Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,374 members, 7,819,359 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:52 PM

Ebola: Nigeria Reaches Out To U.S. For Experimental Drug; NMA Sets Up Committee - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Ebola: Nigeria Reaches Out To U.S. For Experimental Drug; NMA Sets Up Committee (29373 Views)

Ebola: Nigerians Blast US FDA For Calling Its Experimental Drug, Pesticide / What If The Experimental Drug Zmapp Turns People To Zombies? / NMA President Resigns!!!!!!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ebola: Nigeria Reaches Out To U.S. For Experimental Drug; NMA Sets Up Committee by Nobody: 1:07pm On Aug 06, 2014
As more people who came in contact with the Patrick Sawyer, the first Ebola fatality in Nigeria begin to show symptoms associated with the virus, the Nigerian government said it has reached out to United States health authorities for access to the experimental drug used to treat two American volunteer doctors who were infected with the disease while treating Ebola patients in Liberia.

The Minister of Health, Onyebuchi Chukwu, told Journalists that Nigeria government is in consultation with the U.S. Centre for Disease Control, CDC, to acquire the “secret serum” used in the treatment of American doctors, Kent Brantly and Nancy Writebol. The experimental “secret Serum” is said to have had an almost immediate effect on the doctors and their health improved considerably.

Though it reportedly proved effective in the treatment of primates, the Americans were the first humans to be treated with the drug known as “ZMapp,” and developed by a San Diego-based biotech firm, Mapp Biopharmaceutical Inc.

“We are in touch with the Americans. Yesterday, I spoke on telephone with the Director of the US Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, Dr Tom Freiden. We spoke at length, and we have exchanged emails. Yesterday, I inaugurated the Treatment Research Group and one of its terms of reference is to collaborate with similar working groups across the world. Now that they have started work, they will get in touch with the Americans and understand what they are doing and whether we have access to similar opportunity,” said Mr Chukwu.

The minister added that he has confidence in the committee of medical and health experts constituted by the government to develop a drug for the treatment of the virus.

“Nobody says that new, fresh ideas cannot come out of Nigeria. We should not underestimate the intelligence of Nigerians. I do not underestimate the intelligence of our professionals, I believe something positive is going to come out.”

Meanwhile, despite being on a five-week long strike, the Nigerian Medical Association, NMA, has set up a committee to combat the spread of thr virus. Speaking at a press conference to sensitise the public of preventive measures against the virus, the Chairman of the Lagos chapter of the NMA, Tope Ojo, said a team of doctors from the state have already volunteered to help patients at the Infectious Disease Hospital, Yaba, Lagos.

“Strike or no strike, we must respond to emergencies. Our doctors are at Mainland Hospital, Yaba, where isolated contacts are being monitored. There are seven committees working on the management of the disease at the centre in Lagos and our members are part of the various committees,” he said.

“When there is disaster outbreak, you find out that there will be response by NMA. The issue of strike will not affect our involvement. The NMA is a responsible body and I can assure you that in as much as we don’t pray for natural disasters, NMA will definitely respond. We worked all through the night trying to find out who should be here or there today. It is not a question of if the hospital is on today we work more than what we have been doing.
“But the committee where we are having challenges getting volunteers is case management. This is the people that work directly with confirmed and suspected cases.

“Look at the protective measures that doctors in Liberia and Guinea wear. They are well protected, yet some of them still caught it. Our doctors are worried about the danger it poses to their lives and they need to be reassured. We understand their fears and we are making moves to confirm the level of preparedness of the government for doctors.”
Mr. Ojo also added that apart from the doctor who is confirmed to have Ebola, a matron at the hospital is also showing symptoms of the virus.

“We know that the infected doctor is stable, however, the matron is now showing symptoms. But everybody including the experts from the World Health Organisation are doing all they can."

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/foreign/166118-%E2%80%8Eebola-nigeria-reaches-out-to-u-s-for-experimental-drug-nma-sets-up-committee.html#sthash.LG24zcS4.dpuf

5 Likes

Re: Ebola: Nigeria Reaches Out To U.S. For Experimental Drug; NMA Sets Up Committee by CharlieMaria(m): 2:35pm On Aug 06, 2014
Pls oo

2 Likes

Re: Ebola: Nigeria Reaches Out To U.S. For Experimental Drug; NMA Sets Up Committee by alaladakosta(f): 2:36pm On Aug 06, 2014
We have more churches than hospital, Nigerian politicians are richer than some state, invest all that money into proper education n research center, libraries n the likes. No!!! They won't . Now they calling on America to come help, sebi we call them for #BringBackOurGirls issue too? When we go get sensible leaders self?

78 Likes

Re: Ebola: Nigeria Reaches Out To U.S. For Experimental Drug; NMA Sets Up Committee by cnwamo(m): 2:36pm On Aug 06, 2014
Wise move by the F.G, I hope the US govt responds well.

1 Like

Re: Ebola: Nigeria Reaches Out To U.S. For Experimental Drug; NMA Sets Up Committee by Afrocatalyst: 2:37pm On Aug 06, 2014
Please America, don't say No.

What can we give to you that you don't have? You have an alternative for oil now, you have intelligence,you have power,you have wealth, you have population, you have land, you have good health system, you have the poor and the rich, you also have pervs and straights. In fact,you have good and bad.

You have it all,there's nothing we can offer you except to bring the ones we've stolen to squander in ur country in the name of America-Africa summit. We also can come and buy houses in ur place,thereby pouring water into an ocean. We also can offer to be ur slave,do all ur dirty works in the name of immigrants as we've been doing since time immemorial. We also can volunteer to give you our best minds so you can use to develop medicines and technology to save our poor a.sses.

We can't say more than... PLEASEE HELP US!!!

Btw.. No more going to Yaba for me. Pls,this isn't child's play,it's a matter of life and death. And I need to stay alive for my kids and also ensure they inherit a safe place. Don't judge me!

19 Likes

Re: Ebola: Nigeria Reaches Out To U.S. For Experimental Drug; NMA Sets Up Committee by Rilwayne001: 2:37pm On Aug 06, 2014
America will know

4 Likes

Re: Ebola: Nigeria Reaches Out To U.S. For Experimental Drug; NMA Sets Up Committee by BrAkingNews: 2:37pm On Aug 06, 2014
good to hear

Photos: Zakari Mohammed, Boko Haram 'chief butcher' still in police custody
>>>> http://www./nigerian-politics-news/photos-zakari-mohammed-boko-haram-chief-butcher-still-police-custody/
Re: Ebola: Nigeria Reaches Out To U.S. For Experimental Drug; NMA Sets Up Committee by dwittyc0der(f): 2:37pm On Aug 06, 2014
space for sale
Re: Ebola: Nigeria Reaches Out To U.S. For Experimental Drug; NMA Sets Up Committee by Nobody: 2:37pm On Aug 06, 2014
Good move!!!
Re: Ebola: Nigeria Reaches Out To U.S. For Experimental Drug; NMA Sets Up Committee by Nobody: 2:37pm On Aug 06, 2014
Waiting to see the comments in this thread. This should be GOOD.

alaladakosta, here is Michael Jackson and his popcorn
[img]http://media./media/ftXvsSyRzKXXG/giphy.gif[/img]

40 Likes

Re: Ebola: Nigeria Reaches Out To U.S. For Experimental Drug; NMA Sets Up Committee by brixton: 2:38pm On Aug 06, 2014
Will they allow us access? A full blown Ebola epidemic in Lagos would put the entire west at risk.
Re: Ebola: Nigeria Reaches Out To U.S. For Experimental Drug; NMA Sets Up Committee by hok4u(f): 2:38pm On Aug 06, 2014
Lord have mercy on us,its becoming a reality.
Re: Ebola: Nigeria Reaches Out To U.S. For Experimental Drug; NMA Sets Up Committee by philtex(m): 2:39pm On Aug 06, 2014
ThanK God..!!!

but When IGBO pEoplE Go Get Sense

1 Like

Re: Ebola: Nigeria Reaches Out To U.S. For Experimental Drug; NMA Sets Up Committee by Charles4075(m): 2:39pm On Aug 06, 2014
May God help us.
Re: Ebola: Nigeria Reaches Out To U.S. For Experimental Drug; NMA Sets Up Committee by dhardline(m): 2:39pm On Aug 06, 2014
Please USA #GIVEUSEBOLASERUM
Re: Ebola: Nigeria Reaches Out To U.S. For Experimental Drug; NMA Sets Up Committee by LilPeezy(m): 2:39pm On Aug 06, 2014
dsonofmaan:

As more people who came in contact with the Patrick Sawyer, the first Ebola fatality in Nigeria begin to show symptoms associated with the virus, the Nigerian government said it has reached out to United States health authorities for access to the experimental drug used to treat two American volunteer doctors who were infected with the disease while treating Ebola patients in Liberia.

The Minister of Health, Onyebuchi Chukwu, told Journalists that Nigeria government is in consultation with the U.S. Centre for Disease Control, CDC, to acquire the “secret serum” used in the treatment of American doctors, Kent Brantly and Nancy Writebol. The experimental “secret Serum” is said to have had an almost immediate effect on the doctors and their health improved considerably.

Though it reportedly proved effective in the treatment of primates, the Americans were the first humans to be treated with the drug known as “ZMapp,” and developed by a San Diego-based biotech firm, Mapp Biopharmaceutical Inc.

“We are in touch with the Americans. Yesterday, I spoke on telephone with the Director of the US Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, Dr Tom Freiden. We spoke at length, and we have exchanged emails. Yesterday, I inaugurated the Treatment Research Group and one of its terms of reference is to collaborate with similar working groups across the world. Now that they have started work, they will get in touch with the Americans and understand what they are doing and whether we have access to similar opportunity,” said Mr Chukwu.

The minister added that he has confidence in the committee of medical and health experts constituted by the government to develop a drug for the treatment of the virus.

“Nobody says that new, fresh ideas cannot come out of Nigeria. We should not underestimate the intelligence of Nigerians. I do not underestimate the intelligence of our professionals, I believe something positive is going to come out.”

Meanwhile, despite being on a five-week long strike, the Nigerian Medical Association, NMA, has set up a committee to combat the spread of thr virus. Speaking at a press conference to sensitise the public of preventive measures against the virus, the Chairman of the Lagos chapter of the NMA, Tope Ojo, said a team of doctors from the state have already volunteered to help patients at the Infectious Disease Hospital, Yaba, Lagos.

“Strike or no strike, we must respond to emergencies. Our doctors are at Mainland Hospital, Yaba, where isolated contacts are being monitored. There are seven committees working on the management of the disease at the centre in Lagos and our members are part of the various committees,” he said.

“When there is disaster outbreak, you find out that there will be response by NMA. The issue of strike will not affect our involvement. The NMA is a responsible body and I can assure you that in as much as we don’t pray for natural disasters, NMA will definitely respond. We worked all through the night trying to find out who should be here or there today. It is not a question of if the hospital is on today we work more than what we have been doing.
“But the committee where we are having challenges getting volunteers is case management. This is the people that work directly with confirmed and suspected cases.

“Look at the protective measures that doctors in Liberia and Guinea wear. They are well protected, yet some of them still caught it. Our doctors are worried about the danger it poses to their lives and they need to be reassured. We understand their fears and we are making moves to confirm the level of preparedness of the government for doctors.”
Mr. Ojo also added that apart from the doctor who is confirmed to have Ebola, a matron at the hospital is also showing symptoms of the virus.

“We know that the infected doctor is stable, however, the matron is now showing symptoms. But everybody including the experts from the World Health Organisation are doing all they can."

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/foreign/166118-%E2%80%8Eebola-nigeria-reaches-out-to-u-s-for-experimental-drug-nma-sets-up-committee.html#sthash.LG24zcS4.dpuf
NICE MOVE

2 Likes

Re: Ebola: Nigeria Reaches Out To U.S. For Experimental Drug; NMA Sets Up Committee by stano2(m): 2:39pm On Aug 06, 2014
there is hope...Thank God Almighty ...i feel sorry 4 those who hav lost their love ones to EVD, may God comfort them (am still shaking Chai!) i hope the West respond soon o ..
Re: Ebola: Nigeria Reaches Out To U.S. For Experimental Drug; NMA Sets Up Committee by kobonaire(m): 2:40pm On Aug 06, 2014
Please now, USA should give Naija (and other concerned countries) this experimental drug quick quick .... of course the patients assumes the risk that is associated with experimental drugs but it at least gives you a fighting chance against this dreaded Ebola!!
Re: Ebola: Nigeria Reaches Out To U.S. For Experimental Drug; NMA Sets Up Committee by moscobabs(m): 2:40pm On Aug 06, 2014
When SARS (Severe acute respiratory syndrome) broke out between November 2002 and July 2003, we saw how the authorities of China and Hong Kong managed the whole situation. They did not blame anybody, they just went to work and were successful in containing it even though it claimed 775 lives and affected over 8,000 people. Their governments funded their local scientists and worked with scientists all over the world. When the bird (avian) influenza also broke out, we saw how the various nations reacted, no one blamed anybody.

When MERS (Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus) broke out in Saudi Arabia affecting Qatar, Malaysia, Egypt, the United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, Oman, Algeria, Bangladesh, the Philippines, the United Kingdom, and the United States, all the various governments worked together to battle the resistant strain and no one blamed anyone until the situation was brought under control. When polio vaccine was brought to Nigeria, Nigerians were blaming the West. When ebola broke out in Nigeria, Nigerians are blaming the West. I think we should also blame the West for our lack of electricity, or what do you think? Since it is the West that has been voting for and electing our leaders since 1999.

Are people not aware of the fact that from the beginning of time, epidemics and pandemics of diseases have always been with us? I just wonder why some people keep saying this is the end times...lol! Diseases and outbreaks have been with humanity right from day one. My hand is paining me, I've been typing since morning, who do you think I should blame?

81 Likes

Re: Ebola: Nigeria Reaches Out To U.S. For Experimental Drug; NMA Sets Up Committee by Nobody: 2:40pm On Aug 06, 2014
Ebola Committee. I called it, didn't I?
Re: Ebola: Nigeria Reaches Out To U.S. For Experimental Drug; NMA Sets Up Committee by hensben(m): 2:41pm On Aug 06, 2014
shey una wey dey talk say who be america, america want to steal from us bla bla bla, shey una eye don clear now

same way they were shouting independence when crude oil was discovered were as, they aiint ripe enough to govern a community not to talk of a country.

GREED LEADS THE PATH TO DESTRUCTION-PHILIP GRAMS

9 Likes

Re: Ebola: Nigeria Reaches Out To U.S. For Experimental Drug; NMA Sets Up Committee by Dreal1247: 2:41pm On Aug 06, 2014
This disease should not spread in Nigeria. We already have Boko Haram, kidnappers, poverty, etc to handle. Ebola is going to be an excess luggage.
Re: Ebola: Nigeria Reaches Out To U.S. For Experimental Drug; NMA Sets Up Committee by princetigris(m): 2:41pm On Aug 06, 2014
Re: Ebola: Nigeria Reaches Out To U.S. For Experimental Drug; NMA Sets Up Committee by compressor(m): 2:41pm On Aug 06, 2014
Abeg they should not give us any serum or drug for Ebola as all infected Liberian and Sierra Leonian will start migrating to Nigeria asap creating more problems for us here in Nigeria.
Bad move in my opinion.
Re: Ebola: Nigeria Reaches Out To U.S. For Experimental Drug; NMA Sets Up Committee by adioolayi(m): 2:41pm On Aug 06, 2014
Well rather late than never....I hope this help. Just want to ask Mr Minister of Health, What proactive measures he has been puting in place since the news of the outbreak of this Virus in neighbouring countries since March?.

3 Likes

Re: Ebola: Nigeria Reaches Out To U.S. For Experimental Drug; NMA Sets Up Committee by Nobody: 2:41pm On Aug 06, 2014
moscobabs: When SARS (Severe acute respiratory syndrome) broke out between November 2002 and July 2003, we saw how the authorities of China and Hong Kong managed the whole situation. They did not blame anybody, they just went to work and were successful in containing it even though it claimed 775 lives and affected over 8,000 people. Their governments funded their local scientists and worked with scientists all over the world. When the bird (avian) influenza also broke out, we saw how the various nations reacted, no one blamed anybody.

When MERS (Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus) broke out in Saudi Arabia affecting Qatar, Malaysia, Egypt, the United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, Oman, Algeria, Bangladesh, the Philippines, the United Kingdom, and the United States, all the various governments worked together to battle the resistant strain and no one blamed anyone until the situation was brought under control. When polio vaccine was brought to Nigeria, Nigerians were blaming the West. When ebola broke out in Nigeria, Nigerians are blaming the West. I think we should also blame the West for our lack of electricity, or what do you think? Since it is the West that has been voting for and electing our leaders since 1999.

Are people not aware of the fact that from the beginning of time, epidemics and pandemics of diseases have always been with us? I just wonder why some people keep saying this is the end times...lol! Diseases and outbreaks have been with humanity right from day one. My hand is paining me, I've been typing since morning, who do you think I should blame?

I was just saying this to my father this morning. It's so embarrassing.

9 Likes

Re: Ebola: Nigeria Reaches Out To U.S. For Experimental Drug; NMA Sets Up Committee by Abimloaded(m): 2:43pm On Aug 06, 2014
Where are the Nigerian PHARMACY Graduates ?

What's the essence of studying Pharmacy if they can't make research to cure for some ailments ?

Must we depend on the foreigners before we can have the cure for ailments ?

What are the Pharmacists into ?

We are only an Independent Country on paper but when it comes to finding a solution to any problem we are facing we are DEPENDENT on the foreign countries.

Boko Haram, we seeked for International help when the Chibok girls were abducted & here we are again seeking for help from the United States.

Its high time we stopped this dependence & prove the useless Independence we claim we have obtained since 1960!!

14 Likes

Re: Ebola: Nigeria Reaches Out To U.S. For Experimental Drug; NMA Sets Up Committee by Nairalane: 2:43pm On Aug 06, 2014
The West and The rest of Us. The world is gradually winding to an end. In this end time, the best solution is just to stick to God. He will provide a Goshen for His people in this evil world. Accept Jesus Today.

4 Likes

Re: Ebola: Nigeria Reaches Out To U.S. For Experimental Drug; NMA Sets Up Committee by Nobody: 2:43pm On Aug 06, 2014
Maurice Iwu's research from 1999 on Ebola was deliberately discontinued by the American university after he made a breakthrough.
Who wants to bet money that they took his work (under their copyright, he has no access to it), completed it and now are taking credit for it. Their govt and pharmaceutical industry will now sell Dr Iwu's work back to Nigeria for millions of dollars and we will thank them for being such Generous White Scientific Geniuses!
I don't even blame them. Na our own uselessness cause am. The world isn't kind to mugus. Had it been Nigeria had provided funding and support through a proper university system for Dr Iwu and his likes, perhaps now it could be Nigeria charging other countries millions (billions?) for a drug developed here.
Instead, we allowed them to use the brain of a Nigerian to make the breakthrough, then they carried out the 'controlled testing' at Kenema hospital in Liberia using hundreds of Africans as worthless guinea pigs, then triumphantly broadcasted to the world that a "secret serum" "stored at subzero temperature" was "flown in from the US".
The pharmaceutical company behind this has already started counting millions as its share price rose 40% on the stock market yesterday alone.
As usual, they have created a problem and manufactured a solution and they are licking their lips as they prepare to sell it to us.
The poor African countries which cant afford it will then be given loans to enable them buy it - loans secured on national assets and resources. And the cycle starts again.
AFRICA, WHEN WILL YOU STOP BEING THE WORLD'S DUNC£?!

31 Likes

Re: Ebola: Nigeria Reaches Out To U.S. For Experimental Drug; NMA Sets Up Committee by 9jahubcom(m): 2:44pm On Aug 06, 2014
gud
Re: Ebola: Nigeria Reaches Out To U.S. For Experimental Drug; NMA Sets Up Committee by jhydebaba(m): 2:45pm On Aug 06, 2014
Begi begi, e no good oh! Buy ur own oh! E go better, better, better.

Reachi reachi, e no good oh! Invent ur own. E go better, better, better.
Re: Ebola: Nigeria Reaches Out To U.S. For Experimental Drug; NMA Sets Up Committee by 9jahubcom(m): 2:45pm On Aug 06, 2014
dwittyc0der: space for sale
i go bomb u oo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

UK Suspends Nigerian Nurse Over Dishonesty, May Strike Name Off Register / Ondo Church Attack: Blood Donors Needed At Federal Medical Centre Owo / Penile Erection Beyond 30 Minutes Is Harmful To Men - Expert

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.