Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,994 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:42 AM

A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians - Culture (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians (28173 Views)

A Thread Dedicated To Orisa Nla (obatala). / The Ancient City Of Benin: Our Bronze Heritage In Pictures / Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by tpiah01: 5:00pm On Jan 31, 2015
laudate:

True talk! I have often discovered that people with a mixed heritage tend to be broad-minded, and can see things from a far more interesting & different perspective, when relating with folks from other tribes. smiley

They are often more patient, willing to give others the benefit of doubt and better at getting along with people in general, irrespective of their ethnic or cultural affiliations. cheesy

you have a very rosy view of mixed heritage people- not all are like that.

the ones who are, often find it difficult to fit in with the general environment and have less intuition about who their friends or enemies are, unlike the non-mixed ones who are able to quickly identify their surroundings and plan accordingly.

sometimes life is more than about just bringing out the guitar and playing lullabies.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by laudate: 11:09pm On Feb 01, 2015
tpiah01:

you have a very rosy view of mixed heritage people- not all are like that.

the ones who are, often find it difficult to fit in with the general environment and have less intuition about who their friends or enemies are, unlike the non-mixed ones who are able to quickly identify their surroundings and plan accordingly.

sometimes life is more than about just bringing out the guitar and playing lullabies.

Are you speaking from experience, or just generalising? For those who can't fit in, it may be due to the fact that they have a crisis of identity...which has little to do with having a mixed heritage, and more to do with knowing little or nothing about the culture they were born into, whether it is a single 'non-mixed' heritage or a mixed one! Those who find it difficult to 'fit in' into a particular culture are those who have lost touch with that particular ethnic culture, or have never learned anything about such cultures. If you are familiar with the language, customs, traditions and tenets of the different ethnic cultures that make up both sides of your dual heritage, why on earth would you not fit in?? I don't get it, oh!

I have seen this happen with Nigerian kids born in London to Nigerian parents who hailed from the same ethnic stock, but have done little to teach their kids about their local heritage, leaving them to grope in the dark, trying to decide if they are actually Nigerian or British! sad

I don't know if you have met kids with a mixed heritage who grew up in Nigeria and suffer from a crisis of identity. If you have, then it probably means that either one or both parents neglected to teach them about their dual heritage and forgot to encourage them to imbibe both cultures. undecided

I have always been quite proud of my mixed heritage and I remember growing up with cousins with a similar mixed background. We would translate words or phrases into our second language leaving our 'non-mixed' cousins guessing, and nonplussed as we pulled different tricks on them...all in good fun! We were often struck by the differences and similarities that existed among both cultures! Respect for elders, for example, is common to all Nigerian cultures. It may be expressed in different ways, but it is well understood.

My take is this...if you have a mixed heritage, then by all means learn to assimilate both cultures and languages, as best as you can. If you however choose to assimilate one culture at the expense of the other, or choose to imbibe a dominant culture while jettisoning another, whose fault is that? Is it the fault of the culture or ethnic group you discarded? No. So why turn round to claim that a dual heritage is a disadvantage?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by ChristyG(f): 11:17pm On Feb 01, 2015
laudate:

Are you speaking from experience, or just generalising? For those who can't fit in, it may be due to the fact that they have a crisis of identity...which has little to do with having a mixed heritage, and more to do with knowing little or nothing about the culture they were born into, whether it is a single 'non-mixed' heritage or a mixed one! Those who find it difficult to 'fit in' into a particular culture are those who have lost touch with that particular ethnic culture, or have never learned anything about such cultures. If you are familiar with the language, customs, traditions and tenets of the different ethnic cultures that make up both sides of your dual heritage, why on earth would you not fit in?? I don't get it, oh!

I have seen this happen with Nigerian kids born in London to Nigerian parents who hailed from the same ethnic stock, but have done little to teach their kids about their local heritage, leaving them to grope in the dark, trying to decide if they are actually Nigerian or British! sad

I don't know if you have met kids with a mixed heritage who grew up in Nigeria and suffer from a crisis of identity. If you have, then it probably means that either one or both parents neglected to teach them about their dual heritage and forgot to encourage them to imbibe both cultures. undecided

I have always been quite proud of my mixed heritage and I remember growing up with cousins with a similar mixed background. We would translate words or phrases into our second language leaving our 'non-mixed' cousins guessing, and nonplussed as we pulled different tricks on them...all in good fun! We were often struck by the differences and similarities that existed among both cultures! Respect for elders, for example, is common to all Nigerian cultures. It may be expressed in different ways, but it is well understood.

My take is this...if you have a mixed heritage, then by all means learn to assimilate both cultures and languages, as best as you can. If you however choose to assimilate one culture at the expense of the other, or choose to imbibe a dominant culture while jettisoning another, whose fault is that? Is it the fault of the culture or ethnic group you discarded? No. So why turn round to claim that a dual heritage is a disadvantage?

so what is ur own mix?
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by laudate: 11:18pm On Feb 01, 2015
ChristyG:
so what is ur own mix?

Hehehe....Nigerian! cheesy grin
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by ChristyG(f): 11:27pm On Feb 01, 2015
laudate:

Hehehe....Nigerian! cheesy grin
nah,nothing like that,no ethnic group bears dat name or u are not proud of ur roots(very common with dose from inter tribal families)nigerian my @$$cheesy

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by laudate: 11:33pm On Feb 01, 2015
ChristyG:
nah,nothing like that,no ethnic group bears dat name or u are not proud of ur roots(very common with dose from inter tribal families)nigerian my @$$cheesy

Yes, there is no ethnic group that bears the name "Nigerian,' but disclosure of my ethnic group remains my prerogative. I know who I am and appreciate the dual heritage I have been blessed with, so why on earth do I need to publicise it or make a song and dance about it, to oblige you Will it add extra coins to your pocket or mine?? shocked

Sorry, I can't fall for your subtle gimmick. You sit behind a computer and have concluded based on one sentence that "u are not proud of ur roots(very common with dose from inter tribal families)" How myopic! Mstchew...spit

If you like you can be an Eritrean...it is your choice! If you don't like being a Nigerian, burn your passport..if you have one and become a refugee!! undecided

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by ChristyG(f): 11:43pm On Feb 01, 2015
laudate:

Yes, there is no ethnic group that bears the name "Nigerian,' but disclosure of my ethnic group remains my prerogative. I know who I am and appreciate the dual heritage I have been blessed with, so why on earth do I need to publicise it or make a song and dance about it, to oblige you Will it add extra coins to your pocket or mine?? shocked

Sorry, I can't fall for your subtle gimmick. You sit behind a computer and have concluded based on one sentence that "u are not proud of ur roots(very common with dose from inter tribal families)" How myopic! Mstchew...spit

If you like you can be an Eritrean...it is your choice! If you don't like being a Nigerian, burn your passport..if you have one and become a refugee!! undecided
who gives a phuck about what ethnic group u come from,i asked a phucking question,u can shove d answer down ur throat,nobody is forcing u to reveal ur origin nigg*...i stand by opinion about all these mixed sh1t talk,nigerian my black a$$,mtcheeeeew
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by laudate: 12:09am On Feb 02, 2015
ChristyG:
who gives a phuck about what ethnic group u come from,i asked a phucking question,u can shove d answer down ur throat,nobody is forcing u to reveal ur origin nigg*...i stand by opinion about all these mixed sh1t talk,nigerian my black a$$,mtcheeeeew

Haba! Na so di matter pain you reach??! Chai!!

Why are you throwing tantrums?! Why don't you grow up? angry

Your opinion isn't worth anything to me...so go and hug a transformer if it bothers you so much!

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by ChristyG(f): 12:47am On Feb 02, 2015
laudate:

Haba! Na so di matter pain you reach??! Chai!!

Why are you throwing tantrums?! Why don't you grow up? angry

Your opinion isn't worth anything to me...so go and hug a transformer if it bothers you so much!
aja gbo,maa gbo lo,mi o raye oshi lati owo muniru bi ti e.dude get over urself,i dont even know u so why will it pain me?i told u earlier to shove it down ur throat,it has useless as nigeria itself.ko kan aiye

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by laudate: 1:49am On Feb 02, 2015
ChristyG:
aja gbo,maa gbo lo,mi o raye oshi lati owo muniru bi ti e.dude get over urself,i dont even know u so why will it pain me?i told u earlier to shove it down ur throat,it has useless as nigeria itself.ko kan aiye

What a pity!! tsk, tsk...how come you suffer from such self-hatred??! shocked hate is a poison oh, and from the volume reeking from your words, it shows you have gone round the bend. Eeyah! Now, take those words back and chew them slowly and shove them down your own slimy throat.

If the Yoruba insults you are spewing up there make you feel better....please go ahead. It says a lot about the kind of person you are...and the kind of bile that fills your soul! Hehehe! wink

There is an old proverb that says "It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to speak up and remove all doubt" and your speech, has clearly portrayed you as one, going by the filth you posted here. undecided

Grow up kid, and stop ranting! Otherwise someone will show you the way to Yaba left! You are an obvious candidate for the loony bin.

As I stated before, if being a Nigerian is a burden to you...burn your passport and become a refugee!! cool

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by tpiah01: 3:22am On Feb 02, 2015
@laudate

I'm not referring to a crisis of identity but rather the fact that when you are half something, you can't be exactly the same as the original.

Two halves make a whole, true, but the nature of the whole is what I'm considering.

You can check the other thread on mixed heritage nigerians, the op there has an insight.

Sometimes you don't notice immediately especially if you have a large family setting, but at some point you do.
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by ChristyG(f): 8:05am On Feb 02, 2015
laudate:

What a pity!! tsk, tsk...how come you suffer from such self-hatred??! shocked hate is a poison oh, and from the volume reeking from your words, it shows you have gone round the bend. Eeyah! Now, take those words back and chew them slowly and shove them down your own slimy throat.

If the Yoruba insults you are spewing up there make you feel better....please go ahead. It says a lot about the kind of person you are...and the kind of bile that fills your soul! Hehehe! wink

There is an old proverb that says "It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to speak up and remove all doubt" and your speech, has clearly portrayed you as one, going by the filth you posted here. undecided

Grow up kid, and stop ranting! Otherwise someone will show you the way to Yaba left! You are an obvious candidate for the loony bin.

As I stated before, if being a Nigerian is a burden to you...burn your passport and become a refugee!! cool
yawnnnnnnnns,am bored with ur id1ocy.the same reason u think my opinion is irrelevant to you is d same way urs is useless to me,so u can write all d long epistles in d world,it still doesnt make u important son of a biatch.today is monday abeg,so save ur id1iocy for ur family.omo aja,alainironu oshi
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by laudate: 10:31pm On Feb 07, 2015
tpiah01:
@laudate

I'm not referring to a crisis of identity but rather the fact that when you are half something, you can't be exactly the same as the original.

Two halves make a whole, true, but the nature of the whole is what I'm considering.

You can check the other thread on mixed heritage nigerians, the op there has an insight.

Sometimes you don't notice immediately especially if you have a large family setting, but at some point you do.

I don't think it is right to see people as objects who are 'half of this' and 'half of that.' Some folks classify certain people as 'original', simply because they are non-mixed. How strange. So are those with a dual heritage, 'fake?' shocked

There are some people who believe that because a person is half of one culture, he cannot be a part of another culture. Why?? Unfortunately, I find this mindset among folks who see themselves as non-mixed or a 'whole'.

The person you cited who has a different view, is entitled to his own opinion. His reality is not my reality. So, I beg to differ.

As I stated before, if you are conversant or familiar with the traditions, language, culture, nuances, and ethos of BOTH cultures that make up your dual heritage, you will not feel like an outsider, in any of these cultures.

Afterall, those you refer to as 'original,' isn't it the fact that they have been brought up within a single culture they are familiar with, that makes them feel they are a so-called 'original?' undecided

Even if their parents came from the same ethnic stock or culture, and such people were raised in a culture different from their parents' own, and were not schooled by their parents' in their indigenous culture, would they still be classified as an 'original?' by other folks within that same culture?

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by laudate: 10:37pm On Feb 07, 2015
ChristyG:
yawnnnnnnnns,am bored with ur id1ocy.the same reason u think my opinion is irrelevant to you is d same way urs is useless to me,so u can write all d long epistles in d world,it still doesnt make u important son of a biatch.today is monday abeg,so save ur id1iocy for ur family.omo aja,alainironu oshi

Another loony on the loose! Someone please show her the way to 'Yaba left'!!

The venom in her mind will finish her off, if the bile in her heart does not kill her first.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by itstpia8: 1:27am On Feb 08, 2015
laudate:

I don't think it is right to see people as objects who are 'half of this' and 'half of that.' Some folks classify certain people as 'original', simply because they are non-mixed. How strange. So are those with a dual heritage, 'fake?' shocked

the term original is used relatively, depending on the context. I doubt anyone uses it literally in the sense implied.

Being half and half doesnt make anyone an object, it just describes who they are.

There are some people who believe that because a person is half of one culture, he cannot be a part of another culture. Why?? Unfortunately, I find this mindset among folks who see themselves as non-mixed or a 'whole'.

if you study people who are not mixed, and compare them with people who are mixed, you'll notice the difference in demeanour/comportment as well as appearance.

The issue of transposing across cultures, or juxtaposing cultures, makes for some awkwardness when transferring between both, hence the obliqueness in relating with people of cross cultural heritage. This obliqueness is less pronounced when/if your social interaction is majorly with people who share the same background as you. Meaning you might not consciously notice you're different unless your social circle changes and you become a minority.

The person you cited who has a different view, is entitled to his own opinion. His reality is not my reality. So, I beg to differ.

he didnt necessarily state an opinion, but rather his experiences. However, i agree his reality may be different from yours.

As I stated before, if you are conversant or familiar with the traditions, language, culture, nuances, and ethos of BOTH cultures that make up your dual heritage, you will not feel like an outsider, in any of these cultures.

that depends, as i explained in the second part of this post.

Afterall, those you refer to as 'original,' isn't it the fact that they have been brought up within a single culture they are familiar with, that makes them feel they are a so-called 'original?' undecided

its more than that, not necessarily because of environment alone but also heritage.

Even if their parents came from the same ethnic stock or culture, and such people were raised in a culture different from their parents' own, and were not schooled by their parents' in their indigenous culture, would they still be classified as an 'original?' by other folks within that same culture?

most likely they would, but in a different context from "home bred" ones (as opposed to foreign).
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by itstpia8: 1:35am On Feb 08, 2015
ChristyG:
nah,nothing like that,no ethnic group bears dat name or u are not proud of ur roots(very common with dose from inter tribal families)

i dont think so, it depends on your approach, if you seem hostile, you wont get answers.
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by itstpia8: 1:37am On Feb 08, 2015
ChristyG:
so what is ur own mix?

every major tribe i think- east, west, north and south. Plus maybe mid west.

Does that answer your question and quell your anger?
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by laudate: 10:28pm On Feb 12, 2015
itstpia8:

if you study people who are not mixed, and compare them with people who are mixed, you'll notice the difference in demeanour/comportment as well as appearance.

The issue of transposing across cultures, or juxtaposing cultures, makes for some awkwardness when transferring between both, hence the obliqueness in relating with people of cross cultural heritage. This obliqueness is less pronounced when/if your social interaction is majorly with people who share the same background as you. Meaning you might not consciously notice you're different unless your social circle changes and you become a minority.

he didnt necessarily state an opinion, but rather his experiences. However, i agree his reality may be different from yours.

that depends, as i explained in the second part of this post.

its more than that, not necessarily because of environment alone but also heritage.

most likely they would, but in a different context from "home bred" ones (as opposed to foreign).

What are these differences in comportment, demeanour and appearance? Please be specific about the nature of these differences.

Secondly, you mentioned 'awkwardness'. I had to laugh. I have seen people who fall under the description you classified as 'original' that are still ill at ease and awkward within their ethnic communities , even though they are not mixed. It still boils down to the lack of familiarity with their culture, rather than anything else as stated earlier.

This same reason is often why some of those with dual-heritage would probably feel 'awkward', if they have not bothered to acquaint themselves properly with the dual cultures that make up their heritage.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by tpiar: 10:55pm On Feb 12, 2015

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by tpiar: 12:38am On Feb 13, 2015
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by babsjnr(m): 12:53am On Feb 13, 2015
Black is black theres nothing mixed about African tribe we are all distance relatives
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by tpiar: 4:34am On Feb 13, 2015
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by eightsin(m): 7:05am On Feb 16, 2015
A friend from Isuikwuato in abia state just made that statement that Isuikwuato people don't marry deltans and I'd like to find out how true.
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by Mapletraks: 3:12pm On Jun 18, 2015
laudate:

With reference to the part in bold type, I don't think this is true.

Pre-colonial Nigeria, had a lot of Ogbomosho people from the south-western part of Nigeria who were itinerant traders. They migrated up north and settled there. Some of them intermarried with the Hausa communities in those areas. More details can be found in this book: Approaching the Study of Yoruba Diaspora in Northern Nigeria in the 20th Century by Rasheed Olaniyi, IFRA SPECIAL RESEARCH ISSUE VOL. 2. In that book he states that...

You can also read this book Strangers and Traders: Yoruba Migrants, Markets, and the State in Northern Ghana by Jeremy Seymour Eades, Africa World Press, 1994 - Business & Economics - 234 pages. In an entire chapter titled The Legacy of the Nineteenth Century , he dwells extensively on the migration patterns of the Ogbomosho traders in Northern Nigeria, and makes comparisons with their entry into Northern Ghana, during the same period.

Also, if you go to the middle belt especially in areas like Ilorin, Kwara, Kogi etc., & some parts of the far North, you would find out there has been a long history of inter-marriage between the Hausa, Kanuri, Fulanis (who are sometimes erroneously referred to as 'Hausa') and the Yoruba tribe, due to the long historical links between them.

Post-colonial Nigeria, also saw a number of northerners, including the Hausa (I hesitate to use the word 'Hausa', to describe a collective group of people, as there are several minority tribes in the North that speak fluent Hausa, but are not core Hausa themselves) conducting inter-tribal marriages with Southerners, including Yoruba people.

^^^^^^
@laudate, that's an illuminating info you
shared there.

I have first and second cousins who are
married across ethnic lines, but my spouse
is biracial and non-Nigerian by birth.

Last but not least, it is important that fathers
teach and expose their mixed heritage kids to
their ethnic languages before the age of 2/3 years to avoid the highly embarassing
scenario where NON of them can speak neither
of the fathers' or mother' languages.

There are Yoruba language CDs/DVDs that
are available in the Diaspora, and these can be
made available for those with mixed Yoruba/other Nigeria ethnicities as well from online
sources. The use of multi-media devices
in audio and video format makes learning
a language easier - be it French, Yoruba, Hausa,
Ibibio, etc, EASY for kids and adults!
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by itstpia8: 7:28pm On Nov 05, 2015
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by tpiar: 3:04am On Jan 02, 2016
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by Nobody: 11:05pm On Jan 03, 2016
Proudly YORUDELTA Daddy- Ondo West, Ondo state. Mummy- ika south, Delta state.
would really love to marry a Yoruba lady.. any single Yoruba lady in d house
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by chukkz: 5:30pm On Feb 13, 2020
dannytwix:
My own strong ehn.. Mumsi - Hausa - Kaduna
Popsi - Ijaw - Bayelsa. I grew up in Akwa Ibom.. I can only speak English & Pidgin cry

Where in kaduna state is she from?
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by tpiar: 6:10pm On Feb 13, 2020
eightsin:
A friend from Isuikwuato in abia state just made that statement that Isuikwuato people don't marry deltans and I'd like to find out how true.

Anyone?
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by chukkz: 7:39pm On Feb 13, 2020
mcfarlin:
Proud of my heritage_________ika-annang+yoruba. cool

Ika is Igbo!
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by chukkz: 7:52pm On Feb 13, 2020
suyu:

paternally you are yoruba but culturally you will lean to your mothers side

Biko.....he is yoruba. Final. In African cultures (esp Nigerian cultures), the mum is the guardian of the child whereas the dad is the owner of the child.
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by chukkz: 8:45pm On Feb 13, 2020
CosmicSensation:
Dad- bini
Mum- etsako. smiley

Your not mixed.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale / Hollywood High School Hosts Ooni Of Ife In USA(photos) / Re: Ndi Igbo, "Good Morning" Is Not "Ututu Oma"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.