vanished.

I became sickly. My appearance had gone imbecilic. I do fold my hands together all the time, shaking like a cloth spread on the line.

One day, I got to the parlour while everyone had gone out of the house. I lay on the sofa and sighed. The fan was pouring its breeze on me. My stepmother mustn't come and meet me there, else I would be doomed.

Toyosi got in suddenly. I was in soup. If only I had some functioning ears I would have heard the sound of the door as she was turning the keys in the keyhole.

Toyosi thumped hard on me until I was no more on earth. My mother's aparition appeared to me and spoke to me. She said she had been killed by Toyosi. She said she didn't want me to die too, so I should rise up again.

I felt a blow at my back. When I raised my head, Toyosi poured a pail of water on me. She was laughing. I thought I was destined for suffering so I accepted my fate.

The courage to write a poem was no more in me. The zeal had died since Toyosi tore the book I was writing them in. I remembered what my classteacher told me; so how would I come in contact with that publishing company, Judimax? I had better give it all up.

The world was no more worth living in; no one to share my pain with me...just only me in the planet earth. I had totally accepted my fate. Now a little surge of strength had engulfed me. I would confront Toyosi and ask her for my mother once more. This time around, I will pull up a strong face teeming with audacity. I thought I had nothing to lose at this juncture. Nothing worse could come on me since I had already experienced the worst tragedy anyone could have.

I walked right into the parlour. She was having her head on a pillow, having ensconced herself on the sofa. I had no fear. I tapped her shoulder and stood tall. If I perish, I perish, I thought like the biblical queen.

Toyosi never expected it. She was stunned when she saw that I was the one tapping. She must have thought that it was Bode, going by the way she was turning lazily from side to side while I was tapping her.

I read her lips. She had just said 'What!' I was prepared for the worst. She had warned me not to ever step my feet into the parlour except if she needed me there. As a matter of fact, the only time Toyosi would need me was when food was ready. I would have to set the table for the family and return to my corner--the kitchen.

Toyosi's eyeballs bounced like basketballs in their sockets. She was ready to pounce on me. My look was stern right now. I was ready for her.

"What do you want?" she said with sound language which I understood going by the movement of her lips. I had been very familar with such lip movement.

I didn't need to sign anything. I just gave her a note I had written earlier and then I sank into a chair opposite her. She raised her head to lengthen her look. Her mouth was wide agape.

Toyosi began to feed her eyes with the content of the note I wrote there. I was expecting a reply, but for minutes she was still having her head bent, perhaps absorbed in the one-sentence note I gave her.

Is there anything in there to ponder about for so long? I ruminated. I stood up and walked close to her. I signed my request before her face right now.
Definitely, she had murdered my mother, I thought as I gave consideration to the vision I saw in my trance when she beat me to blackout earlier.

The simple question I asked in that note was "Where is my mother?"

Toyosi stood up in a flash. She was speechless. I stiffened my bone as I got prepared to get a spicy slap on my cheek. Her shoulder touched my forehead while she was rising up. To my amazement she just walked away.

Toyosi returned with a pen and a notebook. She began to write something. When she was done, she gave me the note and stared into my face.

I took a little time to stare back into her eyeballs. Her big almond eyes reminded me of the almond fruit. I began to read:

You asked a question and I have an answer for you; your mother has returned to her habitat, the prison. Well, it was a funny little trick back then. We got your mother out by bribing the chief warder and everybody we needed to bribe. It was for a little time, so she would return back there. Oh! You would need to see the horror on your mother's face when I led her to three policemen at our return from Abuja. I told them she was an escaped prisoner.
Your mother was arrested and taken back to the chief warder. Her jailterm would no more be two years but five, says the chief warder. Rose, I hope you're now clear of it all.

My tears dropped on the note and my eyes went dim, but there was more to read.

Last month, November, your classteacher was here to see your mother and you. I told her you now leave in Abuja, schooling there, so she wouldn't bother coming to see you anymore. And as you know already, your aunty has travelled out, so then, tell me who will fight for you. Who else knows you are existing, no one? Not even your father. He sees you as dead, just the way I also see you.

I let the note fall off my grip as I sighed. Knowing that my mother was still alive was all I cared about. Let Toyosi do whatever she could, I wasn't going to be moved.

Toyosi picked the note. It was as if she still had something to write:

Two men walked in here just yesterday; they got your contact address from your school. They said you won a publishing contract with them. I chased them out with a turning stick when they wouldn't want to admit that it was the wrong address they had. They wouldn't dare look for you again because I threatened to pour acid on them at their next visit. Ask me where your poem notebook is right now; I turned it into mash and flushed it down the sink. Gone forever!

I knew what I would do if there seemed to be no one to talk to. I would rather find solace in that book my aunty told me about--the bible. She said it could comfort one. I have read it sometimes in the past but eventually, I gave it up.

Now I had no Bible, but John had one dusty one he kept inside his room, on a small table beside his bed. If only I could get in there to have it, then all would be well, I thought. My father wouldn't even look for it even if I took it from there, because he had abandoned it since I was three according to what my mother told me.

Toyosi laughed and laughed as she stood up to go to her room. She didn't chase me out of the parlour right now and I was surprised at her behaviour.

I sat down confidently to watch the ongoing programme on the TV. Only God knew what they were saying in that big box. All they were saying fell on my 'deaf ears' or maybe they were just miming.

Bode had just awoken from sleep. He spread-eagled as he began to laze towards me. He frowned and yelled when he saw me:

"Mummy! Rose is in the parlour!" I knew that was what he was saying repeatedly, having studied his lips movement. He walked away in shame when no one answered him.[/b]
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by PrinceAdepoju(m): 3:53pm On Sep 10, 2014
I knew it!! I said it!!!

Walahi, Sàngó ló ma pa Toyosi!!

Well,

###FirstToEatgringringringrin
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Timcy2(m): 3:56pm On Sep 10, 2014
oh no. i just believe dey evil dat men do, lives wit dem.
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 4:00pm On Sep 10, 2014
@Prince Adepoju, why did u say that about Rose nah? Maybe u wanted to say 'Toyosi' undecided
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by pricelesslove(f): 4:13pm On Sep 10, 2014
na wa ooo. the heart of men is really wicked. i pity Rose.
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Niwdog(m): 5:15pm On Sep 10, 2014
That woman is younger sister to luciphar...na 4 gulter she go die

1 Like

Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by tattesco(m): 5:18pm On Sep 10, 2014
SammyHoe: Pls don't be angry with me for not updating yet. It's due to power failure. I'm in a cafe right now, trying to get my phone charged. A little more patient. Thanks.
To keep yourself busy, you can check on my story, EVERYBODY IS A GENIUS...it's just on page 2 or 3, so you can follow it too. Click this link: https://www.nairaland.com/1880835/everybody-genius-citizen-gyrus
@Tattesco, pls don't crash this thread o
. Ah bro sammy what have I done. Hmmmmm touching story . May God help Rose. I sign out oooo.
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 5:21pm On Sep 10, 2014
Niwdog: That woman is younger sister to luciphar...na 4 gulter she go die

Ahn ahn, beta don't let Toyosi hear you o.

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (35) (Reply)

A Fatal Love {Sequel to 'The Sugar Mum'} / The Handsome Devil I Know / Make Me A Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.