Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,923 members, 7,817,705 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:37 PM

South Korea Invitations For Nigerians Withdrawn On Ebola Fears - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South Korea Invitations For Nigerians Withdrawn On Ebola Fears (14730 Views)

Corruption Case Against Sylva Withdrawn (ex-bayelsa Governor) / Buhari Eligibility Suit Withdrawn. 22/04/2015 / Soldiers Withdrawn From Amaechi's Governor's Lodge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

South Korea Invitations For Nigerians Withdrawn On Ebola Fears by calddon(m): 11:57am On Aug 04, 2014
University rescinds conference invitation for Nigerians amid concerns about spread of deadly virus from West Africa.

A South Korean university has rescinded an invitation for three Nigerians to attend a conference and a group of South Korean medical volunteers has called off a trip to West Africa amid growing concerns about the spread of the deadly Ebola virus.

The Duksung Women's University in Seoul said in a statement the school "politely withdrew" its invitation for three Nigerian students to attend an international conference that it is co-hosting with the UN starting from Monday.

Fear about a possible spread of the deadly virus had prompted a student from the university to post a plea on the country's presidential office web site, asking for the cancellation of the entire event.

The university has said it was going ahead with the conference to be attended by students, including 28 from Africa.

Since February, more than 700 people in West Africa have died from Ebola, a hemorrhagic virus with a death rate of up to 90 percent of those infected.

South Korea on Monday issued a special travel advisory asking people to refrain from visiting Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea, while a group of South Korean medical volunteer workers scrapped an annual trip to African countries including Ivory Coast and Ghana that was scheduled for August.

South Korean bloggers have posted online petitions, including one urging South Korean missionaries working in the region to be barred from returning home.

West African leaders agreed last week to take stronger measures to try to bring the worst outbreak of Ebola under control and prevent it spreading outside the region, including steps to isolate rural communities ravaged by the disease.

A group of protesters in Monrovia, the Liberian capital, demonstrated against the spread of the outbreak on Sunday, calling on authorities to remove the bodies of those killed more quickly.

Borders on red alert

Al Jazeera's Ahmed Idris, reporting from Abuja, said soldiers had been deployed in Nigeria to make sure the bodies of victims were buried immediately, amid warnings of eating meat from wild animals such as bats and monkeys.

Nigeria, which diagnosed its first case of the virus only last week, has placed all of its ports and borders on red alert.

Earlier, on Saturday, the Dubai carrier Emirates became the first major international airline to impose a ban in response to the outbreak by suspending flights to Guinea.

Also, in line with guidelines from the International Air Transport Association (IATA) and the World Health Organisation, several major airlines and international airports have started health screening passengers on flights from West Africa.

But IATA said on Thursday the WHO was not recommending travel restrictions or border closures, and there would be a low risk to other passengers if an infected person flew.

Nigeria's largest airline Arik Air, which flies to a limited number of international destinations including London, has stopped flights to Liberia and Sierra Leone.

Pan-African airline Asky was suspended by Nigeria's civil aviation authorities for bringing the first Ebola case to the country's largest city, Lagos.
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa/2014/08/s-korea-invitations-withdrawn-ebola-fears-20148444471593.html

1 Like

Re: South Korea Invitations For Nigerians Withdrawn On Ebola Fears by datguru: 12:00pm On Aug 04, 2014
That one concern them , if they like make them ban all the citizens wey dey Africa

For the first time, I'm the number one . FTC

#haterscangoanddie

1 Like

Re: South Korea Invitations For Nigerians Withdrawn On Ebola Fears by misterh(m): 3:31pm On Aug 04, 2014
Proactive.

1 Like

Re: South Korea Invitations For Nigerians Withdrawn On Ebola Fears by BrAkingNews: 3:31pm On Aug 04, 2014
Boys are not smiling oooo

BUSTED: Cheating Wife Caught In The Act & Forced To Have $ex With Her Boyfriend In Public
>>> http://www./nigerian-celebrities-scandals/cheating-wife-caught-in-the-act/

“Though I’m Over 50, I’ve Not Ruled out Marriage” – Ngozi Nwosu
>>> http://www./entertainment/though-im-over-50-ive-not-ruled-out-marriage/
Re: South Korea Invitations For Nigerians Withdrawn On Ebola Fears by Nobody: 3:32pm On Aug 04, 2014
God where are you? My family! cry

1 Like

Re: South Korea Invitations For Nigerians Withdrawn On Ebola Fears by Liability(m): 3:34pm On Aug 04, 2014
prevension is beta dan key your!
Re: South Korea Invitations For Nigerians Withdrawn On Ebola Fears by igbsam(m): 3:35pm On Aug 04, 2014
This is bad image on the country. They are making it seems as if Ebola Originated from Nigeria itself. Someone called from Italy telling me that Nigeria is the source of Ebola and that the news is all over italy. Even his co-workers are scared of approaching her or shaking hands with her. Is it that the world is waiting for every bad news to come out of Nigeria ni....... undecided

3 Likes

Re: South Korea Invitations For Nigerians Withdrawn On Ebola Fears by BrAkingNews: 3:35pm On Aug 04, 2014
Khalessi: God where are you? My family! cry
Re: South Korea Invitations For Nigerians Withdrawn On Ebola Fears by Nobody: 3:35pm On Aug 04, 2014
Re: South Korea Invitations For Nigerians Withdrawn On Ebola Fears by Nobody: 3:38pm On Aug 04, 2014
Sumtin nigeria culdnt control frm entering dia own country. Smh

1 Like

Re: South Korea Invitations For Nigerians Withdrawn On Ebola Fears by Nobody: 3:39pm On Aug 04, 2014
Obinoscopy,Mukina2,Mynd44,Seun please I'ld like to know why this thread made the Fp considering the fact that it was created at 11:25 am. But this https://www.nairaland.com/1842029/ebola-nigerians-kicked-out-conference was created as early as 8:26 am. This is absurd. Please I don't like that. Not at all.

2 Likes

Re: South Korea Invitations For Nigerians Withdrawn On Ebola Fears by Isiterere(m): 3:39pm On Aug 04, 2014
This Ebola sef, we will surely defeat you.

ALL IZZ WELL

1 Like

Re: South Korea Invitations For Nigerians Withdrawn On Ebola Fears by IAMBREEZY: 3:41pm On Aug 04, 2014
Nawa!
Re: South Korea Invitations For Nigerians Withdrawn On Ebola Fears by oduastates: 3:42pm On Aug 04, 2014
Nonody wants to catch skibbo.
By the way, it does not matter whether they ban people or not.
If this turns into a pandemic ,Ebola is going to eventually catch up with them.
Re: South Korea Invitations For Nigerians Withdrawn On Ebola Fears by Christoskurion: 3:44pm On Aug 04, 2014
Just a single problem that has become grobal threat. Ebola,man can easily fear you but refuses to fear the Almighty God.
Re: South Korea Invitations For Nigerians Withdrawn On Ebola Fears by Nobody: 3:46pm On Aug 04, 2014
Re: South Korea Invitations For Nigerians Withdrawn On Ebola Fears by Big4wig(m): 3:55pm On Aug 04, 2014
Re: South Korea Invitations For Nigerians Withdrawn On Ebola Fears by gabriel212: 3:55pm On Aug 04, 2014
Nobleval: Obinoscopy,Mukina2,Mynd44,Seun please I'ld like to know why this thread made the Fp considering the fact that it was created at 11:25 am. But this https://www.nairaland.com/1842029/ebola-nigerians-kicked-out-conference was created as early as 8:26 am. This is absurd. Please I don't like that. Not at all.
Please is anything attached to story that made FRONT PAGE?

8 Likes

Re: South Korea Invitations For Nigerians Withdrawn On Ebola Fears by Tracygold(f): 3:56pm On Aug 04, 2014
cry embarassedI cover myself, my family, my body nd soul wit d blood of Jesus, ebola ur own too much na, abeg leave our country nd people alone. cry cry cry cry

3 Likes

Re: South Korea Invitations For Nigerians Withdrawn On Ebola Fears by acada111(f): 3:58pm On Aug 04, 2014
[quote author=BrAkingNews][/quote]
Chill, they are fine IJN..... Amen.
Re: South Korea Invitations For Nigerians Withdrawn On Ebola Fears by acada111(f): 3:59pm On Aug 04, 2014
Khalessi: God where are you? My family! cry
Chill.....they are fine IJN...Amen
Re: South Korea Invitations For Nigerians Withdrawn On Ebola Fears by Dexpro: 4:00pm On Aug 04, 2014
Shudders......
Re: South Korea Invitations For Nigerians Withdrawn On Ebola Fears by Swagavillage(m): 4:04pm On Aug 04, 2014
ok
Re: South Korea Invitations For Nigerians Withdrawn On Ebola Fears by Nobody: 4:11pm On Aug 04, 2014
gabriel212:
Please is anything attached to story that made FRONT PAGE?
b4 nko? I post topics on politics section for them to make the FP. First come...first serve. I broke the news on this forum first..So why should a topic that is 3hrs late make the homepage while mine is allowed to go into oblivion. I use the search bar before creating any thread to make sure the topics hasn't been posted earlier. I don't cry over split milksmiley but Seun should take note. Obinoscopy is perhaps the only reasonable S.Mod we have around here{I don't know about the others} but he don dey fall my hand. Agreed 4 topics of mine are currently on the FP BUT I SHOULDN'T BE EXPECTED TO KEEP QUIET WHEN CHEATED. They did that yesterdaysmiley well no wahala

1 Like

Re: South Korea Invitations For Nigerians Withdrawn On Ebola Fears by Adenugay(m): 4:17pm On Aug 04, 2014
tHIS Ebola Virus is really trending oOo...Bloggers go make cool duo *winks*

OMG: Actress Tonto Dikeh Risking Her Life With Ebola Virus

The deadly Ebola is now in Nigeria and it it easily spread through animals. So, many people are wondering why Tonto Dikeh is romancing animals too loosely these days, including a monkey.
Check out HER shocking photos here >>> http://www..com/actress-tonto-dikeh-risking-life-ebola-virus/
Re: South Korea Invitations For Nigerians Withdrawn On Ebola Fears by Nobody: 4:22pm On Aug 04, 2014
Has anyone actually been confirmed to have contracted this disease in Nigeria?..
Re: South Korea Invitations For Nigerians Withdrawn On Ebola Fears by kingthreat(m): 4:33pm On Aug 04, 2014
I'm tired of hearing Ebola everytime on the news, blogs, BB broadcasts, TV, etc. O Lord please let this all go away. Here in Africa, we cannot control epidemics.
Re: South Korea Invitations For Nigerians Withdrawn On Ebola Fears by hazyfm: 4:42pm On Aug 04, 2014
NOT GOOD AT ALL
Re: South Korea Invitations For Nigerians Withdrawn On Ebola Fears by hayoakins(m): 4:47pm On Aug 04, 2014
cry cry cry cry

Don't the Koreans know the difference between one (1) case recorded in Nigeria in relation to the over 700 stated and haven't they heard of quarantine process before?

1 Like

Re: South Korea Invitations For Nigerians Withdrawn On Ebola Fears by Litmus: 5:03pm On Aug 04, 2014
Nigerians are too 'blasé' about these misinformation that tarnish our reputation. We have to fight them. It Is no longer okay just to think that since you're an isoko man outsiders can say whatever they like about Nigeria.

The outside world cant be bothered to differentiate. Nigeria has become to them another word for African. So, just as all prostitutes in Europe and Asia are referred to as Nigerians, so too, if we don't fight it, will all Ebola sufferers be Nigerians. Believe it or not when they see Liberia, Guinea, etc on their Tv's they think Nigeria.

The fact that many Africans cant be bothered to dispel the automatic belief of the questioner that he or she is Nigerian has not helped us.

We don't have to suffer that price just because we're popular.

4 Likes

Re: South Korea Invitations For Nigerians Withdrawn On Ebola Fears by ichommy(m): 5:29pm On Aug 04, 2014
Nah wahala o
Re: South Korea Invitations For Nigerians Withdrawn On Ebola Fears by omoadeleye(m): 5:53pm On Aug 04, 2014
one Liberian how many Nigerian... aah...let's try and go back to our traditional herb for now and pray at least we are not doing evil

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ahmad Lawan Scored 152 Votes (APC Presidential Primary) / Fani-kayode's Ex Wife, Yemisi Wada, Distances Herself From Online Publication / Reno Omokri Lampoons Mbaka, Bakare Over Silence On Corruption Cases

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.