Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,848 members, 7,813,875 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:21 PM

Enugu Moves To Check Herdsmen, Farmers Clashes - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu Moves To Check Herdsmen, Farmers Clashes (2777 Views)

FG working “silently” to resolve herdsmen/farmers clashes – Lai Mohammed / Herdsmen, Farmers Clashes May Cause National Crisis – Oshiomhole, Mimiko / FG Moves To Check Fulani Herdsmen, Farmers Clashes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Enugu Moves To Check Herdsmen, Farmers Clashes by MayorofLagos(m): 2:28am On Aug 20, 2014
http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/news/national-news/175720-enugu-moves-to-check-herdsmen-farmers-clashes

THE Enugu State House of Assembly has commenced moves to end frequent violent clashes between herdsmen and farmers in the state through a bill.

The bill entitled “A law to make provisions for the control of nomadic cattle rearing in Enugu State and other matters related thereto” is sponsored by Chinedu Nwamba, representing Nsukka East Constituency.

The lawmaker in an interview with journalists said the bill when passed into law would promote symbiotic relationship between the farmers and the herdsmen.

Nwamba, who lamented that several lives and property have been lost in different parts of the country as a result of the clashes, urged other states to replicate the law.

“The main reason behind this bill is to ensure adequate peace between the two parties. Nobody in this country is ignorant of violent clashes, which have occurred as a result of disagreement between the farmers and the herdsmen.”

The bill provides for the establishment of grazing areas in each of the three senatorial zones of the state and the nomadic cattle rearers shall ensure that the cattle are confined within the grazing areas as provided.

It further provided that, “any person who permits cattle to graze in an area not designated as grazing area in the state, shall be guilty of an offence and shall on conviction be liable to six months imprisonment or a fine of N100,000 (one hundred thousand) or both.

“As from the commencement of this law, the commissioner shall appoint poundmasters in all the local government areas in the state, whose functions shall include the impounding of cattle found grazing in a non-designated grazing areas.”

According to the bill, “any cattle impounded under this law, which is not claimed within one week shall be sold in accordance with auction law; the proceeds of the sale shall be deposited in the government revenue.”

Meanwhile, the bill, which was mentioned at the House plenary session on Tuesday, is expected to be debated on Thursday.
Re: Enugu Moves To Check Herdsmen, Farmers Clashes by shizzle11(m): 2:35am On Aug 20, 2014
I hope this law is well thought out, they have to be really careful, re-occurrent attacks in plateau is not a distant memory

1 Like

Re: Enugu Moves To Check Herdsmen, Farmers Clashes by tiswell(m): 2:36am On Aug 20, 2014
Good move by Enugu state govt,but they should be wary of these 'nor-mads'...

1 Like

Re: Enugu Moves To Check Herdsmen, Farmers Clashes by Truckpusher(m): 2:38am On Aug 20, 2014
Donating land to fulani cattle rustlers in Igbo land is the greatest mistake of the century.
I give you guys 50yrs from now you'd be bitter about this useless and thoughtless gesture towards these invaders that have vowed to continue to conquer for their Othman Dan Fodio empire and caliphate.

Most of those cattle rustlers are spies ,they know all the routes and our forest vegetation in the South.
How many southerners can boast of knowing the north's topography like the back of their hand?

11 Likes

Re: Enugu Moves To Check Herdsmen, Farmers Clashes by gratiaeo(m): 2:51am On Aug 20, 2014
The bill is dead on arrival. Nsukka people and their foolish mentality sha...

2 Likes

Re: Enugu Moves To Check Herdsmen, Farmers Clashes by Tolexander: 2:51am On Aug 20, 2014
These Normads can't be satisfied.

If you try giving them a mile, they will one day go extra-miles.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu Moves To Check Herdsmen, Farmers Clashes by estyvino(m): 4:06am On Aug 20, 2014
gratiaeo: The bill is dead on arrival. Nsukka people and their foolish mentality sha...
must you show ur stupidity at all time! Gosh you stink!

3 Likes

Re: Enugu Moves To Check Herdsmen, Farmers Clashes by naijaking1: 4:35am On Aug 20, 2014
Truckpusher: Donating land to fulani cattle rustlers in Igbo land is the greatest mistake of the century.
I give you guys 50yrs from now you'd be bitter about this useless and thoughtless gesture towards these invaders that have vowed to continue to conquer for their Othman Dan Fodio empire and caliphate.

Most of those cattle rustlers are spies ,they know all the routes and our forest vegetation in the South.
How many southerners can boast of knowing the north's topography like the back of their hand?

My brother the Enugu house of assembly currently debating impeaching a deputy governor, because he reared chicken in his official residence doesn't stop to amaze us! They and their st--u-p-id governor are simply unbelievable!
When was the last time Kano state or any state in the north 'donated' land for Igbos. The assembly has to designate areas, not 'donate them' and then let cattle grazers buy, maintain, and manage these lands according to good business practices everywhere in the World.
We can't give scarce Igbo lands free to Hausas, because they never give theirs free to anybody!
Please God save us from Sullivan Chime and his choir boys at the assembly.

11 Likes

Re: Enugu Moves To Check Herdsmen, Farmers Clashes by impromptu: 4:47am On Aug 20, 2014
Nice move. Be your brother's keeper.
Re: Enugu Moves To Check Herdsmen, Farmers Clashes by arewafederation: 4:51am On Aug 20, 2014
I can see some "bad beles" are not happy with the kind gesture about to be offered to fulani nomads by Enugu state for puerile reasons.

You guys suck wallahi.

12 Likes

Re: Enugu Moves To Check Herdsmen, Farmers Clashes by naijaking1: 4:59am On Aug 20, 2014
arewafederation: I can see some "bad beles" are not happy with the kind gesture about to be offered to fulani nomads by Enugu state for puerile reasons.

You guys suck wallahi.

Just tell me the last time Kano, Sokoto, or Borno state governments ever "donated" lands to any sort of Igbo use, I mean church, school, civic building, what
Instead, if you have money to buy land in Kano the government would still restrict you from building a church or school, here we have some bunch of illiterate Enugu assembly men who have been obviously overfed for the past couple of years wanting to donate other people's land to Fulani cattle's men.

13 Likes

Re: Enugu Moves To Check Herdsmen, Farmers Clashes by kmariko: 5:52am On Aug 20, 2014
Its all about business, pure and simple.

The value chain will create jobs in the state

When people start looking at the business side of life devoid of primodal sentiments, the country will become more peaceful... Cos in business everyone understand one thing and one thing only... how to pay their bills chikiena.

1 Like

Re: Enugu Moves To Check Herdsmen, Farmers Clashes by arewafederation: 5:58am On Aug 20, 2014
naijaking1:

Just tell me the last time Kano, Sokoto, or Borno state governments ever "donated" lands to any sort of Igbo use, I mean church, school, civic building, what
Instead, if you have money to buy land in Kano the government would still restrict you from building a church or school, here we have some bunch of illiterate Enugu assembly men who have been obviously overfed for the past couple of years wanting to donate other people's land to Fulani cattle's men.

Your comment is part of the reasons why I want this country divided, but since that is not forth coming, I will keep mute for now.

Your reason for going against this move is because Ibos are not given free land in the north? You need to realise that the reasons for such action is for the greater good.

Some of you say they are merceneries, some say they are spies, many say all sort of things about them, but none of you deprive them their right to graze as Nigerians. The best solution is to contain and restrict their movements as such, give the govt control of their activities.

5 Likes

Re: Enugu Moves To Check Herdsmen, Farmers Clashes by arewafederation: 6:04am On Aug 20, 2014
Truckpusher: Donating land to fulani cattle rustlers in Igbo land is the greatest mistake of the century.

Do you know that many of these fulani nomads have NO RELIGION.

Stop this arrogant display of ignorance.

6 Likes

Re: Enugu Moves To Check Herdsmen, Farmers Clashes by ntyce(m): 6:10am On Aug 20, 2014
Ibos do business in the north so let the Fulani's also do their business in the east.
Re: Enugu Moves To Check Herdsmen, Farmers Clashes by Donfamous(m): 6:19am On Aug 20, 2014
arewafederation:

Do you not that many of these fulani nomads have NO RELIGION.

Stop this arrogant display of ignorance.
u guys are just demonic. Ilorin afonja will never forget how u paid evil for their generousity. Let d igbos be wise. (doe I'm not one of them) these guys has a vast of land untouched in their states. I don talk ma own

8 Likes

Re: Enugu Moves To Check Herdsmen, Farmers Clashes by dhardline(m): 6:20am On Aug 20, 2014
Very wrong move.

1 Like

Re: Enugu Moves To Check Herdsmen, Farmers Clashes by arewafederation: 6:25am On Aug 20, 2014
Donfamous: . [s] u guys are just demonic. Ilorin afonja will never forget how u paid evil for their generousity. Let d igbos be wise. (doe I'm not one of them) these guys has a vast of land untouched in their states. I don talk ma own [/s]

Make you talk better thing abeg.
Re: Enugu Moves To Check Herdsmen, Farmers Clashes by hushmail: 7:11am On Aug 20, 2014
very very wrong move

gve an inch they request a mile

thank God d bill z yet to b debated

must moblize to ensure is nt passed into law

2 Likes

Re: Enugu Moves To Check Herdsmen, Farmers Clashes by talktimi(m): 7:23am On Aug 20, 2014
It will be the greatest mistake for anybody to approve land/grazing settlements for these herds men. In saner climes, ranches are established by those who want to rear livestock like cattle. This thing has to be nipped in the bud now before the wahala going on in Plateau and Benue states becomes a regular bloody decimal down south

1 Like

Re: Enugu Moves To Check Herdsmen, Farmers Clashes by Donfamous(m): 7:26am On Aug 20, 2014
arewafederation:

Make you talk better thing abeg.
can u deny dat?

2 Likes

Re: Enugu Moves To Check Herdsmen, Farmers Clashes by arewafederation: 7:40am On Aug 20, 2014
undecided
Donfamous: can u deny dat?
Re: Enugu Moves To Check Herdsmen, Farmers Clashes by nurey(m): 7:42am On Aug 20, 2014
talktimi: It will be the greatest mistake for anybody to approve land/grazing settlements for these herds men. In saner climes, ranches are established by those who want to rear livestock like cattle. This thing has to be nipped in the bud now before the wahala going on in Plateau and Benue states becomes a regular bloody decimal down south

Fine in developed countries they have rangeland. The fulanis are nomads, they don't need range land for their herds, they need to move from one area to another.

Now you talk of range land, in Agriculture to have a range land there a calculations per head on your cows, are you telling me the nomads should buy 10hectares of land do you know how much that cost, also the best place for grazing in Nigeria is the southwest but at a particular time of the year, the land cannot be used because of tse tse fly. You all should blame GOV for neglect of its duties not the nomad that is a security treat to any location they are.

Until the Government consult learnered men Drs and profs, we will continue to have problems in all sectors and lives of Nigeria.
Re: Enugu Moves To Check Herdsmen, Farmers Clashes by gratiaeo(m): 7:46am On Aug 20, 2014
estyvino:
must you show ur stupidity at all time! Gosh you stink!
Better respect your self or if you're gonna act like a dick you might as well wear a condom

1 Like

Re: Enugu Moves To Check Herdsmen, Farmers Clashes by 1United1: 7:55am On Aug 20, 2014
But ENUGWU is no MAN's LAND! Hausa and Fulani contributed to the development of ENUGWU. So Fulani people have every right to demand their own Farm settlement.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu Moves To Check Herdsmen, Farmers Clashes by Akpaife(m): 8:12am On Aug 20, 2014
Enugu u can donate all ur land 2 fulani I dnt care it is ur piple dat will suffer 4 it,hausa/fulani sell land 2 igbos in d north if them need land let them buy land nt donating land 2 them,dat cow are them nt selling it? let them use d money 2 buy land
Dat nonsense will nt happen in Anambra or Aba else them will share all their cows dat day grin

1 Like

Re: Enugu Moves To Check Herdsmen, Farmers Clashes by prophetone(m): 8:28am On Aug 20, 2014
Sorry to derail, but has anyone seen thewarrior72? we have unfinished business.

thewarrior72: Op I don't know what u tend to gain from this ur topic, but whatever it is, It's ur own business undecided

Every rational igbo man/woman knows today,even if igbo man assume the presidency of this country it will never change the hapless situation of this discombobulated nation, hence will rather agitate/seek for BIAFRA, where one interest, one goal & one destiny would be in forefront.

Igbo-chop-sand-band, you have come to deceive again with the fantasies in your head, why are your people screaming from pillar to post seeking for a party to be accepted in? The PDP which you are squatting with is founded and controlled by northerners, and you have insulted the APC in your land in your usual political naivety. Every Igbo wants to have an Igbo President, even if for nothing, to ease your inferiority complex among all Nigerians. The only reason you support GJ is because of his performance (?) in the east and the names he deceived you with to strip you of your votes, does that not mean you want a President? The reason there has not been an Igbo President is not because you don't want it, but because you are politically and economically irrelevant. The North, Middle Belt and SW produces agriculture which contributes to the GDP of the country, the SS produces oil, what does the East contribute? Nothing! Empty chestbeaters.

thewarrior72: What did 30plus years of housa hausa leadership of this country brought bring to Nigeria or they their people in particular, but could not find one, not even one thing what celebrating.

You have come here with your self-consoling anti-north propaganda, the achievements of the north from it's years in power are innumerable. The fact that the northerner in not a chest-beater, and that you lack the exposure that travel affords educated minds does not mean you should showcase your resultant ignorance.

1.The fact that the North has the best motorable roads and agricultural infrastructure in the country did not come from losing wars.
2. The multiplicity of factories and industries in the north such as Textile, Cement, Milling, Dairy, Car Assembly (PAN) etc. were not achieved by being politically irrelevant.
3. The major source of electricity in the country (Kainji Dam) - Niger, the capital city - Abuja, the only Military Academy (NDA) - Kaduna, the only aviation college (NCAT) - Zaria, the only weapons manufacturer (DICON) - Kaduna, the first Car Factory (PAN) - Kaduna, should I continue or are you still asking what the North achieved with its power? For more visit https://www.nairaland.com/1841528/lions-den-arewa
4. The emergence of Dangote as the richest black man on earth, worth more than the entire Igbo industrialists put together, would not have been possible with Ojukwu in power.

thewarrior72: As someone who have has sat down and to ask my self myself some soul searching questions, like. What did 30plus years of housa hausa leadership of this country brought bring to Nigeria or they their people in particular, but could not find one, not even one thing what celebrating. Educationally most backward, human development poorest, Primary,secondary& university enrollment enrolment poorest. Their town & cities look worst worse than a typical rural areas in east. The few graduates they boost boast of can hardy hardly make a sentence in English.,is it the amajiri system or the higher high rate of maternal death, diseases & disabilities just to name a few. Thesame goes with Southwest, but on in a lighter smaller proportion than the nuth north.

With your level of illiteracy, ignorance and border line lack of cerebral capacity evidenced by your lack of comprehension, articulation, punctuation and diction are manifestations of the failure of your education (to which i advise you claim a refund from your headmaster) and mirrors the weakness of the educational system of the entire country, and the extent of human ignorance if left unchecked.

thewarrior72: Their town & cities look worst worse than a typical rural areas in east.

As i stated earlier, your regrettable lack of exposure can be an excuse for the utterance of such an audacious fallacy. The cities in the north have the best roads in the country and are cleaner than the whole of red sandy ala'igbo combined. The lack of ordinary land and scourge of erosion, heightened with the poor hygiene of the people has turned the whole of Aba, Owerri, Onitsha etc. into nose-shrivelling slums. For your info, i have been in Anambra and have seen the shanties and deplorable conditions your people live in. You cannot fool all the people, all the time. One would think you will be too busy dealing with the societal cancers of the east (robbery, kidnapping, baby production, granny rape_ cannibalism etc), or pondering on your political irrelevance to be peddling cheap propaganda.

7 Likes

Re: Enugu Moves To Check Herdsmen, Farmers Clashes by estyvino(m): 8:55am On Aug 20, 2014
gratiaeo:
Better respect your self or if you're gonna act like a dick you might as well wear a condom
as* hole
Re: Enugu Moves To Check Herdsmen, Farmers Clashes by asadike(f): 9:32am On Aug 20, 2014
odika sullivan acho go inwu?maka dis people he is extendin a hand shake 2 ga ata kwa isi ya?

2 Likes

Re: Enugu Moves To Check Herdsmen, Farmers Clashes by naijaking1: 9:40am On Aug 20, 2014
arewafederation:

Your comment is part of the reasons why I want this country divided, but since that is not forth coming, I will keep mute for now.

Your reason for going against this move is because Ibos are not given free land in the north? You need to realise that the reasons for such action is for the greater good.

Some of you say they are merceneries, some say they are spies, many say all sort of things about them, but none of you deprive them their right to graze as Nigerians. The best solution is to contain and restrict their movements as such, give the govt control of their activities.

What right does any Nigerian have to graze or trespass on another man's land?
Please show us where it says that you Fulani cattle grazer has a right under the constitution to graze on my land free of charge and anytime you want to?

2 Likes

Re: Enugu Moves To Check Herdsmen, Farmers Clashes by IGBOSON1: 9:40am On Aug 20, 2014
You see all those lush green hills we normally see in the north (specifically Adamawa highlands and Mambilla Plateau)......can someone tell me why all those hills are not enough for the herdsmen? Why do they leave all those places and come all the way down to the south?......Doesn't make sense!

3 Likes

Re: Enugu Moves To Check Herdsmen, Farmers Clashes by OrlandoOwoh(m): 9:51am On Aug 20, 2014
If Ndigbo can claim to be doing their businesses in the north for years, I see no reason why, knowing it would end incessant clashes with locals, the Enugu State House of Assembly shouldn't be commended.
Enugu Adigo Mma.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Yoruba Ronu! You Stand To Lose By Voting PDP (jimi Agbaje) In Lagos / EFCC Arrests Jonathan's Ex-adc / Wike Is Working: Nairalander Observation On Arriving PH Today(pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.