Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,815 members, 7,820,877 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:25 AM

Should The Name Nigeria Be Changed? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should The Name Nigeria Be Changed? (708 Views)

Changing The Name Nigeria / Flora Shaw (lord Lugard's Wife) Didn't Coin The Name Nigeria. / Wikileaks To Name Nigeria’s Treasury Looters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should The Name Nigeria Be Changed? by dmxqo(m): 12:53am On Oct 20, 2008
last week in school, my lecturer suggested that the name NIGERIA should be changed.
it shocked me a little, because i have never thought of that before.
he gave several reasons; including its origin & d circumstance with which d name was given.
i began wondering if others think same.
Re: Should The Name Nigeria Be Changed? by deor03(m): 1:06am On Oct 20, 2008
The problem with Nigeria is not in the name. The problem is the people. If the name is changes now , will that stop corruption, will that stop tribalism. Afterall NEPA changed to PHCN

It all this Nigerian thing of looking for something to blame. The name of the country is not the problem, the british  are not the problem, the oil is not the problem, .
The problem is the people
Re: Should The Name Nigeria Be Changed? by Nobody: 6:15pm On Oct 20, 2008
Its a pity how dumb nigerian lecturers have become. . . . . . its even more pitiful that they are able to convince adults that nigeria's problems were caused by the name.

Shame!!!
Re: Should The Name Nigeria Be Changed? by dayokanu(m): 7:14pm On Oct 20, 2008
Which school is that?
What is your lecturers qualification? For him to think that the name is the problem, I am sorry for you his students
Re: Should The Name Nigeria Be Changed? by OBVIOUS(m): 8:03pm On Oct 20, 2008
Yes, Nigeria's name should be changed. I think that such change will be symbolic.
Re: Should The Name Nigeria Be Changed? by bawomolo(m): 2:10am On Oct 21, 2008
congo was renamed zaire, that sure did help.
Re: Should The Name Nigeria Be Changed? by faoni572(m): 8:10am On Oct 21, 2008
bawomolo:

congo was renamed zaire, that sure did help.

If it worked in Congo I don't think it will work well in Nigeria, many things that work well in other countries when you bring it down to Nigeria it will take awkward shape.
Re: Should The Name Nigeria Be Changed? by Seun(m): 8:13am On Oct 21, 2008
bawomolo was being sarcastic. The name change did not help; the country went into civil war.
Re: Should The Name Nigeria Be Changed? by landis(m): 10:28am On Oct 21, 2008
actually the name Nigeria though means 'River Niger Area' is actually insulting to us.

Lugard was making love to his wife Flora:

It was during esctasy: she said yeah, Niger - area should be Nigeria.

And ofcourse Lugard accepted it.

That said, renaming alone is not enough.

We need to CREATE Nigeria/Africa for Africans.

We are still living in Nigeria/Africa created by EU for EU.
Re: Should The Name Nigeria Be Changed? by OBVIOUS(m): 3:30pm On Oct 21, 2008
We need to CREATE Nigeria/Africa for Africans.

We are still living in Nigeria/Africa created by EU for EU

I agree!!!!
Re: Should The Name Nigeria Be Changed? by bawomolo(m): 3:35pm On Oct 21, 2008
faoni572:

If it worked in Congo I don't think it will work well in Nigeria, many things that work well in other countries when you bring it down to Nigeria it will take awkward shape.

lol man i was just being sarcastic, the man behind congo's name change was the one and only mobutu sese seko. name changes are nothing but symbolic, we need policy change not name change.
Re: Should The Name Nigeria Be Changed? by dmxqo(m): 11:57pm On Oct 31, 2008
I neva said 'my lecturer thinks it is d source of nigeria's problem' I wonder how DUMB ADULTS cannot understand what i said.
Re: Should The Name Nigeria Be Changed? by DisGuy: 12:12am On Nov 01, 2008
are we not in the river niger area?
at least the name wasnt plucked from the sky

hmm i wonder why Nigerians are not that romantic
considering the circumstances behind 'our name'

(1) (Reply)

What Is Wrong With Ekiti State ? / Corruption Drops In Nigeria, Says World Bank. Na Tru? / MADNESS: FG to spend N2.68tn Budget in 2009

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.