Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,726 members, 7,816,987 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:19 PM

We Are Able(a Touching Story) - Literature (34) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / We Are Able(a Touching Story) (118270 Views)

We Are Able (A Touching Story) / We Are Able (A TOUCHING STORY) / My Story, My Life (A Touching Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 10:40am On Nov 24, 2014
...continuation

CHAPTER FORTY-ONE
The search for Bode began. Toyosi and John wept all days for him. They had visited everywhere they could to find him. Mrs Omotayo had also combed everywhere for Taiba who also fled during the bomb blast. Now I knew what really happened—it was a bomb blast in the Ikeja Army Cantonment. The latest news had it that the bombs were kept in an airtight underground and became heated up. So, there was ignition and they blasted.
I secretly went through some of the newspapers my father bought—a lot of them, because he needed to keep himself abreast of all the information pertaining to the bomb blast. He needed Bode so much.
Toyosi had grown lean, just within few days after the incident. It was obvious that she was getting lean. To worsen the story of her life, her husband had notified her of his return to Nigeria in few days. Toyosi needed to get back to her husband’s house and pretend that she had been waiting there for him all the while.
My father was the most confused person in the world. If Bode would never be found, then he would have to bounce back to me and take me as his child, but would he be humble enough to apologize? That would be a question for another day.
I was walking on the street a week after the incident when I saw Obinna walking towards a house. Yes! We could get a clue to Bode’s whereabout from him, I thought. When I returned home that day, I told Toyosi about Obinna and we tried to locate his home.
Toyosi and John cried out loud when Obinna’s parent told them something. As I was able to make out, the boy himself had become deaf and dumb at the loud sound from the blasts of the bomb while he was running away with Bode. The real bomb was the shock of his best friend, Bode, who rushed into the Oke Afa canal and sank. Obinna saw his friend sinking in the mire; himself had to turn around and escape somehow from death.
As I learnt later, many souls were lost to the mysterious canal which I never knew was in existence until the occurrence of the bomb blast. I felt for Obinna. How would he feel now about the loss of his speech and auditory sense he was boasting about just few minutes before the blast? Would he now be the one to get offended seeing someone putting leaves inside the mouth? I thought. Sometimes anything that goes around comes around.
Toyosi fell and rolled on the floor. She was ready to die right inside Obinna’s house. John mustered much courage and helped her out of there. Obinna was just full of tears too—he was trying to look away from me, being overcome with shame. I wept for them.
I found it hard to believe that Bode was dead for real. When Mrs Omotayo heard that, she concluded that Taiba was dead too. How would the villagers feel whenever they hear of Taiba’s demise?
It was too ironical a thing to think about—five people in a house, three disabled and two able-bodied; a mishap came rocking and the disabled were able to survive while the able were not able to save themselves. There must be ability in disability, I thought. When I later told Biodun what I observed, he said it was the truth, because ‘ability’ was part of what makes the spelling of ‘disability’.
A day after Toyosi and John knew the truth about their son Bode, a great disagreement erupted between them. Toyosi fought hard to leave John and get away forever, but the man didn’t want her to leave. He confessed that he was already used to her.
I watched as the drama unfolded. Toyosi had her way and disappeared. John wept like a baby. He seemed to have lost everything—his child and his wife. I thought he would now at this moment set my mother free, but I was only making a big mistake.
The day after Toyosi left, early in the morning, I woke up but didn’t find my father. I went to the parlour, to my father’s room, to Bode’s room and to my mother’s room but he was nowhere near. The home was half-empty since they had sold almost everything in there earlier.
I sat on the only chair left in the parlour and noticed a note on the table. He must have left a letter for me. Now I needed to see what he had for me, apology and nothing else, I thought. Afterall, he had lost everything he thought he had earlier.
Rose, I have walked out of this house forever. Don’t expect to see me anytime soon because I will never return. I maintain, Rose, you are the cause of all my tragedy, because if I haven’t had you, I wouldn’t have had anything doing with any other woman, such that I impregnated Toyosi. If you have come out of your mother’s womb as a normal human being, I, John, would not have slept with another damsel and bring her home. If you have only come out whole from the womb, I would have been contented with you and your mother; but now everything I have is gone. I will go and start a new life. Next week the house rent for this flat will be due and you will be sent out by the caretaker. It is better for me to remain childless than having you as a child because you are as useless as nothing. Imagine, a child that will never get married. Goodbye Rose.
I screamed. Does that mean I would never know where my mother was? Now I would find John wherever he may be. I needed help here. Who would help? I thought.
Now I believed it was time to get on to my feet and fight for my right. John and Toyosi must not go scot-free, I thought. They must produce my mother. Now I had nothing more to lose. I would confide in Mrs Omotayo and give her my real identity, perhaps she could be of tremendous help. I would reveal my real identity—she must know that I am the daughter of John and not his housemaid as she thought I was.
I got up to my feet and began to make for the exit door.

1 Like

Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 10:41am On Nov 24, 2014
CHAPTER FORTY-TWO
I came out of our apartment and walked to Biodun’s apartment, knowing quite well that Mrs Omotayo would accept me. She had accepted me back since the day she discovered how I saved her children from death by feeding them with tea to recover them from their multiple shock—Bode’s rough-handling and the bomb blast.
I was surprised to see that they had a guest. Mrs Omotayo had travelled to the village so that she could tell the villagers the misfortune that had befallen their daughter, Taiba. She had to get someone to take care of her children in her absence.
Biodun and I had all the day to play. The nanny didn’t restrict us. She was amazed at the way we were doing. She just stood somewhere watching and laughing. I was tempted to tell Biodun what exactly I was to John, but I tried to hold it until Mrs Omotayo would be around.
Biodun’s mother returned the day after. She came with good news; Taiba was there in the village. She fled when the bomb would not stop blasting, telling everyone in the village that there was a terrible war in Lagos. So, now, it was only Bode who lost his life of everyone I knew. Maybe I would have been dead if not for the bomb blast, because I was almost going to give up in the hands of Bode and Obinna just when the first sets of bombs blasted.
I opened up to Mrs Omotayo who I really was. She was angry that I kept it that late. She wrote at length to me that we were going to fight to the end. She wanted me to take her to the court of law where my mother was judged, but I didn’t know where because when we were going there then, I was asleep throughout the journey. I was only eleven years then, so I knew little, being a homebody who hadn’t even been to places.
Mrs Omotayo was worried. She took me as her own child and I began to live with her. My father’s own apartment had been rented out for another tenant.
Biodun and I became inseparable. Mrs Omotayo noticed our sexual intimacy and called us to order. She addressed a note to me to that end:
“Rose, I have adopted you as a daughter and not as an in-law. You either choose what you want to be to my son—a lover or a sister? If a lover, then maybe you will have to step aside for him to get matured first because I wouldn’t want to see you get pregnant for him and then many complications attached. But if you are an adopted daughter of mine, you will have to live with my children like a sister and not a lover-girl. Make a choice![/i]
Indeed, Mrs Omotayo had a cogent point. I was already becoming spoilt and I could really do an undo at the moment. If Biodun wasn’t feeling any sexual urge for me, I was already feeling it, a fourteen year old girl who was introduced to freedom for the first time in her life. Perhaps, Biodun may not know as much as I knew in this kind of game because he was blind. I have seen too much on TV which he hadn’t seen for once, perhaps he must have heard too, something I haven’t had the chance to hear myself—but it is seeing that is believing and not hearing, I thought.
I wept when Mrs Omotayo said this. She was really right because my feelings for him had really gone out of hand—just using some extra effort to contain myself earlier.
I agreed to be a sister to Biodun. She spoke to him as well and in tears she agreed to be my brother. It was Laide who had all the joy in the end. We had sidelined her long ago, but now she would have two siblings and not one—Biodun and I. I would be her elder sister.
I began to attend school again after leaving it for more than a year now. My mates had become seniors to me because I had to start from JSS 1 again. I was surprised when I discovered that Bose was in JSS 3 in the new school I now attended. I knew I had just been initiated into fresh trouble because Bose would do anything to frustrate me now, putting in mind how I beat her black and blue that day I discovered that she was the one who stole my books.
My new school was a private one, founded by a philanthropist. It also had primary school and a college too, for higher learning. I shook my head when I discovered that Obinna was now in primary 3 in our school. I felt pity on him because he was not supposed to be in primary 3, but primary 6, but since he wasn’t exposed to the sign language, he would have to learn it from a lower class.
Obinna came to me and apologized for his evil deed to me. He was weeping terribly as he signed the little he knew:
“Senior Rose, I am very sorry,” he signed and wept.
I felt embarrassed. How soon was he calling me a senior? I forgave him at once.
Bose made a scapegoat out of me. She would be out near the gate to order me about. She would ask me to pick all the papers in the school vicinity. I was ashamed of myself. Bose would laugh at me and flog me with cane at the slightest provocation. She was a prefect in the junior school. First it was Bode, now it is Bose; when would I be free from all these people with ‘Bold and Bossy’ names? I thought.
My school was a day and boarding school. Bose was a boarder but I was a day student. I felt like telling my guardian that I didn’t want to go to school anymore, but how would I say so? It would make me look irresponsible before her. I decided to cope anyhow. If I could really cope with all the tortures in Toyosi and John’s hands in those days, I don’t think anything could stop me from coping with this, I thought.
Bose would call her friends to bully on me. They would call me to a private place and ask me to do some odd chores for them. Bose wanted me to clean the school toilets and at the same time sweep the floor. She wanted me to come to her place during every break time to scratch her back. That was exactly where she got it all wrong—that I was a Junior student doesn’t mean that I am a slave, I thought.
I stood before Bose as she gave me the command:
“Rose, are you deaf? I say scratch my back!” she signed, turning her back to me. She had unzipped her uniform, waiting to have my fingers on her back. She turned around at me and I signed to her that I was deaf of course:
“We are both deaf and dumb.”
“Rose, don’t you realize that I am your senior? Scratch my back before I show you my true colour,” she threatened.
“If you know you have an itchy body, why didn’t you take your bath with an iron spoon?” I spoke with audacity. I was ready for her that day.
Bose was angry. She threw her right hand forcefully at me to dish me a ‘dirty’ slap, but I gripped it tight. She was surprised that I wasn’t caught off-guard. She tried everything she could to get her hand off my grip, but no way. I twisted her hand and she went on her knee in pain. It was not all. I would not let her go unpunished for everything she had done to me, so I blew up her stomach with punches. She fell flat.
I had made history. It hadn’t for once happened in the school, a junior student beating up his or her senior. Even the junior boys dared not beat up the senior girls, but I had just breached the rules and regulations of the school. I knew what would follow but I wouldn’t care.
I was caught red-handed by a teacher passing by. She had seen the action already. Now she began to lead me to the Principal’s office as she ordered that someone else should help Bose to her feet for treatment.
The principal was mad at me when he heard it. I was asked to stool down and I obeyed.
“Rose, do you know the implication of what you have just done?” the principal signed to me.
“N-no s-sir,” I said.
“You just beat up your senior—a prefect for that matter…”
“But she was the one who…”
“Shut up!” the man shouted at me. “You shall be expelled from this—” the man stopped signing as he looked above my head and smiled. Seemed he had a guest.
A young man hugged him. The young man was his son who was in the higher institution, University of Lagos. I have heard about him but haven’t set my eyes on him since I came to the school.
The young man turned to me and then we both gaped for shock when we set eyes on each other. It was Immaculate Moses, the boy who helped me across the road over two years back!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by hebex12(m): 11:05am On Nov 24, 2014
my oga keep on jare

1 Like

Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Mczigx(m): 7:38pm On Nov 25, 2014
Nice 1 dere sir.
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 4:53am On Nov 27, 2014
hebex12:
my oga keep on jare
okay
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by lenmafon: 3:48pm On Nov 27, 2014
thanks sammy. honestly i tried once to register using my guy's phone but did not suceed and my phone does not allow for registering forms online.
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by adedire11: 5:33pm On Nov 27, 2014
Maybe you should work on ur site, cos I can't assess it after registering

1 Like

Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by dammygoody(m): 9:32am On Nov 29, 2014
EBIAG FAMILY. ..............
MISSED YOU SO MUCH!! !!!!!!!
My one and only prof.. ...it's been a while. ...
I can't login on the EBIAG world, forgot my password and the password recovery isn't helping matters.. .
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Jumizie13(f): 8:23pm On Nov 30, 2014
i stumbled upon diz wondaful write up yesterday. Since then, i've been glued to my phone. SAMMY, yew har da bomb. more subscription to your device.
YEAH! WE ARE ABLE

1 Like

Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Uthman51(m): 11:50pm On Nov 30, 2014
Jumizie13:
i stumbled upon diz wondaful write up yesterday. Since then, i've been glued to my phone. SAMMY, yew har da bomb. more subscription to your device.
YEAH! WE ARE ABLE

Jummy dear where have u been
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Jumizie13(f): 10:26am On Dec 01, 2014
Uthman51:

Dont mind me jare. its good to back home
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Jumizie13(f): 10:27am On Dec 01, 2014
Uthman51:

Dnt mind me jare
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by tattesco(m): 8:36am On Dec 02, 2014
Hi sammy. Where u dey. There are question for you to answer here ooooo

1 Like

Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 6:21am On Dec 05, 2014
Lenmafon, Adedire11, Dammygoody, Jumizie13, etc I have heard you all and I will work on the sight more. At Dammygoody, maybe you have to re-register. At everyone, send me the username u wish to register with. I will register you and send you your login details. You can then change your information later.

Send your account details to sammyhoe2000@gmail.com or 08087755117.Thanks.
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by dammygoody(m): 9:19am On Dec 05, 2014
SammyHoe:
. At Dammygoody, maybe you have to re-register.
oh! Don't worry prof.....I'm already on the planet. ...I later remembered the password. ..
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by tattesco(m): 6:33am On Dec 08, 2014
Problem solved
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 11:22pm On Dec 08, 2014
Moses’ mouth went wow when he saw me. He demonstrated before me in sign language and I was awed. The last time we met, being the only time, he wasn’t able to do the sign.
“How is it, Rose?” he had asked. I was surprised that Moses still knew my name.
“I’m fine, sir,” I replied him. Moses’ father was very shocked to see that we knew each other. He began to speak with his son.
Moses signed to me that I should be up on my feet. At first I didn’t listen to him, fearing what his father could do to me. I got up eventually when the headmaster himself gave me the go-ahead. Moses asked me why I was involved in a fight.
“Rose, don’t you know that fighting is bad?”
“Yes I know sir,” I signed back.
“So why are you fighting—with your senior for that matter?”
“She—she…” I knew it would be a very long story.
Moses said he wanted to be alone with me because he was perceiving that I had a lot of troubles going on within me.
“Rose, I have been willing to have a heart to heart talk with you since two and half years back when we met, that was why I gave you my home address. You didn’t show up there, why?”
“I came, but…I was told you have relocated,” I responded.
“You came? Oh! Sorry!” Moses signed. “Come, let’s go.”
I was looking at his father who was not interrupting his son. I wondered what he would say if he saw me going with his son. Moses led me to a car just outside his father’s office. The Toyota Camry glistened in the early morning son. It was smooth to the core. Moses ordered me to get in. I was afraid and shy.
Bose was close by, gaping like a monkey whose banana was lost. Others, her friends, were gaping too. I plodded in, beside the driver’s seat and began to fasten my seat belt. Moses sat behind the wheel and drove off.
We pulled up in a very big restaurant. I was shy because my school uniform was still on me. People would take me for something else, seeing me in a school uniform. As we sat before a table, I saw eyes staring at me. I knew they were saying some contumelious words but since I had no functioning eardrum I didn’t hear them.
“Rose, do you know something?”
“No sir,” I replied.
“Since two and half years back that I met you, I have been feeling like I should know you better. That day, you looked very troubled. I wanted to know everything concerning you but that day was so short—we couldn’t talk at length—you know I was deaf those days…”
“Deaf? How sir?” I asked him. I thought he was making fun of me.
“Yes, I was!” Moses maintained. “I was deaf to the sign language you knew how to speak. The barrier in communication pained my heart so much that I began to learn it from my dad as soon as I got home that day. Now I can do it even better than him—I can sign the American and even the British. Can you sign the ASL too?”
“Yes sir,” I replied. “It’s quite easy.”
Moses coughed over a fist set before his mouth. Then he changed the topic:
“Rose, that day when I saw you, you were very worried. What was wrong?”
“It is a very long story,” I said. My eyes went gloomy. I was not ready to dig into those story of the old memories.
“I’m all eyes, Rose,” Moses said. “I’m not going back to the campus today, so I have all the time on earth.”
I began to tell Moses everything I could. When I ended my story, Moses was already shedding tears in sympathy.
“Rose! We must find them! We must find them!” he signed vigorously.
Moses wanted us to swing into action immediately. He paid for all our expenses and off we went.
A lady asked for Moses’ attention and he halted to speak with her. I set my face few metres ahead and saw a couple. The husband got into the driver’s seat and the wife also bent to get in. The two of them appeared familiar. I was shocked when I discovered that the woman was Toyosi but the man didn’t look like John—of course I was sure the man was not John, but he looked familiar to me.
I screamed. When Moses heard me scream, he left the lady alone and rushed to me.
“Rose! Rose! What’s the matter?”
“She’s the one!” I signed and pointed to the car which was already zooming off!
“Gush! Rose, get inside the car!” Moses signed. He was going to give them a chase.
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 11:24pm On Dec 08, 2014
Moses zoomed after the car, but we lost it eventually. Oh! So painful! Moses drove me back to school just when the closing hour bell rang. His father wasn't pleased at all. He never knew we would spend the whole day out of school. Earlier, when I asked Moses if his father wouldn't be angry with us, he assured me he wouldn't.
"Rose, my father himself knew something is bothering you and he knows quite well that I know how to let people say their minds," Moses had said.
I perceived the man was only angry because we spent too long outside the school.
I watched them speak in voice language. Perhaps they didn't want me to hear what they were saying. When they were done, the principal smiled at me and signed, "Rose, for a better academic performance and a good frame of mind, we are changing your class."

"Sir, please don't change my class!" I screamed in sign language. "I am very sorry for everything I did."

"Rose, you don't need to be sorry at all because I have concluded that already..."

I looked at Moses...
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 11:27pm On Dec 08, 2014
The principal asked me to come with my guardian. I was scared. What actually did Moses tell him? Why was he asking me to come with my guardian? Would they report the case to her? She would be very much disappointed in me for fighting.
Whatever it would cost me, I would not tell Mrs Omotayo a thing, I thought. That day, when I got home, I just lay somewhere like a bunch of idle broom. Biodun himself didn’t know that I was around because the taxi left me behind when I was nowhere to be found, although the principal informed them that I had gone somewhere with his son.
I wondered how Biodun would feel. I hope he wasn’t nursing any kind of feeling towards me anymore. If so, he was surely going to be hurt if he heard that I went out with Moses, a son to the principal of the school. I had just passed beside him on tiptoes, yet he heard the sound of my footstep and spoke. I didn’t hear the sound of his speech. I was silent.
I found myself in Chi….’s class. As a matter of fact, I was happy being with him there. We were playing together as I taught him sign language. He smacked my head and I pushed him lightly. He must have accepted his fate. Afterall, being demoted does not kill one, I thought. I was shocked when Chi… suddenly gave me a hard knock on the head.
“What have I done wrong?” I signed to ask him, then my eyes flashed to life and I saw Biodun standing over me. He had just struck his stick against my head while he was walking to find his way to the toilet by himself—Laide had slept off in her bedroom. Sleep cleared off my face and I realized that I was only daydreaming. I got up from the rug and began to make for my room to have a proper sleep. Laide saw me and did some signs to me to ask where I was. She had just woken up too.
Biodun realized that it was me he hit on the head with the stick, perhaps Laide told him that just now. I didn’t answer them a word as I hurried to my bedroom. I was already getting fed up with life—those bad dreams never want to let me be. I gave up.
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 11:32pm On Dec 08, 2014
Biodun must have taken my action for malice—that I didn’t want to answer him because he struck my head with a stick, but it wasn’t the case. The threat of the principal who promised to change my class was what was really weighing me down. I tried to figure out what exactly Moses said to make him determine to change my class; maybe as a result of my immaturity in containing undeserved punishment from my supposed senior. Perhaps because Moses took me out of the school compound for too long at the detriment of my education, I pondered on. But that shouldn’t call for a grave consequence as such, I pondered.
I couldn’t sleep throughout the night. How would I feel being sent to the primary school just because I fought a senior who was actually a mate? Bose—how on earth would I admit her as my senior? Over my dead body! I snapped my fingers over my head as if my head was my dead body I was talking about.
I didn’t tell Mrs Omotayo anything about it. It would be better for her to know about it somehow by herself than for me to tell her with my own hands.
The principal greeted me with a question the following morning.
“Rose, where is your guardian I ask you to come with today?”
“She is very busy sir,” I lied. My hands shook someone, denoting that I was telling a lie.
“That’s a lie!” the man went straight to the point.
“Y-yes,” my hands stammered. “I didn’t tell her.”
The principal came close to me and looked me in the eyeballs, an impervious look though. Just then, Moses entered.
“Moses, take her to her new class immediately,” he commanded him. Moses stared at his father a little while, having no visible expression on his face too. He just held tight to my right wrist, picked up a cane with the left and led me away.
I wondered what Moses would do with the cane. Was he going to cane me? I thought he was a friend, so how come he would now thrash me with the long cane? I would have asked him what he was actually going to do to me, but I felt it would be disrespectful of me. I was only a JSS 1 girl about to be demoted while he was already in his third year in the University, studying Law. He must know how to punish someone for real, I thought, since he is a lawyer.
Moses began to lead me to my new class. I was scared that I would now be demoted, going by what I saw Moses and his father doing to each other earlier—arguing. Moses began to lead me towards the JSS 3 class, my seniors. I knew I was going to be beaten to pulp there. I made my arm strong and halted along the way. Moses kept pulling me along, just exactly the way he was doing to me two years back while taking me across the road. I wondered if he was a military man.
When Bose saw me brought amidst them, in their class, she began to babble with her hands. Her friends laughed along with her as they saw us. They were expecting Moses to command them to beat me up for beating a senior.
“Bose, come over here,” Moses called.
Bose walked majestically to the front of the classroom. She was glad seeing me. Moses asked me to lie on a desk as he handed the cane over to her. She collected it with alacrity and raised it above her head to lash me. I watched as her hand swooped down, but the cane hanged in the air. I was shocked. I raised my face to see what was happening. It was Moses. He was the one who gripped Bose by the hand, preventing her from flogging my back.
Bose and her mates were shocked. They hadn’t seen it in such fashion. They began to ask why. Moses frowned at them as he began the story:
“Bose, you deserve to be punished yourself,” Moses burst out.
“How sir?” Bose’s hands went wide agape.
“You are a very wicked fellow Bose! Rose told me all the evil you did to her while she was in your former school; how you stole her books and fought with her all the time. Rose told me that you were a bully and here you still her. You don’t deserve to be a prefect here because you are a bully and I will tell my daddy about that. He will remove you from that post before long.”
Bose was weeping.
“And from now on, Rose will be the Senior Prefect of this school.”
Moses ordered me to take my seat. I was reluctant because I felt that Moses was doing contrary to what his father had asked him to do. Moses led my by the hand to a seat belonging to someone who was not in class.
“Rose, here is your seat from now on,” Moses said. I stood before the seat but Moses forced me to be seated. I was awed, staring around me. They were looking scornfully at me.
“Do you know how much this girl has achieved?” Moses said. “Without a father and a mother, yet she won prizes in her former school, writing striking poems. Ask Bose what I meant and she will tell you,” Moses told them all. They were amazed.
Moses warned them all not to do me any harm, else they would have to face the risk of having their names expunged from the school register. I felt like a queen, but a little iota of doubt still stared at my face.
As soon as Moses stepped out of the class, I hurried after him.
“Sir, your daddy will be angry!”
“Not at all Rose, since he knows about this,” Moses assured. “I told him everything about you and he wants you commended, that is why he asked you to come with your guardian so that he could tell her that you are deemed fit for triple promotion. You’ll have to still come with her anyway—tomorrow.”
“Are you sure sir?”
“If I am not would I say it?” Moses said. “I am a lawyer and we don’t say loose things. Come with your guardian tomorrow, that’s all.” Moses hurried away.
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 11:33pm On Dec 08, 2014
I began to trudge back slowly to the classroom. Bose was still weeping in shame—the shame that her theft secret had been leaked to her classmates by Moses. They would soon begin to call him names such as ‘Bose the Theft Bose!’ or ‘Queen of Thieves’.
Bose buried her head on her desk and kept on weeping. I rose from my seat and began to walk to her desk. I put an arm around her back and tapped her gently with the other. She raised and face and became shocked at my sight.
“Bose, that is past tense; let’s be friends,” I signed to her and then stretched my hand before her to hold. I waited to see if she would take it or reject it.
“Bose, let’s be friends,” I used my hands once more and then stretched it before her again.
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 11:36pm On Dec 08, 2014
Mr Immaculate, Moses’ father was amazed at my poems and the true life story of myself I had been writing for over two years. He was in a hurry to see it published.
“This is so amazing!” he screamed. “Do you mean to say you write all these all alone?”
“Yes sir,” I humbly replied.
“Are you sure of what you are saying?”
“Yes sir, I did them all by myself.”
The man walked in slow motion to me and ran his index finger around my face, my lips, my ears, my nose. When his finger got to my forehead, he clicked it twice and turned his ear to me as if he wanted to detect the sound from there. He turned to his son and said something. They laughed.
Bose had become my best friend. We began to do everything together. She had even come around with me to the house twice. She never knew I could be better as a friend than as an enemy. Bose was the first person to edit my works. She saw her part of the story in the manuscript, but fortunately for me, I had ruled a line on it to show that it had been cancelled. How would I portray her as a bad character in my book? Afterall, she isn’t a bad girl anymore.
It was Bose herself who brought the manuscript to me and opened to those parts where her villainous characters were portrayed.
“Rose, why did you cancel out these?” she flipped the book.
“Oh! I’m sorry I wrote them there in the first place,” I apologized.
“You don’t need to be,” she said. “I want them there.”
I thought a bullet had just sunken into my skull when I heard her.
“What do you mean?”
“Leave it there as it is Rose, I want to be in there.”
“As a bad character?”
“Yes, a bad character turned to a good one,” Bose said. “Just let it be!”
“Impossible!” I shouted with my hands.
Bose was laughing. She must be very crazy.
“Never!” I said. “In fact I’m tearing off those pages.” I grabbed the book.
“You can’t!” Bose held my hands. We began to struggle. She overpowered me and got it.
Laide thought we were fighting. We had to smile to her to show that we were on top of the matter. She calmed down.
Mrs Omotayo was the first to come into the matter:
“Rose, if she says you should leave it there, then leave it there!” she communicated in sign language. In the past six months she had kept late nights learning it.
“Why ma?” I asked her.
“Do you know how many bad characters will turn over a new leaf by reading about her bad lifestyle turned good?”
She had a point, but it wasn’t enough reason for me to admit. It was the past, so Bose should not show up in my story as once bad. I would only bring in her story right from that point we become friends, I thought.
The principal knew about our friendship, myself and Bose. But he was amazed not seeing us together for almost six days. He called us to his office and asked why. I narrated the whole incident and he laughed.
“Two funny kids,” he said. “Rose, do exactly as Bose said to you,” the man supported her. “So, this is what is causing quarrel between you two?”
“Yes sir,” Bose said. “And I promised not to be her friend anymore if she doesn’t start my story in her book from the beginning.”
“I won’t!” I screamed in sign language. “Better we go separate ways than putting it in black and white for the whole world to see that my friend once steals and do all sorts of evil!”
“I want it just that way!” Bose spoke for herself. We eyed each other.
“It’s better I don’t publish that shit at all—I mean the whole book for that matter.”
“You can’t do that, Rose!” the principal said.
“Watch me sir; I’m no more interested!”
“You can’t do that, Rose. If you’re no more interested, I am!”
“But you don’t have the manuscript sir.”
“From where?”
“You of course!”
“I’ll flush it off today.”
“Don’t dare that Rose!”
“That’s what I will do sir. It’s better for me not to publish it at all!”
The principal knew I was bent on doing it. He persuaded me not to. I felt proud. How come someone who didn’t know me was now showing keen interest in my write-ups tagged nonsense by those who knew me? Hmm…would I ever forgive my father and Toyosi his miserable wife if I saw them again?
“Okay, Rose, why can’t you go ahead and publish it; all you need to do is to replace the name ‘Bose’ with another name entirely and no one would know she is the one.”
I didn’t give the principal any reply. I left his office with the mind to do my own will; perhaps I would consider his latest suggestion.
Our neighbor who was now occupying our apartment told Mrs Omotayo that someone came asking for Mr. John’s family who were once occupying her flat previously. Mrs Omotayo asked her who the guest was and she said he was the younger brother to the head of the family.
“Rose, do you know your father’s younger brother?”
“Yes!” I exclaimed. “He travelled to South Africa some years back. Do you see him?”
“No! He came here this morning to ask for your family!”
“What! Where is he?”
“I wasn’t at home as you know. He only delivered his message to Mrs Eunice and…”
“Ha! Uncle James! Is he back in Nigeria?”
“Wait, let me land,” Mrs Omotayo said. “Mrs. Eunice told him that your family is no more living there.”
“Gush!” I banged my hands against each other.
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 11:38pm On Dec 08, 2014
CHAPTER FORTY-THREE
It pained me so much that I missed Uncle James’ visit. He should have at least left his home address, but he didn’t. I began to long for him. He was such a kindhearted man. He would be very angry at John his brother if he knew everything he did to me.
My halcyon days had returned, but a recurring thought kept on creeping into my mind to destroy my joy. It was the thought of my mother. The only way I could see her was to locate the prison first, which she was taken to, or at least the court of law from which she was sentenced. Those days I didn’t have the chance to put into memory the actual place where the court was located. All I knew was that my aunty and my class-teacher took me on a long ride to a place out of town.
I began to pray for God’s intervention. If only he could answer my request on time and wouldn’t let my mother spend too long in the cell, I would tell thousands of people my testimony, I vowed to God, expecting him to answer me just the next moment. After waiting for a week without any response, I almost began to doubt if God was really there, but then I remembered how he answered my prayer during the New Year Day of the past year and my faith was stronger.
I approached Bose concerning the advice of Moses’ father, who told me to put Bose’s true life story in my work to be published but under another name. I thought Bose would jump at the idea, but I was making a big mistake.
“So, Bose, do you agree with that?”
“Don’t even mention it Rose,” she said. “If you can’t put my name there, then forget about putting my story there,” she said.
“But I—em—it is not proper to paint you black in— ”
“Don’t let us keep arguing about this, Rose,” she said. “I have told you what I want—period!”
Moses had come close to us unawares. If we could hear sound, perhaps we would have heard the sound of his feet as he walked into the empty classroom. We sat up when we saw him.
Moses dropped the books in his hands and sat down on a chair after shifting it close to us. He smiled.
Moses had been teaching us for the past one month now. He could teach so well. He was the one who motivated us to make a move towards having the sign language added to the school curriculum of the normal people, though I was the person who gave him the idea. Moses enlightened us more on the advantages of this great move:
“If the normal people can learn the sign language as a normal language in their school curriculums at tender ages, it would become a part of them and the gap between the deaf people and the normal people would be bridged. Everyone would be able to speak in sign language with each other,” Moses said.
We agreed to pay a visit to the governor’s office to make this idea known so that it could be considered for implementation in the school curriculum of the normal people. We had decided on a date for such.
Moses tapped me, because I had been absentminded. He wanted me to watch him speak:
“Rose, Bose, why are you both fussing about with a little issue?” Moses said. We didn’t respond.
“My father told me that you said you don’t want to publish your story anymore because Bose wanted her bad past life in it. Is that true?”
“Yes,” I said. “How sensible is it to write her past bad behaviours when she is no more an enemy but the closest friend to me?”
“That’s the reason why you should do what I want,” Bose said. “If I am your closest friend, then do anything to please me.”
Moses laughed and asked me why I didn’t go ahead with what Bose wanted. I told him it was not good enough.
“Bose is changed, so let me only put her new life in my stories because bygone is bygone; her old lifestyle can no more reflect in my memory. I can only put it there in another person’s name as the principal your daddy advised me.”
“No!” Bose disagreed.
Moses faced me and said, “Rose, are you sure you really want to publish your story?”
“Y-yes of course!” I said.
“So, what if Mrs Toyosi and Mr. John your father show up a day to the launching of your book and beg for your forgiveness? Will you delete their own evil part of the story from the book and write only their new good part?”
I was stunned by Moses’ assumption. Even if two million angels come with Toyosi and John to beg me, I would still go ahead and publish the story without erasing their villainous characters, I thought. I didn’t know how to answer Moses. Bose was already smiling.
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 11:45pm On Dec 08, 2014
I shook my head. Moses would make a good lawyer, I thought as I submitted to Bose’s wish.
“Okay, okay, I will leave it there,” I said and Bose was glad. I wondered why she insisted on something as defamatory as that. How would people who knew her look at her? Would they not call her a thief who stole her schoolmate’s schoolbag?
It was already a week since I prayed to my creator to show me the address of the court my mother was taken to, maybe in my dreams. I had faith that I would see it inside a vision or anything like that. I began to imagine the scene—the day I was demonstrating with my sign language in front of the audience in the court that day. I came out of my long imagination when an idea sped past my brain.
The next day I told Moses the idea.
“Sir, please can you take me in your car to my former school?”
“For what purpose?” Moses asked me.
“Although I couldn’t remember the court where my mother was sentenced to two years imprisonment, but I know I could remember a teacher who went there with us that day.”
“Who’s that?” Moses was eager.
“He is Mr. Dele. He went to the court with us that day—he was in the car with Mrs Oyin my class-teacher, myself and my aunty.”
“Great idea!” Moses was glad. “Let’s locate him immediately.
Moses told his father about it and off we went to my former school to search for Mr. Dele in my former school. When we got there, we were told that the man had left the school for quite sometimes.
“He is now in London,” a new teacher in the school said.
I was angry. Why is it that all the people who could be a source of help to me are far away abroad? I told Moses as we were walking away.
“Who are they?” Moses asked me as if he was ignorant of it.
“My aunty, my class-teacher, Mr. Dele and even my uncle, James,” I responded vigorously.
“What about God and me, are we abroad too?” Moses said to my amazement. Earlier, I thought lawyers didn’t believe in God because they are Mr. and Mrs Know-all, but when Moses mentioned God just now, I had to change my conception.
“But why hasn’t God answered my prayer?” I asked Moses. “I said that he should show me in my dream the exact location of the court of law but he didn’t show me—why?”
“Because God’s way is not our own way and his thought is not our own thought. He knows the thought that he thinks towards us—the thought of peace and not of evil to give us our expected end,” Moses said. I had read those things from my bible before but I hadn’t applied them to my life. How come Moses could quote the bible as much as he could quote the constitution too? His brain must be very complex and big to accommodate too much, I thought.
“So, what is God’s way sir?” I asked Moses.
“I don’t know,” he responded with sign language and pulled me. “Enter the car!” he spoke with his mouth and I understood him by lip-reading.
As soon as I got into the car and winded up, the teacher who attended to us earlier hurried to us and began to speak to Moses. When they had spoken to a particular length, Moses turned to me and told me what she said:
“She said that a man came to the school just last week looking for one Rose, which I believe is you; the man said that he is James, a younger brother to your father. He said he wanted to locate your new address.”
I was excited. I asked Moses if James dropped his home address with the woman. She saw my sign and responded me in sign language:
“He wrote it in a little note and gave it to me,” the woman said. “He said that in case you come here I should give it to you.” The woman began to check her handbag for the note. She kept on dancing on a spot, looking for it in her bag, but she couldn’t locate it.
“But I put it here!” she signed. For minutes we waited for her to produce something but nothing was coming forth. We had to leave without the address. It was very painful began to grow impatient. What exactly is God’s way and though about my mother’s case? I wept at a corner. It would be a bitter experience launching my book without my mother.
Moses’ father was ready to sponsor the publishing of the book. It wasn’t in print yet.
I sat outside the house with Biodun and Laide receiving fresh air when a postman arrived with a letter. My aunty would be returning to Nigeria in few weeks. I was overjoyed when I read it.
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 11:47pm On Dec 08, 2014
A day to the day my aunty would be arriving, something quite amazing happened. My guardian entered the house and told me I had some visitors.
“Who?” I asked eagerly.
“Come and see her,” she said and pulled me up, smiling. When I got to the door, it was an incredible sight staring at my face—Mrs. Oyindamola and her husband. My right hand slid over my face three times, but the guests remained there. I knew it was for real.
I surged forward and gave her a very tight hug. She almost got knocked down by me. Mrs Omotayo understood the whole emotion—I had told her earlier about my class-teacher who was one of the first persons that made me know that I am able. She meant the whole world to me.
Mrs. Oyindamola scrubbed my hair and then did sign language over my head. I turned my face up and caught the last word ‘mother’. I knew she was asking for my mother. I burst into tears.
Mrs. Oyindamola stepped back a bit and asked for her again. I shook and wept. She was scared, perhaps taking my tears to mean that she was dead.
“She is—” I paused and wept on. The woman swallowed her spittle and asked me critically, “What’s wrong with her?”
“It’s a long story,” I said at last. Indeed it was; trying to tell her my life story from the day my mother and I returned from Abuja would be quite a long story to tell.
Mrs Omotayo invited her in. She got in with her husband and I followed them. When I told her the whole story, she shook as if she was going to faint.
“Jesus!” she screamed with her mouth and signed it synchronously.
Mrs. Oyindamola soon got over the shock and got ready at once to get into action. She said she remembered the address of the court location very well—Agidingbi, Ikeja.
When she beamed at her watch, she banged hard at her knee. It was already late. The court would have closed for the day.
Mrs Oyindamola and her husband were to lodge in a hotel initially, but the woman begged her husband to stay in the house with us while her husband left to the hotel.
“Why did you come all the way from London?” I asked her, because it was such a surprise to me seeing her in Nigeria where they hadn’t built a house, having sold the one they had earlier.
“I could not sleep at night because I was just thinking about you and your mother. My mind kept thumping hard to see you. I could not rest, such that my husband began to get scared.”
“Since when have you been having such disturbance?” I asked her, just to confirm something.
“Over a month ago now,” she said. “I sent a letter to you to ask for your well-being and also included my home address in the letter so that you could reply my letter and tell me how you were faring. Didn’t you get the letter?”
“We didn’t get any letter?” I told her. “It was only Aunty Rachael’s own we got.”
“Rose, I’m happy that I could set my eyes on you again,” she said happily as she began to yawn. She was very tired.
I looked at her as she laid her back on the bed in the visitor’s room. I smiled as I remembered Moses’ statement that day—‘God’s way is not our own way and his thought is not our own thought. He knows the thought that he thinks towards us—the thought of peace and not of evil to give us our expected end’. My expectation was to get a way of getting to the court of law through which we could locate the prison, but now more than my expectation is here. I estimated the time she said she began to have that feeling of coming to see me in Nigeria and found out that it was around the time I prayed to God to show me the address of the court of law through a vision. My prayer is definitely answered in another dimension, I thought.
In the morning the next day, Mrs Oyindamola went to her husband after calling her with a device which I later knew to be cellular—it was strange to me, since I hadn’t seen it before—a wireless telephone. The ones I had seen were landlines and not mobile one, though I hadn’t used any and I would never use any, since my ears wouldn’t pick a sound from the earpiece and my mouth wouldn’t be able to voice out words into it.
Mrs Oyin returned to our house and then we began to get ready to visit the court. Just then, Rachael my aunty came to the house with her husband. I hardly recognized her.
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 11:50pm On Dec 08, 2014
My aunty’s appearance had changed so much. Her flesh had grown too smooth and thick and some traceries lined her plump neck as a folded flesh sat beneath her lower jaw. She looked gorgeous in her attire, a shiny goggle on her face. She was almost forgetting the sign language.
“Where is my sister?” she signed slowly to me. “I was having bad dreams about her.”
“It is a long story,” I said as tears took over my eyes. She was stunned when I finished narrating the story to her.
Without any further ado, we set out for the court, myself, Mrs Oyindamola, Mrs Omotayo and my aunty. I wished Moses was with us, but it was an emergency. We met a Justice there and he telephoned the actual Justice we were looking for—the one who judged the case that day. He promised he would be with us in few minutes, but it took eternity before he showed up. He didn’t even apologize. My aunty and my class-teacher presented the matter and the Judge was surprised.
“She should have been released since last year!” the man said and my aunty signed it to me. She still remembered to be kind as usual. Back in those days, she would always sign every voice language to me as they come. She wouldn’t even wait for us to get home before doing that.
“Do you mean that that woman in question released her mother for a moment and sent her back there?” the Judge said, pointing at me.
“Yes sir,” Mrs Oyindamola replied.
“That is not possible!” the man said harshly.
“Toyosi did!”
“Evidence!” the judge asked. My aunty asked me to present the long note addressed to me three years back by Toyosi and I did. It was the note into which Toyosi wrote the exact place she took my mother to after the Abuja trip. The judge read it and was stunned.
“I am very busy today—and…it’s late already,” he said. “I will go with you to the prison tomorrow to confirm this.”
The crossover to the next day seemed like eternity—my eyes were wide open all through the night. My aunty and her husband had to put up with our neighbor, Mrs Eunice who was very accommodating, while Mrs. Oyin stayed with us again. I thought I was the only one who couldn’t sleep until I saw Mrs Oyindamola sitting down on her bed and clicking the floor with her toes. I knew my aunty would be feeling same way too.
I had a nightmare, just when sleep knocked me off my consciousness. The dream was indeed terrible—my mother was having the noose on her neck and was going to be hanged. It appeared as if she was swapped for an inmate who had a ‘death by hanging’ sentence. I woke up and screamed. Everyone rushed into my room—even those in the other apartment rushed in.
“What is the matter, Rose?” they kept asking me. I was too shocked to speak. When I spoke eventually, my aunty began to bind and loose. She was still on her high spirituality.
“Rose, I have cancelled the dream, just go back to bed,” she told me confidently and smiled.
Moses joined us the next day, but Mrs. Omotayo had to get back to her workplace. My aunty had rained showers of praises and prayers upon her for taking good care of me. She also confessed that she didn’t have rest of mind since a month and half ago when she started to think of her sister—my mother. She said she had sent some letters in the past, putting her home address abroad there so that we could reply the letter and indeed she got replies for them all. While we were in the car, going to the court just now, my aunty showed us one of the letters of reply she got from my mother:
Dear Rachael,
I got your letter. Did you see the one I sent to you earlier? As I said before, we are all fine here. Rose is doing very fine right now and she is now a very big girl. She received scholarships and double promotion and John is now happy with us. As I speak, I am in Abuja with John and Rose. He will send Rose abroad soon to continue her education. That woman, Toyosi, has finally returned to her husband after setting me free from the prison. In case you come to Nigeria at any time, don’t check us in that house anymore because we have packed permanently to Abuja. I will forward the address to you later.
Take good care of yourself my sweet sister.
Your Sister,
Hannah.
I was shocked. So, Toyosi had been sending false letters to my aunty all the while. I compared the letter with the handwritings in the notes she gave to me and there was no difference. She is indeed a criminal, I thought.
“But here, she said that we have relocated, so why did you still check us here, or did you first go to Abuja?” I asked her.
“We have no choice than to come here first because she didn’t send the address of the purported Abuja residence.”
Soon, we got to the court. Moses took pleasure in communicating with the Judge and the choleric man began to pick interest in us. The day before, he was frowning throughout, but now he was brandishing his teeth in deep smiles. He loved the way Moses was speaking intelligently as if he was already a professional lawyer. Truly, they were speaking the language they both enjoyed—the language of the jury.
We set out for the prison where my mother was detained and to our shock she was not there. Is my dream already a reality? I thought. We were all afraid!
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 12:17am On Dec 09, 2014
When the judge spoke with the Chief Warden of the prison, the man shook with fear. My aunty was wont to interpreting every word to me. She did as the two elderly men spoke and I was able to get the dialogue as it flowed:
“Where is Mrs. John Hannah?” the white-haired judge asked the chief warden.
“It’s been a while,” the man said. “She’s no more here.”
There was definitely a skeleton in the man’s cupboard going by the way he spoke. His mouth trembled.
“Where is she?” the judge asked him again.
“Em—em…er, she has been released since last year,” the man said.
“Released?” Moses and Mr. Joe, the judge asked simultaneously.
“Y—yes,” he said. “Anything the matter?”
“We haven’t seen anyone,” my class-teacher said.
“But we released her August last year, August 18 when her two-year jail term expired, ” the Chief Prison Warden tried to solidify his confession. “We have all our papers here.”
Pandemonium stared at us. We could not do anything than to fidget when he said he had all evidences with him. How come? I signed to Moses that it was time we produced the note Toyosi wrote, in which she made known her intention of prolonging my mother’s jail term till five years, but Moses waved off the idea:
“It’s not time yet,” he said. “Let this man provide the evidence first.”
The Chief Prison Warden took us confidently to his desk and began to present the papers to us. We saw many signed documents of her release on the specific date the warden mentioned earlier. We also saw photo evidences of her release. I was baffled when we saw John in one of the photos, standing side by side with my mother. It was shocking to us all.
The Judge probed the Chief Warden who denied knowing anything about Toyosi and my father’s plot.
“Mr. John came here on the 18th of August last year and took his wife away,” the Chief Prison Warden said. As you can see here, we have his signatures and photos, so I don’t seem to understand what you’re talking about.”
The Judge and the Chief Warden dragged the matter for a while but it didn’t come to a head. Now I was in the greatest suspense of my life. Where is my mother?
The dream that I saw my mother hanged began to flash back to my brain each time I was thinking about her. The case had been made very hot against the prison warden who had been charged to court. We began to search for Toyosi and John my father, the two people who could actually unravel the mystery, but they were nowhere to be found.
Truly in that picture, my mother and John my father were smiling together in a warm embrace. How come? I was put at the forefront of the case against Mr. Collins, the Chief Prison Warden, because I was the person who could provide all the evidences, though my aunty and class-teacher also voiced out what they knew about the case. The two of them waited behind in Nigeria while their husbands travelled back to their respective destinations overseas.
Four months had passed since the case commenced but nothing was forthcoming. The Chief Prison Warden had hired some smart lawyers to defend him. We had our lawyers too. They fought hard to win the case, showing all the evidences I provided—the notes written by Toyosi, testifying that she had lengthened my mother’s jail-term and also other notes my father had written, telling me that my mother would rot in prison. Mrs. Oyindamola and Rachael my aunty also testified to the fact that they saw my mother in her home just within two months of her detention, but the Chief Prison Warden debunked.
“My mother must not die!” I signed in annoyance as I stood before everyone in the court as a witness. “I call on the government of Lagos to rise up to this case and help me fetch my mother out from wherever she is,” I signed and began to weep. Some people in the court were emotionally touched too. They wept.
Soon, my story became the favourite of the cover pages of every dailies. My picture was stamped all over the place as the ‘Able Disabled’.
Will deaf and dumb Rose win the case against the government? Daily Moonlight wrote.
The deaf are also able: Read the Case of John Rose, a deaf mute, speaking out her mind. Neon Magazine wrote in details
Superstar Rose signed her voice again The Monitor said.
I felt shy each time I come across my pictures on the leaves of the dailies. I would leave them wet with tears. All I needed now is my mother and not popularity of any kind. I had also heard that BCC of London had the news to tell in their land too and CCN of America. I knew my father would be in unimaginably hot soup if he was caught perchance.
It was ten months already since the case began, but the Chief Warden was not declared guilty yet. Of course he wasn’t going to be condemned that easily without my father and Toyosi testifying that they indeed connived with him to get my mother out.
I believed strongly that the pictures of my mother and my father hugging each other was not a recent one—they must have taken those pictures four years back and not two years back as the Chief Warden declared. My mother wouldn’t have smiled in the picture if actually it was two years back, because she would see no reason smiling after she had been left to spend two years in prison innocently. I testified towards that in the court of law and the pictures were subjected to thorough scrutiny and the case was adjourned until the pictures were examined. In the end, the Chief Warden was proved right and the papers carried the news again that I was losing.
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 12:21am On Dec 09, 2014
Within this one year, I had abandoned my write-ups. Mrs. Oyindamola had to return to London to meet her husband but my aunty, Rachael, had no choice than to remain behind until the case was settled. Her husband understood him well.
Moses had also returned to school. Now he had a GSM phone, Nokia3310, with which he communicated with his father who kept him abreast of the information regarding the court case. Moses also got me a Siemens phone through which we texted each other. Unfortunately we could not do calls through it because I was deaf and dumb.
I was shocked when my uncle, James, suddenly came to our house in a white Toyota Camry. I rushed to him and jumped on him.
“Uncle James where have you been?” I signed to him.
“I’ve been in Nigeria for more than a year now, been looking for you,” the man said.
“Why didn’t you drop your address when you came here?” I asked him.
“I didn’t know you are still here, Rose,” he said. “I dropped my address with a teacher in your former school, did you not get it?”
“Oh, I didn’t,” I signed back. “The teacher lost it!”
“Gush! Now Rose I am here.” James bowed his head and tears began to flow. I was amazed. “Where is Rachael?” he asked me.
I was surprised that he didn’t ask of my mother or father, but my aunty. I waited for him to ask the second time before replying:
“Rose, I know what has happened to you? Where is Rachael?” he signed one more time.
I shed tears as I led him in. Rachael was sitting before her hobby, a big bible.
When Rachael spotted James my uncle, she rushed at him and gave him a tight hug, forgetting that he was a married man.
“James, where have you been?”
“South Africa!” he said. “Didn’t Hannah tell you?”
“She did, but—”
“I have been back in Nigeria some years ago before travelling back again four years ago. I even got married here in Nigeria before returning to South Africa.”
“You don’t mean it!” she screamed. “And you didn’t tell anyone about it, why?”
“I’m very sorry I did that, Rachael, Rose!” my uncle showed strong penitence. “Now I have regretted my action—at least I should have told you…especially you, Rachael, the prophetess…”
“Stop teasing me and tell me what happened,” my aunty said.
I watched as James signed his long story. I was amazed at his speed on the sign. He was not as good as this in it those days:
I married her because of her beauty; I didn’t pray or seek for advice. I loved her so much that I bestowed all my money on her. I travelled to South Africa to eke out life for us both so that I could return and get us established. Unknown to her, I asked a friend of mine to keep her in surveillance. I wanted to know if she was real or not. My friend began to send me news that she was engaging in extra-marital affair with someone. Before then I send her money regularly, but when I heard the sad news, I stopped sending her money. She sent me several mails but I didn’t respond, hoping to send her packing as soon as I return to Nigeria. Eventually I returned to Nigeria, but then she begged me so much, testifying that indeed she did what my friend claimed she did. She was too young and beautiful to be treated badly so I accepted her apology and my love for her grew stronger, then we had a joint account, just last year November, seven months ago. But along the line something happened…
My Uncle couldn’t hold himself anymore. He wept . We had to pet him.
Despite the fact that it was already four years to our marriage, she didn’t give birth, yet I kept loving her, but she paid me back in a hard way—she emptied all the cash in our joint account and fled!
“Serious!” my aunty shouted with her mouth. I got her through the movement of her lips.
I curled to my uncle’s neck and pacified him. I could remember he had done that to me six to seven years back too anytime my father had just finished treating me badly. All of a sudden, something struck through my mind as I remembered the two figures I saw ahead of Moses and myself that day he first took me out. As a matter of fact, it was exactly the same attire on the man that day that my uncle had on him. My eyes were filled with horror as I quickly thumped up, leaving his neck alone.
“What’s it Rose?” they signed to me in amazement.
“Em—nothing,” I said. I was scared to reveal what was in my memory.
It was my turn to weep as I narrated my ordeal in the hand of my father and Toyosi to my uncle:
“Did you just mention Toyosi right now?” my uncle asked spontaneously.
“Yes, do you know her?” I said, feigning ignorance.
“She is the one!” my uncle was quick at signing back in return.
“What!” my aunt screamed, though I knew it would end that way, but I didn’t want to be forward.
We spoke at length about her. James confirmed that indeed she was with her around that eatery that day I saw her with a man. James was definitely the man in question.
James was covered in sweat and tears when the truth was made known.
“No wonder Toyosi’s disposition changed the moment she saw you on the news sometimes back,” James said. “The day after, Toyosi began to disturb me that we should travel to South Africa for a permanent stay, but I told her I was not going anywhere because I saw my niece on TV and she would need my help. Two days later, she fled and till date I can’t locate her.”
It was a very painful experience. We couldn’t help shedding tears. If only James knew that her wife was the one mentioned on the TV as the concubine who abetted John in the evil, he would have given her up by himself earlier.
James was enraged. He felt like committing suicide. He told my aunty about it and she counseled him not to:
“You can live on with another wife, a good one, instead of committing suicide,” my aunty said and I was surprised. She was the same highly spiritual woman I used to know who believed in one-man, one-wife till death do them part. Now she seemed to be the one championing the course of having another wife when the first one is not dead. I breathed in heavily and kept quiet. Maybe she had loosened her grip on spirituality a bit, I thought.
James vowed to locate both Toyosi and John my father with the last ounce of his blood. He singlehandedly printed Toyosi and John’s ‘WANTED’ posters up to a thousand copies and also made them appear in dailies. We hoped to see them caught in no time at all.
It was going to two years since the court case began. I was already in my final year in Secondary School. Moses had graduated from the University and was now attending a law school. He was also affiliated to the Chamber of Mr. Joe, the justice who sent my mother to jail earlier, but who was now our advocate. The court case was dying down gradually since we couldn’t locate Toyosi and John who seemed to be the only two solutions.
Just when I was resuming second term in my school, someone raised the issue again. He was just a layman who claimed to have seen John somewhere. The news spurred up our hope again, but it was short-lived. The young man in question was found dead. It was a shocker. How come? The man who was promised #200,000 if he could actually lead them to John, was now a victim of murder overnight. What an injustice!
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by pricelesslove(f): 12:25am On Dec 09, 2014
thank you very much Sammy for the wonderful updates. may God strengthen you.
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 12:26am On Dec 09, 2014
James got fed up with his life in Nigeria. He got fed up with the injustice which had just stared at his face, so he decided to return to South Africa permanently. Mrs. Omotayo didn’t want him to leave because he had impacted a lot into the life of her children. During the short duration of time he spent coming to our house, the children of my guardian felt as if they had a father, though they were already matured—Laide sixteen and Biodun eighteen.
“I will return to my students in South Africa and keep on helping them,” James said, weeping. It was then I knew that all he was doing in South Africa was teaching—teaching the deaf and dumb as well as the blind.
When my uncle was leaving me, he hugged me and said, “Rose, you earned me a living. You Are Able! WE ARE ABLE!”
“How did I earn you a living, sir?” I asked him because I was surprised.
“Because what you taught me many years back was exactly what I was using to earn a living in South Africa. I got to South Africa in search of a job—I couldn’t get any for six months. The only job available was a teaching job in the special school. I looked at myself and felt pity for myself because I thought I was abased, but then I remembered how you taught me the sign language. I put in for the job and got it. Of recent I became a principal in the school, earning much money. I left all to come to Nigeria just to see you—not even Toyosi, but, but…” my uncle began to weep again.
When James was leaving, Biodun and Laide held tight to him and didn’t want him to leave.
“Stay with us, sir,” the cried. “Why do you want to leave us?”
“Leave him alone, let him go,” Mrs Omotayo said, trying to caution her children.
“No, we won’t!” they kept on saying. “Where are you going to?”
“I am returning to South Africa?” he told them.
“You can’t leave!” they protested. “What are you going there to do?”
“To get myself another wife,” he said and my aunty nodded in support. I shook my head. My aunty is compromising, I thought. Why is she supporting him in this when actually she was the one trumpeting up and down that it is one-man, one-wife till death do them part?
Biodun and Laide asked him to get married to their mother. It was shocking to everyone, including Mrs Omotayo who burst into laughter. Eventually, James had his way and began to take his leave. I wept as I watched James leave.
Later in the day, my aunty came up with a funny news. She said that a plane travelling to South Africa from Nigeria was grounded halfway due to a fight in the plane. The three people involved in the fight, according to the news, had been sent back to Nigeria. Not long, we discovered that it was a fight between James and his elder brother, John who was fleeing Nigeria to South Africa in order to seek refuge. Little did my father know that his younger brother would catch up with him in there.
As soon as Mr. Joe the justice heard the news, he swung into action immediately, taking Moses with him anywhere he went. My father had already been imprisoned with Toyosi who were both fleeing Nigeria together. Now all that was left of us was to know who exactly they connived with to get my mother out of the prison earlier and ultimately where she was presently.
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 12:28am On Dec 09, 2014
pricelesslove:
thank you very much Sammy for the wonderful updates. may God strengthen you.
Amen!
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 12:30am On Dec 09, 2014
James had no cause to travel to South Africa anymore. He would surely ensure that the guilty ones suffered; Toyosi would have to pay back all his cash she stole while John would pay for his evil deeds too. There was no iota of pity in James blood for the guilty ones.
The Chief Warden, as soon as he heard the news of John and Toyosi’s arrest, made attempt to flee the country to Benin Republic, but was caught at the border. He definitely had a hand in everything from A to Z. He was the one who killed the man who discovered John earlier, just in the name of saving himself. Now nemesis had caught up with him.
John was helpless when he knew that Toyosi’s husband was his younger brother. He couldn’t help but weep like a baby, but no amount of tears would keep him away from the law—the whole world knew about the case already, so there wasn’t going to be a way of escape for him.
The truth came to limelight that John and Toyosi actually intended keeping my mother in jail forever. They were responsible for her relocation from the first Maximum Prison to the second maximum prison after paying the Chief Wardens in charge some amount of money. The pictures John took with her were actually taken two years after her imprisonment, having given her the impression that she was being released, but otherwise, she was relocated.
I went in company of the Judge, Moses, James and my aunty to the maximum prison where my mother was. I wished to see her badly—more than anyone else would have wished. I couldn’t imagine how my tears would flow at the sight of my mother. Eventually we got to the prison yard and began to make enquiry.
“We have come to see an inmate,” Mr. Joe said.
“What is her name sir?” asked the warden in charge.
“Hannah,” Moses said.
“Hannah?” the warden asked with a grotesque on his face.
“Yes, Hannah,” we said, envisaging something unpleasant.
“Oh, Hannah…she was hanged just this morning,” the warden said and I fainted when my aunty signed it to me. Seemed she was carried away with the sign she was doing that she forgot that the information would be very much detrimental to me. My dream had actually come to fulfillment…

(1) (2) (3) ... (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (Reply)

A Fatal Love {Sequel to 'The Sugar Mum'} / The Handsome Devil I Know / Make Me A Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 194
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.