Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,910 members, 7,835,040 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:44 AM

First Time Cooking Experience - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / First Time Cooking Experience (7753 Views)

White Girl Sees Nigerian Fried Plantain For The First Time And Reacts / PHOTOS: A Young South-african Lady Display Her Nigerian Cooking Experience. / A Picture Of Vincent Enyeama Cooking Okro Soup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: First Time Cooking Experience by tranxo(m): 7:31am On Aug 13, 2014
Was brought up by my mum so it came naturally. Started at about 5 or 6 with toasting bread for breakfast. With a real gas oven ooo not pop-up toaster. Then graduated to frying eggs, plantain and yam. Next was chin chin, then proper foods of which i can't remember my first anymore.
i refused to learn the soups cos i want my future wife to at least have something to wow me with. Lol.

1 Like

Re: First Time Cooking Experience by eigmaticme: 8:11am On Aug 13, 2014
My earliest memory of cooking is yam porridge and i think i was 9 or 10. I am a pretty good cook now
Re: First Time Cooking Experience by Camellia(f): 8:59am On Aug 13, 2014
nikkypearl: The first time I cooked was seven years ago during my youth service grin *covers face*
Don't ask me why! shocked

I got tired of eating junk food and I decided to cook on my own,I boiled rice and grated 30# tomato and added 4cubes of maggie(knorr) grin
Mehn wen I tasted d sauce....u knw d rest!
Thanks to my calabar friend who spent 6months of our youth service teaching how to cook!
And now! I b confirmed CHEF tongue
shocked
nikkypearl: The first time I cooked was seven years ago during my youth service grin *covers face*
Don't ask me why! shocked

I got tired of eating junk food and I decided to cook on my own,I boiled rice and grated 30# tomato and added 4cubes of maggie(knorr) grin
Mehn wen I tasted d sauce....u knw d rest!
Thanks to my calabar friend who spent 6months of our youth service teaching how to cook!
And now! I b confirmed CHEF tongue
Re: First Time Cooking Experience by darlingnuel(m): 9:08am On Aug 13, 2014
urhoboman: fish stew will do, also add kpomo. U won't stop beefing me if I ask for beef stew.
Badt guy! Why 'kpomo'? grin
Re: First Time Cooking Experience by fidzy(m): 9:27am On Aug 13, 2014
First time was jollof rice, too much pepper and little salt...but it was "eatable" cos its a hostel and guys were patiently waiting. So far they got full no problems cool
Re: First Time Cooking Experience by J0nyb0y(m): 9:39am On Aug 13, 2014
tobyemmanuel: Cooked rice but was no soft before I drained. Na wen everybody started eatin. Dem turn am to chinchin
lmao..
Re: First Time Cooking Experience by demmyluv90(f): 9:44am On Aug 13, 2014
I was 8 then, no one was at home, except my lil bro n I, he said "you're a girl and u can't cook". I was angry, carried the kitchen stool pourd enough thyme n curry in the rice and enof veg oil and salt. The rice was strong ehn, with enough thyme but was not soooo bad. But now, I'm a pro, jst name it.
Re: First Time Cooking Experience by zemaye: 9:56am On Aug 13, 2014
I was eleven or twelve years old then. Mumc was out on a meeting then popsy arrived from a journey.
He went to the market ,bought stew ingredient with Turkey(broiler Wey sabi scatter).
grin
I was instructed to cook stew,rice and beans.
Na so I enter kitchen with prayer o, as I fry the Turkey finish my mama come o,
I begin happy say she go pity me take over for wia.
She just enter kitchen smile come say 'iyawo Alhaji' well done. I change face to pitiful one the woman no send me she just go parlour go jist with her husband.
Summarily sha I cook the food finish I got a B from my dad some money and other gifts as encouragement.
But Na DAT dey my mama retire for active cooking when am around. grin cry

1 Like

Re: First Time Cooking Experience by FEMoxylian: 10:01am On Aug 13, 2014
Mine was beans when l was 14years; tried to assist my mum take kia of my siblings after school as she did not return early from work to pepare lunch and my youngest brother was already crying. The water added to the beans was too much and salty but we had no choice but to manage the special meal. I remember recieving a hard knock on my head for messing up the kitchen. Am a very good cook now though..
Re: First Time Cooking Experience by wildflower22(f): 10:19am On Aug 13, 2014
i think i was 7 or 8 i was told to cook stew, i know they usually fry onions and put grinded tomatoes and then the meat water and ingredients. i just fried the onions and the grinded tomatoes for like five minutes and poured in the boiled meat, salt to taste and stew was ready. Nobody could eat till mom had to start it all from the beginning. but that is then, im a chef now
Re: First Time Cooking Experience by pappyrose(f): 10:34am On Aug 13, 2014
urhoboman: Mine was hell, not cooking though bt it was my first kitchen xperience. donno what she(grandma) put inside the pot and asked me to make sure itz properly DONE by always blowing the fire,(firewood) nd replaced dem wen burnt up. She went out, I was left ahome suffering my self till she came back laffing, i was like WTFz wrong? Mind u she ordered me not to open the pot till she comes back. Alas she opened it and there was noting in the pot, twas filled up with water. Just to keep me at home. Cnt 4get dat day.

If I hear say I no open that pot. Curiosity no go let me rest.

1 Like

Re: First Time Cooking Experience by AriDsexy(f): 11:35am On Aug 13, 2014
darlingnuel: Badt guy! Why 'kpomo'? grin
In school then,some guys we ask my neigbour"how the kpomo market"Hope its not what I'm thinking sha.Sorry op for derailing your thread.
Re: First Time Cooking Experience by AriDsexy(f): 11:41am On Aug 13, 2014
pappyrose:

If I hear say I no open that pot. Curiosity no go let me rest.
Abi o,waffi guy for that matter.I find it so hard to believe that he didn't open that pot.
Re: First Time Cooking Experience by PRINCEHPXP(m): 12:50pm On Aug 13, 2014
mine is a long story yahjey...
Re: First Time Cooking Experience by darlingnuel(m): 2:12pm On Aug 13, 2014
AriDsexy:
In school then,some guys we ask my neigbour"how the kpomo market"Hope its not what I'm thinking sha.Sorry op for derailing your thread.
It's certainly what u re thinking! I can read ur mind
Re: First Time Cooking Experience by AriDsexy(f): 2:36pm On Aug 13, 2014
darlingnuel: It's certainly what u re thinking! I can read ur mind
Hahaha...ok then.
Re: First Time Cooking Experience by sucezTP(f): 3:50pm On Aug 13, 2014
That day mumsy went for a function, and told me to cook stew before she comes. I was helping her in the shop, and at same time cooking the stew. I cooked the stew for one hour and later added fish. I waited for another one hour after adding the fish, and at a point I exhausted the kerosene. Then I rushed down to the shop to collect more kerosene cos I was thinking the stew was not done yet. My people, after 3 hours sha, I went in to check the delicious stew, cos I had it on mind to impress my mum. Behold, it became burnt offering. Thank God iya Quadri sells pepper, and iya Queen sells fish. I locked the shop and had to get those items before mumsy was back. She came back and wanted shouting on me, but before she could say 'Jack Robinson' I showed her what I bought, and even at that she shouted, but not much sha. Hmmmmm! I for hear weeeeeennn dat day o.
Re: First Time Cooking Experience by olubukola07(f): 4:39pm On Aug 13, 2014
The first time I cooked, it is wz concoction rice. It really tasted nice but the groundnut oil I added wz almost the same quantity as the water I used to cook the rice, I wz practically seiving the rice with spoon. grin

1 Like

Re: First Time Cooking Experience by dania30(f): 4:43pm On Aug 13, 2014
Very funny posts aswear!
Lol...the first time I tried cooking tho cry Everyone travelled, I should be in JSS1 then...my first real cooking. So I was home alone with my dad and he said I should try and make soup. He said egusi and he asked me if I could, foolishly I said yes(lol.dunno why I said that sef). I bought the ingredients, I poured in the oil, followed by the egusi. Skips to the end-the soup was a total disaster. But my dad been the man that he is, actually pretended to enjoy the soup cry (I felt sorry for him tho).
But look at me now #proudchef grin wink cheesy
Re: First Time Cooking Experience by Sarimah(f): 4:49pm On Aug 13, 2014
U can say dat again grin grin grin grin grin
Unibenstudent: U deserve a standing ovation and a thunderous roll of applause
Re: First Time Cooking Experience by Joshuadon: 5:02pm On Aug 13, 2014
dania30: Very funny posts aswear!
Lol...the first time I tried cooking tho cry Everyone travelled, I should be in JSS1 then...my first real cooking. So I was home alone with my dad and he said I should try and make soup. He said egusi and he asked me if I could, foolishly I said yes(lol.dunno why I said that sef). I bought the ingredients, I poured in the oil, followed by the egusi. Skips to the end-the soup was a total disaster. But my dad been the man that he is, actually pretended to enjoy the soup cry (I felt sorry for him tho).
But look at me now #proudchef grin wink cheesy

[size=15pt]u should be ashamed of urself,wen i was at jss1 i thought i was a bit perfect maybe cus ma mum was tasking us to cook, try and error tins grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin wink[/size]
Re: First Time Cooking Experience by Nobody: 5:10pm On Aug 13, 2014
I think I was 9/10, in jss1 then, came back on hols (I was a boarder) , told my peeps of how they fed us with 'asaro', and it was very sweet. So they gave me this very small yam to cook mine, my mum asked me to add a lil beans, say we not westerners...lol.

I did just that, since they said beans takes a lot of time to done, I boiled the beans for a very long period, added the yam when my spirit led me to(alongside other ingredients) and brought it down when my spirit led me to aswell.

My mum came back almost imm, naso I jack the pot and was carrying it into her room to show her(excitement) I don't know what went wrong as I was trying to open the door, the pot slipped outta my hand...you know the rest. I avoided the kitchen for a veryyy long time (till I got into the uni)
Re: First Time Cooking Experience by Nobody: 6:51pm On Aug 13, 2014
So what's up
Sarimah: U can say dat again grin grin grin grin grin
Re: First Time Cooking Experience by larj(m): 7:04pm On Aug 13, 2014
space reserved
Re: First Time Cooking Experience by Silensa(m): 8:36pm On Aug 13, 2014
didn't like what they cooked for us in school, my classmate and I decided to cook something new. For stove we used mpanaka (bush lamp), for pot we used our plate.
we tried cooking Egusi soup. water+salt+pepper+Egusi+vegetable+oil
Didn't even wait for the soup to boil.
used cold water in place of hot water for the garri.

What followed was our stomach started running away
Re: First Time Cooking Experience by Saraha1(f): 9:12pm On Aug 13, 2014
grin
Silensa: didn't like what they cooked for us in school, my classmate and I decided to cook something new. For stove we used mpanaka (bush lamp), for pot we used our plate.
we tried cooking Egusi soup. water+salt+pepper+Egusi+vegetable+oil
Didn't even wait for the soup to boil.
used cold water in place of hot water for the garri.

What followed was our stomach started running away
wetin?? Ha you won kill your self?
Stop doing that .
Re: First Time Cooking Experience by Nobody: 9:39pm On Aug 13, 2014
Got burnt right?so funny.
macsika: Mine was yesterday. I called my sister at home to direct me on how to cook soup. After getting the necessary ingredient, I did the mixing properly as I was directed.

30 minutes later I invented a TASTELESS BLACK SOUP.
Re: First Time Cooking Experience by Nobody: 9:45pm On Aug 13, 2014
you people are too funny kai.
sucezTP: That day mumsy went for a function, and told me to cook stew before she comes. I was helping her in the shop, and at same time cooking the stew. I cooked the stew for one hour and later added fish. I waited for another one hour after adding the fish, and at a point I exhausted the kerosene. Then I rushed down to the shop to collect more kerosene cos I was thinking the stew was not done yet. My people, after 3 hours sha, I went in to check the delicious stew, cos I had it on mind to impress my mum. Behold, it became burnt offering. Thank God iya Quadri sells pepper, and iya Queen sells fish. I locked the shop and had to get those items before mumsy was back. She came back and wanted shouting on me, but before she could say 'Jack Robinson' I showed her what I bought, and even at that she shouted, but not much sha. Hmmmmm! I for hear weeeeeennn dat day o.
Re: First Time Cooking Experience by Nobody: 9:48pm On Aug 13, 2014
I pity you what about if ur future wife is one of these girls that posted here.
tranxo: Was brought up by my mum so it came naturally. Started at about 5 or 6 with toasting bread for breakfast. With a real gas oven ooo not pop-uo toaster. Then graduated to frying eggs, plantain and yam. Next was chin chin, then proper foods of which i can't remember my first anymore. i refused to learn the soups cos i want my future wife to at least have something to wow me with. Lol.
Re: First Time Cooking Experience by mimicue(f): 10:19pm On Aug 13, 2014
First time I cooked I fried eggs..fried d eggs plus d stove grin embarassed
Re: First Time Cooking Experience by macsika: 11:53pm On Aug 13, 2014
uplawal: Got burnt right?so funny.
I felt more like it disappeared cos I didn't recognize it.
Re: First Time Cooking Experience by kelechiMarie(f): 12:06am On Aug 14, 2014
One particular daymy mum was out and I was hungry so I decided to fry eggs.I put a lot of oil like you would when frying fish and waited in vain for it to dry up.Anyways I poured the oil and the eggs into a sieve and drained the oil,the eggs were burnt already and tasted terrible but I ate it.The second time I put in a lot of thyme in my jollof macaroni I couldn't eat it though
Still can't cook sef

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lol:food-hungry Lagosians Hack On Dead, Smelly Whale - Food Is Ready / What are the Different Methods Of Preparing Salad / Your Party Small Chops And Chapman @350per Guest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.