Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,141 members, 7,814,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:16 AM

Why Do Cockroaches Die Upside Down? - Science/Technology (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Why Do Cockroaches Die Upside Down? (35617 Views)

Big White Cockroaches ; Not The People From Your Village / Brain–brain Interface Allows Humans To Control Cockroaches With Their Minds / Cockroaches With Microphones Could Help Save Lives (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die Upside Down? by Toks2008(m): 12:20am On Sep 11, 2014
Not all of them do. If you're killing them with some sort of pesticide or neurotoxin, like Raid, their dying brains will cause spasms in their muscles. Frequently this will flip the roach over onto its back where it will then spasm uncontrollably and helplessly until brain death is reached. Most of the dead roaches you see are probably poisoned, which would explain why you're finding them that way. Roaches rarely meet their maker in a natural way out in the open; if they were to die naturally, they would probably be already too weak to leave the burrow. Too weak and slowly dying, the roaches dying of old age will most likely be on their bellies. But you'd never see them.

To recap: roaches have mini seizures when they're poisoned, flipping them onto their backs. By sampling bias, you probably only see the poisoned ones, and draw the conclusion that dead roaches die on their backs.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die Upside Down? by ibdeals1(m): 12:37am On Sep 11, 2014
undecided
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die Upside Down? by mctons: 6:36am On Sep 11, 2014
KillerBeauty: I really don't know why they die upside down
But I do know that whenever I see a cockroach lying straight up I pick up my slippers and I smash it to the ground.

That's all I care about

U are wicked o o 'Killer'
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die Upside Down? by mctons: 6:44am On Sep 11, 2014
Winners72: because jonathan is a cockroach.

You must be the greatest idiot of our generation, a lunatic. What correlation existed with Jonathan and the topic at hand?
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die Upside Down? by severee(m): 8:50am On Sep 11, 2014
Airforce1: ive been noticing this .... why is it ? how do they get upsidedown ? undecided

grin they are just being dramatic
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die Upside Down? by Goldienana(f): 10:41am On Sep 11, 2014
Dr Uchicha well done o

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die Upside Down? by Nobody: 10:54am On Sep 11, 2014
The reason is that when they turn upside down they will not be able to get up. So they die in that position.
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die Upside Down? by Airforce1(m): 12:52pm On Sep 11, 2014
grin
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die Upside Down? by felifeli: 3:41pm On Sep 11, 2014
severee:

grin they are just being dramatic
Ret.ard grin grin
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die Upside Down? by Nobody: 4:09pm On Sep 11, 2014
Airforce1: ive been noticing this .... why is it ? how do they get upsidedown ? undecided
see jamb question!
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die Upside Down? by Nobody: 4:59pm On Sep 11, 2014
adolfebad:

Have you tried using one of the capsules as a tablet? cheesy

Only females carries capsules. Its their egg/eggs
its called ootheca not sure about my spelling tho...lazy to check the proper spellings
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die Upside Down? by rajkuman: 6:37pm On Sep 11, 2014
Has anyone ever noticed that when a cockroach is turned upside down they find it difficult to turn back on their abdomen except they are supported by an object? Who knows why? Just curious!
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die Upside Down? by naturefellow(m): 12:11am On Sep 12, 2014
I really like this thread and the relevant responses that are following. It's educative as well as interesting.
For me that supine position for dying or dead cockroaches is very similar to what applies to critically injured and dying soldiers on the battlefield (no offence to military persons). It is assumed that it's just a convenient or comfortable position to pass away under the given circumstance.
In all the First Person Shooter Games I've played, my man always dies face up, with a blurry view of the sky moments before an enemy soldier comes to finish him off with a bullet, knife or boot to his head.
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die Upside Down? by okorouc(m): 3:39am On Sep 12, 2014
whatofyou: Most cockroaches that die upside down are the ones killed by insecticides. Something tells me that these insecticides work by blocking the holes in their abdomens, called spiracles. In a bid to 'draw' more air (surface area) as they tussle for life with the insecticide, they overturn themselves, then they die in that position.
Re: Why Do Cockroaches Die Upside Down? by Sike(m): 7:12am On Sep 12, 2014
corneremperor: Same reason why human beings don't die on their feet!
Gbam!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Mysterious Fireball Spotted In Sky Across Metro Detroit USA ( Pics, Video) / Nigerian Man Constructs A Transformer In Aba, Abia State (Photos, Video) / Top5 Strange Animals In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.