Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,637 members, 7,809,391 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:42 AM

Unilag-made Car Emerges Third Best In World Competition - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Unilag-made Car Emerges Third Best In World Competition (51119 Views)

Oreoluwa Emerges Unilorin’s Best With 4.92 Cgpa / 7 Reasons Why “average" Students Will Be The Most Successful People In World / Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Unilag-made Car Emerges Third Best In World Competition by Mathematical(f): 2:42pm On Aug 17, 2014
mcpat: This news is false, not all of it though... Shell NG sponsored three Federal institution to the Shell Eco Marathon 2014.. The aim of the competition is to find the car that would cover the longest distance using 1 litre of fuel.. The three teams included Uniben(ECO-TUKETUKE), Unilag(AUTONOV II) and ABU(could not finish thier car before the deadline)... Unibens car was the first african car to be certified while autonov was cleared for the race the next day.. NO AFRICAN TEAM WAS IN THE FIRST TEN . The first three were all french schools... So OP which competition did unilag emerge third?

.......YEA VERY CANDID... YOU'RE RIGHT... PLEASE OP.. NEWS IS VITAL BUT FEEDING NAIRALANDERS WITH SELF EDITED NEWS IS REALLY ANNOYING... ...MISINFORMATION IS DOING LOTS OF WRONG IN OUR SOCIETY... WE (A.B.U)DIDN'T MEET THE DEADLINE DATE ..BUT AM SO GLAD OTHERS MAKE NIGERIAN PROUD...

NO OFFENCE MEANT
Re: Unilag-made Car Emerges Third Best In World Competition by Ayo25: 2:43pm On Aug 17, 2014
University of First Choice doing it again.... Proud Akokite.

1 Like

Re: Unilag-made Car Emerges Third Best In World Competition by Mathematical(f): 2:45pm On Aug 17, 2014
mcpat: This news is false, not all of it though... Shell NG sponsored three Federal institution to the Shell Eco Marathon 2014.. The aim of the competition is to find the car that would cover the longest distance using 1 litre of fuel.. The three teams included Uniben(ECO-TUKETUKE), Unilag(AUTONOV II) and ABU(could not finish thier car before the deadline)... Unibens car was the first african car to be certified while autonov was cleared for the race the next day.. NO AFRICAN TEAM WAS IN THE FIRST TEN . The first three were all french schools... So OP which competition did unilag emerge third?

.......YEA VERY CANDID... YOU'RE RIGHT... PLEASE OP.. NEWS IS VITAL BUT FEEDING NAIRALANDERS WITH SELF EDITED NEWS IS REALLY ANNOYING... ...MISINFORMATION IS DOING LOTS OF WRONG IN OUR SOCIETY... WE (A.B.U)DIDN'T MEET THE DEADLINE DATE ..BUT AM SO GLAD OTHERS MAKE NIGERIAN PROUD...
Re: Unilag-made Car Emerges Third Best In World Competition by F117A: 2:46pm On Aug 17, 2014
room089: Congrats my compatriot!
God bless Nigeria!

But wait o!
America say no be car be dat o, but a metal box! grin grin
Keep waiting for the US to validate your product.
Go and ask china to tell you the level of high scale propaganda that the US has been unleashing against chinese technology.
If not for communism,china would have been susceptible.
Nigeria has not seen anything.

2 Likes

Re: Unilag-made Car Emerges Third Best In World Competition by jajajaja828: 2:51pm On Aug 17, 2014
bajeen: It might be unthinkable, yet it did happen. The University of Lagos community developed a racing car which beat many competitors at a global automobile competition

It is a racing car! It is one that may not be too common in this part of the world but was conceived, developed and put to test here and abroad. Known as Autonov II, the racing car is a brainchild of staff and students of the University of Lagos (UNILAG) and has competed for, and gained fame on the global automobile stage.
Former Minister of Information, who is now Chairman, Governing Council of UNILAG, Prof. Jerry Gana was on a visit to the institution recently. And for the management, there could not have been a better time to showcase the school’s inherent potentials. In this regard, Autonov II, UNILAG’s latest exploit in science and technology came handy.
Fuel-efficient and electronically-powered, the design, fabrication and running of Autonov II had been funded solely by Shell Petroleum Plc. The racing car had participated alongside automobile inventions from other 203 tertiary institutions across the world at a car racing competition in the Netherlands, emerging the third best overall.
Twenty students and lecturers of the school were said to have done the bulk of the work on Autonov II. From the Department of Mechanical Engineering to those of Creative Arts, Physics, Mass Communication, Electrical/Electronic and Architecture, the students were assembled and after a two-month intensive exercise, Autonov II was developed.
“We started by building the skill-set we needed. We built the designs, the fraction, the china system and the body, among others and those who could integrate all of these together did. Of course, this has to be carried out by the students. When we finished, we selected the team we wanted. What we did was to advertise and ask that students who possess various skills we needed should indicate by applying. We interviewed them and selected a team of 20 students which we later pruned,” Prof. Ikem Owete, leader of the team that manufactured Autonov II narrated.
The team leaders thereafter asked the selected students to work differently. The mechanical group worked on the frame. The material team worked on the body. The Creative Art student is a sculptor who constructed the body himself. Students from electrical engineering worked on the electrical and electronic control. The team, Prof Owete recalled, had some challenges with the control a day before the competition. The car simply stopped working. But by some “miraculous intervention,” it later began to work.
“One thing I can tell you was that these students from Electrical Engineering made their own PCVs (positive crankcase ventilation, an automotive-emission control valve that recirculates gases through the combustion chambers to permit more complete combustion) manually without a machine. They got the chemical, the drawing on the computer, the components and made the transfer to the PCVs all on their own. Initially, we wanted to get an outsider for this but they came to me and said, ‘Sir, we can do it’ and I said to them, ‘Go ahead and do it. If you don’t try, you can’t succeed.’ And they did. I am very proud of them. You really need to see their performance,” Owete said.
UNILAG was not the only Nigerian tertiary institution that made it to the racing competition. University of Benin (UNIBEN) also did. But while the UNIBEN invention could not make it to the track, UNILAG’s Autonov II did. And out of the 203 schools that competed, UNILAG was the only one from Africa, aside the two others that came from Morocco.
“Our utmost aim and objective right from the first day was how we would pass the rigorous tests and get Autonov II on the track. We had our major scare when we got to the competition and were about to participate when one of our wheels buckled for the first time. This happened a day to the time we were to have our first test. We had not had any test prior to that time. But our team spirit and determination prevailed; we took the car to the welding shop and the wheel and every other thing were fixed. Thereafter, we went for the four-stage test and we passed,” Victoria Olakanmi, a 400-level Physics student who played a role in fixing the car’s electrical lightings and also acted as the reserve driver said.
Olakanmi said being the only black Africans among the competitors, they were really not given any chance by many of their rivals and spectators, especially since they were observers at the competition last year. “Many of our rivals brought big and high-powered equipment to the competition, but we dazed them when we emerged third best overall,” she said.
For the university’s Vice Chancellor, Prof. Abdulrahman Bello, if anything, that remarkable feat has placed UNILAG on a global pedestal. “I feel vindicated and elated. I have always said the education we give at the UNILAG is second to none. We have what it takes to always excel and we also have all the professionals that can perform feats. That was exactly what our students and members of academic staff have shown. We can vouch for our graduates at every point in time. I am very happy this is happening when I am here,” Prof. Bello said.
Asked to comment on the issue of sustainability, the Vice Chancellor reminded everyone that this would not be the first time the school would be manufacturing a car. A former lecturer of the school, the late Prof. Awojobi was reputed to have single-handedly manufactured a car named Autonov. The VC said it was in the quest to key into that line of innovation that made the school call the latest invention Autonov II. He added that the two cars will be placed in the university’s prospective museum.
Based on its feat at the Netherlands, the UNILAG has been invited to participate in a similar competition coming up in Cape Town, South Africa in October. The school expects to have developed another car before then for the competition.
Prof. Gana expressed delight over the manufacturing of Autonov II and assured UNILAG’s authorities of government’s interest in developing the innate potential of every student there and, indeed, that of every Nigerian student.

SOURCE : http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/sunday/index.php/business/17800-how-made-in-unilag-car-defeated-world-powers
Re: Unilag-made Car Emerges Third Best In World Competition by jajajaja828: 2:52pm On Aug 17, 2014
Nigeria employers that always said that Nigeria Graduates are not employable should here this.

1 Like

Re: Unilag-made Car Emerges Third Best In World Competition by Orikinla(m): 2:53pm On Aug 17, 2014
NO PICTURE, NO STORY IN NEWS REPORTING.

The journalists are id-iots.

1 Like

Re: Unilag-made Car Emerges Third Best In World Competition by dejavski(m): 2:55pm On Aug 17, 2014
mastercee: Always representing! Greatest Akokites

Le Alma Mata smiley smiley

1 Like

Re: Unilag-made Car Emerges Third Best In World Competition by emiye(m): 2:56pm On Aug 17, 2014
I can see smoke chimney Prof Mowete .

Kudos to the student. Nostalgic feeling cool

1 Like

Re: Unilag-made Car Emerges Third Best In World Competition by Alusiagulu: 2:56pm On Aug 17, 2014
Wia the piishu nah? Una for show us d tin make we see example take start our own. Come oooo, Adaobi bring tissue for me I dey for our neibour latrin
Re: Unilag-made Car Emerges Third Best In World Competition by Nogen: 2:58pm On Aug 17, 2014
Greatest of the Greatest Akokites. We represent wherever we go and simply sparkle like diamonds. Thank you guys for making us, Nigeria and Africa proud. God bless. Keep the flag flying!

1 Like

Re: Unilag-made Car Emerges Third Best In World Competition by bajeen(m): 2:59pm On Aug 17, 2014
Mathematical:

NO OFFENCE MEANT
ABU still has a chance to develop hers . I can confirm to you that the guys are developing theirs. We hope they record success also. The UNIBEN team can also improve on thir design also. UP 9ja

2 Likes

Re: Unilag-made Car Emerges Third Best In World Competition by jsunex(m): 3:00pm On Aug 17, 2014
Lordseyad:

Advertisement!!!

This Space is for sale!!

Nah how much
Re: Unilag-made Car Emerges Third Best In World Competition by Nobody: 3:01pm On Aug 17, 2014
These are the results of the competition, I Didn't see any team Unilag or Nigeria there.
www.shell.com/global/environment-society/ecomarathon/events/europe/results.html

1 Like

Re: Unilag-made Car Emerges Third Best In World Competition by ElFenomeno1: 3:01pm On Aug 17, 2014
Impressive. Well done guys.
Re: Unilag-made Car Emerges Third Best In World Competition by Nobody: 3:02pm On Aug 17, 2014
When we celebrate half baked schemes, we cannot hope to catapult ourselves to our place in the world.

Nigeria, I continue to weep for us.

With our vast resource and support from Shell, why are we not able to do better than this? We are comparing ourselves to ordinary Morocco?

1 Like

Re: Unilag-made Car Emerges Third Best In World Competition by basty: 3:02pm On Aug 17, 2014
Illuminatus: This article should come with a link.

What link is dullard like you looking for?
Re: Unilag-made Car Emerges Third Best In World Competition by ayquad(m): 3:04pm On Aug 17, 2014
crisycent: No pic? Abi na drawing board stage e dey?

@crisycent, Dat was exactly my thought....
Re: Unilag-made Car Emerges Third Best In World Competition by Mathematical(f): 3:05pm On Aug 17, 2014
bajeen:
ABU still has a chance to develop hers . I can confirm to you that the guys are developing theirs. We hope they record success also. The UNIBEN team can also improve on thir design also. UP 9ja

YEAH.. THATS TRUE...
Re: Unilag-made Car Emerges Third Best In World Competition by Orikinla(m): 3:09pm On Aug 17, 2014
This is the video of the only ANTONOV 11 I know. And it is an aircraft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjQB-aKUsd0
Re: Unilag-made Car Emerges Third Best In World Competition by romeo(m): 3:10pm On Aug 17, 2014
LIES LIES LIES. DailyTrust is filled with illiterates. It took me just 5 minutes to find out that this news is all lies.

http://www.shell.com/global/environment-society/ecomarathon/events/europe/results.html

1 Like

Re: Unilag-made Car Emerges Third Best In World Competition by Feraz(m): 3:16pm On Aug 17, 2014
Slight correction here...least fuel...but the rest, you're right.

Honestly, I was surprised when I saw it. I asked those from University of Benin that went for the competition and they said no Nigerian team made the first 10, that is was a University in France that emerged overall champion; so how did this come about?

1 Like

Re: Unilag-made Car Emerges Third Best In World Competition by Feraz(m): 3:18pm On Aug 17, 2014
mcpat:
yes its true... The next competition will come up by january.. TeamUniben already working on our next car
E be like say na University of Benin you dey. Were you part of the first team that went for the competition? I'm thinking of joining this team albeit not a core member. wink
Re: Unilag-made Car Emerges Third Best In World Competition by Nobody: 3:21pm On Aug 17, 2014
The journalist who wrote this article is an idiot.
Re: Unilag-made Car Emerges Third Best In World Competition by UjSizzle(f): 3:22pm On Aug 17, 2014
What's with our Press giving half baked stories? undecided
Turns out Shell gave awards for different categories both Off-track and On-track--further sub grouped into Prototype and UrbanConcept awards.

So in which of these categories exactly did Unilag take third place? And why is it so difficult for DailyTrust to give us the full rather than sketchy misleading details of what we're supposed to be celebrating?

Nigerians really need to apply a level of professional skepticism before someone sells us in this country. You shouldn't jump to accept everything you read and hear without due confirmation.

1 Like

Re: Unilag-made Car Emerges Third Best In World Competition by Nobody: 3:26pm On Aug 17, 2014
I'm still confused.

Is this an electric vehicle or internal combustion engine powered?

I thought it will be electric but then they mention decreasing an EGR valve?
Re: Unilag-made Car Emerges Third Best In World Competition by jaybee3(m): 3:28pm On Aug 17, 2014
UjSizzle: What's with our Press giving half baked stories? undecided
Turns out Shell gave awards for different categories both Off-track and On-track--further sub grouped into Prototype and UrbanConcept awards.

So in which of these categories exactly did Unilag take third place? And why is it so difficult for DailyTrust to give us the full rather than sketchy misleading details of what we're supposed to be celebrating?

Nigerians really need to apply a level of professional skepticism before someone sells us in this country. You shouldn't jump to accept everything you read and hear without due confirmation.
Meanie
Re: Unilag-made Car Emerges Third Best In World Competition by Homguy(m): 3:41pm On Aug 17, 2014
Picture or this is just a propaganda to make Unilag the No.1 rated Uni in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Unilag-made Car Emerges Third Best In World Competition by haibe(m): 3:42pm On Aug 17, 2014
oyb: www.nairaland.com/attachments/1632759_unilag_jpegd0843daa5fe1bff2e35ec26e5dcd681d

God forgive me - the lecturer just looks like hes along for the ride and provided 0 input
hahaha a, don't say so oo, that's professor Mowete, he must have impacted a lot to the project.
Re: Unilag-made Car Emerges Third Best In World Competition by UjSizzle(f): 3:43pm On Aug 17, 2014
jaybee3:
Meanie
grin Hello darling

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Come And Collect Your Certificates! - University Of Benin Pleads / Comfort Ekaette Inyang, BABCOCK Best Student: I Never Had A Boyfriend On Campus / OAU Admission Saga: Aror Oghenerukewve Got 79.05% not 75.2%

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.