Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,737 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:39 PM

Why Do People Focus More On Sin Than On Righteousness - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do People Focus More On Sin Than On Righteousness (1650 Views)

12 Signs Of Self-righteousness And Pharisee-ism Among Christians Today / The Bible Enlightenment On Righteousness / The Doctrine Of Imputed Righteousness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do People Focus More On Sin Than On Righteousness by jdilight(m): 1:07pm On Sep 12, 2014
Everywhere I turn, it is either this sin or that sin that is being discussed. Are people so sin conscious that they have nothing to do with righteousness or that they no nothing about righteousness itself?
Re: Why Do People Focus More On Sin Than On Righteousness by emmyskies(m): 1:12pm On Sep 12, 2014
Avoiding sin is what makes you righteous. If you don't know sin, how then can you know it is not a right thing to do?

Sin are what GOD hates and doesn't want us to do. Knowing sin and not doing them, rather doing what GOD wants is righteousness -doing what is right in the sight of GOD
Re: Why Do People Focus More On Sin Than On Righteousness by jdilight(m): 1:20pm On Sep 12, 2014
emmyskies: Avoiding sin is what makes you righteous. If you don't know sin, how then can you know it is not a right thing to do?

Sin are what GOD hates and doesn't want us to do. Knowing sin and not doing them, rather doing what GOD wants is righteousness -doing what is right in the sight of GOD

No avoiding sin cannot make you righteous, it is being righteous that make you avoid sin. This is what people don't know, they keep struggling with sin. Christianity is struggle free.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do People Focus More On Sin Than On Righteousness by makazona(m): 1:24pm On Sep 12, 2014
my kind of thread...and not nude this nude that....kari go biko

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Focus More On Sin Than On Righteousness by emmyskies(m): 1:25pm On Sep 12, 2014
jdilight:

No avoiding sin cannot make you righteous, it is being righteous that make you avoid sin. This is what people don't know, they keep struggling with sin. Christianity is struggle free.
How do you define 'struggle'? What is your definition of 'struggle'?

Keep these scriptures in mind:
"Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." (Matthew 11:29-30)

"Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. " (Luke 13:24)
Re: Why Do People Focus More On Sin Than On Righteousness by plaetton: 1:38pm On Sep 12, 2014
emmyskies: Avoiding sin is what makes you righteous. If you don't know sin, how then can you know it is not a right thing to do?

Nonsense.

The real reason is that, like Jesus supposedly said, it is much easier to see the speck in another person's eye than to remove the log in one's own eye.

Religion faith is anchored on many pretenses.
One of such pretenses is avoiding dealing with one's own failings by focusing on the failings of others.

The Abrahamic religions, Christianity and Islam, define themselves soley on what they are against, rather than what they are for.
That is why these religions tend to breed antagonism and disharmony within themselves and with others rather than foster peace and harmony.
So, as long we are still human, religion will always be about pretense and fraud.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Focus More On Sin Than On Righteousness by emmyskies(m): 1:44pm On Sep 12, 2014
plaetton:

Nonsense.

The real reason is that, like Jesus supposedly said, it is much easier to see the speck in another person's eye than to remove the log in one's own eye.

One of such pretenses is avoiding dealing with one's own failings by focusing on the failings of others.

The Abrahamic religions, Christianity and Islam, define themselves soley on what they are against, rather than what they are for.
That is why these religions tend to breed antagonism and disharmony within themselves and with others rather than foster peace and harmony.
So, as long we are still human, religion will always be about pretense and fraud.

There is a way that seemeth right unto a man, the way seem so right, not unto GOD but unto man, unto man it seems right, unto man, mere dust, but the end thereof is destruction.

For GOD so love the world, He so love you and I Plaetton, that He gave His only begotten son, His well beloved son in whom He is well pleased, that whosoever believe in Him, be you white or black, be you rich or poor, be you rich in wisdom or not, should not perish, but have everlasting life, where he will reign with the King above every other king and the LORD above every other lords forever in eternity in joy and happiness

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Focus More On Sin Than On Righteousness by mployer(m): 1:52pm On Sep 12, 2014
plaetton:

Nonsense.

wrong.

Christianity is about what we are for not what we are against.

Its about the salvation that is in Christ Jesus.
Re: Why Do People Focus More On Sin Than On Righteousness by plaetton: 2:49pm On Sep 12, 2014
emmyskies:

There is a way that seemeth right unto a man, the way seem so right, not unto GOD but unto man, unto man it seems right, unto man, mere dust, but the end thereof is destruction.

For GOD so love the world, He so love you and I Plaetton, that He gave His only begotten son, His well beloved son in whom He is well pleased, that whosoever believe in Him, be you white or black, be you rich or poor, be you rich in wisdom or not, should not perish, but have everlasting life, where he will reign with the King above every other king and the LORD above every other glords forever in eternity in joy and happiness

Let me ask you what I have been asking others.
Do you, an African consumer of this religious product, feel that you are somehow smarter or gifted with a special insight that the world's Jewish population do not have and have not had for the past 2000yrs?
Considering that are the original fabricators of this product, don't you think that you are the dumb one for buying what they have described as a fake product?

Pls think about this. For you to be right about Jesus, the Jews have to be wrong, wrong for 2000yrs.
I find it hard to figure how an African, whose ancestors were physically and mentally enslaved by bogeymen carrying the bible, miraculously thinks that he knows better about Hebrew myths than the Jews who fabricated the myths themselves.
I think joke is on any African who calls himself a Christian.
Re: Why Do People Focus More On Sin Than On Righteousness by emmyskies(m): 2:52pm On Sep 12, 2014
plaetton:

Let me ask you what I have been asking others.
Do you, an African consumer of this religious product, feel that you are somehow smarter or gifted with a special insight that the world's Jewish population do not have and have not had for the past 2000yrs?
Considering that are the original fabricators of this product, don't you think that you are the dumb one for buying what they have described as a fake product?

Pls think about this. For you to be right about Jesus, the Jews have to be wrong, wrong for 2000yrs.
I find it hard to figure how an African, whose ancestors were physically and mentally enslaved by bogeymen carrying the bible, miraculously thinks that he knows better about Hebrew myths than the Jews who fabricated the myths themselves.
I think joke is on any African who calls himself a Christian.
Yeah, joke you call it. On the last day, the sheep will be seperated from the goat

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Focus More On Sin Than On Righteousness by plaetton: 3:01pm On Sep 12, 2014
emmyskies:
Yeah, joke you call it. On the last day, the sheep will be seperated from the goat

This is exactly what I am talking about.

How dumb does one need to be not figure out that an after death reward is a classical 419.

Can you engage in a business transaction that promises you big profits only after you are dead?

The joke is on you. You are the bag holder.
Lol and pity.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Focus More On Sin Than On Righteousness by udatso: 4:04pm On Sep 12, 2014
jdilight:

I don't know where you totally gave a different meaning to righteousness ooo. But English people wey get the language tell us say

righteousness - adhering to moral principles
impeccability - the quality of being exempt from
sin or incapable of sinning
rectitude , uprightness - righteousness as a
consequence of being honorable and honest
piety, piousness - righteousness by virtue of being
pious
morality - concern with the distinction between
good and evil or right and wrong; right or good
conduct
justice , justness - the quality of being just or fair
honorableness , honourableness - the quality of
deserving honor or respect; characterized by
honor
honor, honour - the quality of being honorable and
having a good name; "a man of honor"
honestness , honesty - the quality of being honest
unrighteousness - failure to adhere to moral
principles; "forgave us our sins and cleansed us
of all unrighteousness"
From this it's obvious when you sin, you are unrighteous but when you don't you are righteous. Of course we can't be 100% righteous but that doesn't stop us from trying to be. So my dear the as long as you sin, you can't claim to be righteous. So before righteousness, the talk of sin comes

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Focus More On Sin Than On Righteousness by udatso: 4:08pm On Sep 12, 2014
jdilight:

The struggle free doesn't always mean it's the right way.
Re: Why Do People Focus More On Sin Than On Righteousness by jdilight(m): 4:26pm On Sep 12, 2014
emmyskies:
How do you define 'struggle'? What is your definition of 'struggle'?

Keep these scriptures in mind:
"Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." (Matthew 11:29-30)

"Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. " (Luke 13:24)

I am as objective as anyone who is real should be. I struggle to enter the that gate or to take the yoke as you wish to call it and I couldn't. I left the path because, I hate pretense any day. But when it pleased God Himself to teach me his ways, He expanded His word to me on how to live right (righteous). He knew if He didn't teach me I will have nothing to do with Him or the church though I was born in the church and raised in the church.

Christ yoke brother is not hard as you are trying to make it seem it is light.

While many strive to enter the gate and fail is because they don't know what it take to enter the gate, the gate is always open and few go in so no traffic at the gate.

Christianity to 99% christian is a struggle, believe it or not. In fact many are frustrated with it and I was too.
Re: Why Do People Focus More On Sin Than On Righteousness by jdilight(m): 4:31pm On Sep 12, 2014
udatso:
I don't know where you totally gave a different meaning to righteousness ooo. But English people wey get the language tell us say

righteousness - adhering to moral principles
impeccability - the quality of being exempt from
sin or incapable of sinning
rectitude , uprightness - righteousness as a
consequence of being honorable and honest
piety, piousness - righteousness by virtue of being
pious
morality - concern with the distinction between
good and evil or right and wrong; right or good
conduct
justice , justness - the quality of being just or fair
honorableness , honourableness - the quality of
deserving honor or respect; characterized by
honor
honor, honour - the quality of being honorable and
having a good name; "a man of honor"
honestness , honesty - the quality of being honest
unrighteousness - failure to adhere to moral
principles; "forgave us our sins and cleansed us
of all unrighteousness"
From this it's obvious when you sin, you are unrighteous but when you don't you are righteous. Of course we can't be 100% righteous but that doesn't stop us from trying to be. So my dear the as long as you sin, you can't claim to be righteous. So before righteousness, the talk of sin comes

Thank you, your definition of righteousness is correct. Can you tell me why we sin or become immoral?
Re: Why Do People Focus More On Sin Than On Righteousness by udatso: 4:42pm On Sep 12, 2014
jdilight:

Thank you, your definition of righteousness is correct. Can you tell me why we sin or become immoral?
When we deviate from the commandments of God, we sin.
Re: Why Do People Focus More On Sin Than On Righteousness by emmyskies(m): 4:44pm On Sep 12, 2014
jdilight:

I am as objective as anyone who is real should be. I struggle to enter the that gate or to take the yoke as you wish to call it and I couldn't. I left the path because, I hate pretense any day. But when it pleased God Himself to teach me his ways, He expanded His word to me on how to live right (righteous). He knew if He didn't teach me I will have nothing to do with Him or the church though I was born in the church and raised in the church.

Christ yoke brother is not hard as you are trying to make it seem it is light.

While many strive to enter the gate and fail is because they don't know what it take to enter the gate, the gate is always open and few go in so no traffic at the gate.

Christianity to 99% christian is a struggle, believe it or not. In fact many are frustrated with it and I was too.

Hmmm, quite interesting.

You stated it yourself that many don't know what it takes to enter in through at the gate. For many are called but few are chosen. What would make the few to be chosen over the many?
Re: Why Do People Focus More On Sin Than On Righteousness by jdilight(m): 5:01pm On Sep 12, 2014
emmyskies:

Hmmm, quite interesting.

You stated it yourself that many don't know what it takes to enter in through at the gate. For many are called but few are chosen. What would make the few to be chosen over the many?

This is the question that hold the key to many destiny and liberation. What makes the few to be chosen over the many? It is only the vessel (of gold, earth, etc it doesn't matter) that sanctifies itself that will be ok for the masters use (2 Timothy 2:21-22). The sanctification is done by the vessel, not by an outsider.

The know how of how to be clean and remain clean is the truth that we need to be set free from the power of the law. We all know that it is hard to keep the law. Forget those who are pretending. It is hard to keep the law. But if we know how the law of the spirit works, we will easily keep the law of the flesh without trying to. That is what I mean by no struggle.
Re: Why Do People Focus More On Sin Than On Righteousness by jdilight(m): 5:04pm On Sep 12, 2014
udatso:
When we deviate from the commandments of God, we sin.

No that is not why we sin, what you say it sin itself. We sin because we have the seed of sin in us. The seed of sin must produce sin, nothing can stop it. If we have the seed of righteousness in us, it will produce righteousness.
Re: Why Do People Focus More On Sin Than On Righteousness by udatso: 5:09pm On Sep 12, 2014
jdilight:

No that is not why we sin, what you say it sin itself. We sin because we have the seed of sin in us. The seed of sin must produce sin, nothing can stop it. If we have the seed of righteousness in us, it will produce righteousness.

What is the seed of sin in us?
Re: Why Do People Focus More On Sin Than On Righteousness by emmyskies(m): 5:24pm On Sep 12, 2014
jdilight:

This is the question that hold the key to many destiny and liberation. What makes the few to be chosen over the many? It is only the vessel (of gold, earth, etc it doesn't matter) that sanctifies itself that will be ok for the masters use (2 Timothy 2:21-22). The sanctification is done by the vessel, not by an outsider.

The know how of how to be clean and remain clean is the truth that we need to be set free from the power of the law. We all know that it is hard to keep the law. Forget those who are pretending. It is hard to keep the law. But if we know how the law of the spirit works, we will easily keep the law of the flesh without trying to. That is what I mean by no struggle.

Now you are talking. Who then can be saved left for us alone? The disciple asked this question two thousand years ago. The question still lives till this day, WHO THEN CAN BE SAVED??The word of have already confirmed to us, with GOD it is possible.

It is through the spirit we attain righteousness unto holiness, coz without holiness, no man will see GOD
Re: Why Do People Focus More On Sin Than On Righteousness by emmyskies(m): 5:27pm On Sep 12, 2014
jdilight:

He is correct. Sin is deviation from GOD's commandment
Re: Why Do People Focus More On Sin Than On Righteousness by jdilight(m): 5:41pm On Sep 12, 2014
udatso:

What is the seed of sin in us?

The sinful things we see or hear are seed of sin planted in out heart, but the have no power to corrupt us without our helping them that is the point. The tragedy is that we don't know how we are assisting these seeds, if we know, we will channel our energy to assisting the seed of righteousness to grow and bear fruit in us. When the seed becomes a tree, it becomes hard to do away with.
Re: Why Do People Focus More On Sin Than On Righteousness by jdilight(m): 5:42pm On Sep 12, 2014
emmyskies:

Now you are talking. Who then can be saved left for us alone? The disciple asked this question two thousand years ago. The question still lives till this day, WHO THEN CAN BE SAVED??The word of have already confirmed to us, with GOD it is possible.

It is through the spirit we attain righteousness unto holiness, coz without holiness, no man will see GOD

Your right, but how do we make the spirit help us attain righteousness?
Re: Why Do People Focus More On Sin Than On Righteousness by udatso: 5:52pm On Sep 12, 2014
jdilight:

The sinful things we see or hear are seed of sin planted in out heart, but the have no power to corrupt us without our helping them that is the point. The tragedy is that we don't know how we are assisting these seeds, if we know, we will channel our energy to assisting the seed of righteousness to grow and bear fruit in us. When the seed becomes a tree, it becomes hard to do away with.
Has your seed grown to a tree?
Re: Why Do People Focus More On Sin Than On Righteousness by jdilight(m): 6:13pm On Sep 12, 2014
udatso:
Has your seed grown to a tree?

Hahahahaha, it look simple but this is a mystery that if you discover it you will be on your way heaven. Try studying the parable of the sower. Seek for revelation on what Jesus said after the parable of the sower also. "Take heed on what you hear, for he that has will be given more, but he that has not even that which he has will be taken away"
Re: Why Do People Focus More On Sin Than On Righteousness by udatso: 6:40pm On Sep 12, 2014
jdilight:

Hahahahaha, it look simple but this is a mystery that if you discover it you will be on your way heaven. Try studying the parable of the sower. Seek for revelation on what Jesus said after the parable of the sower also. "Take heed on what you hear, for he that has will be given more, but he that has not even that which he has will be taken away"
We don't share same faith, so I don't think getting really deep in this is a good idea. I believe no matter how the seed of righteousness grows to become a tree and bear fruit in us, at the end of the day, we are still humans, we don't grow into angels which means we can still sin deliberately or indeliberately
Re: Why Do People Focus More On Sin Than On Righteousness by Nobody: 8:22pm On Sep 12, 2014
jdilight: Everywhere I turn, it is either this sin or that sin that is being discussed. Are people so sin conscious that they have nothing to do with righteousness or that they no nothing about righteousness itself?

the irony is that religion is pretty much man made, so mankind has really brought this onto themselves. religion is designed to focus the people's attention and energy on an uncompromising, invisible god who allegedly created human race just for his self glory and unnecessary crave for worship, then supposedly foisted a set of oppressive and in some cases arbitrary rules on them, which if broken would be met with unimaginable eternal punishment. this keeps the followers in a continuing state of fear and compliance.
Re: Why Do People Focus More On Sin Than On Righteousness by jdilight(m): 9:54am On Sep 13, 2014
udatso:
We don't share same faith, so I don't think getting really deep in this is a good idea. I believe no matter how the seed of righteousness grows to become a tree and bear fruit in us, at the end of the day, we are still humans, we don't grow into angels which means we can still sin deliberately or indeliberately

Alright if that is your view, but do you think God believe man can be perfect? Also do you think Jesus was not human?
Re: Why Do People Focus More On Sin Than On Righteousness by jdilight(m): 9:55am On Sep 13, 2014
Scyllapatron:

the irony is that religion is pretty much man made, so mankind has really brought this onto themselves. religion is designed to focus the people's attention and energy on an uncompromising, invisible god who allegedly created human race just for his self glory and unnecessary crave for worship, then supposedly foisted a set of oppressive and in some cases arbitrary rules on them, which if broken would be met with unimaginable eternal punishment. this keeps the followers in a continuing state of fear and compliance.

I beg to disagree, God don't crave for worship. He just want man to experience a higher level of being.
Re: Why Do People Focus More On Sin Than On Righteousness by udatso: 10:27am On Sep 13, 2014
jdilight:

Alright if that is your view, but do you think God believe man can be perfect? Also do you think Jesus was not human?
God knows we can't be perfect that is why in His mercy he will reward the ones who were righteous or pious.

Jesus was human. He was a man amongst us just as part of the Bible described him. He was one of the mightiest messenger or prophet of God.
Re: Why Do People Focus More On Sin Than On Righteousness by jdilight(m): 11:01am On Sep 13, 2014
udatso:
God knows we can't be perfect that is why in His mercy he will reward the ones who were righteous or pious.

Jesus was human. He was a man amongst us just as part of the Bible described him. He was one of the mightiest messenger or prophet of God.

If God know we can not be perfect while did He say be ye perfect even as your father in heaven is perfect. What do you make of this?

God has no mighty messenger. A child of God is a child of God.

(1) (2) (Reply)

As A Christian, Can U Remarry When Your Ex Spouse Is Still Alive? / The Bible Is Fiction: A Collection Of Evidence. / Fear Of Atheists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.