Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,669 members, 7,823,894 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:37 PM

Ebola: US Approves Liberia Request To Send Untested Drug - Nairaland / General (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Ebola: US Approves Liberia Request To Send Untested Drug (31224 Views)

Untested Ebola Drug Fails To Save Spanish Priest / Request To Modify Username / Seun: Request To Free Afam4eva (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ebola: US Approves Liberia Request To Send Untested Drug by nerodenero: 7:19am On Aug 12, 2014
If Cameroun is faced with severe challenges,France is ever ready to safe them but in our case,these selfish British WILL never help Nigeria.I applaud USA's gesture and just hope they can extend their goodwill to other African countries ravaged with this disease.

3 Likes

Re: Ebola: US Approves Liberia Request To Send Untested Drug by Okeikpu(m): 7:20am On Aug 12, 2014
A very beautiful continent...with a bunch of useless set of human being living in it.... angry

5 Likes

Re: Ebola: US Approves Liberia Request To Send Untested Drug by ademega(m): 7:22am On Aug 12, 2014
The drug that will be sent is limited and priority will set in in giving them . Probably ,health workers first then others . Ebola victims riot looms .

2 Likes

Re: Ebola: US Approves Liberia Request To Send Untested Drug by biafransoul: 7:23am On Aug 12, 2014
PassingShot: Finally the Americans have decided to show empathy.

May the drug really help them in combating the deadly virus.

Perhaps they refused Nigeria because it's not an epidermic yet in our country while that of Liberia has reached an alarming level. That may be a sensible thing to do considering the fact that there is limited supply of the drug yet.

Never knew it has equally reached an alarming level in Spain. Olodo

2 Likes

Re: Ebola: US Approves Liberia Request To Send Untested Drug by damocool(m): 7:23am On Aug 12, 2014
Well, they've got no choice than to administer the drug on their health worker, if they all go down due to EVD, no hope for the poor masses then...
Re: Ebola: US Approves Liberia Request To Send Untested Drug by damocool(m): 7:24am On Aug 12, 2014
Well, they've got no choice than to administer the drug on their health workers, if they all go down due to EVD, no hope for the poor masses then...
Re: Ebola: US Approves Liberia Request To Send Untested Drug by Nobody: 7:24am On Aug 12, 2014
2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

1 Like

Re: Ebola: US Approves Liberia Request To Send Untested Drug by texazzpete(m): 7:25am On Aug 12, 2014
biafransoul:

Olodo, the Spanish worker got infected helping Africans.
Re: Ebola: US Approves Liberia Request To Send Untested Drug by musulumi(m): 7:25am On Aug 12, 2014
One who writes a Virus program must equally write the anti-Virus nah......US, I shake my head for her quest to dominate the world at all cost!

1 Like

Re: Ebola: US Approves Liberia Request To Send Untested Drug by Nobody: 7:26am On Aug 12, 2014
nerodenero: If Cameroun is faced with severe challenges,France is ever ready to safe them but in our case,these selfish British WILL never help Nigeria.I applaud USA's gesture and just hope they can exxtend their goodwill to other African countries ravaged with this disease.

Well....the reason why the British will ''not'' help us is not due to their 'selfishness''

In 1962...Britian tried to get Nigeria to sign a defense agreement.....that would have put us in the same footing as Cameroon is with France....but Nigeria(for good reasons) said no.

Said defense agreement would have, among other things, allowed for the siting of a British military base on Nigerian soil...and that was not acceptable to the then Government....or even the Opposition.(It may have also jeopardised the independence of the Nigerian Army).

In a way....it was good we didn't sign the agreeement....otherwise our Army would have been weaker and dependent than it is now. (Cameroon's army is not that strong BTW.....they have to call the French for any heavy lifting. Ditto most other African countries...that's why Mali had problems with the Tuaregs and the Islamists.).

6 Likes

Re: Ebola: US Approves Liberia Request To Send Untested Drug by acedspectre: 7:28am On Aug 12, 2014
The important tin be say the drug don enta africa very soon we will grab our own.
Re: Ebola: US Approves Liberia Request To Send Untested Drug by texazzpete(m): 7:29am On Aug 12, 2014
Back on topic, this just shows how misguided the FG is...always trying to do nothing yet get the right newspaper headlines. The FG KNOWS that Mapp Pharma is a private company and not owned by the US Government. Instead of directly contacting Mapp and agreeing payment terms, they will release press statement that they have 'appealed to President Obama'.

Kudos to Liberia for finding a way to negotiate with the drug maker. I hope they understand the risks, though. It's a win-win situation for Mapp, basically getting free human trials.

5 Likes

Re: Ebola: US Approves Liberia Request To Send Untested Drug by nerodenero: 7:29am On Aug 12, 2014
This is quite enlightening.Thanks for the info grin
bushdoc9919:

Well....the reason why the British will ''not'' help us is not due to their 'selfishness''

In 1962...Britian tried to get Nigeria to sign a defense agreement.....that would have put us in the same footing as Cameroon is with France....but Nigeria(for good reasons) said no.

Said defense agreement would have, among other things, allowed for the siting of a British military base on Nigerian soil...and that was not acceptable to the then Government....or even the Opposition.(It may have also jeopardised the independence of the Nigerian Army).

In a way....it was good we didn't sign the agreeement....otherwise our Army would have been weaker and dependent than it is now. (Cameroon's army is not that strong BTW.....they have to call the French for any heavy lifting. Ditto most other African countries...that's why Mali had problems with the Tuaregs and the Islamists.).

1 Like

Re: Ebola: US Approves Liberia Request To Send Untested Drug by Nobody: 7:30am On Aug 12, 2014
Something fishy & enigmatic about ebola most folks are yet to decipher .

*perceives conspiracy * .

GOD you're still there right .?

hmm.. kinda fed up with the world ..

hope still exist sha......

its well
Re: Ebola: US Approves Liberia Request To Send Untested Drug by PassingShot(m): 7:33am On Aug 12, 2014
biafransoul:

If I'm olodo, you must be an imbe.cile then ( I mean "din-din-rin"wink.
Re: Ebola: US Approves Liberia Request To Send Untested Drug by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:34am On Aug 12, 2014
How are you sure they are not giving them a placebo?
Re: Ebola: US Approves Liberia Request To Send Untested Drug by abatically(m): 7:34am On Aug 12, 2014
Now we are all asking for help from the Americans. And later we will say AMERICA NO PASS US. SMH. We criticize them for any small thing now we run to them. When Americans were busy researching we are busy praying to God. God only helps those who help themselves.

Is it not an irony that the white man who brought Christianity to Nigeria will pray for only 5 minutes and use the rest of the time to work and research. Whereas a Nigerian will pray for 5 hours waiting for miracle instead of researching.

10 Likes

Re: Ebola: US Approves Liberia Request To Send Untested Drug by Nobody: 7:39am On Aug 12, 2014
Maxie110: I believe that zmapp will cost almost a fortune to procure. ... Hmmmm I smell rat here, still believe that this so called ebola was designed for a purpose! God help us
And this is why you are utterly stupid! This is why your African scientists do not have the ability to tackle this disease because your schools produced half baked dummies like you who have sub par IQ.

Nairaland should start deleting stupidd people from their database

2 Likes

Re: Ebola: US Approves Liberia Request To Send Untested Drug by flinton(m): 7:40am On Aug 12, 2014
Untested drugs?! Disaster in the making!
#blackzombiecreation
Re: Ebola: US Approves Liberia Request To Send Untested Drug by abatically(m): 7:42am On Aug 12, 2014
lestat:
And this is why you are utterly stupid! This is why your African scientists do not have the ability to tackle this disease because your schools produced half baked dummies like you who have sub par IQ.

Nairaland should start deleting stupidd people from their database

Guy seriously the thing tire me. The american scientists have been working while our scientists where sleeping, now they bring out a solution to a problem and people still read silly meaning to it.

2 Likes

Re: Ebola: US Approves Liberia Request To Send Untested Drug by MichaelSokoto(m): 7:42am On Aug 12, 2014
PassingShot: Finally the Americans have decided to show empathy.

May the drug really help them in combating the deadly virus.

Perhaps they refused Nigeria because it's not an epidermic yet in our country while that of Liberia has reached an alarming level. That may be a sensible thing to do considering the fact that there is limited supply of the drug yet.

So it's wen it's epidemic dat dey will send d drug? lets add u 2 d numba of victims 2 make it epidemic naa?

Last bullet*

Our jewish brodas would set 2 work once dat drug lands on Nigerian soil hence americas refusal 2 send it over cool
Re: Ebola: US Approves Liberia Request To Send Untested Drug by smite(m): 7:43am On Aug 12, 2014
How U.s discovered the secret formula to cure Ebola (a virus that is only prevalent in West Africa) amazes me!

2 Likes

Re: Ebola: US Approves Liberia Request To Send Untested Drug by Nobody: 7:44am On Aug 12, 2014
A new duplex 4 sale @ old GRA Enugu. Has 6 bedrooms all in suite, 4 upstairs and 2 downstairs with big parlour,compound and C of O, #80 million asking. Want to lease or buy landed properties in Enugu? Looking 4 accomodation in Enugu? Cotact Mbaeze unique services on 08030888125, 07030529590,08089725197,or mbaezeo@gmail.com for genuine services.
Re: Ebola: US Approves Liberia Request To Send Untested Drug by Youngzedd(m): 7:44am On Aug 12, 2014
gerrardomendes:
We did on friday morning. The entire nation did.

Except me.
Re: Ebola: US Approves Liberia Request To Send Untested Drug by Bintu4: 7:45am On Aug 12, 2014
US I give u 24hrs to send d drugs 2 Nigeria or else.....mmm. Coming back
Re: Ebola: US Approves Liberia Request To Send Untested Drug by eaglechild: 7:51am On Aug 12, 2014
arsetalks: Many people are saying Nigeria probably got rejected because it is not epidemic here, that can't be true. If it was, they would have said it.

[s]Our rejection shows how lowly the western world rates GEJ's administration. I am sure a country like America knows the importance of stopping the disease before it becomes epidemic and can't have asked us to wait for it to become epidemic before sending help.[/s]

To be honest, we had enough time to avoid the problem but we procrastinated and now think America will help us. Why should they?

They are simply telling us to suffer more for our lack of action from the onset and rightly so.

Your moniker shows where you are talking and reasoning from.

The drug is in limited supply and is still experimental, Liberia is about the worst hit, along with Sierra Leone and Guinea.
Nigeria is the least affected, in fact the other confirmed cases seem to be showing signs of improvement.
All confirmed cases in Nigeria are primary contacts of Sawyer the index case.
In other words Libera needs it most.

The reason the approval of the drugs were sped up is that the WHO ethical committee raised questions on how and why the Spanish government procured the drug from the company in lieu of the hot spots where they are needed.

4 Likes

Re: Ebola: US Approves Liberia Request To Send Untested Drug by willorie(f): 7:52am On Aug 12, 2014
emeka94: Let's just hope and pray that d drug has no long or short term side effect.

But Africa we need wake up from slumber.

We criticise US as being evil yet we run to them when wahala set. Life really is an irony

Indeed my dear sad ........Life is really an IRONY
Re: Ebola: US Approves Liberia Request To Send Untested Drug by Nobody: 7:53am On Aug 12, 2014
abatically: Now we are all asking for help from the Americans. And later we will say AMERICA NO PASS US. SMH. We criticize them for any small thing now we run to them. When Americans were busy researching we are busy praying to God. God only helps those who help themselves.

& who says we ain't researching as well.? our scientist /medics & profs. all over Nigeria & beyond are also working round the clock to remedy the situation , hopefully our yet-discovered drug/vaccine might just be the most potent & efficient ever .

Dr.abalaka & one other prof. in uniben made a discovery about " curing" AIDS But we never supported them or gave them chance to prove their claim to see if their discovery was fallacious or not ., all we did was to rain humiliating criticism or tried to politicized the whole thing , owing to greed & lack of believe on our researchers .. who knows maybe some one in Nigeria already have the cure for ebola but might be scared of the government's responds to it .

hmm

Only God can correct the error in our notions & idiosyncrasies ..

2 Likes

Re: Ebola: US Approves Liberia Request To Send Untested Drug by Nobody: 7:53am On Aug 12, 2014
Nawa o, nigeria's request got turnd down bt liberia's wasn't, so much 4 being a so called giant of africa dat can't evn lobby in international front.
Re: Ebola: US Approves Liberia Request To Send Untested Drug by virago(f): 8:00am On Aug 12, 2014
lafuria1: Lab rats, Smh, what happened to people when Pfizer came with their meningitis trial drug comes to mind.

But in this desperate times, they have no choice but should be prepared for any side effects.

I think it's clear which option any sensible person would take - side effect or death , the choice is yours

2 Likes

Re: Ebola: US Approves Liberia Request To Send Untested Drug by Daniel058(m): 8:01am On Aug 12, 2014
Igbo Guys,what's the next step?.... I think our bro >>James Ikechukwu< aka JIM IYKE.. dey there nah,make e pack am full plane,then send to naija...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Dr. Abdulkareem Tunde Abdulrahaman Is Missing / Nigerian Police Sabotage Hausa's In Ekiti To Burn Ado-ekiti Main Market / Man Knocked Down By A Car In Umuekar Abia (Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.