Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,186 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:30 AM

Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? (17280 Views)

A 400-page Tutorial On How To Build Web Apps With Golang / Nigerian Made Android Apps for Android Phones / Testing Programmers: Puzzles Or Web Applications? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by Nobody: 5:37pm On Aug 18, 2014
lordZOUGA:

Well, since you seem to have a seemingly strong opinion about this topic and also you stated earlier that you design websites, I am going to go ahead and assume that you are probably one of the tech experts you speak of.

Using you as a case study, your last 10 posts (apart from the ones you made on this thread) is not on a tech section but this topic drew your attention because it is on the frontpage.
If it drew your attention, it will also draw the attention of other tech experts which totally justifies the reason why it was put on the frontpage

If you say so. I've unfollowed though.

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by ghettodreamz(m): 5:37pm On Aug 18, 2014
mohammedmagnus: Yeah its a very good idea bro, but one thing you must understand is. One thing is to start-up something innovative, another is for the people to accept such innovations. For example creating such apps, how many africans would be willing to patronise it so that money gets into the pockets of the app makers. Cos you know we all like free stuffs. That's another problem affecting the black race, the ability to accept new innovations and ideas

+ willingness and readiness to pay for such service/product.

We are so entrenched to the ideology of freebies and such habit among many others is one of the problems battling and confronting developers in this region of the world, thereby causing setbacks for us in the area of creative thinking and bringing our ideas, innovations into life. It is only when we start patronizing local developers, showing them supports with word of encouragement to do more, financially, etc, that is when we can start seeing some great improvements and developments taking place in our nation or the African continent at large.

Meanwhile, the government has a great role to play in this too, developers need good and stable electricity supply, encouragements, supports and cheap internet facilities at reasonably cheap and affordable price. So far, these are the major challenges facing developers and would be developers; if all these are properly being addressed by the right authorities concerned, things will take a drastic turn-around for our good as a nation and our developers will be able to rub shoulders with their counterparts from other neighboring countries in Africa and beyond.

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by toshodei: 5:41pm On Aug 18, 2014
MissMeiya:

Untrue. Nairaland uses CloudFlare.

Yeah but Onavo & CloudFlare are two different things. CloudFlare is more about delivering fast and good websites. Onavo is more about measuring your mobile data and compressing it, so that it can save you money. Im trying to be more of an Onavo than CloudFlare. CloudFlare & Onavo both can be operated worldwide, but the internet bandwidth & speed in Africa (Nigeria) is not the same as in West (US & UK) where CloudFlare & Onavo both have their main consumers/customers.
Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by Tex42(m): 5:42pm On Aug 18, 2014
mobile apps all d way.

u need not ask na!, but like they say;two heads are better than one.

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by toshodei: 5:44pm On Aug 18, 2014
heskeyw: lipsrsealed kiss kissi wl comment only if a beta pikin lectures me on what z web based app. Is it an app dat runs on pc as in .exe undecidedi wl comment only if a beta pikin lectures me on what z web based app. Is it an app dat runs on pc as in .exe

A web application or web app is any application software that runs in a web browser and is created in a browser-supported programming language (such as the combination of JavaScript, HTML and CSS) and relies on a web browser to render the application

Link ~> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_application
Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by Nobody: 5:46pm On Aug 18, 2014
MissMeiya:

Do you see why this shouldn't be on the front page? The people saying mobile think a web app is for computers. This question is for DEVELOPERS.

-_-

Nairaland mods, well done.

Enlighten the public or leave the thread. But whatever you do, please STOP whinging like a child.

@ public, please note that a web app is an app that is accessible on the web browser of your mobile phone.

@ toshodei, I don't think there's anything wrong with asking the end-users of your product. However, to get more informed responses, you could include a line that tells the difference between the two. We may not know what name they're called, but we certainly know how they function.

3 Likes

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by DobleO7: 5:46pm On Aug 18, 2014
Mobile phones are more accessibility

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by Nobody: 5:49pm On Aug 18, 2014
toshodei:

Yeah but Onavo & CloudFlare are two different things. CloudFlare is more about delivering fast and good websites. Onavo is more about measuring your mobile data and compressing it, so that it can save you money. Im trying to be more of an Onavo than CloudFlare. CloudFlare & Onavo both can be operated worldwide, but the internet bandwidth & speed in Africa (Nigeria) is not the same as in West (US & UK) where CloudFlare & Onavo both have their main consumers/customers.

Leaving aside the region...

This changes your question. You want to build a program. "App" is just the latest buzzword.

How would your app be better than Onavo, or even Opera Turbo, which have huge development teams and budgets?

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by toshodei: 5:50pm On Aug 18, 2014
jesuslovesme123:

Enlighten the public or leave the thread. But whatever you do, please STOP whinging like a child.

@ public, please note that a web app is an app that is accessible on the web browser of your mobile phone.

@ toshodei, I don't think there's anything wrong with asking the end-users of your product. However, to get more informed responses, you could include a line that tells the difference between the two. We may not know what name they're called, but we certainly know how they function.

Yes ma'am:
A mobile website is similar to any other website in that it consists of browser-based HTML pages that are linked together and accessed over the Internet (for mobile typically WiFi or 3G or 4G networks). The obvious characteristic that distinguishes a mobile website from a standard website is the fact that it is designed for the smaller handheld display and touch-screen interface.

Like any website, mobile websites can display text content, data, images and video. They can also access mobile-specific features such as click-to-call (to dial a phone number) or location-based mapping.

Apps are actual applications that are downloaded and installed on your mobile device, rather than being rendered within a browser. Users visit device-specific portals such as Apple’s App Store, Android Market, or Blackberry App World in order to find and download apps for a given operating system. The app may pull content and data from the Internet, in similar fashion to a website, or it may download the content so that it can be accessed without an Internet connection.

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by Nobody: 5:50pm On Aug 18, 2014
lordZOUGA:

Well, since you seem to have a seemingly strong opinion about this topic and also you stated earlier that you design websites, I am going to go ahead and assume that you are probably one of the tech experts you speak of.

Using you as a case study, your last 10 posts (apart from the ones you made on this thread) is not on a tech section but this topic drew your attention because it is on the frontpage.
If it drew your attention, it will also draw the attention of other tech experts which totally justifies the reason why it was put on the frontpage

Brilliant.

3 Likes

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by Nobody: 5:50pm On Aug 18, 2014
jesuslovesme123:

I'm whining, because you gave your opinion without knowing what you were talking about? Well, I'm glad you know now.

I already unfollowed the thread, so you can stop quoting me.

In fact, let's just forget about the different sections of NL. Let's just throw everything together.

2 Likes

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by pacretus(m): 5:54pm On Aug 18, 2014
ok.i understand wat u wrote but i dont knw wat to write

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by Descartes: 5:57pm On Aug 18, 2014
MissMeiya: I don't know.

Just kidding. I wouldn't comment if I had nothing to say....

For Nigeria, I would recommend web based apps.

For mobile, you would have to divide your development energy across all jthe common platforms (iOS, Android, BlackBerry, Windows), and not everyone uses a smartphone either. You would be inefficient and would cut out an entire demographic.

I don't know why this is on the front page either. You need comments from actual developers. Look at all the dumb comments you've gotten already.
I just wonder the kind of topics that are being moved to frontpage, the annoying one to day for me is that of T. Salvage pregnancy angry
The op should just do the needful by doing his research on this issue outside Nairaland
For me i stick to web apps cool

2 Likes

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by toshodei: 6:04pm On Aug 18, 2014
MissMeiya:

Leaving aside the region...

This changes your question. You want to build a program. "App" is just the latest buzzword.

How would your app be better than Onavo, or even Opera Turbo, which have huge development teams and budgets?

Onavo & Opera Turbo both focus on the GZIP/HTTP Compression, Images and Generalization of compressing websites/web pages and decompressing within the browser. I plan on focusing on compressing the text itself as well as GZIP or HTTP Compression. For example. Lets say you use Twitter. And you want to write "Hi my name is MissMeiya, have a good day". <~ This is exactly 41 bytes. Whether you use Onavo or Opera Turbo it is still 41 bytes. With my app, it will only be considered 9 bytes. So u saved 14 bytes with this one message. N that is just posting. I haven't talked about receiving feedback or anything else.
Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by Nobody: 6:06pm On Aug 18, 2014
toshodei:

Onavo & Opera Turbo both focus on the GZIP/HTTP Compression, Images and Generalization of compressing websites/web pages and decompressing within the browser. I plan on focusing on compressing the text itself as well as GZIP or HTTP Compression. For example. Lets say you use Twitter. And you want to write "Hi my name is MissMeiya, have a good day". <~ This is exactly 23 bytes. Whether you use Onavo or Opera Turbo it is still 23 bytes. With my app, it will only be considered 9 bytes. So u saved 14 bytes with this one message. N that is just posting. I haven't talked about receiving feedback or anything else.

Wow. That's really cool. So you've written the program already?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by toshodei: 6:08pm On Aug 18, 2014
MissMeiya:

Wow. That's really cool. So you've written the program already?

Yeah, I have. The only problem is Im trying to encrypt it and modify it, so that people's messages wont be intercepted and so that when you are trying to log in your email or social media accounts, I wouldn't know your passwords. Like it be running in the background like a spy app or like a keylogger.
Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by roufy235(m): 6:13pm On Aug 18, 2014
mobile app

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by Nobody: 6:18pm On Aug 18, 2014
toshodei:

Yeah, I have. The only problem is Im trying to encrypt it and modify it, so that people's messages wont be intercepted and so that when you are trying to log in your email or social media accounts, I wouldn't know your passwords. Like it be running in the background like a spy app or like a keylogger.

That's a question for a mobile developer. Sorry, I only know web techs. Try looking around in the tech forum for some. I know Nairaland has them.

As for your question, this has to be a mobile app if it's going to be running in the background. Hmmm. But you need the compression to be done on a server that then sends it to your app.

So the app is just a client.

The real program is on the server. What gets routed through it? Everything?

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by DonaldGenes(m): 6:18pm On Aug 18, 2014
prettyboi1989: Whoz d mod, d guy needs to be flogged for bringin dis to frontpage

No eye dear
Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by Nobody: 6:22pm On Aug 18, 2014
DonaldGenes: [sup][/sup]

No eye dear
Whu send u message? Dumdum
Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by waleelite(m): 6:23pm On Aug 18, 2014
toshodei: Which is more feasible? Which is more lucrative? Mobile-Based Apps or Web-based Apps for 9ja or African market? Many people have more mobile devices or smartphones than desktops/laptops but it seems as if people dont use their mobile devices or smartphones to browse. Or how do you feel?

Its all depends on individual lifestyle....

http://simplejoe4x.com/signup.php?r=4

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by ghettodreamz(m): 6:25pm On Aug 18, 2014
I would say both, as far as development is concerned we are still lagging behind either in terms of Web-based apps or mobile apps. That said, considering the advents of the mobile application platforms, such as the Google Play Store, Apple store, Windows App Store, Blackberry World, the daily increase in the number of released smartphones, with hundreds that are yet to be released, and consumers' reactions to this trend, I believe Mobile application development has a long way to go, and as far as Nigeria or African continent is concerned, we are yet to tap into the full potential pervasive computing has to offer us as developers.

Although web-based application developments will always stay around without going into extinction, but I believe mobile computing is a huge and billions dollars market, waiting for Nigerian and African developers to delve into. I think it will be so helpful if we have our very own local applications store(s) where developers can publish their apps to, based on the various available platforms - this will go a long way in easing accessibility, distributions, and also serve as a way of selling to the local market (mobile/smartphone users). How far this would go, depends on the mobile computing users, their acceptance and patronage of the local developers.

Bottom line, we need to start patronizing our very own people and reduce how we preferred these foreign developers to our very own developers.

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by toshodei: 6:29pm On Aug 18, 2014
MissMeiya:

That's a question for a mobile developer. Sorry, I only know web techs. Try looking around in the tech forum for some. I know Nairaland has them.

As for your question, this has to be a mobile app if it's going to be running in the background. Hmmm. But you need the compression to be done on a server that then sends it to your app.

So the app is just a client.

The real program is on the server. What gets routed through it? Everything?

Yeah everything as of now.
Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by toshodei: 6:33pm On Aug 18, 2014
But still, I wanted to make many more of things. Like I wanted to make a freelancing app, a new scraping app, a Nairaland filter app, but I didnt know if people access mobile apps or web apps. When I do my research websites or web apps seem to be accessed alot by Nigerians/Africans, but when you look to see if the the website/web app has a mobile app (they usually do) but no one downloads it.
Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by ghettodreamz(m): 6:36pm On Aug 18, 2014
toshodei:

Yes ma'am:
A mobile website is similar to any other website in that it consists of browser-based HTML pages that are linked together and accessed over the Internet (for mobile typically WiFi or 3G or 4G networks). The obvious characteristic that distinguishes a mobile website from a standard website is the fact that it is designed for the smaller handheld display and touch-screen interface.

Like any website, mobile websites can display text content, data, images and video. They can also access mobile-specific features such as click-to-call (to dial a phone number) or location-based mapping.

Apps are actual applications that are downloaded and installed on your mobile device, rather than being rendered within a browser. Users visit device-specific portals such as Apple’s App Store, Android Market, or Blackberry App World in order to find and download apps for a given operating system. The app may pull content and data from the Internet, in similar fashion to a website, or it may download the content so that it can be accessed without an Internet connection.

Bro, apps is a general term here, and it means applications. An app can either be mobile or web-based app in reference to the subject matter (Note- there are other types of apps too). A website, is also an app. Gerrit? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by toshodei: 6:36pm On Aug 18, 2014
For example VConnect. According to this link ~> http://www.alexa.com/topsites/countries;1/NG it is number 38 on the top visited websites in Nigeria. Now we all VConnect is dedicated to Nigerians (thats why I didnt use something else like Google, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube or ....)

However, when u look at the downloads ~> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vconnect.view&hl=en it has a max of 50,000 downloads. That doesnt make sense.

I would've used NL (Nairaland), but Nairaland doesn't have an official mobile app. Most are just RSS feeders.
Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by toshodei: 6:38pm On Aug 18, 2014
ghettodreamz:

Bro, apps is a general term here, and it means applications. An app can either be mobile or web-based app. A website, is also an app. Gerrit? undecided

Yeah thanks for the clarification, but I guess my question should be more like do Nigerians/Africans access apps through Mobile/Smartphones or through Desktops/Laptops?
Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by Nobody: 6:41pm On Aug 18, 2014
toshodei:

Yeah everything as of now.

*shrug* look for a mobile dev'er. Or do as someone else suggested and take your search off NL.

Your question is about logistics. Nothing particular to Nigerians.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Learn Java Programming Here Easily / How To Hack Bank Account In Nigeria In 30 Minutes / Can I Code With My Phone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.