Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,339 members, 7,811,983 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:33 AM

Fruit Cake Recipe - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Fruit Cake Recipe (17134 Views)

How To Cover A Fruit Cake With Almond Paste -with Pictures / Please Can Someone Give Me The Traditional Nigerian Cake Recipe? / Cake Recipe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fruit Cake Recipe by ibizgirl(f): 10:03am On Aug 03, 2014
Fruit cake is one of my favorite cakes. Traditionally fruit cakes are used for wedding cakes and Christmas cake. Because of the alcohol in fruit cake they remain edible for long.
Today  I am going to share with you the simplest fruit cake recipe I know.

INGREDIENTS

Flour.                                            350g
Margarine.                                    250g
Sugar.                                            200g
Eggs.                                             5 medium sized eggs
Mixed fruits.                                  300g
Brandy/Rum.                                 Enough to soak the fruits
Browning.                                     1/8 cup
Baking powder.                             1 teaspoon
Cinnamon                                      1/4 teaspoon
Nutmeg.                                         1/4 teaspoon
Mixed Spice.                                 1/4 teaspoon
Vanilla flavor.                                1/2 teaspoon
Lemon flavor.                                1/2 teaspoon
Butterscotch                                   1/2 teaspoon
Brown paper/parchment paper.       1 piece

METHOD
In the bowl of your mixer measure the margarine and sugar and cream until it is light and fluffy.
Measure the flour and add the baking powder, nutmeg , mixed spice, cinnamon.
Break the eggs into a bowl and add the vanilla, lemon and butterscotch flavors.
Set your mixer to the lowest and interchangeably add the flour and the eggs.
When fully incorporated increase mixer speed.
Add 1/8 cup of browning.
Sieve the mixed fruits (for best results soak the mixed fruits @ least 2 days before using it).
Add the mixed fruits to the batter.
Line your baking pan with brown paper.
Spoon the batter into the baking pan.
Bake in a preheated oven on very low heat until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Remove the brown paper around the cake.
Viola you have your moist delicious fruit cake.

For pictures and more recipes visit www.auntysazzy..com

Re: Fruit Cake Recipe by Ahmeen: 1:21pm On Aug 03, 2014
Re: Fruit Cake Recipe by ibizgirl(f): 6:30pm On Aug 03, 2014
Mixed fruits are dried up fruits sold in a pack, they are kind off like currants and mixed spice is a spice just like you buy curry or thyme. You can get get both in any shop where you buy your baking ingredients in any market.

Ahmeen: Ibizgirl,pls,wats mixed fruits?nd mixed spice...clarify pls
Re: Fruit Cake Recipe by Ahmeen: 8:33pm On Aug 03, 2014
?
Re: Fruit Cake Recipe by sleekman(m): 3:43pm On Aug 04, 2014
Hmmm! Na this one u dey call fruit cake? Abeg go 2 Sweden and ask 4 fruit cake then come tell me d difference.
Re: Fruit Cake Recipe by ibizgirl(f): 6:02pm On Aug 04, 2014
As I nor know road go Sweden na cheesy cheesy I said simplest fruit cake recipe. There are lot's of fruit cake recipes, this is the basic, you can add more fruits, you can add cherries. But all fruit cakes are just variation of this basic recipe

sleekman: Hmmm! Na this one u dey call fruit cake? Abeg go 2 Sweden and ask 4 fruit cake then come tell me d difference.

1 Like

Re: Fruit Cake Recipe by ibizgirl(f): 6:10pm On Aug 04, 2014
I will sure do that but for now most of what you will find are cake and icing recipes.

http://auntysazzy..com/2013/11/how-to-make-sugar-roses-part-1-making-o.html?m=0

http://auntysazzy..com/2013/11/how-to-make-sugar-roses-part-1-making-o.html?m=0

Ahmeen: thanks alot,also can u post d link to sugar crafting on your blog?
Re: Fruit Cake Recipe by sleekman(m): 6:37pm On Aug 04, 2014
Fruit cakes in Sweden are no way near what u posted. Real fruits are used. Strawberry, kewt, blueberries etc. I'm yet 2c a real fruit cake in 9ja.
Re: Fruit Cake Recipe by ibizgirl(f): 7:12pm On Aug 04, 2014
To garnish the cake or in the cake?

sleekman: Fruit cakes in Sweden are no way near what u posted. Real fruits are used. Strawberry, kewt, blueberries etc. I'm yet 2c a real fruit cake in 9ja.
Re: Fruit Cake Recipe by sleekman(m): 8:39pm On Aug 05, 2014
ibizgirl: To garnish the cake or in the cake?

d fruits are d cake. U should checkout d recipe online. The cake will blow ur mind out. That's what I call a cake.
Re: Fruit Cake Recipe by breadplanets(f): 3:31pm On Aug 09, 2014
sleekman: d fruits are d cake. U should checkout d recipe online. The cake will blow ur mind out. That's what I call a cake.
and im sure you see afang soup in sweden too? Abeg make we hear word.

3 Likes

Re: Fruit Cake Recipe by bece: 6:31pm On Aug 10, 2014
sleekman: Fruit cakes in Sweden are no way near what u posted. Real fruits are used. Strawberry, kewt, blueberries etc. I'm yet 2c a real fruit cake in 9ja.
Those are called dessert cakes here
Re: Fruit Cake Recipe by mamachops(f): 9:15am On Aug 11, 2014

Now that we know you have been to sweden, can we hear word?? ... When you eat fruit cake from the cake boss you should also come and inform us..

Obviously you dont bake, otherwise you will know tbere are variations in cakes....there are hundreds of fruit cake recipe. no matter the fruits u choose to use, they will fall into a batter mix as in the recipe above. You only need to order your choice variation from your vendor.....so don't say, you have not seen real fruit cake here..... simply because you don't know what a fruit cake is. the fruit combination should be as you desire.....from citrus to berries and all.....

by the way, ibizgirl welldone.....

4 Likes

Re: Fruit Cake Recipe by ibizgirl(f): 9:30am On Aug 11, 2014
Thanks dear

mamachops:

Now that we know you have been to sweden, can we hear word?? ... When you eat fruit cake from the cake boss you should also come and inform us..

Obviously you dont bake, otherwise you will know tbere are variations in cakes....there are hundreds of fruit cake recipe. no matter the fruits u choose to use, they will fall into a batter mix as in the recipe above. You only need to order your choice variation from your vendor.....so don't say, you have not seen real fruit cake here..... simply because you don't know what a fruit cake is. the fruit combination should be as you desire.....from citrus to berries and all.....

Re: Fruit Cake Recipe by Kaffy8910(f): 8:53am On Aug 12, 2014
U'r the bomb. Its not different from what I know. But I have a question. Can one use lemon/lime in place of brandy for soaking the dry fruits? Trying to avoid alcohol, I heard someone said its possible and the cake lasted for a while.
Re: Fruit Cake Recipe by ibizgirl(f): 11:30am On Aug 12, 2014
I haven't heard of this method of using lime/lemon juice to soak your fruits. I know you can add lime/lemon juice or lemon rind grated into your fruit cake.
But if you do try it and it turns out well please let us know.
Learning is always a continuous process.

Kaffy8910: U'r the bomb. Its not different from what I know. But I have a question. Can one use lemon/lime in place of brandy for soaking the dry fruits? Trying to avoid alcohol, I heard someone said its possible and the cake lasted for a while.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fruit Cake Recipe by bece: 12:28pm On Aug 12, 2014
yes i do use orange juice to soak my fruits
some clients of mine dont take alchol, i use store bought juice like chivita etc and it comes out nice ,flavourful and i use fruit juice as the liquid in my fruot cakes.

1 Like

Re: Fruit Cake Recipe by mamachops(f): 3:42pm On Aug 12, 2014
I use any citrus fruit like orange, lemon or lime to soak the dry fruit and still add the juice to the cake...But I think lemon is the best. Though it lasts a while, alcohol is still better. you can also add the powdered preservative if you really want it to stay for a very long time.
Re: Fruit Cake Recipe by ibizgirl(f): 7:49pm On Aug 12, 2014
WOW @mamachops and @bebe thanks for this wonderful info, different customers have different desires. Actually know alcohol could be completely eliminated from fruit cake
Re: Fruit Cake Recipe by sleekman(m): 8:49am On Aug 14, 2014
breadplanets: and im sure you see afang soup in sweden too? Abeg make we hear word.
I know u ladies hate it when a man cooks better than u. Funny enough I eat Afang and any type of soup there. There are African shops there.
Re: Fruit Cake Recipe by breadplanets(f): 9:21am On Aug 14, 2014
sleekman: I know u ladies hate it when a man cooks better than u. Funny enough I eat Afang and any type of soup there. There are African shops there.
Hahahahahaha..... You've been to sweden before and you ate afang soup there. Standing ovation... Now make we hear abeg.
Re: Fruit Cake Recipe by cynhamscakes(f): 3:52pm On Aug 14, 2014
Ibizgirl, welldone.

If you are making an uniced cake for a client, try sprinkling some fruits on top of the batter before putting the pan in the oven. This will give the cake a richer and more appealing appearance.

This is a sample below.

2 Likes

Re: Fruit Cake Recipe by ibizgirl(f): 4:05pm On Aug 14, 2014
Fruits or currants

cynhamscakes: Ibizgirl, welldone.

If you are making an uniced cake for a client, try sprinkling some fruits on top of the batter before putting the pan in the oven. This will give the cake a richer and more appealing appearance.

This is a sample below.
Re: Fruit Cake Recipe by cynhamscakes(f): 4:41pm On Aug 14, 2014
ibizgirl: Fruits or currants

Whichever. They are all used for fruit cakes.
Hmmmnnn but i thought the fruits used in the cake i posted above are actually dried grapes?
Re: Fruit Cake Recipe by Tenderly1(f): 12:14am On Aug 15, 2014
sleekman: I know u ladies hate it when a man cooks better than u. Funny enough I eat Afang and any type of soup there. There are African shops there.
. Guy go look bush! Ladies dnt mind this man who has been to Sweden. Mr sleekman abi na woman wrapper knowledge they say is versatile, why dnt you share your recipe instead of babbling.

2 Likes

Re: Fruit Cake Recipe by pitipom: 12:09pm On Aug 15, 2014
Thanks ibizgirl for this. I'm dutifully following ur blog. Looking forward to more recipes.
Oga sweden,there are uncountable cake recipes online abeg,its obvious you know about only this sweden one. if u feel sweden cake is the best,share the recipe here and stop running down someone else's recipe.
Sweden cake ko, Ijebu cake ni. Mshewwww.

3 Likes

Re: Fruit Cake Recipe by ibizgirl(f): 12:28pm On Aug 15, 2014
Thanks dear

pitipom: Thanks ibizgirl for this. I'm dutifully following ur blog. Looking forward to more recipes.
Oga sweden,there are uncountable cake recipes online abeg,its obvious you know about only this sweden one. if u feel sweden cake is the best,share the recipe here and stop running down someone else's recipe.
Re: Fruit Cake Recipe by Ahmeen: 3:03pm On Aug 15, 2014
Re: Fruit Cake Recipe by ibizgirl(f): 5:55pm On Aug 15, 2014
4 weeks and you are good to go. You just build on the knowledge you gain, you can't learn it all @ once

Ahmeen: Ibizgirl nd others,pls,ao many wks will it take to learn cake baking and sugar crafting?
Re: Fruit Cake Recipe by sleekman(m): 7:34pm On Aug 17, 2014
breadplanets: Hahahahahaha..... You've been to sweden before and you ate afang soup there. Standing ovation... Now make we hear abeg.
thanx 4d ovation. Thank u, thank u, thank u. I want 2 thank God 4 his mercies... No be only Sweden I don reach O! The list long but no carry fruit flavoured cake dey come my side O! After unu go say unu sabi cook/bake. Even rat go vomit dat ur concussion
Re: Fruit Cake Recipe by sleekman(m): 7:40pm On Aug 17, 2014
mamachops:

Madam I don't need 2 bake na? U ladies should give us natural fruit cakes and not that wannabe cake u call cake. Be innovative and u'll make killer cakes I assure u. By d way those 'Swedish fruit cakes' eh! Will blow ur panties off.
Re: Fruit Cake Recipe by sleekman(m): 7:42pm On Aug 17, 2014
pitipom: Thanks ibizgirl for this. I'm dutifully following ur blog. Looking forward to more recipes.
ha! Mo gbe Mo daran! Ijebu garri ni smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Does Beans Take Less Time To Prepare These Days? / I Want To Slim Down Pls Advice What Should I Do? / Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Samosa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.