Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,233 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:29 AM

NMA Strike Suspended? - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NMA Strike Suspended? (22465 Views)

NMA President Resigns!!!!!!!! / Ebola: Nigeria Reaches Out To U.S. For Experimental Drug; NMA Sets Up Committee / JOHESU Press Release on the NMA STRIKE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by ceaser: 7:05pm On Aug 07, 2014
1234kkkk: Ordinary diagnose they can't do, Chief Gani Fawehenmi was wrongly diagnosed by these dregs Nigerians Doctors of pneumonia and treated for the same ailment at LUTH. After two years ,a London Hospital diagnosed him of cancer. The only thing they can diagnose is increment in call duty allowance, increment in shift allowance, increment in dress allowance and to fight other medical workers as if they are special. After all, they equally patronize India for medical treatment. They should continue with the strike, at least their private hospitals are benefiting from it.

Hmmm. Na wa o. So much blind hate. Perhaps you'll care to read about Prof. Dora akunyili's ailment history. Bing it.

But in case you'd find that difficult to do, a summary of it all is that medicine as a practice is not 100% fool proof. There are a number of factors that contribute to making health delivery effective in a any nation. Policy, funding, continuous education and equipments and facilities are a few of those. Nigerians, just like others in the developed economies have the wherewithal knowledge wise, but re-training and continuous education is what brings it at par with international best practices more so that knowledge and science is advancing daily. Another problem in this country is diagnostic facilities. Private diagnostic centres in the country has brought some improvement in that aspect but that can't guarantee the vision of health for all cos majority can't afford the high costs of such investigations. The government therefore need to equip it's hospitals with modern equipments. The issue of policy formulation is what is causing the current face-off in the health sector. Ever wonder why Cuba and India despite their economic inferiority to Nigeria boast a higher health index to Nigeria? It's mostly due to their health policy, state-of-the art facilities and to some extent continuous education and training to keep abreast of current advances in health delivery. Pls before you start to blame the health team here of not developing themselves, you should know that these things cost money. International seminars and symposiums can't be comfortably self-sponsored, hence the reason why you see international agencies like USAID, WHO etc sponsor people on such trips more so that these things are aimed at improving service delivery and efficiency of such people to the larger population thereby improving community health as the target. How committed has Nigerian government been to such cause?

Lastly and more explicitly, Prof. Dora's ailment was diagnosed correctly I Nigeria and was salvageable as at then. However the foreign doctors made a different, alas a wrong diagnosis which was been managed as equally wrongly. By the time the true picture became obvious to 'em, it was a little too late.

2 Likes

Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by ceaser: 7:24pm On Aug 07, 2014
dumodust:
try to look for gloves in a nigerian hospital, someone will either be hoarding it or eat the money allocated. we are not prepared for the ebola that has been ravaging west african countries for a while now. we dont have enough gear and facilities for barrier care. your government is a joke
in my opinion, no doctor should attend to anyone without provided protective gear and improved conditions... they dont pay enough and people dont appreciate you enough to do that. and to think that we were being castigated for demanding for better hospitals and global care.
now that ebola is around, the silence from johesu is deafening, even on nairaland. cant see that propagandist- 'yourhealthlabs' springing up threads... them don run. now everybody's pushing doctors forward because they know next to nothing about what to do... but they want you to die doing it quoting greed at every instance when you demand for better conditions.
they better come, we must all meet the ebola pts as team players, pharmacist must come and give drugs. team players my foot.
meanwhile RIP to those nigerians killed by ebola... sorry to say so,i feel you guys at first contact did a great job, but sadly, u died in vain. may God grant u eternal peace

But really it's the case in Nigeria with its odd peculiarities. You fight the government for the good of all, yet the same people you're in the same boat together (disadvantaged masses) take sides with their own enemy against you, meanwhile the same people in government laugh behind them and fly to India with the slightest headache, leaving them to continue the squabbles at their own detriment.

Three days ago when the news rent the air that the female doctor that attended to Sawyer is infected, the response of a ward maid was disheartening. She plainly said that may that ebola kill her and that if the doctor is given 200k qs hazard allowance, that will not be enough to motivate them to see an Ebola case. However she forgot that a hazard allowance of 5k had hitherto not stopped them from risking exposure to worse infections. Funny enough, few moments later, this same maid placed a phone call to a paediatrician to complain about her ill daughter. Funny, ain't it?

3 Likes

Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by dumodust(m): 8:29pm On Aug 07, 2014
Arosam:

I thought a Nurse was also infected
Other Health workers has always been Team players, only MDs seems to think otherwise!

Hmmm... I know of the nurse and I've not undervalued anybody, elsewhere maybe, there are team players who know there job description, in nigeria, the quest for positions, titles and undue unmerited importance always beats common sense and reasonable thought. Many have lost focus hence and are not knowledgeable or mentally trained to face such life threatening diseases directly.
anyway, pushing docs forward to die is not the solution, everything here depends on the govt response mainly and all citizens of this country- alas, most of us think negatively and are adamant about ill-informed beliefs about most things so I fear for the worst
God dey sha
Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by dumodust(m): 8:35pm On Aug 07, 2014
Morotov1: Seems JOHESU guys are busy with Ebola, cos since it broke out their members has not been active.
@ NMA is standing on a shaky ground now. Hope they get back in single piece.
hilarious...hahahaha... busy with ebola? cheesy
where are they even busy abeg currently...
As Ebola show, even the cluelessly antagonistic lagos state and docile fg are wailing, piling pressure and blackmailing us to return to the extent of sponsoring fake call off of strike... because it is more glaring now that they have no info about it and if not for the discerning but unfortunate staff of the first consultants in obalende, it could have bin worse

1 Like

Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by dumodust(m): 8:58pm On Aug 07, 2014
mployer:

what sense exactly are you making? That staying at home is all the doctors can offer? Stay at home and wait for ebola to come and wipe out you and your family because you have issues with the government? How is that different from suicide. A lot of us are educated but still with little brain.

I am not a fan of the government but this issue is beyong government palava. Ebola is not programmed to kill only government officials, everybody is a potential victim.

I know the government is not doing the best but doctors has something to contribute as our concerned brothers. They should start by being available first. I mean call off the strike.

They are not dealing with the government, they are failing us. We show them much respect in the society, treated them like kings on campus but this is the reward we get. Please take government out of this, the doctors have failed us.

In the previous news, they were demanding for special number plate so we can recognise them in an accident scene, of what use is that recognition to us when they are not ready to offer the least of help. It is all about feeding their over-bloated ego and demanding more cash

Its a shame and highest point of greed and ignorance.

Thank God ebola doesnt know who a doctor is. Lets watch.
he is making sense and he itemised his points well while u set off on an emotional trip quoting the usual greed etc, an arguement devoid of objectivity.
wat he's saying is that an improvement in facilities (and yes, welfare too) was demanded for and is not even yet on ground but u want the nigerian doctors to return and sacrifice their lives for you without adequate protection as usual while u and your family will sit at home and castigate them as usual. Then u will call them fake docs when even the barest form of protection called hand gloves are not readily available in govt hospitals talk less of isolation equipment and the gear u see in the media. If u need dem so much, treat them well. Even councillors have special plate numbers, though I as a doc see the demand too as crap, if reasons are concrete, wats so special about an identifying plate number? Will it change the price of garri? It will even cause more problems for them because they will now be forced to respond to issues when passing by. And I'm sure u will be the first to point them out when that happens
the white docs that had protection got infected, wat do you think will happen if nigerian docs with no protective gear now start seeing ebola pts? They like all other nigerians have a right to live too, especially when you are not paid enough for it.
stop whining and do the right thing by directing your anger to the people who havent done wat they should do or else certainly like you really seem to promote or wish, we'll all die at home

2 Likes

Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by dumodust(m): 9:01pm On Aug 07, 2014
mployer:
Yes, the government bribed him so he can save your as.s from impending epidemic, yet ignorant you want him impeached.

I think that is what being smart mean to you.
And see how u think? Why dont they just make the necessary changes now it is clear to all that they are needed with the bribe money. They're just trying to save face..
Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by Nobody: 9:08pm On Aug 07, 2014
why turn this thread into doctors' bashing thread?pls,my simple question is 'has the strike been suspended?
Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by CircleOfWilis: 9:16pm On Aug 07, 2014

Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by mployer(m): 9:20pm On Aug 07, 2014
dumodust:
he is making sense and he itemised his points well while u set off on an emotional trip quoting the usual greed etc, an arguement devoid of objectivity.
wat he's saying is that an improvement in facilities (and yes, welfare too) was demanded for and is not even yet on ground but u want the nigerian doctors to return and sacrifice their lives for you without adequate protection as usual while u and your family will sit at home and castigate them as usual. Then u will call them fake docs when even the barest form of protection called hand gloves are not readily available in govt hospitals talk less of isolation equipment and the gear u see in the media. If u need dem so much, treat them well. Even councillors have special plate numbers, though I as a doc see the demand too as crap, if reasons are concrete, wats so special about an identifying plate number? Will it change the price of garri? It will even cause more problems for them because they will now be forced to respond to issues when passing by. And I'm sure u will be the first to point them out when that happens
the white docs that had protection got infected, wat do you think will happen if nigerian docs with no protective gear now start seeing ebola pts? They like all other nigerians have a right to live too, especially when you are not paid enough for it.
stop whining and do the right thing by directing your anger to the people who havent done wat they should do or else certainly like you really seem to promote or wish, we'll all die at home
I am not saying they should file out and go and fight Ebola without necessarily protection, nah. I only want them to show a little commitment by being available. As little as professional advice from them will go a long way.
Be available that's all we say.
You can then give your conditions for any level of involvement.
Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by Cityguy: 9:32pm On Aug 07, 2014
1234kkkk: Ordinary diagnose they can't do, Chief Gani Fawehenmi was wrongly diagnosed by these dregs Nigerians Doctors of pneumonia and treated for the same ailment at LUTH. After two years ,a London Hospital diagnosed him of cancer. The only thing they can diagnose is increment in call duty allowance, increment in shift allowance, increment in dress allowance and to fight other medical workers as if they are special. After all, they equally patronize India for medical treatment. They should continue with the strike, at least their private hospitals are benefiting from it.
Hahahaha! But you forgot to remember late icon Dora Akunyili was first diagnosed of cancer in Nigeria but was given clean bill in a place of we would like to believe practice 'eldorado medicine'. The rest is history. Nigerian docs give their utmost in spite of the limitations here in terms of sophisticated facilities. I regard all these subversions as unnecessary distractions. It's sad to say but we live in a nation where everybody never own up to anything, points accusing fingers to others as reasons for non-achievement, and with unrivaled sense of 'me, I and myself'. However, we project so much our paranoia that it becomes almost a religious tenet. It's been said long before now that a prophet is usually not valued in his town. Somehow, Nigerians bring this to play vividly esp in the last few weeks gone by.

3 Likes

Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by Cityguy: 9:55pm On Aug 07, 2014
ceaser:

But really it's the case in Nigeria with its odd peculiarities. You fight the government for the good of all, yet the same people you're in the same boat together (disadvantaged masses) take sides with their own enemy against you, meanwhile the same people in government laugh behind them and fly to India with the slightest headache, leaving them to continue the squabbles at their own detriment.

Three days ago when the news rent the air that the female doctor that attended to Sawyer is infected, the response of a ward maid was disheartening. She plainly said that may that ebola kill her and that if the doctor is given 200k qs hazard allowance, that will not be enough to motivate them to see an Ebola case. However she forgot that a hazard allowance of 5k had hitherto not stopped them from risking exposure to worse infections. Funny enough, few moments later, this same maid placed a phone call to a paediatrician to complain about her ill daughter. Funny, ain't it?
Walahi. Nigerian doctors are tooooooo nice. Things are about to change sha. Events like this arise to open your eyes to things you never would have considered. Imagine! Praying for another person to die out of hate. Well, I don't blame most people. Rather than read educative stuffs, we love gossips, want to know whose's dating another among our celebrities and are attracted to bad news than good. So why blame anyone when all we do is load our hearts with disdainful materials. Some even have more life 'online' than in 'real-line', so what makes for a healthy relationship has been replaced by solitary and virtual existence.

1 Like

Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by mamarika: 10:43pm On Aug 07, 2014
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][b][/b]I sincerely pray that God will help this situation,the truth is Nigeria does not have what it takes curb this disease "I mean personnel Απϑ facilities"
The first Nigerian to die of this disease"EBOLA"in Nigeria,A NURSE working with first consultant hospital obalende,lagos happens to be a close friend's Απϑ colleague's Aunty.
ℓ̊ must tell you,forget all these propaganda Απϑ fake hopes we keep getting on the media from the minister of health Απϑ all "they are all fairy tales"
That nurse is an elderly woman,a widow,she has four kids.the first son is on youth service outside Lagos,while the other three lives there with her in Lagos.the woman started having fever on Sunday with her kids in the same housee.they called Their hospital ℓ̊ mean where the nurse works Απϑ they told them τ̅☺ isolate her that WHO persons will come pick her up that they Ƌ̲яε̲̣̣̣̥ suspecting "Ebola"as the female doctor she worked with was already ill Απϑ diagnosed of Ebola.
They came on to her residence Απϑ picked her up with an ambulance,Απϑ on Tuesday night they got a message that the woman was dead.cos that was the first thing ♍Ɣ friend told ♍ε̲̣̣̣̥ on Wednesday morning.
Now the immediate younger brother of this woman, a young ma,married with a wife Απϑ kid ,also had contacts with his late sister plus the 3kids ,ℓ̊ have left out Their neighbours.who may have also had contact too.
The younger brother who had contact with her said that the WHO representatives gave some numbers τ̅☺ get in touch with them after carrying the late nurse, the young man said he has called all the numbers,@least so that himself Απϑ her 3kids will be kept under surveillance as they had contact when she was already manifesting,but № way,all the mumbers Ƌ̲яε̲̣̣̣̥ not available one which is available,№ picking.
As ℓ̊ speak the man Απϑ the 3kids Ƌ̲яε̲̣̣̣̥ lodged in a hotel there in lag (will not mention)the hotel name in a bid τ̅☺ isolate themselves from family members)for @least 30 days as incubation period is 21days Max.this is hotel lodge is never the right thing to do ℓ̊ told ♍Ɣ friend,cos if truly ,they contacted the virus ,then people serving in the hotel arnt safe Απϑ they go home too.but the family soooooo confused more so they havnt gotten the w.h.o representatives on fone !
But we keep hearing all the contacts Ƌ̲яε̲̣̣̣̥ isolated Απϑ under quarantine!!!we Ƌ̲яε̲̣̣̣̥ really in a big mess!ℓ̊ must say ,ℓ̊ pray God helps...only him can.
Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by dumodust(m): 10:51pm On Aug 07, 2014
mployer:
I am not saying they should file out and go and fight Ebola without necessarily protection, nah. I only want them to show a little commitment by being available. As little as professional advice from them will go a long way.
Be available that's all we say.
You can then give your conditions for any level of involvement.
how can you be available when the right conditions for coming to work are not there? Being available without being functional is useless and may even create more public backlash if docs refuse to attend to pts. We all know employers dont care about stuff once they feel you are being paid. The main problem is that without ebola, it has been like that, now ebola is here, that is the more reason for protection against workplace hazards. If that is not done, we may end up amplifying it to epidemic proportions by transferring it between patients and carrying it home. I currently feel, after thinking about it that the strike has paradoxically helped to somewhat contain the spread.
as for the professional advice, the big profs and ogas are on ground giving valuable advice regardless of what u hear in the media about the strike... its the non-reasoning politicians eager to impress the watching international community that want to call us back and endanger us all

2 Likes

Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by chucs: 10:51pm On Aug 07, 2014
mcino:
Not that doctors can't do it but it's simply not doctors' job? So doctors are now trained in pharmaceutics? In the minds of some of you, only doctors are intelligent. I am not in health profession, but I hate arrogance and grandstanding. For your information, many of us refused I study medicine just to avoid being limited, if you understand what I mean. It is not a haven for the extremely intelligent
million likes for this reply.
Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by dumodust(m): 11:08pm On Aug 07, 2014
mcino:
Not that doctors can't do it but it's simply not doctors' job? So doctors are now trained in pharmaceutics? In the minds of some of you, only doctors are intelligent. I am not in health profession, but I hate arrogance and grandstanding. For your information, many of us refused I study medicine just to avoid being limited, if you understand what I mean. It is not a haven for the extremely intelligent
you are the one that is grandstanding and arrogant from your post which reeks of beef... claiming unverifiable intelligence on the net. How will that help with ebola if you cant practice or do what you claim to know which is the problem with paramedicals in nigeria. Doctors are in several fields due to further postgraduate training called residency which includes microbiology which is part of pathology and also therapeutics. We also do medical pharmacology and medical microbiology.yes, we are not pharmaceutical but we are equipped with that global view and help in contributing details that a pharmaceutical laboratory scientist will need to create a formula or drug. A lot of people work with pharmaceutical companies (business entities) and doctors are actively involved.
NOTE- not all doctors are in clinical medicine (business of attending to patients), many are in the labs too doing the needful eg NIMR ETC

3 Likes

Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by GodZilla31: 11:43pm On Aug 07, 2014
mployer:
They are bunch of idiots for wanting to impeach an honest man.
So they want to remain on strike in this critical moment?
Typical African greed.
ignorance at its peak. suddenly they are idiots , treating sick idiots.
Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by ngak: 4:39am On Aug 08, 2014
It would be irresponsible of the Lagos Doctors to resume strike to work with Ebola victims unless they have protective gear and housing which can serve as quarantine for them while battling this. They should not be made to put in a hard days work then go home to their families and expose them to infection. Those tending to the Ebola victims should not be made to see other patients. Otherwise what is seemingly contained can become widely spread
Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by ngak: 4:43am On Aug 08, 2014
I am aware that a number of Drs have gone for training as regards this ebola but have refused to start seeing patients until safety checks protecting them and thier families can be put in place.
Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by ceaser: 5:47am On Aug 08, 2014
mployer: what sense exactly are you making? That staying at home is all the doctors can offer? Stay at home and wait for ebola to come and wipe out you and your family because you have issues with the government? How is that different from suicide. A lot of us are educated but still with little brain. I am not a fan of the government but this issue is beyong government palava. Ebola is not programmed to kill only government officials, everybody is a potential victim. I know the government is not doing the best but doctors has something to contribute as our concerned brothers. They should start by being available first. I mean call off the strike. They are not dealing with the government, they are failing us. We show them much respect in the society, treated them like kings on campus but this is the reward we get. Please take government out of this, the doctors have failed us. In the previous news, they were demanding for special number plate so we can recognise them in an accident scene, of what use is that recognition to us when they are not ready to offer the least of help. It is all about feeding their over-bloated ego and demanding more cash Its a shame and highest point of greed and ignorance. Thank God ebola doesnt know who a doctor is. Lets watch.

dumodust:

Thank you o my brother for your contribution. I already gave up as I don't know how else to politely clarify things for people.
Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by Onegai(f): 6:07am On Aug 08, 2014
mamarika: [font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][b][/b]I sincerely pray that God will help this situation,the truth is Nigeria does not have what it takes curb this disease "I mean personnel Απϑ facilities"
The first Nigerian to die of this disease"EBOLA"in Nigeria,A NURSE working with first consultant hospital obalende,lagos happens to be a close friend's Απϑ colleague's Aunty.
ℓ̊ must tell you,forget all these propaganda Απϑ fake hopes we keep getting on the media from the minister of health Απϑ all "they are all fairy tales"
That nurse is an elderly woman,a widow,she has four kids.the first son is on youth service outside Lagos,while the other three lives there with her in Lagos.the woman started having fever on Sunday with her kids in the same housee.they called Their hospital ℓ̊ mean where the nurse works Απϑ they told them τ̅☺ isolate her that WHO persons will come pick her up that they Ƌ̲яε̲̣̣̣̥ suspecting "Ebola"as the female doctor she worked with was already ill Απϑ diagnosed of Ebola.
They came on to her residence Απϑ picked her up with an ambulance,Απϑ on Tuesday night they got a message that the woman was dead.cos that was the first thing ♍Ɣ friend told ♍ε̲̣̣̣̥ on Wednesday morning.
Now the immediate younger brother of this woman, a young ma,married with a wife Απϑ kid ,also had contacts with his late sister plus the 3kids ,ℓ̊ have left out Their neighbours.who may have also had contact too.
The younger brother who had contact with her said that the WHO representatives gave some numbers τ̅☺ get in touch with them after carrying the late nurse, the young man said he has called all the numbers,@least so that himself Απϑ her 3kids will be kept under surveillance as they had contact when she was already manifesting,but № way,all the mumbers Ƌ̲яε̲̣̣̣̥ not available one which is available,№ picking.
As ℓ̊ speak the man Απϑ the 3kids Ƌ̲яε̲̣̣̣̥ lodged in a hotel there in lag (will not mention)the hotel name in a bid τ̅☺ isolate themselves from family members)for @least 30 days as incubation period is 21days Max.this is hotel lodge is never the right thing to do ℓ̊ told ♍Ɣ friend,cos if truly ,they contacted the virus ,then people serving in the hotel arnt safe Απϑ they go home too.but the family soooooo confused more so they havnt gotten the w.h.o representatives on fone !
But we keep hearing all the contacts Ƌ̲яε̲̣̣̣̥ isolated Απϑ under quarantine!!!we Ƌ̲яε̲̣̣̣̥ really in a big mess!ℓ̊ must say ,ℓ̊ pray God helps...only him can.

Everyone, please stop fighting and focus on this person's report of possible infected people.

Please, send an email to me, with their contact. I'll get the right people on the phone. Let them stay where they are (it would have been better if they had stayed in their home, but DON'T LET THEM LEAVE THE HOTEL. They have to carry their bedsheet and everything they used at the hotel (mattress must be burnt). If money is the issue, once WHO has picked them up, us know. Call 080-EBOLAHELP right now.

2 Likes

Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by ceaser: 6:08am On Aug 08, 2014
mamarika: [font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][b][/b]I sincerely pray that God will help this situation,the truth is Nigeria does not have what it takes curb this disease "I mean personnel Απϑ facilities"
Now this is not good. They're trying to be vigilant enough, trying to be responsible for public health and safety in their own little way. However the govt with the financial resources are nowhere to be found to ensure proper quarantine. 30 days hotel accommodation is no small joke for most Nigerians. So what would've happened if they couldn't afford the money for that lengthy period? I honestly hope they are spared.
Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by Nobody: 7:38am On Aug 08, 2014
You all should see this thread.. Funny things ebola prevention made us do this morning

https://www.nairaland.com/1848046/bath-salt-hot-water-prevent
Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by blaid: 1:41pm On Aug 08, 2014
I thot they said they didn't go on strike because of Ebola virus, this is a shame ! Why are they reneging on their word now, oh now they can see that we no send them again. Pls continue the strike o.
Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by Elythron16zero4: 11:54pm On Aug 08, 2014
padeolu: You dey ma.d, you no get doctor for family? Blame the govt and not the docs, they r only fighting for their rights.

May God save our docs.
which right. NMA no get liver. make una resign eh! instead of using strike to hold FG to ransom. NMA RESIGN LETS SEE IF FG WE COME AND BEG U PPL. I NO GO REACH 1WK WEY ALL UNA POST GO DE OCCUPIED. UNA NO KNO SAY UNEPLOYED DRS PLENTY LIKE SAND. MAKE UNA TRY AND SEE. E LE JO
Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by Elythron16zero4: 12:30am On Aug 09, 2014
dumodust:
how can you be available when the right conditions for coming to work are not there? Being available without being functional is useless and may even create more public backlash if docs refuse to attend to pts. We all know employers dont care about stuff once they feel you are being paid. The main problem is that without ebola, it has been like that, now ebola is here, that is the more reason for protection against workplace hazards. If that is not done, we may end up amplifying it to epidemic proportions by transferring it between patients and carrying it home. I currently feel, after thinking about it that the strike has paradoxically helped to somewhat contain the spread.
as for the professional advice, the big profs and ogas are on ground giving valuable advice regardless of what u hear in the media about the strike... its the non-reasoning politicians eager to impress the watching international community that want to call us back and endanger us all
but wait a minute, i kno some private hospitals are not better equipped than public hospitals yet you dont hear docs saying the right condition to work is not there. they still operate under their ill-equipped private hospitals. i think all this call for better condition of work is actually better pay for work in the midst of plenty pay govt pays u guys which private hosptals cant afford. if u visit some private hospitasl they have one or 2 nurses at most with d CMD becoming jack of all trade. even to employ other docs na wahala 4 them. u ppl should hav a rethink. if the private pays better why are some of u still chasing govt own jobs in govt hosptls? u ppl shud just resign 4m govt pd jobs lets see if d FG will not find a way out. our presido no get action jare
Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by Elythron16zero4: 1:05am On Aug 09, 2014
dumodust:
you are the one that is grandstanding and arrogant from your post which reeks of beef... claiming unverifiable intelligence on the net. How will that help with ebola if you cant practice or do what you claim to know which is the problem with paramedicals in nigeria. Doctors are in several fields due to further postgraduate training called residency which includes microbiology which is part of pathology and also therapeutics. We also do medical pharmacology and medical microbiology.yes, we are not pharmaceutical but we are equipped with that global view and help in contributing details that a pharmaceutical laboratory scientist will need to create a formula or drug. A lot of people work with pharmaceutical companies (business entities) and doctors are actively involved.
NOTE- not all doctors are in clinical medicine (business of attending to patients), many are in the labs too doing the needful eg NIMR ETC
so that borrowed causes u guy offered certifies u guys as experts in those field or better than those who read the course itsef. so if i offerd anatomy, physiology,histology,med bch etc in my formative years as an anatomist, so i can then say i am a doctor? if i hav an Msc in surgery so i can be performing surgery on patients eh? when u docs lay claims of your ability to do others job it's not quackery but when others do claim to do your jobs or do them your start calling them quacks. look, this claims of your ability to do others job when you are not trained to do so must stop. A quack is anyone doing jobs he/she is not trained to do. Even if you do the job of a record keeper/lab scientist when u are not properly trained to do so u are nothing but a quack. your paucity of knowledge in others field does not make u an expert in that field. if you are a doctor and not trained as a pharm/lab sctist no one will address u as such.

2 Likes

Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by dumodust(m): 10:22am On Aug 09, 2014
Elythron16zero4: but wait a minute, i kno some private hospitals are not better equipped than public hospitals yet you dont hear docs saying the right condition to work is not there. they still operate under their ill-equipped private hospitals. i think all this call for better condition of work is actually better pay for work in the midst of plenty pay govt pays u guys which private hosptals cant afford. if u visit some private hospitasl they have one or 2 nurses at most with d CMD becoming jack of all trade. even to employ other docs na wahala 4 them. u ppl should hav a rethink. if the private pays better why are some of u still chasing govt own jobs in govt hosptls? u ppl shud just resign 4m govt pd jobs lets see if d FG will not find a way out. our presido no get action jare

my friend, stop discussing or rambling on about things you have no complete or real info about... we are talking about government doing the right thing and you're here rationalising nonsense. If these private hospitals in those hoods decide to develop the way you want, you cant afford them because they will have to recoup their funds, that's why there's currently an emphasis on universal insurance. Why havent the regulators shut them down? They know they havent done enough.
We as specialists if you are not informed even make more money in private hospitals by consulting for the owners and getting paid for doing surgeries at many times in cost in public hospitals and several times our monthly pay.
the govt hospitals are the last hope for regular people and if there's no insurance, then they must bear the cost and ensure standard care which is their responsibility... simple. Govt hospitals will finally be privatised but there must be funding first in form of insurance.
and for your information... there are not enough doctors and nurses in nigeria, don't go expecting a horde in private hospitals for now
Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by dumodust(m): 10:43am On Aug 09, 2014
Elythron16zero4: so that borrowed causes u guy offered certifies u guys as experts in those field or better than those who read the course itsef. so if i offerd anatomy, physiology,histology,med bch etc in my formative years as an anatomist, so i can then say i am a doctor? if i hav an Msc in surgery so i can be performing surgery on patients eh? when u docs lay claims of your ability to do others job it's not quackery but when others do claim to do your jobs or do them your start calling them quacks. look, this claims of your ability to do others job when you are not trained to do so must stop. A quack is anyone doing jobs he/she is not trained to do. Even if you do the job of a record keeper/lab scientist when u are not properly trained to do so u are nothing but a quack. your paucity of knowledge in others field does not make u an expert in that field. if you are a doctor and not trained as a pharm/lab sctist no one will address u as such.
they are not borrowed courses, they are our courses... thats why the term medical is placed in front... medical biochemistry, physiology, medical microbiology... I dont know about plants or animals but when it comes to humans, I know very well.the intensity and emphasis of our courses are different because our the ultimate aim is to integrate all information in order to see patients, emphasis is clinical. You can learn whatever they teach u in anatomy to impress chicks in your house... no further use for u but as a surgeon or pathologist, its a must know till u die.i'm still reading anatomy up till now.

like I said b4, if you have no real info or knowledge, quit ranting because it doesn't portray u well. An msc course is academic and in no way prepares u for surgery or medicine. Its just like doing msc in public health and claiming u're a community health physician. Surgery is a hands on training, right from undergraduate days till your residency and even as specialists. you read, are taught, see patients and follow them up to surgery and back... medicine is not just a class room or lab course... get your facts right. Residency is a must before you acquire full proficiency in anything (google residency training), I'm not a laboratory person or pathologist, currently my knowledge is enough to explore the possibilities for my patients and come to a diagnosis so that I cant solve problems but if I need expert opinion, I go to one of my own, a pathologist and not a glorified lab technician who was also trained rigorously during residency and doesnt know much in depth surgery as me... division of labour is the term right.
Not one doctor knows all but we have people trained indepth to know in different fields. How is that difficult to understand?
being a record keeper requires no exceptional skill but who exactly is the lab scientist. Sounds rather jack of all trades to me- before all this madness, they were in microbiology, biochem etc... and they want to take over things pathologists have been doing for ages...hahahaha..., what do they know about pts? If u cant work under some direction, please dont talk about pts, u're not licensed to discuss them, just face your bench, produce the numbers snd hand them over for verification. If not satisfied, we will repeat them, ourselves...simple

1 Like

Re: NMA Strike Suspended? by DrLuv: 3:56pm On Aug 09, 2014
sometimes i wonder why spectators make myopic conclusions of the nma vs fg saga.i can not even recall seeing any post by anybody addressing the federal government to implement that which had been signed even before the commencement of the strike..nobody seems to be asking about the fairness and truthfulness of the fg as regards doctors welfare...people just assume out of their limited knowledge that nigerian doctors are this or that....some even end up quoting the physician oath..as if they have a complete idea of what it really entails.well..people assume lots of things about the medical doctors which are far from being true.nigerians,get ur facts straight,your federal government should do that which is right so as to salvage the medical systems in nigeria from imminent chaos and backwardness

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Health Benefits Of Humor And Laughter! » » / Coronavirus: 17 Italians In India Test Positive / 7 Ways To Maintain Weight Loss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.