Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,591 members, 7,809,145 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:14 AM

Charge Your Phone By Shouting At It - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Charge Your Phone By Shouting At It (39387 Views)

Turn Up Your Room Temperature By SHOUTING At It / Charge Your Phone By SHOUTING At It: Gadget Converts Sound Waves From Speech Int / 'Galaxy Gear' Watch-like Phone By Samsung To Be Introduced Next Month (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Charge Your Phone By Shouting At It by baseg25(m): 4:35pm On Aug 18, 2014

Charge your phone by SHOUTING at it: Gadget converts sound waves from speech into five volts of energy for your mobile

Prototype created by Queen Mary University of London and Nokia
The device, which is about the size of a mobile phone, uses zinc oxide
Zinc oxide produces electricity when subjected to mechanical stress
Stress could come from vibrations in sound that move tiny rods
Invention was inspired by research which found playing pop and rock music improves the performance of solar cells

As the class Governor of my department at Yaba college Of technology, It seems phone batteries always die at the same moment you need to make an important call like calling a Lecturer , before class or after class.

But while shouting at your mobile in frustration might seem pointless, a new gadget could soon mean your screams won't be in vain.

Researchers in London have created a new technology that uses sound, such as chants at a football ground or chatter in a coffee shop, to charge up mobile phones.

While shouting at your mobile in frustration might seem pointless, a new gadget could soon mean your screams won't be in vain. Researchers in London have created a new technology that uses sound, such as chants at a football ground or chatter in a coffee shop, to charge up mobile phones

Their prototype device, which is about the size of a mobile phone, uses zinc oxide to convert vibrations caused by sound into electricity.
The invention was inspired by previous research at Queen Mary University of London (QMUL), which found playing pop and rock music improved the performance of solar cells.
This was because the sound vibrations triggered the movement of material in the solar cell that caused it to improve efficiency by up to 40 per cent.
Developing this research further, Nokia worked with the QMUL team to create an energy-harvesting prototype that could be used to charge a mobile phone using everyday background noise.

Nokia worked with the QMUL team to create an energy-harvesting prototype that could be used to charge a mobile phone using everyday background noise. Pictured here is the zinc oxide used in the device

The team used the key properties of zinc oxide, a material that when squashed or stretched creates a voltage by converting energy from motion into electrical energy, in the form of nanorods.
The nanorods can be coated onto various surfaces in different locations making the energy harvesting versatile.
When this surface is squashed or stretched, the nanorods then generate a high voltage.
The nanorods respond to vibration and movement created by everyday sound, such as our voices.
Electrical contacts on both sides of the rods are then used to harvest the voltage to charge a phone.
In order to make it possible to produce these nanogenerators at scale, the scientists found innovative ways to cut costs in the production process.

Firstly, they developed a process whereby they could spray on the nanorod chemicals - almost like nanorod graffiti - to cover a plastic sheet in a layer of zinc oxide.

When put into a mixture of chemicals and heated to just 90°C, the nanorods grew all over the surface of the sheet.

Secondly, gold is traditionally used as an electrical contact, but the team were able to produce a method of using cheap and cheerful aluminium foil instead.

The final device is the same size as a Nokia Lumia 925 and generates five volts, which is enough to charge a phone.

'Being able to keep mobile devices working for longer, or do away with batteries completely by tapping into the stray energy that is all around us is an exciting concept,' said Dr Joe Briscoe from QMUL.

'We hope that we have brought this technology closer to viability.
'

The device is the same size as a Nokia Lumia 925 (pictured) and generates 5 volts - enough to charge a phone

'Being able to keep mobile devices working for longer, or do away with batteries completely by tapping into the stray energy that is all around us is an exciting concept,' said Dr Joe Briscoe from QMUL. Pictured is the voltage test to see how much energy the device could harvest..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2725959/Charge-phone-SHOUTING-Gadget-converts-sound-waves-speech-five-volts-energy-mobile.html

what do you think?

: http://techcribng.com/charge-your-phone-by-shouting-at-it/

3 Likes

Re: Charge Your Phone By Shouting At It by dober(m): 4:57pm On Aug 18, 2014
Now I can chanel all these girls em shouts to useful volts.

47 Likes

Re: Charge Your Phone By Shouting At It by santakris(m): 4:58pm On Aug 18, 2014
Nice concept. As we grow technology also grows

4 Likes

Re: Charge Your Phone By Shouting At It by Mamaflex(f): 5:34pm On Aug 18, 2014
Hmmmm
Re: Charge Your Phone By Shouting At It by dhardline(m): 5:59pm On Aug 18, 2014
Very close to useless invention...so make i turn noise maker because i wan charge my phone. undecided
But on second thought it will be very beneficial to Lagos bus conductors.Those guys sabi shout walahi.

95 Likes

Re: Charge Your Phone By Shouting At It by Dreyl(m): 6:14pm On Aug 18, 2014
shockedshockedshocked
Re: Charge Your Phone By Shouting At It by yungEX(m): 6:25pm On Aug 18, 2014
charge am make make headache kill you

18 Likes

Re: Charge Your Phone By Shouting At It by MaziOmenuko: 6:32pm On Aug 18, 2014
The number of battery-bars your phone will get will be directly proportional to the level of head-ache you will get

91 Likes

Re: Charge Your Phone By Shouting At It by SpaceGoat: 6:38pm On Aug 18, 2014
MaziOmenuko: The number of battery-bars your phone will get will be directly proportional to the level of head-ache you will get
bruv will you do it? check below cheesy will you do it https://www.nairaland.com/1863198/peck-dieing-ebola-patient-billion
Re: Charge Your Phone By Shouting At It by Kingdre(m): 7:02pm On Aug 18, 2014
cheesy :Dhehehe angryhehehe
technology nice one
now I'm waiting for

you can now load airtime to your phone by hitting it to the grand

17 Likes

Re: Charge Your Phone By Shouting At It by Temihatz(m): 7:04pm On Aug 18, 2014
Lol... Just imagining if someone should shout on his/her phone inside a banking hall just to make d phone stay on. Omo I go use style join the next queue. wink

19 Likes

Re: Charge Your Phone By Shouting At It by baseg25(m): 7:36pm On Aug 18, 2014
yungEX: charge ur make make headache kill you
hm, you have a point but tech must advance
Re: Charge Your Phone By Shouting At It by baseg25(m): 7:38pm On Aug 18, 2014
Kingdre: cheesy :Dhehehe angryhehehe
technology nice one
now I'm waiting for

you can now load airtime to your phone by hitting it to the grand

hmmmmm, hitting in the ground , kee
if i hear
Re: Charge Your Phone By Shouting At It by MARKone(m): 7:38pm On Aug 18, 2014
By the time you shout finish, you won't get energy to talk before the battery runs down again.

27 Likes

Re: Charge Your Phone By Shouting At It by baseg25(m): 7:39pm On Aug 18, 2014
Temihatz: Lol... Just imagining if someone should shout on his/her phone inside a banking hall just to make d phone stay on. Omo I go use style join the next queue. wink
na security go arrest that person

1 Like

Re: Charge Your Phone By Shouting At It by baseg25(m): 7:40pm On Aug 18, 2014
when i saw it , i was shocked myself..
MARKone: By the time you shout finish, you won't get energy to talk before the battery runs down again.
Re: Charge Your Phone By Shouting At It by Arbiola(f): 7:45pm On Aug 18, 2014
This is an end time sign oh

5 Likes

Re: Charge Your Phone By Shouting At It by ilotriouzAY(m): 7:47pm On Aug 18, 2014
Praise the lord

so mama ngozi nd iya idris(d noisemakers) go dey useful like dis

*dancing sekem*

1 Like

Re: Charge Your Phone By Shouting At It by OCTAVO: 7:51pm On Aug 18, 2014
Ok.
You can get extremely cheap ETISALAT and GLO data here https://www.nairaland.com/1566834/mtn-glo-etisalat-data

2 Likes

Re: Charge Your Phone By Shouting At It by Temihatz(m): 8:01pm On Aug 18, 2014
Traders for market will always get ba3 full, so tey the phone go always dey complain: "Please unplug your noise to save energy"

68 Likes

Re: Charge Your Phone By Shouting At It by Nobody: 8:07pm On Aug 18, 2014
dober: Now I can chanel all these girls em shouts to useful volts.
cheesy cheesy grin
Re: Charge Your Phone By Shouting At It by Big4wig(m): 8:17pm On Aug 18, 2014
On the first day, God created the dog and said: "Sit
all day by the door of your house and bark at anyone
who comes in or walks past. For this, I will give you a
life span of twenty years."
The dog said: "That's a long time to be barking. How
about only ten years and I'll give you back the other
ten?"
So God agreed.
On the second day, God created the monkey and
said: "Entertain people, do tricks, and make them
laugh. For this, I'll give you a twenty-year life span."
The monkey said: "Monkey tricks for twenty years?
That's a pretty long time to perform. How about I
give you back ten like the Dog did?"
And God agreed.
On the third day, God created the cow and said: "You
must go into the field with the farmer all day
long and suffer under the sun, have calves and give
milk to support the farmer's family. For this, I will
give you a life span of sixty years."
The cow said: "That's kind of a tough life you want
me to live for sixty years. How about twenty and I'll
give back the other forty?"
And God agreed again.
On the fourth day, God created man and said: "Eat,
sleep, play, marry and enjoy your life. For this, I'll
give you twenty years."
But man said: "Only twenty years? Could you possibly
give me my twenty, the forty the cow gave back, the
ten the monkey gave back, and the ten the dog gave
back; that makes eighty, okay?"
"Okay," said God, "You asked for it."
So that is why the first twenty years we eat, sleep,
play and enjoy ourselves. For the next forty years
we slave in the sun to support our family. For the
next ten years we do monkey tricks to entertain the
grandchildren. And for the last ten years we sit on
the front porch and bark at everyone.

Life has now been explained to you

84 Likes 1 Share

Re: Charge Your Phone By Shouting At It by baseg25(m): 8:23pm On Aug 18, 2014
ilotriouzAY: Praise the lord

so mama ngozi nd iya idris(d noisemakers) go dey useful like dis

*dancing sekem*
haha, funny u.

1 Like

Re: Charge Your Phone By Shouting At It by baseg25(m): 8:25pm On Aug 18, 2014
Oh oh, where are the mods nw, i want this topic on the homepage, wana hear people thought on it.
Re: Charge Your Phone By Shouting At It by abdusalam7474: 8:27pm On Aug 18, 2014
Hey guys! look at it this way: you can charge your phone by playing music or by staying with a friend who plays music.

1 Like

Re: Charge Your Phone By Shouting At It by Nobody: 8:35pm On Aug 18, 2014
Those law makers no get problem at all,the noise made in the House Of Assembly can ensure that David Mark's battery will neva run down.

7 Likes

Re: Charge Your Phone By Shouting At It by Temihatz(m): 8:36pm On Aug 18, 2014
abdusalam7474: Hey guys think it this way: you can charge your phone by playing music or by staying with a friend who plays music.

How about u play music from your phone to charge same phone? tongue

1 Like

Re: Charge Your Phone By Shouting At It by baseg25(m): 9:23pm On Aug 18, 2014
Temihatz:

How about u play music from your phone to charge same phone? tongue
As the op of these post, you can do that by playing Rock music.

1 Like

Re: Charge Your Phone By Shouting At It by jsunex(m): 9:30pm On Aug 18, 2014
General street madness will now fully com into practice.. shouting till day break till my ba3 gets full

1 Like

Re: Charge Your Phone By Shouting At It by ekmaxop: 9:35pm On Aug 18, 2014
What's the essence in you buying a Nokia torch handset to back up
your smartphones just because d battery can last for a few days;
well, solution is finally here to make ur smartphones, ipads,
iphones, tecno, Samsung, HTC batteries last as long as the Nokia
torch batteries,
Order for your 4400mah, 5600mah, 12000mah, 20,000mAh and
30,000mAh capacity POWER BANK right now and say goodbye to low
batteries permanently... It could even charge two phones at d same
time... Call now.... 08033863100
Re: Charge Your Phone By Shouting At It by braine(m): 9:51pm On Aug 18, 2014
Ehen. Okay na.
Re: Charge Your Phone By Shouting At It by baseg25(m): 9:52pm On Aug 18, 2014
jsunex: General street madness will now fully com into practice.. shouting till day break till my ba3 gets full
abi na, i trust naija guyz

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

N470, 000 Iphone X: Apple Finally Reveals It's Best Ever Smartphone(Photos) / Why Is Everyone Selling Their Samsung Galaxy S5 / How To Subscribe And Watch Netflix Movies In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.