Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,617 members, 7,823,699 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:33 PM

First Fruits Offering - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / First Fruits Offering (1630 Views)

"First-Fruits": Pastors Are Planning A Major Robbery In January / Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? / Churhes That Collect Tithes And First Fruits Are All Thieves (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

First Fruits Offering by vision2050: 1:26pm On Aug 10, 2014
The bible say according to the book of Leviticus 23:9-10 '' And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying, Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When ye be come into the land which I give unto you, and shall reap the harvest thereof, then ye shall bring a sheaf of the First fruits of your harvest unto the priest. So the passage is saying I should package all my earning for the first month of the year go give my Pastor? (E go hard ooo) What is your own take on Firstfruit? Do you believe it in? Mature mind should contribute...
Re: First Fruits Offering by nora544: 1:29pm On Aug 10, 2014
First fruit is not for real christians.

The money loving Pastors from the new churches come out with this and it is only to fill their own pockets.

1 Like

Re: First Fruits Offering by DrummaBoy(m): 1:39pm On Aug 10, 2014
This post below is what I usually supply on the question of first fruits. It reflects my own thoughts on it but it is the post by frosbel I want the OP TO take note of:

bennyraz: For the past 4years now, most pentecostal pastors have been preaching paying first fruit offering which means the first salary or money you earn as to go to the church.. I mean all of it (100%). If you earn 5k per month, you have to pay the 5k into the church by end of January when you are paid. I believe in tithing and offerings, pledges and vows because money is the vehicle of the gospel but I don't believe in first fruit offerings. Though I'm not and I will not condemn those that choose to give theirs, after all its not my money but I think the idea of giving money and expecting big money in return is kind of not too good after all God sees our heart. I want Pastor Tunde Bakare to speak on this and I want fellow nairalanders to share their opinion on this matter

Pastor Tunde Bakare preached a message titled Firstfruits, I believe in 2011. Check the Archive of the church messages and you will find it there (if you don't find it in 2011, check 2010 or 2012). The summary of his message was that Firstfruits was scriptural but that it was not the whole of one's January's salary. It was any financial increase you have. That is: if you were jobless and you get a job; the first salary is your firstfruit and it is to be given to the Pastor (or the Priest). Any other increase you have, should be given as firstfruit. E.g you were earning 150k but had a raise of 180k. The 30k increase is your firstfruit and you should give it. That is Tunde Bakare's opinion.

As of the time I listened to him preach it, I still tithed but had never given a firstfruit. I believed it but never could practice it. Today I no longer tithe and will never give a firstfruit. Why? Because what Bakare taught, even though it is a much milder "firstfruiting" from the one some inisist on which is your salary for January, is what I call the "doctrines of men".

Why do I do so? The reason is that I know of atleast three definition of the firstfuits:

1. Your January Salary

2. Any increase of your finances, like Bakare taught.

3. Firstfruit is your tithe, which my own Pastor in Ibadan taught once.

What does the bible truly teach on Firstfruit; at this point, I will quote a post by frosbel on firstfruit that he made many years ago:

frosbel:

Question: "What was the first fruits offering? Should Christians give a first fruits offering today?"

Answer: Firstfruits was a Jewish feast held in the early spring at the beginning of the grain harvest. It was observed on Nissan 16, which was the third day after Passover and the second day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread. Firstfruits was a time of thanksgiving for God’s provision.

Leviticus 23:9-14 institutes the firstfruits offering. The people were to bring a sheaf of grain to the priest, who would wave it before the Lord. A burnt offering, a meal offering, and a drink offering were also required at that time. Deuteronomy 26:1-10 gives even more detail on the procedure of firstfruits.

No grain was to be harvested at all until the firstfruits offering was brought to the Lord (Leviticus 23:14). The offering was made in remembrance of Israel’s sojourn in Egypt, the Lord’s deliverance from slavery, and their possession of “a land that floweth with milk and honey.” The day of the firstfruits offering was also used to calculate the proper time of the Feast of Weeks (Leviticus 23:15-16).

In the New Testament, the firstfruits offering is mentioned seven times, always symbolically. Paul calls Epaenetus and the household of Stephanas “the firstfruits of Achaia” (Romans 16:5; 1 Corinthians 16:15). His meaning is that, just as the firstfruits offering was the first portion of a larger harvest, these individuals were the first of many converts in that region. James calls believers “a kind of firstfruits of His creatures” (James 1:18). Just like the sheaf of grain was set apart for the Lord, so are believers set apart for God’s glory.

The firstfruits offering found its fulfillment in Jesus. “But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep” (1 Corinthians 15:20). Jesus’ resurrection has paved the way for our resurrection. Significantly, if Jesus was killed at Passover, then His resurrection on the third day would have fallen on Nissan 16—the Feast of Firstfruits.

The firstfruits offering is never directly applied to Christian giving in the New Testament. However, Paul taught the Corinthian believers to set aside a collection “on the first day of the week” (1 Corinthians 16:2). And, just as the offering of firstfruits was an occasion of thanksgiving, so the Christian is to give with gladness.

In summary, firstfruits symbolizes God’s harvest of souls, it illustrates giving to God from a grateful heart, and it sets a pattern of giving back to Him the first (and the best) of what He has given us. Not being under the Old Testament Law, the Christian is under no further obligation than to give cheerfully and liberally (2 Corinthians 9:6-7).

The above for me is the firstfruit for Christians today. Firstfruit is not salary. Firstfruits, like tithes, were never money even in the OT. In the NT though firstfruit were mention, it was only in metaphores and not money or agric products as we had in the OT.

So my dear, save your money for more laudable purposes. You are not obliged to pay a firstfruit, tithe, offering, vow or any such things that modern day ministers demand today in the name of ministry. You are compelled to give only as God leads you and as you see the need in the NT.

www.nairaland.com/1588314/first-fruit-offering-important

3 Likes

Re: First Fruits Offering by vision2050: 1:59pm On Aug 10, 2014
^ so you are saying my salary is not my first fruit? What is my First fruit, is it my service? You say I should give God my first fruit how can I? We give priest our earning the priest give it to God, they say we should bring our money they will help us to give God.
Re: First Fruits Offering by nora544: 2:05pm On Aug 10, 2014
vision2050: ^ so you are saying my salary is not my first fruit? What is my First fruit, is it my service? You say I should give God my first fruit how can I? We give priest our earning the priest give it to God, they say we should bring our money they will help us to give God.

Ask your pastor how he will give it to God!
Re: First Fruits Offering by vision2050: 2:11pm On Aug 10, 2014
nora544:

Ask your pastor how he will give it to God!

is not my business
Re: First Fruits Offering by DrummaBoy(m): 2:44pm On Aug 10, 2014
vision2050: ^ so you are saying my salary is not my first fruit? What is my First fruit, is it my service? You say I should give God my first fruit how can I? We give priest our earning the priest give it to God, they say we should bring our money they will help us to give God.

I think you should read the text I supplied again. It describes first fruits in the Old Testament and talks about what it has become in the NT.

None of them was anyone income or salary.

None of them was tithes. First fruits were never tithes.

The OT first fruit is well defined in those scriptures provided.

Jesus Christ has become the firstfruit from the dead in the NT. That way he fulfilled that obligation so Christian need not pay a first fruit. Just as he fulfilled all the law of Moses.

But if you must pay a first fruit, then you should pay it correctly. Your first fruit is your first harvest. Just as your tithe a tenth of your agricultural products. Both of which should be given to a Levite not a Pastor.

I welcome any further question.
Re: First Fruits Offering by vision2050: 11:31am On Aug 11, 2014
DrummaBoy:

I think you should read the text I supplied again. It describes first fruits in the Old Testament and talks about what it has become in the NT.

None of them was anyone income or salary.

None of them was tithes. First fruits were never tithes.

The OT first fruit is well defined in those scriptures provided.

Jesus Christ has become the firstfruit from the dead in the NT. That way he fulfilled that obligation so Christian need not pay a first fruit. Just as he fulfilled all the law of Moses.

But if you must pay a first fruit, then you should pay it correctly. Your first fruit is your first harvest. Just as your tithe a tenth of your agricultural products. Both of which should be given to a Levite not a Pastor.

I welcome any further question.
. Lev 23:10 say we should give it to priest not levite 2. I earn salary how could I pay my first fruit? because u said none of them pay it as come or salary. Or first fruit is meant for farmers alone?
Re: First Fruits Offering by PastorKun(m): 12:06pm On Aug 11, 2014
vision2050: . Lev 23:10 say we should give it to priest not levite 2. I earn salary how could I pay my first fruit? because u said none of them pay it as come or salary. Or first fruit is meant for farmers alone?

Since you don't produce any agric product and you are not under the Jewish law, the first fruit doctrine does not apply to you.

1 Like

Re: First Fruits Offering by DrummaBoy(m): 12:58pm On Aug 11, 2014
PastorKun:
Since you don't produce any agric product and you are not under the Jewish law, the first fruit doctrine does not apply to you.
vision2050: . Lev 23:10 say we should give it to priest not levite 2. I earn salary how could I pay my first fruit? because u said none of them pay it as come or salary. Or first fruit is meant for farmers alone?

Just as Pastor Kun has said, you are not obligated to give a firstfruit any longer.

This is the only condition for which you could give a firstfruit:

#You were born a Jew in ancient Israel before Jesus coming

#You were a farmer in that time and had harvested your first set of crops as indicated in Leviticus 23.

Even a born again Jew living in present Israel need not give firstfruits as Christ's death has a abolished all the laws of Moses - Romans 10:4.

Other ceremonial laws abrogated and no longer binding on Christians are:

Sabbath

Tithing

Circumcision

Religious Feasts observance like New Moon, Pentecost's, etc.

And all 613 laws of Moses.

Now what do you do with this salary of your? My recommendation:

Go to KFC and grab a good meal. Spoil yourself. lol. Get some nice clothing; look good. Just kidding...

Let God lead you on how to spend your money. Period.

Some worthwhile recommendations:

Some individual hand over their first salaries to their parents to honor them and to say thank you. I didn't do this. But if I have such opportunity, I do not think its a bad idea.

Put aside a savings and make it regular.

Plan a regular financial regime for each month and endeavor to follow it.

Set aside a portion to support a Christian ministry like church, orphanage, missionary endeavors, etc.

Bless your siblings.

Permit God to lead you in your spending.

There is a close relation BTW spirituality and spending money. A regime of tithing and firstfruit encourage religion. Allowing Gods Spirit to teach you how to spend money, leads to greater spiritual sensitivity.

My take.

3 Likes

Re: First Fruits Offering by pegmatite(f): 4:03pm On Aug 11, 2014
Thez dayz some *ccultic m.o.g. are referring to yr 1st born!
*Shine yr eyez*
Re: First Fruits Offering by vision2050: 8:25pm On Aug 11, 2014
DrummaBoy:

Just as Pastor Kun has said, you are not obligated to give a firstfruit any longer.

This is the only condition for which you could give a firstfruit:

#You were born a Jew in ancient Israel before Jesus coming

#You were a farmer in that time and had harvested your first set of crops as indicated in Leviticus 23.

Even a born again Jew living in present Israel need not give firstfruits as Christ's death has a abolished all the laws of Moses - Romans 10:4.

Sabbath

Tithing

Circumcision

Religious Feasts observance like New Moon, Pentecost's, etc.

Now what do you do with this salary of your? My recommendation:

Go to KFC and grab a good meal. Spoil yourself. lol. Get some nice clothing; look good. Just kidding...

Let God lead you on how to spend your money. Period.

Some worthwhile recommendations:

Some individual hand over their first salaries to their parents to honor them and to say thank you. I didn't do this. But if I have such opportunity, I do not think its a bad idea.

Put aside a savings and make it regular.

Plan a regular financial regime for each month and endeavor to follow it.

Set aside a portion to support a Christian ministry like church, orphanage, missionary endeavors, etc.

Bless your siblings.

Permit God to lead you in your spending.

There is a close relation BTW spirituality and spending money. A regime of tithing and firstfruit encourage religion. Allowing Gods Spirit to teach you how to spend money, leads to greater spiritual sensitivity.

My take.
Thank you. not a verse in New testament say something about giving First fruits firstfruits" is used in
the New Testament, it does not refer to giving, whether
to the Temple or the church. It acts as a metaphor to
mean those who experience God's blessing first or in a
special way. why the pastor preach the law of Moses when Jesus have Fulfilled Rom 10:4. I tired ooo

2 Likes

Re: First Fruits Offering by DrummaBoy(m): 8:46pm On Aug 11, 2014
vision2050: Thank you. not a verse in New testament say something about giving First fruits firstfruits" is used in
the New Testament, it does not refer to giving, whether
to the Temple or the church. It acts as a metaphor to
mean those who experience God's blessing first or in a
special way. why the pastor preach the law of Moses when Jesus have Fulfilled Rom 10:4. I tired ooo

You are welcome.

STAND FAST NOW IN THE LIBERTY WHEREWITH CHRIST HATH MADE THEE FREE AND DO NOT BE ENTANGLED WITH THE YOKE OF BONDAGE - Galatians 5:1

2 Likes

Re: First Fruits Offering by vision2050: 11:24pm On Aug 11, 2014
thanks @Drumaboy. I will like more people to contribute I'm ready to learn
Re: First Fruits Offering by JesusisLord85: 12:02am On Aug 12, 2014
vision2050: The bible say according to the book of Leviticus 23:9-10 '' And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying, Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When ye be come into the land which I give unto you, and shall reap the harvest thereof, then ye shall bring a sheaf of the First fruits of your harvest unto the priest. So the passage is saying I should package all my earning for the first month of the year go give my Pastor? (E go hard ooo) What is your own take on Firstfruit? Do you believe it in? Mature mind should contribute...

Lol. Art thou a farmer? Where did you see money there?
Where di you see pastor?

You are not a farmer, most likely. And, unfortunately, the Priesthood belongs to Yahshua now. You shall bring his offerings for sacrifices when he returns. THAT is for sure.

Shalom
Re: First Fruits Offering by JesusisLord85: 12:06am On Aug 12, 2014
DrummaBoy:

You are welcome.

STAND FAST NOW IN THE LIBERTY WHEREWITH CHRIST HATH MADE THEE FREE AND DO NOT BE ENTANGLED WITH THE YOKE OF BONDAGE - Galatians 5:1

I agree he does not need to give first fruits.

BUT your quote can be interpreted to mean this:

"Christ came. Therefore, every law written in the law and the prophets is bondage."

I hope you understand this is tantamount to blasphemy. Did the Most High not give the command?

This is why I say christians read the bible and see contradiction and confusion. They cook interpretations here and there.
By your reasoning, we should all grab idols of Mary and worship it, God won't mind since Jesus came, lol.

You are not the only one, 99% of you are still asleep.

Pele

1 Like

Re: First Fruits Offering by JesusisLord85: 12:10am On Aug 12, 2014
DrummaBoy:

grin
Father have mercy upon this ammonite.

I guess boko haram are within their rights to kill. Well done. Olodo buruku
Re: First Fruits Offering by Joel3(m): 12:20am On Aug 12, 2014
Haha giving money to a God.. Can a man give a God money? Can a man feed a God? can a man help a God?

If man can do all this things and a God seek for all this things then who is now the God.?

Firstfruit Is simply a cultural tradition of the jews, every tradition has it kind for it. Firstfruit is simply for farmers who harvest their grains to help and give to a needy God.

Your pastor is eating the money you where suppose to give to a needy God. And he is laughing at you.

A God who create crops and human doesn't need anything from a human. Is high time people understand this fact. how can you give money to a creator?

The people who make themselves God, the Fact they are God but not the Creator.

God is an idea and any body can make his own God. I will soon make my own.

(1) (Reply)

Ways Bible Can Make You Run Mad / A Believer Having Fun On Her Birthday / PHOTO :goliath's Skull Found In Holy Land

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.