Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,968 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:45 AM

Boko Haram Hoists Flag, Takes Over Gwoza - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Boko Haram Hoists Flag, Takes Over Gwoza (793 Views)

Boko Haram Hoists Flags In Monguno / IT'S REAL: MUBI FALLS! Boko Haram Hoists Flags On Mubi / Bakassi Hoists National Flag, Sets Up Radio Station (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boko Haram Hoists Flag, Takes Over Gwoza by Samueldo(m): 9:38pm On Aug 09, 2014
By NDAHI MARAMA, MAIDUGURI
SuspectedBoko Haram gunmen may have consolidated their capture of Gwoza town in Borno State, after last Wednesday’s attacks on houses, a police station, the local government secretariat complex and the emir’s palace in the town.
This came as Borno State Police Command, yesterday, banned public demonstration anchored on the security situation in the state under emergency rule.
The ban, according to a press statement from the Command’s Public Relations Officer, DSP Gideon Jubrin, followed the attempted demonstration of Gwoza people to the Government House, Maiduguri over the Gwoza attacks.
Hodo Vurho, a resident who fled to Maiduguri, yesterday, said that following the missing of the emir of Gwoza, Alhaji Mohammed Idrissa Timta, during the attack, the Boko Haram black flags had been hoisted at the torched palace and three other locations in the town, including three villages on Bama-Gwoza road.
“When the insurgents struck last Wednesday, some of us fled, while others were shot dead, but I was able to flee by climbing the hill, and then descend to take a footpath that leads to Maiduguri to tell you what is happening in Gwoza,” Vurho said.
“After torching our emir’s palace and several houses, including the council secretariat complex, the insurgents separated women and children, from the male adults by shooting and slaughtering them at sight. In that dangerous situation, we had to flee for safety. Later, one of my neighbours called me to say Gwoza had been taken over by Boko Haram gunmen.”
On whether there were soldiers in Gwoza, Vurho said: “On Wednesday when we were attacked along with the emir, some soldiers fled to take cover along the main road to Mubi and Bama. But the following morning, Thursday, we heard that the gunmen were freely moving with their rifles, along with some women and children, as human shields, in case the soldiers may come to repel the insurgents from Gwoza town.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/08/boko-haram-captures-gwoza-hoists-sects-flag/
Re: Boko Haram Hoists Flag, Takes Over Gwoza by tobillionaire(m): 9:48pm On Aug 09, 2014
God pls do something b4 something do nigeria.... BH, EBOLA God pass d both of u
Re: Boko Haram Hoists Flag, Takes Over Gwoza by Evergreeen123: 9:56pm On Aug 09, 2014
This is a stale news. Gwoza and Damboa are in the complete control of Boko Haram. They are their government over there
Re: Boko Haram Hoists Flag, Takes Over Gwoza by hybridtm(m): 10:03pm On Aug 09, 2014
Nothing for dis country,dey give me joy again

Re: Boko Haram Hoists Flag, Takes Over Gwoza by Samueldo(m): 10:12pm On Aug 09, 2014
Boko seems to be on top of the mater
Re: Boko Haram Hoists Flag, Takes Over Gwoza by Nobody: 10:25pm On Aug 09, 2014
This is clearly no longer guerrilla warfare. The military needs to drop that worn out excuse and explain why it can't uproot and defeat these guys. I mean, they have taken over a whole town and are openly asserting their control over the area. They are not hiding, neither are they lurking in the shadows waiting to launch surprise attacks and disappear again. They are right there in the open, waiting for the military to come and challenge them if they can. That is not my understanding of what guerilla warfare means.

(1) (Reply)

Top 10 Heists And Robberies / The end of Ebola in Nigeria- Sero / Israel-Hamas Sign Long Term Ceasefire. Gaza Blockade To Be Eased.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.