Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,282 members, 7,815,477 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:02 PM

We’ve Not Reintroduced ATM Charges —CBN - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / We’ve Not Reintroduced ATM Charges —CBN (3878 Views)

We’ve Not Reintroduced ATM Charges —CBN / Banks To Start Zero ATM Charges On Dec 17. / Banks And Interswitch To Increase ATM Charges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Go Down)

We’ve Not Reintroduced ATM Charges —CBN by victorVIC1(m): 7:48am On Aug 15, 2014
LAGOS—The Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, yesterday said it has not
reintroduced charges on the use of Automated Teller Machines, ATMs
as being speculated.

The Director, Banking & Payments System Department of CBN, Mr.
Dipo Fatokun, who explained this to Vanguard after his remarks at
the meeting held by Nigeria Electronic Fraud Forum in Lagos, said:

“It is not a reintroduction per se . You have to agree with me that
when the amendment was made in November 2012, it used to be a
N100 for any remote-on-us withdrawal that you did. And you know
that the remote-on-us is when you as a card holder goes to the ATM
of a bank other than your bank to withdraw cash. It was removed
then so that people would be encouraged to go to other ATMs without
paying for it.

But the truth is that as we said in the circular on the Introduction of
Fees on Remote-On-Us ATM Withdrawal Transactions recently, that
N100 included the N35 that goes to the issuing bank, which has now
been completely waived. The issuing bank does not make any thing,
but in going to other ATMs to make withdrawal , your bank, that is,
the acquirer bank incurs cost of N65 which they pay to the switches
and the owner of the ATM that you are using.

Continuing, he said:

”Between 2012 and recently when the review was
done, it was discovered that people have actually turned ATMs into
their personal purses because nothing is charged. Somebody needs
N500, or N1000, he will go to ATM and withdraw, he needs N2000, he
will go to ATM and withdraw, so that in a day some people can
patronise ATM for up to four or ten times. That has created a huge
cost burden for the banks that issue the cards. It was becoming
discouraging to them.

“So that is why we said, you can go to an ATM other than your bank
ATM to withdraw up to three times and no charges would be
imposed on you, but it is when you make the fourth withdrawal that
you will pay the N65 that ordinarily your bank would have paid on
your behalf. But of course if you go to your bank’s ATM, the issuer,
for withdrawal you can withdraw as many times as you like without
being charged. So, it does not discourage financial inclusion. You
should bear in mind that when you talk of cashless regime, you are
encouraging people to do their transactions electronically other than
the use of cash. So it is a motivation for people to patromise the
ATM. “

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/08/weve-reintroduced-atm-charges-cbn/#sthash.okrGmLM0.dpu

1 Like

Re: We’ve Not Reintroduced ATM Charges —CBN by Burger01(m): 7:54am On Aug 15, 2014
Some 'mischievous' bankers are doing everything possible to milk the customers dry undecided
Re: We’ve Not Reintroduced ATM Charges —CBN by Nobody: 7:57am On Aug 15, 2014
i now see reasons
Re: We’ve Not Reintroduced ATM Charges —CBN by Nobody: 8:02am On Aug 15, 2014
The CBN is confused,why discourage multiple withdrawal,yet they are clamouring for cashless society. I for one,I can withdraw many times a day,I only withdraw only what I need for a purpose,cos one of my weakness is spendthrift when with huge amount..this is nothing short of policy somersault.

4 Likes

Re: We’ve Not Reintroduced ATM Charges —CBN by jmoore(m): 8:04am On Aug 15, 2014
“So that is why we said, you can go to an ATM other than your bank
ATM to withdraw up to three times and no charges would be
imposed on you, but it is when you make the fourth withdrawal that
you will pay the N65 that ordinarily your bank would have paid on
your behalf. But of course if you go to your bank’s ATM, the issuer,
for withdrawal you can withdraw as many times as you like without
being charged.
Re: We’ve Not Reintroduced ATM Charges —CBN by aljharem(m): 8:05am On Aug 15, 2014
[quote author=jmoore][/quote]

that is all that is needed to say
Re: We’ve Not Reintroduced ATM Charges —CBN by jmoore(m): 8:09am On Aug 15, 2014
Yomieluv: The CBN is confused,why discourage multiple withdrawal,yet they are clamouring for cashless society. I for one,I can withdraw many times a day,I only withdraw only what I need for a purpose,cos one of my weakness is spendthrift when with huge amount..this is nothing short of policy somersault.

Cashless policy has nothing to with withdrawal. If you are touching the cash then its not cashless.

6 Likes

Re: We’ve Not Reintroduced ATM Charges —CBN by aljharem(m): 8:10am On Aug 15, 2014
There is be no charges for people withdrawing their money from any ATM from any financial institution unless it is operated by a private company.

Why make interest on our money and still charge us on withdrawal. Afterall, we Nigerians don't see any interest paid into our accounts.

The law should be reverted immediately

1 Like

Re: We’ve Not Reintroduced ATM Charges —CBN by stinggy(m): 8:12am On Aug 15, 2014
'It is when you make your fourth withdrawal that you'll be charged'

I hate how this sounds angry
We all know how banks try all their best to cheat customers. I bet some people will be charged right from their first withdrawal!

You can't be pushing for a cashless economy and yet come up with this thoughtless charge.
*pissed off*

1 Like

Re: We’ve Not Reintroduced ATM Charges —CBN by koboko69: 8:13am On Aug 15, 2014
[b]it was discovered that people have actually turned ATMs into their personal purses because nothing is charged. Somebody needs N500, or N1000, he will go to ATM and withdraw, he needs N2000, he will go to ATM and withdraw, so that in a day some people can patronise ATM for up to four or ten times.
Who discovered this blantant lie? Who likes going through the stress of going to an ATM even once? Lets assume thia is correct, what % of Nigerians does that. Majority of Nigerians even have to drive, or use other means of transport to get to an ATM point. What is wrong in withdrawing 500 or 1000? Does one have to withdraw more than he needs? This banks are making a whole lot money from depositors money why cant they pay for switches. They post huge profits at the end of every year, whilst paying the switches so what burden are we talking about here. As a matter of fact, the money still goes round the banks, because the same way onr uses a GTB atm in Zenith, is the same way someone is using Zenith's ATM in GTB, meaning as GTB is paying Zenith and the switch network, Zenith is also paying GTB and the switch network in another terminal.

Indeed the cluelessness of this administration is as infectious as EBOLA, Sanusi only had natural immunity and was sacked cos of that.[/b]

8 Likes

Re: We’ve Not Reintroduced ATM Charges —CBN by aljharem(m): 8:14am On Aug 15, 2014
stinggy: 'It is when you make your fourth withdrawal that you'll be charged'

I hate how this sounds angry
We all know how banks try all their best to cheat customers. [size=18pt]I bet some people will be charged right from their first withdrawal![/size]

You can't be pushing for a cashless economy and yet come up with the thoughtless charges.
*pissed off*

2 Likes

Re: We’ve Not Reintroduced ATM Charges —CBN by Nobody: 8:20am On Aug 15, 2014
”Between 2012 and recently when the review was done, it was discovered that people have actually turned ATMs into their personal purses because nothing is charged. Somebody needs N500, or N1000, he will go to ATM and withdraw, he needs N2000, he. will go to ATM and withdraw, so that in a day some people can
patronise ATM for up to four or ten times. That has created a huge cost burden for the banks that issue the cards.

Sometimes you tend to question if southerners have human face when implementing policies. The same CBN that encouraged the poor man on the street to open a bank account, discouraged him from queueing in the banking and forced him to apply for an Atm card is now telling him he's disturbing the commercial banks on top of his money.

The North always consider their people whenever they find themselves in positions but the south is always concerned about profit-making. Obj increased the price of fuel same as Jonathan but Yardua brought it down and now the southern CBN governor just re-introduced a charges that once made accessiblity to Atm convinient for the ordinary man.

11 Likes

Re: We’ve Not Reintroduced ATM Charges —CBN by stinggy(m): 8:35am On Aug 15, 2014
Bluetooth2:

Sometimes you tend to question if southerners have human face when implementing policies. The same CBN that encouraged the poor man on the street to open a bank account, discouraged him from queueing in the banking and forced him to apply for an Atm card is now telling him he's disturbing the commercial banks on top of his money.

The North always consider their people whenever they find themselves in positions but the south is always concerned about profit-making. Obj increased the price of fuel same as Jonathan but Yardua brought it down and now the southern CBN governor just re-introduced a charges that once made accessiblity to Atm convinient for the ordinary man.

Hmmmm..... after minutes of thought, I think you're right

6 Likes

Re: We’ve Not Reintroduced ATM Charges —CBN by macklef(m): 9:14am On Aug 15, 2014
Bankers are greedy. Yes, alot of money is invested in formating banks, but they dont see how much profit is too much as the expense of poor people.
Bank echelon workers living big, no matter how many they are, have flashy cars, bag millions every month, nlive in flamboyant houses and gets unlimited freebies like petrol n d rest.
Yet they see maintaing of ATM machines a big deal, so they dont cut off dier fat take home pay.

First bank is the worst, out of 4 ATM machines, only 1 will be allowed to work, so that they would be a long queue and people will dread coming to the ATM to make witdrawals.
How much is used to maintain this ATm machines sef, apart from the contract staff dey employ and the cost of inverter n battries that last for months, what else,
Greedy peole need 65 naira from lets say 1000 peope a day, 65,000 a day, x 30 days. Almost 2 million naira, they dont maintain more than 5 staff on atm collecting about 60k/month.
Well atleats they say its a charge for forth withdrawal, i cant witdraw more than 2wice a day anyways. Mtchewww.
Re: We’ve Not Reintroduced ATM Charges —CBN by egopersonified(f): 10:16am On Aug 15, 2014
Correct me if i'm wrong, but I think some banks used to charge N100 per month, while others charged per withdrawal. How did those that charged monthly pay for this N65 then?

1 Like

Re: We’ve Not Reintroduced ATM Charges —CBN by Firefire(m): 10:24am On Aug 15, 2014
ok
Re: We’ve Not Reintroduced ATM Charges —CBN by Liability(m): 10:29am On Aug 15, 2014
accessbank please stop sending unnecessary message to me.

Am tired!
Re: We’ve Not Reintroduced ATM Charges —CBN by adedayourt(m): 10:29am On Aug 15, 2014
Foolish people foolishing themselves since 1960
Re: We’ve Not Reintroduced ATM Charges —CBN by Joshuadon: 10:32am On Aug 15, 2014
really zo who z dis person carrying false news all about
Re: We’ve Not Reintroduced ATM Charges —CBN by Nobody: 10:32am On Aug 15, 2014
Why is it that majority of Nigerians find it difficult to read?So easy to just read headline and start raining abuses on persons and institutions.

I personally think this is a good move by CBN. If you withdraw more than 3times a day, then you need to get more organised, plan your day and spendings. Everyone gets into business to make profit.

By the way, if you think N65 is too much price to pay for the convinience, keep your money in a potty under your bed. Shikena!

1 Like

Re: We’ve Not Reintroduced ATM Charges —CBN by Shehucom(m): 10:34am On Aug 15, 2014
Well, what can i say FAIR ENOUGH

1 Like

Re: We’ve Not Reintroduced ATM Charges —CBN by sirjohnson(m): 10:35am On Aug 15, 2014
So who started this shenanigans
Re: We’ve Not Reintroduced ATM Charges —CBN by MizMyColi(f): 10:36am On Aug 15, 2014
Vanguard? angry

Please link me to another source carrying this story?
Re: We’ve Not Reintroduced ATM Charges —CBN by Nobody: 10:37am On Aug 15, 2014
Too much grammar

are charging any money?

yes or no??
Re: We’ve Not Reintroduced ATM Charges —CBN by mployer(m): 10:38am On Aug 15, 2014
egopersonified: Correct me if i'm wrong, but I think some banks used to charge N100 per month, while others charged per withdrawal. How did those that charged monthly pay for this N65 then?
I think they started charging N100 per month after the N100 per withdrawal was stopped.
I wonder if they are going to continue with that considering the re-introduction of withdrawal charges.
Re: We’ve Not Reintroduced ATM Charges —CBN by Azedplus(m): 10:39am On Aug 15, 2014
trust Nigeria policy makers will always come up with a defense for their bad & inconsistent policies, knowing fully well that I can't withdraw a #35,000 but twice ( a limitation on how many withdrawal I can make) so why say people make multiple withdrawal when u don't allow me withdraw my 50k at once. Bull.shit

5 Likes

Re: We’ve Not Reintroduced ATM Charges —CBN by Nobody: 10:44am On Aug 15, 2014
put the blame on GEJ
Re: We’ve Not Reintroduced ATM Charges —CBN by truth4meal(m): 10:44am On Aug 15, 2014
whoever made this useless and greedy policy just made Sanusi a hero...

2 Likes

Re: We’ve Not Reintroduced ATM Charges —CBN by johnjay4u2u(m): 10:48am On Aug 15, 2014
okay
Re: We’ve Not Reintroduced ATM Charges —CBN by Aromas: 10:48am On Aug 15, 2014
truth4meal: whoever made this useless and greedy policy just made Sanusi a hero...

1 Like

Re: We’ve Not Reintroduced ATM Charges —CBN by valmunich(m): 10:49am On Aug 15, 2014
Bluetooth2:

Do you always have to 'regionalize' everything? What happened to one Nigeria? SMH

(1) (2)

Nigeria’s Economy To Grow By 0.8% In 2017 -IMF / Please I Need Help With Venmo / Can I Deposit Check Into My Savings Acct In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.