Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,993 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:03 AM

Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others (23063 Views)

Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages / Official Languages Of African Countries---very Sad / I Hope That The Indigenous Languages Of Nigeria Will Continue To Be Spoken. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by Proxy001(m): 11:19am On Aug 06, 2014
OdenigboAroli: How about Bini language?
How many Bini can boast of know how to speak the language.
Oba and his chiefs are probably the ones left that knows how to speak the language.
let me believe DAT its either u are trying to get attention looking for trouble or just been ignorant. laho ghe gumwen muebo noto gbue ooo
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by Briareos(m): 11:25am On Aug 06, 2014
Ceasar1:

No offense, but do you understand what I'm trying to say at all? undecided

We both need to understand each other before proceeding to discuss.

This is your initial statement -->

I'm not a fan of our cultural diversity. It has installed nothing but hatred, division, and distrust amongst Us. We can't function as one because we are all different. So I don't give a damn about it's extinction! Wtcheww!

Take note of the bolded. -- We can't function as one because we are different--. And language is one of our many differences in Nigeria, right?.

But can we be as diversified as U.S? Almost all nationalities of the world share the suffix - American e.g Nigeria-American, British-American, Korea-American, etc. Most of the world culture converge at this country. Yet, in this country of much diversity, they seem to cohabit peacefully.

Somalia, on the other hand, are least diversified. They are majorly of one tribe, speak the language and naturally have the same culture. Yet, they are at each other's throat. They are always fighting and killing each other.

Put these two scenarios into mind, and re-read your initial response again.

1 Like

Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by xtervaganza(m): 11:35am On Aug 06, 2014
makzeze: HAUSA SHOULD BE MADE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE OF NIGERIA.
you're right....

You can move along with your cows now

You reason Luke them
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by Nobody: 12:00pm On Aug 06, 2014
Briareos:

Yap, Americans are diversify - Agreed. But they officially and naturally speak one language which we don't. Now I can bet my last penny that you as a Nigerian cannot orally identify 20% of our languages. This here Bro, is where the division starts to kick In.

- In the somalia case, it's a religious conflict between radical and moderate Islamists. This too is because of diversity - that's if you consider religion as cultural.

Funny though, I know you conveniently refuse to acknowledged the existence of peaceful countries with unified culture like Lesotho, Tunisia, Japan, etc but that's not a bug.

1 Like

Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by patwilly(m): 12:05pm On Aug 06, 2014
Nice thread. May i also add that i served in Fana town, Kebbi state in 2013. The original language of the inhabitants of the town is KABAWA and KANGAWA;- these languages are almost extinct as they are spoken only by a motley few mostly elderly people. The hausa/fulani raiders established their culture and language and as such is the dominant language spoken in these parts. However, a tiny minority of the town(the JABARAMA) still speak JABARAMA-this might be in part to sucessful resistance to Usman dan fodio's hordes and a civilization that spreads to present day Niger and Benin republics.
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:06pm On Aug 06, 2014
Ceasar1:

- In the somalia case, it's a religious conflict between radical and moderate Islamists. This too is because of diversity - that's if you consider religion as cultural.

Thats bullshit . The Somali conflict started because of political clan disagreements.
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by Nobody: 12:14pm On Aug 06, 2014
PAGAN9JA:

Thats bullshit . The Somali conflict started because of political clan disagreements.

I knew you were nearby, still hiding in the holes Eh. Well Pagan, do you research Well before embracing your keyboard next time.

Somalia Conflict undecided

1 Like

Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 12:17pm On Aug 06, 2014
Diversity is overrated
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:34pm On Aug 06, 2014
Ceasar1:

I knew you were nearby, still hiding in the holes Eh. Well Pagan, do you research Well before embracing your keyboard next time.

Somalia Conflict undecided

Go research yourself.

The Somali Civil War is an ongoing civil war taking place in Somalia. It grew out of resistance to the Siad Barre regime during the 1980s. By 1988–90, the Somali Armed Forces began engaging various armed rebel groups, including the Somali Salvation Democratic Front in the northeast, the Somali National Movement in the northwest, and the United Somali Congress in the south. The clan-based armed opposition groups eventually managed to overthrow the Barre government in 1991.

2 Likes

Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:34pm On Aug 06, 2014
CAMNEWTON4PRES: Diversity is overrated

Diversity is a fact of life.

The Universe itself is diverse.

Without diversity, we cannot develop.
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by patwilly(m): 12:36pm On Aug 06, 2014
Briareos:

Take note of the bolded. -- We can't function as one because we are different--. And language is one of our many differences in Nigeria, right?.

But can we be as diversified as U.S? Almost all nationalities of the world share the suffix - American e.g Nigeria-American, British-American, Korea-American, etc. Most of the world culture converge at this country. Yet, in this country of much diversity, they seem to cohabit peacefully.

Somalia, on the other hand, are least diversified. They are majorly of one tribe, speak the language and naturally have the same culture. Yet, they are at each other's throat. They are always fighting and killing each other.

Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by patwilly(m): 12:38pm On Aug 06, 2014
Briareos:

I beg to disagree as it seems you are missing a very important point. I am an avowed proponent/believer of Black conciousness but i'm sorry to say, the black man is yet to shed his inherent MISTRUST for persons of a diverse linguistic identity especially if housed within the same geographical location. Note that the keyword here is TRUST!especially given his penchant for stereotype. I am from the middle belt where the distance between two tribes and/or dialect could be as much as a strong man could throw a stone and i know how easy it is to classify a certain tribe as primitive or uncivilised not taking into account our own faults of course. What i'm saying in effect is that, it is imperative that tribes/languages/cultures assimilate and absorb each other as quickly as possible until as to such a time when we can have more "manageable" fractions like the US or other Western democracies where these things count to a lesser degree. The Somalia situation is a one off. Africans have been known to harbour misgivings about a certain tribe or two to more than a healthy degree and this is not about to change soon. Until then, i'l still call a Tiv man a beast because of his rude and rather violent disposition when slightly provoked and an Igede man Lazy because of his rather naive manner of leaving his very fertile soil to farm another man's own for money.

1 Like

Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by Briareos(m): 1:15pm On Aug 06, 2014
Ceasar1:

Yap, Americans are diversify - Agreed. But they officially and naturally speak one language which we don't. Now I can bet my last penny that you as a Nigerian cannot orally identify 20% of our languages. This here Bro, is where the division starts to kick In.

Funny though, I know you conveniently refuse to acknowledged the existence of peaceful countries with unified culture like Lesotho, Tunisia, Japan, etc but that's not a bug.

The bolded is my point. How can you actively conclude that diversity is the bane of hatred in Nigeria when Religion has played a big role in the animosity?

diversity has been proven to work a la US so you cant just conclude it is bad for us.

1 Like

Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:32pm On Aug 06, 2014
Religion is the problem of Nigeria. not diversity.
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by pazienza(m): 2:05pm On Aug 06, 2014
1shortblackboy: When a smaller group lives close to a larger group and has constant interactions with the larger gruop, its Language may go extinct. These are known facts to linguits and anthropologists......Igbos take note

No ethnic group in Southern Nigeria is bigger than Igbo, don't see any need for us to take note.
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by pazienza(m): 2:08pm On Aug 06, 2014
makzeze: HAUSA SHOULD BE MADE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE OF NIGERIA.

Don't be in a haste,it's only a mater of time before Hausa becomes an official language of a new country named, united Nigerianistan, comprising of Oduanistan and Arewanistan. *grins*
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by pazienza(m): 2:15pm On Aug 06, 2014
Sweetlemon: Nope! English is NOT the cause of the extinction. How can it be when the average graduate can hardly construct simple sentences without throwing bombs?

The real cause is the larger languages swallowing up the smaller ones. For instance, in the North and even middle belt everybody speaks Hausa. Ask them their main language and you will hear all sorts of strange names. Can they speak their own languages? Hardly!
In the Niger-delta, apart from the Urhobos, the Ijaws, and Ishekiris, pidgin is the lingua franca. Even among Yorubas and Igbos, they still have their own versions. How many Ijebus can speak Ijebu gan gan? How many Igbos can speak their own Igbo versions? The only groups still keeping up with their languages are the Efiks, Ibibios, Oron, Eket, Annang, and a few other groups from Akwa-Ibom/Cross River.

In the SE,Igbo language is the language of communication in all urban centres. In the rural areas, Igbo dialects hold sway.

1 Like

Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by pazienza(m): 2:16pm On Aug 06, 2014
Sweetlemon: Nope! English is NOT the cause of the extinction. How can it be when the average graduate can hardly construct simple sentences without throwing bombs?

The real cause is the larger languages swallowing up the smaller ones. For instance, in the North and even middle belt everybody speaks Hausa. Ask them their main language and you will hear all sorts of strange names. Can they speak their own languages? Hardly!
In the Niger-delta, apart from the Urhobos, the Ijaws, and Ishekiris, pidgin is the lingua franca. Even among Yorubas and Igbos, they still have their own versions. How many Ijebus can speak Ijebu gan gan? How many Igbos can speak their own Igbo versions? The only groups still keeping up with their languages are the Efiks, Ibibios, Oron, Eket, Annang, and a few other groups from Akwa-Ibom/Cross River.
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by pazienza(m): 2:19pm On Aug 06, 2014
Briareos:

Diversity is not responsible for hatred, division and distrust among us.

Somalia has just one tribe - yet they are war torn. US is the most diversified country in the world - do I need to say more?

Somalia has Islam, remember what the capital of Pakistan said about Islam? *grins.

A monoethnic mostly xtian republic of Igboland,with no iota of Islam, would soar.
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by pazienza(m): 2:29pm On Aug 06, 2014
Briareos:

America is a migrant country,all the whites there are migrants,like wise the blacks and asians, the original native Americans tribes were at the throat of each other before the coming of the whites.

America is a poor example to use to explain the Nigerian problem. A better example would be Europe, a simple look at the map of Europe would reveal how small some of their countries are, their boundaries weren't artificially created,they were formed in wars. We saw how Yugoslavia,a similar anomaly like Nigeria,broke down into pieces,a similar fate awaits Nigeria.
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by pazienza(m): 2:33pm On Aug 06, 2014
Briareos:

The bolded is my point. How can you actively conclude that diversity is the bane of hatred in Nigeria when Religion has played a big role in the animosity?

diversity has been proven to work a la US so you cant just conclude it is bad for us.

Diversity has played more role in Nigeria than religion. The civil war,which is the biggest event in Nigerian history was a diversity issue.

Thousands were massacred in the North, simply because they were Igbos. It's a diversity issue.

2 Likes

Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by lebesgue(m): 3:04pm On Aug 06, 2014
CAMNEWTON4PRES: Natural trend , the remaining ones should b valued, with one being picked as the national language
Hausa is widely spoken but they dont have enough materials and intellectuals, so i Will go for igbo or yoruba

If we didn't have the common tongue (English), how would you have communicated this thought?
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by teewhybabee(f): 3:49pm On Aug 06, 2014
Otam anebira, avu dahi ? [quote author=BrAkingNews]hmm. Thank God Ebira language isn't there
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by teewhybabee(f): 3:51pm On Aug 06, 2014
BrAkingNews: hmm. Thank God Ebira language isn't there
/
Otam anebira, avu dahi?
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by makzeze: 3:52pm On Aug 06, 2014
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by BrAkingNews: 3:53pm On Aug 06, 2014
teewhybabee: Otam anebira, avu dahi?
yea, ete o dahi oo, waadahi?
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by Nobody: 4:32pm On Aug 06, 2014
pazienza:

Diversity has played more role in Nigeria than religion. The civil war,which is the biggest event in Nigerian history was a diversity issue.

Thousands were massacred in the North, simply because they were Igbos. It's a diversity issue.

Simple and clear as crystal.

Tag. Briareos & PAGAN9JA - Do read this over again.
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:44pm On Aug 06, 2014
makzeze:
I know my brothers from the south will attack me.

I myself am not hausa, am from a minority tribe in the North.

I hope one day Hausa will become official language of Naija because of the following reasons:

1. It is spoken by about 70% of Nigerians
2. It is the most widely spoken language in west africa, than any other tribe.
3. For instance, go to our barracks be it in the north or south, you find out that most personnel speak hausa.

I will provide you with enough proof as the discussion progresses.

I am Hausa and I pray this never happens.

We already have English as a National+International Lingua Franca. We dont need Hausa to come into the equation.

I think if all Nigerians are literate in their own native language and English. It is sufficient.

English for official paperwork and to communicate with people from other tribes and non-Nigerians.

Our native language for communication within our group.

If anyone wants to learn more languages , it is their own personal choice. But as long as each Nigerian individual is well versed in these 2 languages, it is sufficient.

2 Likes

Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by Yemlizzy(f): 4:50pm On Aug 06, 2014
Quite a handful of them!
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:52pm On Aug 06, 2014
Ceasar1:

Simple and clear as crystal.

Tag. Briareos & PAGAN9JA - Do read this over again.

WHy didnt other tribes fight as well?

Why only Igbos?

There is politics involved in this as well.

To get to the root point, the division of Nigeria itself was not done properly.

The british, just like they created the israel problem, created the Nigerian one.

If the british had divided Hausaland and parts of Niger and Chad as one separate entity (Arewa/Hausaland), and Northern Cameroon and Adamawa as a separate entity and South-East Nigeria with South Cameroon and South-West Nigeria with Benin &Togo..............the entire African division of countries would have made MORE SENSE.

Biafra would never have occurred.

Nigeria is man-made problem, just like israel , Sudan,etc.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Chief Tajudeen Gbadesere Is Dead (The Eletu Odibo Of Lagos) / NGWA PEOPLE: Are They Really Cannibals? / The Igbo Concept Of Satan(Ekwensu) And Chukwu (God)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.