Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,188 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:43 AM

Stop Sharing USB Flash Drives - Right Now - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Stop Sharing USB Flash Drives - Right Now (52700 Views)

A must read for your computer safety! Stop Sharing Usb Flash Drives / Logon To Windows Using Your Usb Flash Drive [dongle] / USB Flash Drives In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

Stop Sharing USB Flash Drives - Right Now by baseg25(m): 3:58pm On Aug 04, 2014

It's time to start thinking of smartphones and USB Flash drives like toothbrushes or razors -- for personal use only.
German security researchers have discovered that USB-connected devices have a fatal flaw. Anything that connects via USB can be reprogrammed to pose as another device.

That means a stranger's USB stick could dupe your computer into thinking it's a keyboard, then type in certain commands and quietly take control of your laptop.Or it could pose as a network card, rerouting your Internet traffic so everything you do can be spied on.
Identity theft, bank fraud, extortion -- you name it. Anything follows. And any talented computer engineer can tamper with a device's firmware to dupe a computer.
Some cybersecurity experts, like Rapid7's Trey Ford, say the danger of sharing USB devices have been spotted before.
But SRLabs chief scientist Karsten Nohl, a member of the team that discovered the flaw, said the implications are now clear. Downloading the wrong app can infect your phone, then compromise your computer. And borrowing a stranger's USB stick could infect your computer permanently.
"Someone asking, 'Can I charge my Android on your computer?' will have a much different connotation in the future," Nohl said.
Hacker makes encrypted message app
The problem is made worse, because modern day antivirus and protection software won't catch it. USB duping isn't technically a computer virus in action, just a device masquerading as another one. So, there's no solution for it right now except simply barring Flash drives.
That's the approach the U.S. military takes at sensitive locations. The Pentagon disabled its computers USB ports and banned the use of Flash drives in 2008 to prevent infection of government computers there.
The flaw was discovered by SRLabs researchers Nohl, Jakob Lell and Sascha Krissler, and will be explained in detail at the Black Hat cybersecurity conference next week in Las Vegas.
The team tested with several types of Flash drives, as well as Android smartphones, which connect to computers via USB ports. The team did not test iPhones or other smartphones.
But it's not about a specific kind of device. At its very core, the USB flaw exists because of the convenient nature of computer Universal Serial Bus ports -- they're universal. They accept all sorts of devices -- mouses, microphones, printers and more."That simplicity has a cost," Nohl said.

for latest tech news visit the source : http://techcribng.com/stop-sharing-usb-flash-drives/

17 Likes

Re: Stop Sharing USB Flash Drives - Right Now by cirmuell(m): 5:42pm On Aug 04, 2014
Duh, fear grip me o shocked i tot the thing been they spread ebola too. grin

Edited:
shocked Seun bia, I fit convert this likes to $$$$$$?

534 Likes

Re: Stop Sharing USB Flash Drives - Right Now by Drniyi4u(m): 5:53pm On Aug 04, 2014
cirmuell: Duh, fear grip me o shocked i tot the thing been they spread ebola too. grin

26 Likes

Re: Stop Sharing USB Flash Drives - Right Now by baseg25(m): 5:57pm On Aug 04, 2014
cirmuell: Duh, fear grip me o shocked i tot the thing been they spread ebola too. grin
haba!

Re: Stop Sharing USB Flash Drives - Right Now by Donsammi(m): 2:10pm On Aug 05, 2014
prevention is beta than cure

152 Likes

Re: Stop Sharing USB Flash Drives - Right Now by baseg25(m): 2:41pm On Aug 05, 2014
Donsammi: grin prevention is beta than cure

abi na

Re: Stop Sharing USB Flash Drives - Right Now by bablononi(m): 5:31pm On Aug 06, 2014
seun, dis should make front page

Re: Stop Sharing USB Flash Drives - Right Now by baseg25(m): 5:53pm On Aug 06, 2014
bablononi: seun, dis should make front page
abi o,,,,,,, i dont think there is admin in these section because its so dull

Re: Stop Sharing USB Flash Drives - Right Now by bablononi(m): 5:58pm On Aug 06, 2014
baseg25: abi o,,,,,,, i dont think there is admin in these section because its so dull
if we all mention seun he will move it

Re: Stop Sharing USB Flash Drives - Right Now by Nobody: 6:18pm On Aug 06, 2014
Naija never reach this level
Still on "Yahoo Messenger"

Wey my flash!!! As I see this topic na so I troway my flash embarassed

Finest boy.

Re: Stop Sharing USB Flash Drives - Right Now by sailormoon: 6:18pm On Aug 06, 2014
I was thinking the same thing lool

Re: Stop Sharing USB Flash Drives - Right Now by Project400: 6:19pm On Aug 06, 2014
Good read
Re: Stop Sharing USB Flash Drives - Right Now by chiefololade: 6:20pm On Aug 06, 2014
U nailed it!

Re: Stop Sharing USB Flash Drives - Right Now by tundeayo2020: 6:22pm On Aug 06, 2014
*thinking aloud* wetin i go type o.

Re: Stop Sharing USB Flash Drives - Right Now by kcreal(f): 6:24pm On Aug 06, 2014

My thought as well

Re: Stop Sharing USB Flash Drives - Right Now by JideTheBlogger(m): 6:24pm On Aug 06, 2014
Re: Stop Sharing USB Flash Drives - Right Now by femi4: 6:24pm On Aug 06, 2014
Thank God no be Ebola dey enter flash drives

Re: Stop Sharing USB Flash Drives - Right Now by sandrapower(f): 6:25pm On Aug 06, 2014
Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

See us here http://www.sidusblog.com , for more tips
Re: Stop Sharing USB Flash Drives - Right Now by Tucees(f): 6:26pm On Aug 06, 2014
Hmmm? So what's the alternative for large file sharing? Is there a way to counter this "duping" should incase someones intent of sharing my port is to infiltrate my system?

Re: Stop Sharing USB Flash Drives - Right Now by nikkypearl(f): 6:26pm On Aug 06, 2014
Ohh really
Re: Stop Sharing USB Flash Drives - Right Now by igbsam(m): 6:26pm On Aug 06, 2014
And i thought this is another case of Ebola infecting computers too
Re: Stop Sharing USB Flash Drives - Right Now by TRADELYN: 6:27pm On Aug 06, 2014
Re: Stop Sharing USB Flash Drives - Right Now by CharlieMaria(m): 6:27pm On Aug 06, 2014
Re: Stop Sharing USB Flash Drives - Right Now by uken73(m): 6:27pm On Aug 06, 2014
Each day, new tricks.

Re: Stop Sharing USB Flash Drives - Right Now by Liamm(m): 6:28pm On Aug 06, 2014
guy you funny o grin grin

duh it was my initial thought grin

Re: Stop Sharing USB Flash Drives - Right Now by Smartlux(m): 6:28pm On Aug 06, 2014
thanks op cheesy
Re: Stop Sharing USB Flash Drives - Right Now by greatestman(m): 6:29pm On Aug 06, 2014
Ebola and USB

That was my initial thought
Re: Stop Sharing USB Flash Drives - Right Now by Swagavillage(m): 6:29pm On Aug 06, 2014
yy
Re: Stop Sharing USB Flash Drives - Right Now by jhydebaba(m): 6:29pm On Aug 06, 2014
Chai shocked daris Godu oh!

Why this news this ebola time

If u see the way wey I take drop the USB for my hand thinking it also aids in spreading EBOLA cheesy

Re: Stop Sharing USB Flash Drives - Right Now by Babyboy1986(m): 6:29pm On Aug 06, 2014
Ok ooo, I go come back to comment i just dey pass by.

15 Keyboard Shortcuts Every Computer Geek Should Know / 11 Reasons You Should Quit Facebook In 2014 / How To Know If Your Laptop Is Refurbish