Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,748 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:56 PM

Nano-silver Nigerian Ebola Drug Is A Pesticide- US - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nano-silver Nigerian Ebola Drug Is A Pesticide- US (79275 Views)

WHO Blames Pesticide For ‘mysterious Deaths’ In Nigerian Town / The Rejected Nigerian Ebola Soldier (A Premium Times Investigative Report) / First Nigerian Ebola Survivor Not Treated With "Nano Silver" - Health Minister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nano-silver Nigerian Ebola Drug Is A Pesticide- US by sartorius(m): 10:29am On Aug 15, 2014
By Toni Clarke

(Reuters) - The U.S. Food and Drug Administration said on Thursday it has become aware of products being sold online that fraudulently claim to prevent or treat Ebola.

The FDA's warning comes on the heels of comments by Nigeria's top health official, Onyebuchi Chukwu, who reportedly said earlier Thursday that eight Ebola patients in Lagos, the country's capital, will receive an experimental treatment called nano-silver.

Erica Jefferson, a spokeswoman for the FDA, said she could not provide any information about the product referenced by the Nigerians.

The FDA did not specify any products in its warning.

Silver has been used as an antibacterial for centuries. Tiny silver particles known as nano-silver have controversially been incorporated into a variety of consumer products such as socks and bedding to help block odors caused by bacteria and mold.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency considers nano-silver a pesticide. Manufacturers of products that contain it must register them with the agency.

http://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/idUKKBN0GE2GD20140814?irpc=932 Nano-silver is also sometimes sold online as a dietary supplement even though Danish researchers found in a recent study that nano-silver can penetrate and damage cells.

The FDA regulates dietary supplements and said in its statement that "by law, dietary supplements cannot claim to prevent or cure disease."

The agency said it had received consumer complaints about the Ebola claims.

"Individuals promoting these unapproved and fraudulent products must take immediate action to correct or remove these claims or face potential FDA action," the agency said.

The Ebola outbreak ravaging West Africa has claimed 1,069 lives so far. Most have been in Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia. Nigeria has confirmed 10 cases of the disease and four deaths.

5 Likes

Re: Nano-silver Nigerian Ebola Drug Is A Pesticide- US by cirmuell(m): 10:49am On Aug 15, 2014
Give us Ur serum, you refused. We came up with a 'likely' cure you're whining again...for petes sake what really do the US govt want? undecided

405 Likes

Re: Nano-silver Nigerian Ebola Drug Is A Pesticide- US by Sunkyphil(m): 10:57am On Aug 15, 2014
cirmuell: Give us Ur serum, you refused. We came up with a 'likely' cure you're whining again...for petes sake what really do the US govt want? undecided
dnt mind dem na because say na nigerian develop am dats y

147 Likes

Re: Nano-silver Nigerian Ebola Drug Is A Pesticide- US by Sleekydee(m): 11:03am On Aug 15, 2014
idiotic odoferious pple....oya give us Mzapp na...bloody bascard..

78 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nano-silver Nigerian Ebola Drug Is A Pesticide- US by Nobody: 11:07am On Aug 15, 2014
US IS BEHIND EBOLA OUT-BREAK IN AFRICA.

252 Likes

Re: Nano-silver Nigerian Ebola Drug Is A Pesticide- US by Nobody: 11:08am On Aug 15, 2014
cirmuell: ...for petes sake what really do the US govt want? undecided
Mass death I guess undecided

I guess Jonathan just doesn't have the personality and carriage of leaders to be reckeoned with, or why would naija be denied of foreign aides in terms of drugs and other supplies? If it's necessary, guy better go and beg, cap in hand, so that naija doesn't lose out.

3 Likes

Re: Nano-silver Nigerian Ebola Drug Is A Pesticide- US by cirmuell(m): 11:19am On Aug 15, 2014
candy:
Mass death I guess undecided

I guess Jonathan just doesn't have the personality and carriage of leaders to be reckeoned with, or why would naija be denied of foreign aides in terms of drugs and other supplies? If it's necessary, guy better go and beg, cap in hand, so that naija doesn't lose out.
and your point is what?
They are quick to ridicule this drug...
*. Thier Senators petition Obama to cut aids 'cause of gay law
*. Obama left us out of some security aid ish citing some human right abuse ish.
*. We requested for Zmapp, dude said it's not yet ripe for Africa yet went right ahead to send it to Liberia within days...what the phuck is that to you, huh?
What do they really want, when will they start realizing that they can't actually control the world or how things run?

134 Likes

Re: Nano-silver Nigerian Ebola Drug Is A Pesticide- US by SmooshCHN: 11:20am On Aug 15, 2014
I think I'm the only one thinking this Ebola issue is a plot.

82 Likes

Re: Nano-silver Nigerian Ebola Drug Is A Pesticide- US by montelik(m): 11:23am On Aug 15, 2014
Abeg. Didn't they lead the effort to impose a worldwide ban on DDT which was being successfully used to prevent malaria. Now we know DDT was nowhere near as harmful as the scare mongers initially claimed. But unfortunately malaria has now established a vice grip on Africa and we are still being ravaged by the scourge of malaria.

The various ministries of health and attending doctors in affected countries should make their own assessments on what sort of sample drugs to consider and use.

17 Likes

Re: Nano-silver Nigerian Ebola Drug Is A Pesticide- US by Nobody: 11:44am On Aug 15, 2014
Re: Nano-silver Nigerian Ebola Drug Is A Pesticide- US by Nobody: 11:45am On Aug 15, 2014
cirmuell: and your point is what?
My point is:The international community don't fancy us. However, we are still at their mercy and we either come up with our own cure fast or we go begging on our knees.

This is a desperate situation that calls for desperate measures on all angles. Our leaders can't afford to tow the ego line at this crucial time. Some valuable lives are at stake here.

BTW, what's up with the money naija recently contributed towards this ebola stuff days back? What really is it meant for? To find a cure- which naija won't benefit from? Or to get medical aids for those countries? - aids that we need desperately ourselves!

#still I pray for God's intervention#

7 Likes

Re: Nano-silver Nigerian Ebola Drug Is A Pesticide- US by harrwix(m): 11:45am On Aug 15, 2014
Ebola or the drug for treatment....America knows

4 Likes

Re: Nano-silver Nigerian Ebola Drug Is A Pesticide- US by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 12:43pm On Aug 15, 2014
Now, this is embarrassing.

11 Likes

Re: Nano-silver Nigerian Ebola Drug Is A Pesticide- US by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 12:50pm On Aug 15, 2014
Map BioPharma have agreed to release their Experimental drug (ZMapp) to Africans, what has stopped our President and the Minister of Health from contacting Them for the Experimental drugs (Supporting them financially). This embarrassment with this Nano Silver issue shows the height of incompetency in our health Ministry.

Even if they wanted to test it, it should have been in secret with top health researchers. This Minister of Health must go. He has been a total failure.

57 Likes

Re: Nano-silver Nigerian Ebola Drug Is A Pesticide- US by Donkaz(m): 1:03pm On Aug 15, 2014
Hahaha...this got me laughing.

On a serious note,if it likes it should be insecticide sef.it should be tested,then it should be used. afterall the patients have nothing to lose.

America with their badbelle!

70 Likes

Re: Nano-silver Nigerian Ebola Drug Is A Pesticide- US by hollandis(f): 1:10pm On Aug 15, 2014
thegoodjoehunt3: Map BioPharma have agreed to release their Experimental drug (ZMapp) to Africans, what has stopped our President and the Minister of Health from contacting Them for the Experimental drugs (Supporting them financially). This embarrassment with this Nano Silver issue shows the height of incompetency in our health Ministry.

Even if they wanted to test it, it should have been in secret with top health researchers. This Minister of Health must go. He has been a total failure.

Did you not hear that America said they will not give the vaccine to Nigeria?

70 Likes

Re: Nano-silver Nigerian Ebola Drug Is A Pesticide- US by Nobody: 1:15pm On Aug 15, 2014
emmydeep: US IS BEHIND EBOLA OUT-BREAK IN AFRICA.
Having thought of how much meat stock a bat's got, I'm almost beleiving this... angry

23 Likes

Re: Nano-silver Nigerian Ebola Drug Is A Pesticide- US by Nobody: 1:16pm On Aug 15, 2014
can you imagine, lagos, nigeria's capital? these people know nothing about us

57 Likes

Re: Nano-silver Nigerian Ebola Drug Is A Pesticide- US by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 1:16pm On Aug 15, 2014
hollandis:

There was a meeting at WHO with the American government about this issue of ethical use of an experimental drug in a time of crisis.

It was agreed that the drugs should be used. The drugs were released to Spain and Liberia free of charge. BioPharma complained of running out of stock (I believe the financial cost was too high for them to produce and distribute in Africa).

Now they have agreed to distribute, we can not use the fact they refused earlier based on ethical grounds not to go for the drug. Our government and the ministry of health should have also contacted Tekmira for their own experimental drug (TKM-Ebola) and FujiFilm for their own instead of this embarrassing stunt.

19 Likes

Re: Nano-silver Nigerian Ebola Drug Is A Pesticide- US by Eeser: 1:19pm On Aug 15, 2014
Pesticide or not, we go still use am. At least the virus will still kill people anyway. There is definitely no harm in trying.

34 Likes

Re: Nano-silver Nigerian Ebola Drug Is A Pesticide- US by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 1:21pm On Aug 15, 2014
hollandis:

The World Health Organization endorsed the use of untested experimental drugs for Ebola patients on Tuesday, hours after a Spanish priest died of the virus and the outbreak’s death toll in West Africa passed 1,000.

An ethics panel ruled that the drugs, which have not yet passed clinical trials but have shown early promise in combating the virus, could provide a “potent asset” in the battle to contain the epidemic, which it called the “most severe and most complex outbreak of Ebola virus disease in history.”

http://time.com/3103223/world-health-organization-ebola-africa/

9 Likes

Re: Nano-silver Nigerian Ebola Drug Is A Pesticide- US by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 1:22pm On Aug 15, 2014
hollandis:

I think our government and the health ministry wants it free of charge. I wonder what the 1.9 billion naira released by President Goodluck Jonathan is for.

13 Likes

Re: Nano-silver Nigerian Ebola Drug Is A Pesticide- US by Kx: 1:28pm On Aug 15, 2014
The youtube video below says WHO, FDA and USA ARE not saying the truth.
It strongly affirms that Ebola is curable only with the same much alligned NANO SILVER.
Na oyibo talk am o.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7wNfRCuOZE

43 Likes

Re: Nano-silver Nigerian Ebola Drug Is A Pesticide- US by hollandis(f): 2:05pm On Aug 15, 2014
thegoodjoehunt3: There was a meeting at WHO with the American government about this issue of ethical use of an experimental drug in a time of crisis.

It was agreed that the drugs should be used. The drugs was then released to Spain and Liberia free of charge. BioPharma complained of running out of stock (I believe the financial cost was too high for them to produce and distribute in Africa).

Now they have agreed to distribute, we can not use the fact they refused earlier based on ethical grounds not to go for the drug. Our government and the ministry of health should have also contacted Tekmira for their own experimental drug (TKM-Ebola) and FujiFilm for their own instead of this embarrassing stunt.
These are things I hate .Sawyer is a US citizen.He infected Nigerians because I am sure he used his US showmanship passport citizenry to force hsi way into Nigeria.He should have been shot at the airport .Now why are they preventing the vaccine to come into Nigeria before t=it reaches a pandemic .THATS SO SILLY

40 Likes

Re: Nano-silver Nigerian Ebola Drug Is A Pesticide- US by Youngzedd(m): 2:07pm On Aug 15, 2014
USA

Hehehe

God is watching in HD

7 Likes

Re: Nano-silver Nigerian Ebola Drug Is A Pesticide- US by hollandis(f): 2:08pm On Aug 15, 2014
thegoodjoehunt3: I think our government and the health ministry wants it free of charge. I wonder what the 1.9 billion naira released by President Goodluck Jonathan is for.
Why shouldnt they want it free of charge ?Is that a crime .These guys are killing people in the name of hoarding vaccines.Are you blind to see there is racism involved ,because Nigeria is a black country and Africannnn? Dont you understand ? Did WHO meet to vaccinate the 2 americans and the spanish priest.You know it i Nigerians that kill each other right .You know the truth ,but a blindness whether intentional or not,makes you fold your hands and arms and notnsee the reality

41 Likes

Re: Nano-silver Nigerian Ebola Drug Is A Pesticide- US by Amhappy(f): 2:16pm On Aug 15, 2014
Pesticide Ke? Ok let Nafdac test it first before they use it and let them not use it on all of them at once. Also they should give it to a critical patient instead of the stable ones. From the report i dont think all nanosilver are the same. The one sold online may not necessary be the same the nigerian scientist packaged. They can also get doses of TKM-ebola for trial.

4 Likes

Re: Nano-silver Nigerian Ebola Drug Is A Pesticide- US by phantom(m): 2:51pm On Aug 15, 2014
.......as usual Nigerians miss the point entirely and have gone on with their conspiracy theories.
I weep for my country!

36 Likes

Re: Nano-silver Nigerian Ebola Drug Is A Pesticide- US by Ariyke: 3:37pm On Aug 15, 2014
Pesticide abi Give urs ur serum u no gree we wan get another fear of money wey una go lose dey do u mtcheww yeye people

3 Likes

Re: Nano-silver Nigerian Ebola Drug Is A Pesticide- US by Nobody: 3:59pm On Aug 15, 2014
Bleep America, Bleep the FDA and Bleep the west in total and all those Nigerians and nairalnders who always kill their own.

this biological terrorism has failed just like their attempt to topple the Nigerian govt in the name of chibok girls rescue.

were is all the promised help and propaganda, what could they do when they got here if not pass bucks.

we are going to solve our problem our way.

when i was a kid, my mama use to cover me or my siblings with cloth while a bucket of different kind of cooked agbo is under the same cloth, heating my system and all trace of fever. i never visited the hospital till i went to campus

today BMH and their doctors are feeling funky because i feel mamas way is achaic and primitive, why becuase the west say so.

tell them we have NAFDAC and if they certitify the drug to be ok for consumtion , be it pesticide, herbicide or insectide should not be their problem

81 Likes

Re: Nano-silver Nigerian Ebola Drug Is A Pesticide- US by Sibrah: 4:15pm On Aug 15, 2014
Pesticide . . . . Lol!
Half of Nigerian honey sold is pesticide-spiced sugarcane extract anyway. . . As long as the ebola is dead no problem.
. . .
The pesticide helps in driving ants away and thereby giving buyers the impression that it natural honey

19 Likes

Re: Nano-silver Nigerian Ebola Drug Is A Pesticide- US by hardbody: 4:17pm On Aug 15, 2014
cirmuell: Give us Ur serum, you refused. We came up with a 'likely' cure you're whining again...for petes sake what really do the US govt want? undecided

They want to sell their sanitizers. They have realized that HIV/AIDS is no longer in vogue, they shot this bacterial infection into teh air and are now making money selling sanitizers to Africans. In that circumstance, any claim that there is another solution will be aggressively challenged. God punish bad people.

They had earlier made a whole lot of noise about helping us find our girls abducted by 'their creation', Shekau. Today, we have neither heard from nor seen the girls. These Americans sha......

One thing i know..........

Dia is God somewhere.....

18 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

How to cure darkspots on the face left from pimples / 81-Year-Old Russian Grandma Comes Back To Life 7Hours After Being Declared Dead / Ene, Emaciated Lady In Ajah Is Rehabilitated (New Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.