Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,436 members, 7,815,987 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:51 PM

Are Visa Interviews This Easy? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Are Visa Interviews This Easy? (1355 Views)

UK Plans More Visa Interviews For Students / The Following Countries Are Visa-free For Nigerian Passport Holders / Which Countries Are Visa-Free To Nigeria Citizens? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Visa Interviews This Easy? by megastu(m): 5:05pm On Oct 21, 2008
Visa Applicant (VA): Goodmorning Ma am, how are you today? my name is , and i am here for a visa interview

Visa Officer(VO): Morning, can i have your payment, and can your wife and child go outside (I still kept my calm)

VO: Why do you want to go abroad

VA: To relax, Spend time with my wife, alone, and also buy a few things. all these people that go abroad, they come and inflate the prices of things, so that's why i decided to wait till whenever i will travel,again, then i will go and buy things myself, cheeeeeppppp.

VO: You will hear from us in 15days. Please give me your other documents.

VA: Have a good day, and remember, always keep a smile, it helps the skin.

Meanwhile, the person interviewing my wife was firing questions and she fired back with intelligent, pristine answers.

I think dressing well, looking clean, smart and being intelligent helps a lot in visa applications. Those visa guys watch out for naive, dull people. A guy was being battered with questions and was answering jargon.He first said he went to Unilag, later he said Ife, they asked who the VC of his School was, he couldn't.

I sent a mail after 9 days to ask for visa status and they said it had been granted after 4 days.

Guys, be bold and try not to be intimidated during visa interviews.
Re: Are Visa Interviews This Easy? by LondonCool(m): 6:58pm On Oct 21, 2008
Re: Are Visa Interviews This Easy? by brownbonno(m): 7:32pm On Oct 21, 2008
LondonCool:

I have seen ECO remarks such as "the applicant is quite knowledgeable" "the applicant is quite eloquent", "the applicant does seem quite intelligent",etc after interviews.

Glad to hear the some ECOs do acknowledge other people;s intelligence.
I have recently fired a case to Franco Frattini(European Commissioner  for Justice, Freedom and Security) on some unintelligent flaws by ECO and his ECM who are just been engrossed by their interpretations of the immigration rules.
Re: Are Visa Interviews This Easy? by megastu(m): 2:54pm On Oct 22, 2008
Brownbonno, this is very good. I think we should be proactive in dealing with these foreign visa officers. Whenever they do well, they should be commended and wherever they goof, we should also petition higher authorities. Well done.
Re: Are Visa Interviews This Easy? by LeMoor(m): 6:14pm On Oct 22, 2008
LondonCool:

I have seen ECO remarks such as "the applicant is quite knowledgeable" "the applicant is quite eloquent", "the applicant does seem quite intelligent",etc after interviews.

Are these really compliments? Or demeaning comments? Why should the eloquence or intelligence of a Nigerian be worthy of mention? If it wasn't disproving some pre-conceived notion of the contrary,
Re: Are Visa Interviews This Easy? by megastu(m): 4:49pm On Oct 23, 2008
Lemoor, let me make this comment. We, Nigerians, have demeaned ourselves so bad, and the majority of people who go to apply for visas have no business at the embassy gates.\

Take this example

1. Someone said he attended University and does not know the name of his V.C

2. Some people apply to go for conferences, and during interviews, do not even know what they are going for.

3. A highly placed embassy staff once told me that some people come to apply for masters and cannot even fill simple application forms.

4. The worst, i have heard, was a student with admission to a school in belfast, upon getting to immigration at heathrow, was asked where he was going to live, he said dagenham, and he would be going to school from there daily.
Infact the immigration officer did not waste time in returning the guy back to Nigeria.

Haba, Le Moor, you now see why, they can make that compliment when they see Intelligent Nigerians.

I was at gatwick one time, and immigration officer was asking me all sort of questions, and i cut him short by saying he should not bother with the questions, that i do not intend to immigrate illegally, and even if i had the chance to migrate legally, i wouldn't come and live in U.K, because the rent for a year for one room in U.K is what i pay for my duplex with enough parking space in Nigeria. He just laughed and stamped me in.

We ought to be ready before we approach foreigners, in any dealings at all.

2 Likes

Re: Are Visa Interviews This Easy? by LondonCool(m): 5:23pm On Oct 23, 2008
Re: Are Visa Interviews This Easy? by realcool: 5:42pm On Oct 23, 2008
fine result to we should just say u are lucky and God is with you.u didn't tell as the embassy you visited
Re: Are Visa Interviews This Easy? by megastu(m): 9:11pm On Jul 24, 2019
How times have changed.

Does this still hold water in Nigeria now?
megastu:
Lemoor, let me make this comment. We, Nigerians, have demeaned ourselves so bad, and the majority of people who go to apply for visas have no business at the embassy gates.\

Take this example

1. Someone said he attended University and does not know the name of his V.C

2. Some people apply to go for conferences, and during interviews, do not even know what they are going for.

3. A highly placed embassy staff once told me that some people come to apply for masters and cannot even fill simple application forms.

4. The worst, i have heard, was a student with admission to a school in belfast, upon getting to immigration at heathrow, was asked where he was going to live, he said dagenham, and he would be going to school from there daily.
Infact the immigration officer did not waste time in returning the guy back to Nigeria.

Haba, Le Moor, you now see why, they can make that compliment when they see Intelligent Nigerians.

I was at gatwick one time, and immigration officer was asking me all sort of questions, and i cut him short by saying he should not bother with the questions, that i do not intend to immigrate illegally, and even if i had the chance to migrate legally, i wouldn't come and live in U.K, because the rent for a year for one room in U.K is what i pay for my duplex with enough parking space in Nigeria. He just laughed and stamped me in.

We ought to be ready before we approach foreigners, in any dealings at all.
Re: Are Visa Interviews This Easy? by Nobody: 6:36am On Jul 25, 2019
Embassy of Burkina Faso

(1) (Reply)

MAN TO MAN HAVING SEX / American Life / Favourable Country In Europe That Don't Discriminate Against Black

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.