Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,506 members, 7,816,210 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:46 AM

Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking (26372 Views)

FG Probes 10 Varsities Over Fraud, Sex Scandals(see List)-daily Trust / 7 Nigerian Varsities Emerge For World Bank Sponsored Projects / Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by aloyemeka2: 9:59pm On Feb 16, 2010
Unilorin leads Nigerian varsities in world ranking
Written by Yekini Jimoh
Tuesday, February 16, 2010

THE University of Ilorin (Unilorin) has now occupied the top position among Nigerian universities, according to the latest ranking of the world universities in webometric ranking.

http://odili.net/news/source/2010/feb/16/617.html

The Vice-Chancellor of Unilorin, Professor Is-haq Oloyede, disclosed the position of the institution while being commended by the new Commander of the 227 Wing of the Nigerian Air Force, Air Commodore Peter Gbujie.

According to the 2010 webometric ranking result, which was released on February 10, the University of Ilorin, which ranked 77 in Africa last year and second to the University of Benin in Nigeria, now ranked 55 in Africa and first in Nigeria.

The 2010 results revealed the same pattern of the 2009, with only five Nigerian universities among the best 100 in Africa.

However, only the University of Ilorin was found among the best 6,000 world universities in the world as presented in the ranking.

The current ranking was considered a welcome development by stakeholders of the institution, though the university said it was set to be among the best 10 in Africa and one of the leading institutions in the world.
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by aloyemeka2: 10:29pm On Feb 16, 2010
Only if Becomerich will stop spoiling their name with map. tongue tongue
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by mekusxxx: 10:32pm On Feb 16, 2010
Best Nigerian university is only 77 out of 100 in Africa and 6000 globally? Oh! Nigeria where art thou sting? The giant has fallen.
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by volasunkan: 10:54pm On Feb 16, 2010
source pls!
the latest ranking is on www.4icu.org and unilorin is NOT EVEN IN THE FIRST 3!can you imagine a whole VC saying his skl is d best and left out the source!
i just hope this ranking fever that brought down the post-consoludotion banking ststem is not creeping into our already basterdised educational system.
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by AT1: 11:08pm On Feb 16, 2010
volasunkan:

source pls!
the latest ranking is on www.4icu.org and unilorin is NOT EVEN IN THE FIRST 3!can you imagine a whole VC saying his skl is d best and left out the source!
i just hope this ranking fever that brought down the post-consoludotion banking ststem is not creeping into our already basterdised educational system.

Imagine o! unilorin is number 4 on that list. whatever is the criteria for the ranking sef
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by Beaf: 11:16pm On Feb 16, 2010
1 Cairo University Egypt
2 University of Cape Town South Africa
3 Universiteit Stellenbosch South Africa
4 University of Pretoria South Africa
5 University of the Witwatersrand South Africa
6 Mansoura University Egypt
7 University of KwaZulu-Natal South Africa
8 University of Nairobi Kenya
9 Alexandria University Egypt
10 University of Dar es Salaam Tanzania
11 Université de Ouagadougou Burkina Faso
12 Université Mohammed V - Agdal Morocco
13 University of South Africa South Africa
14 Polytechnic of Namibia Namibia
15 University of the Western Cape South Africa
16 German University in Cairo Egypt
17 University of Johannesburg South Africa
18 Rhodes University South Africa
19 Cape Peninsula University of Technology South Africa
20 Zagazig University Egypt
21 University of Khartoum Sudan
22 Université Cadi Ayyad Morocco
23 University of Botswana Botswana
24 Tshwane University of Technology South Africa
25 Obafemi Awolowo University Nigeria
26 Assiut University Egypt
27 Université d'Alger Algeria
28 Makerere University Uganda
29 Université de la Reunion Reunion
30 Université de Batna Algeria
31 Universidade Eduardo Mondlane Mozambique
32 University of Ibadan Nigeria
33 University of Mauritius Mauritius
34 University of Ghana Ghana
35 Université Nationale du Rwanda Rwanda
36 University Cheikh Anta Diop of Dakar Senegal
37 Addis Ababa University Ethiopia
38 University of Zimbabwe Zimbabwe
39 University of Namibia Namibia
40 Kenyatta University Kenya
41 Minufiya University Egypt
42 University of Zambia Zambia
43 Université Ibn Zohr Morocco
44 Université Hassan II - Mohammedia Morocco
45 Sokoine University of Agriculture Tanzania
46 Université de Sousse Tunisia
47 Université de Tunis el Manar Tunisia
48 Université de Tunis Tunisia
49 Université de Sfax Tunisia
50 Uganda Martyrs University Uganda
51 University of Lagos Nigeria
52 The American University in Cairo Egypt
53 Ain Shams University Egypt
54 University of Ilorin Nigeria
55 Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University South Africa
56 University of the Free State South Africa
57 North-West University South Africa
58 Université Abou Bekr Belkaid Tlemcen Algeria
59 Mauritius Institute of Education Mauritius
60 Université des Sciences et de la Technologie "Houari Boumediène" Algeria
61 Institut International d’Ingénierie de l’Eau et de l’Environnement (2iE) Burkina Faso
62 University of Port Harcourt Nigeria
63 Central University of Technology South Africa
64 Sudan University for Science and Technology Sudan
65 Université d'Oran Algeria
66 Durban University of Technology South Africa
67 Al Akhawayn University Morocco
68 Walter Sisulu University for Technology and Science South Africa
69 University of Technology, Mauritius Mauritius
70 Université Mentouri de Constantine Algeria
71 Strathmore University Kenya
72 Université Saad Dahlab de Blida Algeria
73 University of Agriculture, Abeokuta Nigeria
74 Université des Sciences et de la Technologie Mohamed Boudiaf d'Oran Algeria
75 Federal University of Technology, Akure Nigeria
76 Ladoke Akintola University of Technology Nigeria
77 South Valley University Egypt
78 Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology Ghana
79 Université Abdelhamid Ibn Badis de Mostaganem Algeria
80 Université M'hamed Bouguerra de Boumerdes Algeria
81 Université Amar Telidji de Laghouat Algeria
82 United States International University Kenya
83 Lagos State University Nigeria
84 Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology Kenya
85 Al-Azhar University Egypt
86 University of Benin Nigeria
87 Uganda Christian University Uganda
88 Université Djillali Liabes Algeria
89 Vaal University of Technology South Africa
90 Université Mohammed V - Souissi Morocco
91 Suez Canal University Egypt
92 University of Fort Hare South Africa
93 University of Limpopo South Africa
94 Université Badji Mokhtar de Annaba Algeria
95 Université Ferhat Abbas de Sétif Algeria
96 Ecole Nationale Polytechnique Algeria
97 Jimma University Ethiopia
98 Université de Béjaïa Algeria
99 Ahmadu Bello University Nigeria
100 Nile University Egypt

http://www.4icu.org/topAfrica/

Africa only. embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
I am not surprised that the VC of one of our uni's can even work out what is going on in the list above, our quality of education is extremely poor.
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by Nobody: 11:41pm On Feb 16, 2010
POSITION
WORLD RANK
UNIVERSITY
SIZE
VISIBILITY
RICH FILES
SCHOLAR
University of Ilorin
Obafemi Awolowo University
University of Ibadan
University of Jos
University of Lagos
2,948**** http://www.webometrics.info/rank_by_country.asp?country=ng
volasunkan:

source pls!
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by bibiking1(m): 12:10am On Feb 17, 2010
See how my beloved Benin lingers afar from the favored ones! sad
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by CyberG: 12:11am On Feb 17, 2010

Universities and Colleges are sorted by our exclusive 4icu.org Web Popularity Ranking.

The ranking is based upon an algorithm including three unbiased and independent web metrics extracted from three different search engines:

- Google Page Rank
     - Yahoo Inbound Links
     - Alexa Traffic Rank

The aim of this website is to provide an approximate popularity ranking of worldwide Universities and Colleges based upon the popularity of their websites. This can especially help international students to understand how popular a specific University/College is in a foreign country.

We do not - by any means - claim to rank organisations, or their programs, by the quality of education or level of services provided.

Source: http://www.4icu.org/menu/about.htm#ranking
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by volasunkan: 1:11am On Feb 17, 2010
if u merge the list and in the light of the result/performance of our unis @ d zain african challenge,undoubtedly,our unis could do much better in any genuine african university rankings,both list suggest the quality of trainning at OAU,UNILORIN,UNIJOS but Only 2 skls are consistently tops
1.UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN(UI)
2.UNIVERSITY OF LAGOS.

however,i must admit,the list is a disaster for a country with immense human and material abundance as ours.
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by Nobody: 5:11am On Feb 17, 2010
If u merge the two rankings, u will see that OAU leads. Having come 2nd in webometrics and 1st in 4icu. They are consistent in the ranking. OAU leads, others follow!!!
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by iarm(m): 8:56pm On Feb 17, 2010
Funny how AUN (American University of Nigeria -- http://www.aun.edu.ng) isn't on the list.
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by recoome(m): 11:52am On Feb 18, 2010
That is a blatant lie, OAU leads as first in nigeria and 25 in africa, followed by UI and UNILAG, I think the authorities of unilorin are experiencing a delusioned view, Their academic programmes are too fast.
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by abswale(m): 12:00pm On Feb 19, 2010
@recoome
The academic program of Unilorin being fast is not an issue, but the solidity of her products which you can't contest.
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by luvola(m): 12:11pm On Feb 19, 2010
@ abwale - who told u dat unilorin product are standard ? u must b a joker
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by baslone: 1:43pm On Feb 22, 2010
Most of those schools on that list above are just living on past glory.

In reality, FUT Akure is way ahead of UI in academics and I'm sorry to
say[b] LASU is not a school!!![/b]
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by Redman44(m): 1:43pm On Feb 22, 2010
Except it is not the University of Ilorin I visited in 1999 When I was serving in Ondo State in 2005/2006, especially during the three weeks orientation program, Unilorin Corpers were usually fond of shouting the slogan- '' Better By Far''. I and my UNIBADAN camp mates used to laugh at them. The University of Ibadan might have old buildings, but the products of the institution are mostly intelligent. And these days, the current VC of UI is changing the landscape of the university. Things are looking up at UI. Cheers.
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by qeemus: 2:05pm On Feb 22, 2010
you might not believe it,but for close to 10yrs(ten good years)unilorin has not gone on strike.how many nigerian universities can boast of this achievement.
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by Ben13: 2:26pm On Feb 22, 2010
Where is the list of the ranking? Nigerian news sites can't be trusted any longer.

What happens to Uniben, OAU and Unilag? Tseeeew!
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by otokx(m): 2:28pm On Feb 22, 2010
Not going on strike does not make a university the best.
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by Harzan(m): 2:35pm On Feb 22, 2010
To be honest, not bn a Unilorin student but d fact is Unilorin is a cool Uni wit 1daful products. I bet it,  academically and others , we are very okay. Well, my only problem dia is ao to make my 2.1 out of dia gate. All odas are secondary.
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by parislomo(f): 2:48pm On Feb 22, 2010
qeemus:

you might not believe it,but for close to 10yrs(ten good years)unilorin has not gone on strike.how many nigerian universities can boast of this achievement.

So now, it's about strike??
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by SPYDAMAN(m): 2:52pm On Feb 22, 2010
HELLO LADIS AND GENTS,MY NAME IS RUSSELL ANI C.E.O MASSIVE CREW PROMOTION.MASSIVE PROMOTES SPYDAMAN 2010 HERE IS A LINK TO THE HOTTEST SINGLE FROM SPYDAMAN

http://www.4shared.com/file/223885962/d5a651cd/sdy_da_man_yon_yon_yon.html

http://www.mix.dj/viral-player/SPYDAMAN.htmlsdy da man yon yon yon.mp3

ADD ON FACEBOOK: SPYDAMAN
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by SPYDAMAN(m): 2:54pm On Feb 22, 2010
HELLO LADIS AND GENTS,MY NAME IS RUSSELL ANI C.E.O MASSIVE CREW PROMOTION.MASSIVE PROMOTES SPYDAMAN 2010 HERE IS A LINK TO THE HOTTEST SINGLE FROM SPYDAMAN

Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by ZUBBYNWA(m): 2:55pm On Feb 22, 2010
where is my best university (federal university of technology minna)
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by tkb417(m): 2:56pm On Feb 22, 2010
There are only 3 schools in Nigeria

OAU, UI and UNILAG

UNILORIN cant be compared to schools
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by smooooooth: 3:03pm On Feb 22, 2010
we were lucky to make the first 100, with all the nonsense bedevilling our educational system.

tkb417:

There are only 3 schools in Nigeria

OAU, UI and UNILAG

UNILORIN cant be compared to schools

okay u mean 1 university 3 campus

uniben- university

OAU, LAG, UI- campus. grin
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by spiderman(m): 3:08pm On Feb 22, 2010
I keep thanking God i went to school when i did.
Its all a joke now. undecided
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by spiderman(m): 3:11pm On Feb 22, 2010
SPYDAMAN:

probably a product of our present education system,

u spiderman wannabe cool
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by demla: 3:14pm On Feb 22, 2010
great ife , greatest uite the products determines the greatest sha!
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by pcicero(m): 3:23pm On Feb 22, 2010
I'm sure you can't fault Ife products!
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by abswale(m): 3:27pm On Feb 22, 2010
luvola:

@ abwale - who told u dat unilorin product are standard ? u must b a joker
Every university in Nigeria have good and bad products. Products you can boast of and the ones you can't. You can only access a university product by what they are able to make out of the certificate they obtainned.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

60-Year-Old Farouk Sanni Bags First Class In Sociology From UI, Wins 8 Awards / Accounting Degree Vs Accounting Education Degree / UNIZIK Graduate Pushed Into Dirty Water By Friends In Celebration (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.