Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,226 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:57 AM

USB Flash Drives In Nigeria - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / USB Flash Drives In Nigeria (8309 Views)

A must read for your computer safety! Stop Sharing Usb Flash Drives / Stop Sharing USB Flash Drives - Right Now / Logon To Windows Using Your Usb Flash Drive [dongle] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

USB Flash Drives In Nigeria by bijorium(m): 7:23am On Jul 02, 2005
I thought it might be a good place to ask if anybody has had a good experience with USB flash drives in the Nigerian market. I would welcome suggestions if you have. I intend to get another one soon. Thanks cheesy
Re: USB Flash Drives In Nigeria by diakim(m): 1:29pm On Jul 02, 2005
I don't know want kind of experience you are requesting for, as you didn't really specify in details.

The USB flash drives are now quite common in the Nigerian market, and the prices have fallen drastically. With N2,500, you can purchase a 128MB capacity of same, though the prices vary according to the model.

As to durability, it depends on which model you purchased. Some of them are quite too plastic and easily crack, while others are a little bit rubberised which makes them more durable.

I've been using my own for about two years now. It is a GENX 128MB, and so far, I got no problem with it. I bought for N,8000 that time.

Since they are cheaper now, you don't really need to worry much about which one you purchased. You can always replace it if one gets damaged. Check the The Guardian Newspaper, Wednesdays for the current price of the USB flash drives.
Re: USB Flash Drives In Nigeria by bijorium(m): 11:29am On Jul 03, 2005
Thanks man. i was in a bit of a haste when i posted that. I bought a flash drive recently. I think i spoilt it by downloading some stuff straight to it. Ever since, every time i plug it in, the LED light just stays on as though i was reading from it. Do you think there's anything I can do it. Or do i have to buy a new one. I will not make that kind of mistake again. Cheers wink
Re: USB Flash Drives In Nigeria by old2boy(m): 9:07am On Jul 04, 2005
Hi!

If you've got the CD that came with it, try pluging it in another PC where you have not used it before and 'format' the flash. (careful not to formart the hard drive).

If it does not work, you might just get another one to save the headache.

all the best.
Re: USB Flash Drives In Nigeria by Chxta(m): 3:59pm On Jul 09, 2005
Most flash drives in te market nowadays are crap. Get a zip if you can afford one, or stick with a CD-RW.
Re: USB Flash Drives In Nigeria by bijorium(m): 10:14pm On Jul 14, 2005
hey folks, thanks for all the help. I got the flash drive replaced at no cost to me save my fare. Thanks for all the help. We may as well lock this topic. Thumbs up. Cheers grin
Re: USB Flash Drives In Nigeria by zebudaya(m): 2:18pm On Jun 13, 2006
zip drives are slow and bulky, cd-rw's are expensive, flash drives are the best, but like other things buy a quality one.

don't pull it out without first telling windows you are removing the drive.
Re: USB Flash Drives In Nigeria by gidig(m): 8:09pm On Jun 14, 2006
, and before you close the thread,did someone say ZIP? In the year 2006? Just 100meg for about a thousand naira and it is just as fragile as the flash. I do some graphics and I know that Zip is really not in anymore. Its almost like a diskette now! I used one flash and it got spoilt. I am on the second one and its 128Mb which I got for N1,200. Its still working after six months. A Cdwriter is great for about 7k , you can have obe installed and write your files out .Imagine what you can do with 700meg .Or a DVD and you get 4gig! Imagine today, I wrote out all the files on my laptop for back up. Not sweat if anything happens.
Re: USB Flash Drives In Nigeria by Hunter(m): 5:14am On Jun 15, 2006
I've got a SanDisk 1gb Curser Titanium, extremely good stick.

I wrote a review about it, not too long ago.

http://hive.net/Member/forums/12178/ShowPost.aspx

It's perticularly good because it's got a very strong metal casing on it, which would be good and ideally suited to nigerian conditions (weather etc)
Re: USB Flash Drives In Nigeria by kambo(m): 3:39pm On Jun 15, 2006
about flash drive u better b careful esp with popular brand names
my experience: i bought my first flash drive in march lastyear, to date i've had to discard 5 flash drives
, problem i thought was with my pc, or me, until i decided to take a last minute gamble,
at the shop i made ma last purchase i bought a chinese flash drive and a samsung flash,
all ma hope was on the samsung, but hell it dissapointed, u can save text to it but not full executable programs,
think the problem is with me. i gat anoda dudes flash , one of this popular ones around, took it to the net
did some heavy downloads.saved stuffs to both ma chin ese flash and the dudes flash,guess what?
the chinese flash performed , as usual , hitchlessly, the other guys flash?
piece of crap,dissapointed at some points: pdf file is damaged? programs are corrupt etc.
from ma point of view , this isnt chance .importers probably import cheap garbage,change the names - to fool the unwary and shove it down our throats at awoof prices.
Re: USB Flash Drives In Nigeria by Bossman(m): 5:15pm On Jun 15, 2006
I second the recommendation for a sandisk product. I have a sandisk 512 cruzer myself. You'll also notice that the sandisk's are a little more expensive than most other brands, and that's for a reason.
Re: USB Flash Drives In Nigeria by ANCIENT(m): 11:30am On Jun 21, 2006
Can any who knows how to password a USB Flash Drive hint me on how to go about it should it be possible!
Send me the procedures to postmails@myway.com
Re: USB Flash Drives In Nigeria by hayprof(m): 7:13pm On Jun 22, 2006
@hunter @Bossman i do hope d SanDisk is a good make. I'm really and badly in need of a flash.
Can u guys hint me on dis?
Feel free to holla me on hayprof@gmail.com
I'll appreciate it.
Re: USB Flash Drives In Nigeria by Bossman(m): 11:04pm On Jun 22, 2006
Yes, sandisk products are very reliable.
Re: USB Flash Drives In Nigeria by Hunter(m): 4:01am On Jun 23, 2006
I carry mine in my pocket everyday (It usually sits flat under my wallet in my pocket) and don't really take any special care of it and it works fine.
According to the box here it has a 5 year warranty.
Re: USB Flash Drives In Nigeria by lukkie(m): 7:12am On Jun 23, 2006
av had a very bad experience with flash drives from computer village in lagos. i'd advise any1 2 stay away from those dat go for like N1,200 or N2,000.

u can get genuine ones from reputable shops in lagos and elsewhere and u shld be prepared 2 pay between N5,000 - N10,000 or even more depending on d capacity and brand. the good ones normally have a warranty which u can confirm with the vendor. those cheap drives from china are not worth it.
Re: USB Flash Drives In Nigeria by larins20(m): 6:00pm On Jun 23, 2006
Hello!
talking about flash drive, you see the little experience i had in the recent time is that some flash drive usually get spoit during power(Nepa) out brake.
Another point is that may be you are trying to read a file and when you are through that particular stuff you stoped the flash without you first close the opened file.
However, all these could contribute the damage of your flash drive.
Sorry guy! its just an experience if only the above stated point occur to you,
Bye cool
Re: USB Flash Drives In Nigeria by hayprof(m): 9:10pm On Jun 23, 2006
@hunter & Bossman u guys plz hint we on how i can get one i need it badly, plzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!
Re: USB Flash Drives In Nigeria by Hunter(m): 1:52pm On Jun 24, 2006
Your best bet is to just shop around I guess, I purchased mine here in Australia so it doesn't really help you tongue
Re: USB Flash Drives In Nigeria by lukkie(m): 8:40pm On Jul 03, 2006
for people who still need the SANDISK flash drive recommended by HUNTER, i got their distributors in Lagos.
Their name is OFFICEMAX,
Century 21 Mall, 14B, Idowu Martins St. Victoria Island, Lagos.
01-7203290, 7908010, 4617655, 7741060.
www.officemaxng.com, service@officemaxng.com

i hope this helps.
Re: USB Flash Drives In Nigeria by gbolex(m): 9:39pm On Jul 28, 2006
Please if you are goin for a flash drive just buy an MP3 player use it as a stick. Am a System engineer and i have been using my MP3 player which i never listen to music on it just used it in saving my files.Its a 128MB i bought it for 6,000 but it cost 5,000 now. Its goin to a yr sice i have been usin it but no prob. grin
Re: USB Flash Drives In Nigeria by zebudaya(m): 10:01pm On Jul 28, 2006
I'd rather buy a flash drive, if you loose it you wont cry as much as you will if you loose an MP3 player!.
Re: USB Flash Drives In Nigeria by hayprof(m): 10:36pm On Jul 28, 2006
@gbolex,why use ur Mp3 player of 128mb as your flash grin when there r flash of 4gb?
Moreso ur Mp3 player will soon die,when u r supposed to be storing mp3 music u r using it to cary files. ogaaaa oooo

@zebudaya: abi ooo wink
Re: USB Flash Drives In Nigeria by 2old4that(m): 6:54pm On Aug 29, 2006
Personally, i don't find flash drives reliable; this is from experience.
I have had to buy 2 or 3 flash in a row; they still gives problem.

for example u can't reboot a syst. (in case of power fluctuation) with a flash drive plugged.
it will render the drive useless when u want to open it again.

I preferred CD-RW or better still zip
Re: USB Flash Drives In Nigeria by Hugoboi(m): 6:58pm On Aug 29, 2006
True!!!
Re: USB Flash Drives In Nigeria by 2old4that(m): 7:42pm On Aug 29, 2006
i still believe that just like floopys came and gone; so also flash drives
And we'll all resort to CDRW, DVD
Re: USB Flash Drives In Nigeria by Aaron2003: 2:18pm On Sep 05, 2006
Hello,
Please I want to buy new flash drives and I don;t know which of the models is good and reliable. please can you advice me on which to buy. I will be happy if i can have an idea of the price of all the models. ( i mean the price for 128MB, 256MB and 512MB for different models. please send the feedback to aransiola6@yahoo.co.uk
Thanks
Re: USB Flash Drives In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:10pm On Sep 05, 2006
@zebudaya
Just yesterday, a friend came over and we were using my PC. He had a 128MB flash with MP3 player + Radio and we were using it. Then NEPA struck. And he removed it. And he came over to my house 2day again and the flash is still working perfectly.

I've heard what posted before about removing flash drives just anyhow, and I told my friend before he removed it, but I was shocked when he came over today. The flash is still working perfectly.

Tayo
Re: USB Flash Drives In Nigeria by ladikol: 3:30am On Sep 11, 2006
Well, talking of falsh drive, I guess the two place you can get reliable flash drive now are Mega Plaza and Park n Shop at Adeola Odeku. Any other place, na oyo u deyo!, Don't even try places like Computer village in Ikeja, Lagos. Even if it's N1,500, The cheaper it is, the more evident it is that it's crap.

Just close ur eyes and face the 2 place i mentioned. The brand I use it call SANDISK, MICRO 256MB and I'm having no probs wit it. I advice u buy the sandisk brand too.

Shalom!
Re: USB Flash Drives In Nigeria by agboifo(f): 3:48pm On Sep 12, 2006
Been using LEXAR Media Flash drive for years and still going strong. All those I've recommended to get this one have not been disappointed.
Re: USB Flash Drives In Nigeria by tunamania(m): 7:30pm On Sep 12, 2006
coolMen guys nice discussion i'll like someone to help me on how i can remove a virus from a flash and i'll like u to know that there is now a 64G flash for $5000 its a PRO 2.0
Re: USB Flash Drives In Nigeria by femiy2k(m): 9:18am On Sep 13, 2006
I use a 1 gb GenX mp3 player/ fm radio which i got for around 12k for my storage media. I bought it over 2 years ago and its still totally reliable and nothing seems 2 affect it, i've not had a corrupted file ever. pls forget all those cheap flash drives they sell at otigba, they are all made with inferior components. i had a friend who bought 256mb sony for around 2kplus, it fell down once and voila, it turned to 64mb, just like magic. after a while, it totally kaputed. cheap sucks, u can get original flash drives at Benchmark on Idowu Taylor in VI.

(1) (2) (Reply)

ALL ITEMS SOLD! !!! / Own The Old Mtn Fastlink Modem (the Zte Mf626) But Need Windows 7 Drivers? / How To Convert Airtime To Data On Airtel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.