Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,553 members, 7,827,074 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 06:21 AM

Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? - Programming (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? (17284 Views)

A 400-page Tutorial On How To Build Web Apps With Golang / Nigerian Made Android Apps for Android Phones / Testing Programmers: Puzzles Or Web Applications? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by asalimpo(m): 7:26pm On Aug 18, 2014
toshodei: Even take a look at NL (Nairaland) although I dont think it is a great example. NL is the number 8 on top visited sites in Nigeria, but only few people have bothered in downloading its app.

does NL have an app?
Since wen?

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by toshodei: 7:32pm On Aug 18, 2014
asalimpo:

does NL have an app?
Since wen?

Did u get a chance to see the apps I posted, before they were deleted?
Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by Urine: 7:34pm On Aug 18, 2014
MissMeiya: I don't know.

Just kidding. I wouldn't comment if I had nothing to say....

For Nigeria, I would recommend web based apps.

For mobile, you would have to divide your development energy across all the common platforms (iOS, Android, BlackBerry, Windows), and not everyone uses a smartphone either. You would be inefficient and would cut out an entire demographic.

I don't know why this is on the front page either. You need comments from actual developers. Look at all the dumb comments you've gotten already.

I want this woman in my team.

2 Likes

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by efeboy(m): 8:12pm On Aug 18, 2014
toshodei: Thank you for letting this make front page. What device do most 9jerians/Africans use to browse the internet? Mobile/Smartphones? Desktops/Laptops? Many 9jerians/Africans own more mobile devices/smartphones than desktops/laptops but it seems as if mobile devices/smartphones are only used for chatting. To be more clear, here is what I mean:

a. Native Apps
Native apps live on the device and are accessed through icons on the device home screen. Native apps are installed through an application store (such as Google Play or Apple’s App Store). They are developed specifically for one platform, and can take full advantage of all the device features — they can use the camera, the GPS, the accelerometer, the compass, the list of contacts, and so on. They can also incorporate gestures (either standard operating-system gestures or new, app-defined gestures). And native apps can use the device’s notification system and can work offline.

b. Mobile Web Apps
Web apps are not real applications; they are really websites that, in many ways, look and feel like native applications, but are not implemented as such. They are run by a browser and typically written in HTML5. Users first access them as they would access any web page: they navigate to a special URL and then have the option of “installing” them on their home screen by creating a bookmark to that page.

Web apps became really popular when HTML5 came around and people realized that they can obtain native-like functionality in the browser. Today, as more and more sites use HTML5, the distinction between web apps and regular web pages has become blurry.

c. Hybrid apps
Hybrid apps are part native apps, part web apps. (Because of that, many people incorrectly call them “web apps”). Like native apps, they live in an app store and can take advantage of the many device features available. Like web apps, they rely on HTML being rendered in a browser, with the caveat that the browser is embedded within the app.

Often, companies build hybrid apps as wrappers for an existing web page; in that way, they hope to get a presence in the app store, without spending significant effort for developing a different app. Hybrid apps are also popular because they allow cross-platform development and thus significantly reduce development costs: that is, the same HTML code components can be reused on different mobile operating systems. Tools such as PhoneGap and Sencha Touch allow people to design and code across platforms, using the power of HTML.

Link ~> http://www.nngroup.com/articles/mobile-native-apps/

God bless U!
Intelligent and very helpful.

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by nervegasfarts: 8:14pm On Aug 18, 2014
I dont see why he cannot make HTML 5/JavaScript Apps for the smartphone and desktop. Development is easier this way across all devices.

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by Mickey7(m): 8:18pm On Aug 18, 2014
Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by toshodei: 8:25pm On Aug 18, 2014
nervegasfarts: I dont see why he cannot make HTML 5/JavaScript Apps for the smartphone and desktop. Development is easier this way across all devices.

Yeah, this is what I plan on doing exactly.
Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by toshodei: 8:25pm On Aug 18, 2014
efeboy:

God bless U!
Intelligent and very helpful.

You are welcome. May the life and universe bless you and grant you what you need as well.
Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by hoodboi(m): 8:28pm On Aug 18, 2014
MissMeiya: I don't know.

Just kidding. I wouldn't comment if I had nothing to say....

For Nigeria, I would recommend web based apps.

For mobile, you would have to divide your development energy across all the common platforms (iOS, Android, BlackBerry, Windows), and not everyone uses a smartphone either. You would be inefficient and would cut out an entire demographic.

I don't know why this is on the front page either. You need comments from actual developers. Look at all the dumb comments you've gotten already.

I soooo think it's sexy when a girl talks about programming.. I'm falling for you already.

I think this is a great post and should have gotten more hits than this, God bless whoever put it on d frontpage..

I would go with a web strategy first using a cloud based database for easily making data accessible to all platforms (scalability) eventually. A web first strategy works everytime.

Although it largely depends on how much your resources are and what your dev team looks like. If you can work and rollout both at once fine, but if not go for web first. It has the advantage of being accessible from multiple devices and from what I can tell today, the very first mobile app you would like to develop would be android, but the market is still largely mixed btw blackberry, iOS, android, windows phone etc.

So my conclusion. Develop a mobile website along with your regular website and see about the mobile apps later. Web still trumps mobile.

2 Likes

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by izikjon(m): 8:48pm On Aug 18, 2014
mobile app
Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by toshodei: 8:49pm On Aug 18, 2014
hoodboi:

I soooo think it's sexy when a girl talks about programming.. I'm falling for you already.

I think this is a great post and should have gotten more hits than this, God bless whoever put it on d frontpage..

I would go with a web strategy first using a cloud based database for easily making data accessible to all platforms (scalability) eventually. A web first strategy works everytime.

Although it largely depends on how much your resources are and what your dev team looks like. If you can work and rollout both at once fine, but if not go for web first. It has the advantage of being accessible from multiple devices and from what I can tell today, the very first mobile app you would like to develop would be android, but the market is still largely mixed btw blackberry, iOS, android, windows phone etc.

So my conclusion. Develop a mobile website along with your regular website and see about the mobile apps later. Web still trumps mobile.

Thank you so much @hoodboi for your response and thoughts. I really appreciate it.
Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by Waspy(m): 8:52pm On Aug 18, 2014
I don't know how I got here but seriously, I downloaded Nairaland mobile app (Naira land forum official official) and sh!t don't work poo angry angry Maybe Op shld start with that

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by toshodei: 9:02pm On Aug 18, 2014
Waspy: I don't know how I got here but seriously, I downloaded Nairaland mobile app (Naira land forum official official) and sh!t don't work poo angry angry Maybe Op shld start with that

That's sad. Thats what we were talking about. I think Nigerian Developers are better in developing mobile (web) apps than in developing mobile (native) apps.
Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by mediachirps(m): 9:22pm On Aug 18, 2014
You need no other prophet to tell you that; Mobile Apps will bring more usability than web Apps. though, you may reconsider the web Apps later.

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by hoodboi(m): 9:36pm On Aug 18, 2014
mediachirps: You need no other prophet to tell you that; Mobile Apps will bring more usability than web Apps. though, you may reconsider the web Apps later.

I totally beg to differ.. Mobile apps are more personal I agree. But web apps will always get more usage. Take for instance; I have a friend that doesn't make use of facebook mobile app when his MB is either getting low or is low already. He's a developer like myself and he understands that using a browser like operamini helps you control the way your data is used. Also, sites like aliexpress and a few others that do not yet have a blackberry app and others. If they didn't have a web presence that would be a huge cut in sales.

2 Likes

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by Nobody: 9:39pm On Aug 18, 2014
As a lover of good apps I'd say mobile unless you've gat a real catchy app. I only take dpains to open my browser for a really worthy cause *winks*
on second thoughts, what do you lose having them both?

2 Likes

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by abworld6deep(m): 10:07pm On Aug 18, 2014
toshodei:

Is your proposal or an abstract to your proposal online?

My proposal/Project....Being writing on it for sometimes now.

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by Whizpeter(m): 12:30am On Aug 19, 2014
Nairaland Application both on Android and BlackBerry z A Web App or Probably a Bookmark.
Facebook, Twitter and Instagram are all Mobile Apps..
So tell me, which Of them Nigerians use More

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by Whizpeter(m): 12:31am On Aug 19, 2014
If you think Mobile App z better, Click LIKE.

2 Likes

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by Whizpeter(m): 12:32am On Aug 19, 2014
If you think Web App z better, click LIKE.

2 Likes

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by Nobody: 7:27am On Aug 19, 2014
toshodei:

Did u get a chance to see the apps I posted, before they were deleted?
Na who delete am?

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by tplacid: 8:20am On Aug 19, 2014
Op this is the answer your question.................and nice contribution there.

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by tosinhtml: 9:08am On Aug 19, 2014
MissMeiya:

That's due to the developer. A GOOD programmer makes a website that DEGRADES so it works on ALL PLATFORMS. That's how I build web apps. I test it on every single screen size, browser, and platform.

Twitter works everywhere, doesn't it? It's a web app, with a mobile app OPTION.

This thread really shouldn't be on the front page. Nairaland has A LOT of tech experts that can give the OP the correct advice.

Single Screen size / browser / Platform is not enough bro !!! Devices have their own issues rendering your web based App

And who told you Twitter works everywhere ?

How many phones did you test it with ?

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by tosinhtml: 9:12am On Aug 19, 2014

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by Nobody: 10:50am On Aug 19, 2014
tosinhtml:

Single Screen size / browser / Platform is not enough bro !!! Devices have their own issues rendering your web based App

And who told you Twitter works everywhere ?

How many phones did you test it with ?

I said every single. Not single.

Do you know what responsive design is? And progressive enhancement?

Are you even a developer?

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by Nobody: 10:58am On Aug 19, 2014
MissMeiya:

Do you know what responsive design is? And progressive enhancement?

Check out my responsive web design blog for example - www.dhtmlhub.com - works well on blackberry, android, IOS (iPhone and IPAD) and PC. And it displays different layouts for all these devices and yet the same URL and the same web-app.

2 Likes

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by Nobody: 11:06am On Aug 19, 2014
dhtml18:
Check out my responsive web design blog for example - www.dhtmlhub.com - works well on blackberry, android, IOS (iPhone and IPAD) and PC. And it displays different layouts for all these devices and yet the same URL and the same web-app.

So then why were you arguing with me. I'm annoyed. Wtf. Is that not exactly what I said.

Edit: Whoops, I thought you were the other guy. Please disregard!

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by Nobody: 11:10am On Aug 19, 2014
MissMeiya:

So then why were you arguing with me. I'm annoyed. Wtf. Is that not exactly what I said.
I was supporting your point rather, I was never arguing with you. I have been watching this thread from the start and just decided to keep quiet.

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by tosinhtml: 11:10am On Aug 19, 2014
MissMeiya:

Do you know what responsive design is? And progressive enhancement? " Oga, We all know what it is "

Miss Developer I meant " Every SIngle " , and am sure you knew what i meant.

If your App is only left to be on Web, You are not ready Yet !

The Only reason Nairaland hasn't taken Mobile App too serious is because " There is no tough competition for it "

Why do you think Facebook bought Instagram and Whatsapp ?

Reason is : They lost the mobile war to both of them. Simple !!!

Not that they can't create their own version of Instagram and WhatsApp put together.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Learn Java Programming Here Easily / How To Hack Bank Account In Nigeria In 30 Minutes / Can I Code With My Phone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.