Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,253 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:36 AM

Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? (17246 Views)

A 400-page Tutorial On How To Build Web Apps With Golang / Nigerian Made Android Apps for Android Phones / Testing Programmers: Puzzles Or Web Applications? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by SLIDEwaxie(m): 5:12pm On Aug 18, 2014
u and i both know the answer: mobile

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by toshodei: 5:13pm On Aug 18, 2014
mohammedmagnus: Yeah its a very good idea bro, but one thing you must understand is. One thing is to start-up something innovative, another is for the people to accept such innovations. For example creating such apps, how many africans would be willing to patronise it so that money gets into the pockets of the app makers. Cos you know we all like free stuffs. That's another problem affecting the black race, the ability to accept new innovations and ideas

Yeah I understand sir. I will definitely find a way to pay for it and it will be free for people. My main concern as of right now is getting it to the people in the best way.
Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by Nobody: 5:14pm On Aug 18, 2014
op, first define and critically evaluate mobile based and web based apps clearly stating their merits, demerits and alternatives before i answer

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by Nobody: 5:14pm On Aug 18, 2014
Y is every body on the FP having 1 like. This is nt FB. Oya op give me my like too.

2 Likes

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by toshodei: 5:14pm On Aug 18, 2014
MissMeiya: I don't know.

Just kidding. I wouldn't comment if I had nothing to say....

For Nigeria, I would recommend web based apps.

For mobile, you would have to divide your development energy across all the common platforms (iOS, Android, BlackBerry, Windows), and not everyone uses a smartphone either. You would be inefficient and would cut out an entire demographic.

I don't know why this is on the front page either. You need comments from actual developers. Look at all the dumb comments you've gotten already.

Thank you for your opinion ma'am, I really appreciate it. Thanks once again.
Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by toshodei: 5:16pm On Aug 18, 2014
francleanflexy: op, first define and critically evaluate mobile based and web based apps clearly stating their merits, demerits and alternatives before i answer

Yes, I stated the difference earlier but to help you out, I will do it again.

a. Native Apps
Native apps live on the device and are accessed through icons on the device home screen. Native apps are installed through an application store (such as Google Play or Apple’s App Store). They are developed specifically for one platform, and can take full advantage of all the device features — they can use the camera, the GPS, the accelerometer, the compass, the list of contacts, and so on. They can also incorporate gestures (either standard operating-system gestures or new, app-defined gestures). And native apps can use the device’s notification system and can work offline.

b. Mobile Web Apps
Web apps are not real applications; they are really websites that, in many ways, look and feel like native applications, but are not implemented as such. They are run by a browser and typically written in HTML5. Users first access them as they would access any web page: they navigate to a special URL and then have the option of “installing” them on their home screen by creating a bookmark to that page.

Web apps became really popular when HTML5 came around and people realized that they can obtain native-like functionality in the browser. Today, as more and more sites use HTML5, the distinction between web apps and regular web pages has become blurry.

c. Hybrid apps
Hybrid apps are part native apps, part web apps. (Because of that, many people incorrectly call them “web apps”). Like native apps, they live in an app store and can take advantage of the many device features available. Like web apps, they rely on HTML being rendered in a browser, with the caveat that the browser is embedded within the app.

Often, companies build hybrid apps as wrappers for an existing web page; in that way, they hope to get a presence in the app store, without spending significant effort for developing a different app. Hybrid apps are also popular because they allow cross-platform development and thus significantly reduce development costs: that is, the same HTML code components can be reused on different mobile operating systems. Tools such as PhoneGap and Sencha Touch allow people to design and code across platforms, using the power of HTML.

Link ~> http://www.nngroup.com/articles/mobile-native-apps/
Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by ogedanny: 5:16pm On Aug 18, 2014
Mobile app is the best

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by toshodei: 5:17pm On Aug 18, 2014
maafen: @ bolded ℓ don't know W̶̲̥̅̊hε̲̣̣̣̥я̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ yόϋ heard this, a lagre number φf nigerians that go online use mobile phones ℓ don't know the actual statistic but ℓ think it is about 70% ãпԃ this is even common knowledge. Fø̲̣̣я today ℓ think mobile based app is it.

Thank you for the correction, I really appreciate this.
Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by Nobody: 5:18pm On Aug 18, 2014
If you're targetting the mass market and you had to choose just one, then definitely go for Mobile, as more of your audience browse on Mobiles than they do Web.

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by lawaol2003(m): 5:18pm On Aug 18, 2014
Mobile apps is ur best shot....over 80% of nairalander access via mobile devices

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by lordZOUGA(m): 5:19pm On Aug 18, 2014
MissMeiya:

That's due to the developer. A GOOD programmer makes a website that DEGRADES so it works on ALL PLATFORMS. That's how I build web apps. I test it on every single screen size, browser, and platform.

Twitter works everywhere, doesn't it? It's a web app, with a mobile app OPTION.

This thread really shouldn't be on the front page. Nairaland has A LOT of tech experts that can give the OP the correct advice.
What better way of getting the attention of the said tech experts than to put the topic on the frontpage. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by Nobody: 5:20pm On Aug 18, 2014
Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by Nobody: 5:20pm On Aug 18, 2014
Mobile App!

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by Nobody: 5:21pm On Aug 18, 2014
jesuslovesme123: If you're targetting the mass market and you had to choose just one, then definitely go for Mobile, as more of your audience browse on Mobiles than they do Web.
lawaol2003: Mobile apps is ur best shot....over 80% of nairalander access via mobile devices

Do you see why this shouldn't be on the front page? The people saying mobile think a web app is for computers. This question is for DEVELOPERS.

-_-

Nairaland mods, well done.

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by toshodei: 5:21pm On Aug 18, 2014
I REALLY WANT TO TAKE THIS TIME TO SAY THANK YOU TO EVERYONE FOR ANSWERING OR VIEWING THE PAGE. HAPPY MONDAY & TILL WE CHAT/MEET/TALK AGAIN, HAVE A GOOD SUCCESSFUL WEEK AHEAD!!!
Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by paranorman(m): 5:22pm On Aug 18, 2014
toshodei: Thank you for letting this make front page. What device do most 9jerians/Africans use to browse the internet? Mobile/Smartphones? Desktops/Laptops? Many 9jerians/Africans own more mobile devices/smartphones than desktops/laptops but it seems as if mobile devices/smartphones are only used for chatting. To be more clear, here is what I mean:

a. Native Apps
Native apps live on the device and are accessed through icons on the device home screen. Native apps are installed through an application store (such as Google Play or Apple’s App Store). They are developed specifically for one platform, and can take full advantage of all the device features — they can use the camera, the GPS, the accelerometer, the compass, the list of contacts, and so on. They can also incorporate gestures (either standard operating-system gestures or new, app-defined gestures). And native apps can use the device’s notification system and can work offline.

b. Mobile Web Apps
Web apps are not real applications; they are really websites that, in many ways, look and feel like native applications, but are not implemented as such. They are run by a browser and typically written in HTML5. Users first access them as they would access any web page: they navigate to a special URL and then have the option of “installing” them on their home screen by creating a bookmark to that page.

Web apps became really popular when HTML5 came around and people realized that they can obtain native-like functionality in the browser. Today, as more and more sites use HTML5, the distinction between web apps and regular web pages has become blurry.

c. Hybrid apps
Hybrid apps are part native apps, part web apps. (Because of that, many people incorrectly call them “web apps”). Like native apps, they live in an app store and can take advantage of the many device features available. Like web apps, they rely on HTML being rendered in a browser, with the caveat that the browser is embedded within the app.

Often, companies build hybrid apps as wrappers for an existing web page; in that way, they hope to get a presence in the app store, without spending significant effort for developing a different app. Hybrid apps are also popular because they allow cross-platform development and thus significantly reduce development costs: that is, the same HTML code components can be reused on different mobile operating systems. Tools such as PhoneGap and Sencha Touch allow people to design and code across platforms, using the power of HTML.

Link ~> http://www.nngroup.com/articles/mobile-native-apps/

you coulda given examples of each for the lay folks.

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by Nobody: 5:23pm On Aug 18, 2014
lordZOUGA:
What better way of getting the attention of the said tech experts than to put the topic on the frontpage. smiley

1. I want to unfollow this topic because all the wrong answers are irritating me.

2. The tech experts are always in the tech forum. They don't need to see this topic on the fp to notice it.

3. The OP has to wade through a bunch of nonsense and guesses, and figure out who actually knows what they're talking about.
Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by ayukdaboss(m): 5:24pm On Aug 18, 2014
MissMeiya:

That's due to the developer. A GOOD programmer makes a website that DEGRADES so it works on ALL PLATFORMS. That's how I build web apps. I test it on every single screen size, browser, and platform.

Twitter works everywhere, doesn't it? It's a web app, with a mobile app OPTION.

This thread really shouldn't be on the front page. Nairaland has A LOT of tech experts that can give the OP the correct advice.
Yea true. Meaning the web-based apps should be the deal. But I Believe Mobile based apps are almost stealing the show because almost every Nigerian is saving and upgrading to smartphones.

PS: Smartphones are getting Really cheap.

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by Nobody: 5:26pm On Aug 18, 2014
ayukdaboss:
Yea true. Meaning the web-based apps should be the deal. But I Believe Mobile based apps are almost stealing the show because almost every Nigerian is saving and upgrading to smartphones.

PS: Smartphones are getting Really cheap.

Let me put it this way. Is nairaland accessible via mobile?

The answer is yes. Mobile users can use nairaland. Despite the fact that it is not a "mobile app".

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by englishmart(m): 5:27pm On Aug 18, 2014
50 dogs cannot scare an elephant!

Just figure it out yourself!

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by popson1st: 5:28pm On Aug 18, 2014
Web based apps. Most of the smartphones u see with people are for flaunt. Imagine a lady asking for an Ipad Air just to be taking picture!!!

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by abdullkabar(m): 5:28pm On Aug 18, 2014
Mobile apps abi

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by toshodei: 5:30pm On Aug 18, 2014
Basically Im trying to build an app that saves data by compressing at the client stage and then decompresses at the server stage. How many people will be interested in that? ALSO THANKS AGAIN FOR THOSE WHO RESPONDED ON & VIEW THIS PAGE!!! I REALLY APPRECIATE IT.
Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by genny2kuk(m): 5:31pm On Aug 18, 2014
They both have their pros and cons.

Mobile apps are expensive to build, need to be updated/upgraded from time to time (to add new features and resolve bugs), they have to be built for different platforms (BB, Android, iOS etc). There's a limit to the number of apps any person would want to instal on their mobile devices. They are however more likely to be used while accessing the web than mobile sites. They are "more secure" than the mobile site.

Mobile sites on the other hand are perceived the same way as web sites. As a web developer, you might need to build a different version for desktop and mobile users. Mobile sites are much cheaper than their apps counterparts. They are easier to update/upgrade without necessary inconveniencing users. Mobile sites enjoy some form of preference from google when a search is done from a mobile device.

All in all, it depends on the purpose.

2 Likes

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by Nobody: 5:32pm On Aug 18, 2014
toshodei: Basically Im trying to build an app that saves data by compressing at the client stage and then decompresses at the server stage. How many people will be interested in that? ALSO THANKS AGAIN FOR THOSE WHO RESPONDED ON & VIEW THIS PAGE!!! I REALLY APPRECIATE IT.

You mean like CloudFlare and Amazon CloudFront? Look up content delivery networks or CDN. That's already a thing.

2 Likes

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by toshodei: 5:34pm On Aug 18, 2014
Also as you know, most service providers from Nigeria, Africa to USA & UK are providing service plans with only access to Facebook & Twitter. The Airtel WTF Bundle, and then the Sprint Wireless Bundle and then Facebook's Internet.org App. So I have apps that can help you get more from information by only going to Facebook & Twitter. How do you feel about that? It will save people alot of money.
Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by Nobody: 5:34pm On Aug 18, 2014
MissMeiya: I don't know.

Just kidding. I wouldn't comment if I had nothing to say....

For Nigeria, I would recommend web based apps.

For mobile, you would have to divide your development energy across all the common platforms (iOS, Android, BlackBerry, Windows), and not everyone uses a smartphone either. You would be inefficient and would cut out an entire demographic.

I don't know why this is on the front page either. You need comments from actual developers. Look at all the dumb comments you've gotten already.

@bolded...Most Nigerians don't use the web just like the smartphone too. Some people are just stuck with their Nokia torchlight phones and are cool with it

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by toshodei: 5:35pm On Aug 18, 2014
MissMeiya:

You mean like CloudFlare and Amazon CloudFront? Look up content delivery networks or CDN. That's already a thing.

Yeah something like that, but more like Onavo ~> https://www.onavo.com/ Many of these apps are not directed to Nigerian/African market. They are for West-Based customers like USA & UK.
Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by ijeomaayuba: 5:35pm On Aug 18, 2014
I think web app is better

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by lordZOUGA(m): 5:36pm On Aug 18, 2014
MissMeiya:

2. The tech experts are always in the tech forum. They don't need to see this topic on the fp to notice it.

Well, since you seem to have a seemingly strong opinion about this topic and also you stated earlier that you design websites, I am going to go ahead and assume that you are probably one of the tech experts you speak of.

Using you as a case study, your last 10 posts (apart from the ones you made on this thread) is not on a tech section but this topic drew your attention because it is on the frontpage.
If it drew your attention, it will also draw the attention of other tech experts which totally justifies the reason why it was put on the frontpage

2 Likes

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by Nobody: 5:36pm On Aug 18, 2014
toshodei:

Yeah something like that, but more like Onavo ~> https://www.onavo.com/ Many of these apps are not directed to Nigerian/African market. They are for West-Based customers like USA & UK.

Untrue. Nairaland uses CloudFlare.

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by heskeyw(m): 5:36pm On Aug 18, 2014
lipsrsealed kiss kissi wl comment only if a beta pikin lectures me on what z web based app. Is it an app dat runs on pc as in .exe undecidedi wl comment only if a beta pikin lectures me on what z web based app. Is it an app dat runs on pc as in .exe

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Can I Code With My Phone / How To Hack Bank Account In Nigeria In 30 Minutes / Will You Choose Your Girlfriend Over Your Computer?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.