Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,747 members, 7,824,150 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:49 AM

The Paradox Of Malfunction Indicator Lamp ( Check Engine) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Paradox Of Malfunction Indicator Lamp ( Check Engine) (1110 Views)

Do Cars Malfunction After Having Sex In Them? / Toyota Malfunction Indicator Lamp / Help.my Honda Crv Drive "d" Indicator Light Blinks (Now solved) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Paradox Of Malfunction Indicator Lamp ( Check Engine) by Bossmd: 1:46pm On Aug 13, 2014
The light says "Check Engine", but why is it that when there is a critical problem with the Engine itself like Engine Failure (Knocked Engine), This light will never come on? Is this not a paradox?
Re: The Paradox Of Malfunction Indicator Lamp ( Check Engine) by omicron(m): 4:15pm On Aug 13, 2014
Bossmd: The light says "Check Engine", but why is it that when there is a critical problem with the Engine itself like Engine Failure (Knocked Engine), This light will never come on? Is this not a paradox?
A computer antivirus software tells u, ''Threat detected'', and you ask why does it not show you ''computer dies'', when the computer is dead

4 Likes

Re: The Paradox Of Malfunction Indicator Lamp ( Check Engine) by sultaan(m): 5:56pm On Aug 13, 2014
You are mixing things up.

Check engine means your engine is not working within set parameters. Sensors send information on how engine is running to the computer and if one of them is not working or giving data out of normal range CEL(check engine light) comes on.

Now if you ignore it long enough for engine to die, there is no paradox in that.

Even if your engine is working right but your mechanic decided to mess with fan wiring, or put bad oil in engine maybe no oil at all and you ignore the check gauges light. Your engine will die if not maintained, I don't know any engine that dies without warning.

I have seen people throw a rod after driving on highway with some as black as tire bellowing out for miles yet they think they will get it fixed when they get home
Re: The Paradox Of Malfunction Indicator Lamp ( Check Engine) by Bossmd: 7:47pm On Aug 13, 2014
Please where can I get my car scanned in Ibadan?
Re: The Paradox Of Malfunction Indicator Lamp ( Check Engine) by Bossmd: 7:06pm On Aug 17, 2014
Please is it possible to scan a car even when the "check engine" light is not on?
Re: The Paradox Of Malfunction Indicator Lamp ( Check Engine) by autofixng: 8:58am On Aug 18, 2014
Bossmd: Please is it possible to scan a car even when the "check engine" light is not on?
Yes
Re: The Paradox Of Malfunction Indicator Lamp ( Check Engine) by Nobody: 10:00am On Aug 20, 2014
Bossmd: Please is it possible to scan a car even when the "check engine" light is not on?
It's possible but why would you want to do that?
Unless if your MIL has burned out.

(1) (Reply)

Pics: How To Maintain A Car Yourself / I Want To Ship A Car To Ghana / Merecedes Just Unveiled Their New MAYBACH SUPER-CAR

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.