Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,056 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:10 AM

Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? (4202 Views)

General Idi Amin Of Uganda / Popular Quotes By Idi Amin Of Uganda / White Men Bowing To Idi Amin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by Nobody: 2:23pm On Aug 20, 2014
Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by Seun(m): 9:23pm On Aug 20, 2014
@GenBuhari: What is your opinion of Idi Amin? Do you think he was a good person and leader? Do you see any similarities between him and GMB?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by sheffyUTD(m): 9:59pm On Aug 20, 2014
Unfairly you said angry Do you share the same ideology
Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by Nobody: 10:01pm On Aug 20, 2014
I have only just started to look at his story so I am still learning about him.

One thing I have learnt about African leaders in history is that those the white man portrays as evil and bad are usually the patriotic.

In his case apart from the outrageous unproven claims of him being a mass murderer and drinking human blood, the hard facts remains that he looked after the interests of his people. He was an African nationalist who when hosted OAU he made a very pro-Africa and anti-imperialist opening speech - no wonder the white man has been trying discrediting since 1971.

But the truth is a stubborn thing it would keep popping up.

The obvious similarity with General Buhari of Nigeria is that they are both patriotic and were not willing to merely be the stooge of their former colonial masters.
Seun: @GenBuhari: What is your opinion of Idi Amin? Do you think he was a good person and leader? Do you see any similarities between him and GMB?
Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by Nobody: 10:07pm On Aug 20, 2014
What ideology do you consider he has?
sheffyUTD: Unfairly you said angry Do you share the same ideology
Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by neenar: 10:51pm On Aug 20, 2014
GenBuhari: What ideology do you consider he has?
You and all these your "postulations". undecided
Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by sheffyUTD(m): 11:14pm On Aug 20, 2014
GenBuhari: What ideology do you consider he has?

This summarises my view of him

"When asked about allegations of cannibalism, instead of denying it he replied 'I don't like human flesh. It's too salty for me.''
Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by birdman(m): 3:29am On Aug 21, 2014
GenBuhari: The obvious similarity with General Buhari of Nigeria is that they are both patriotic and were not willing to merely be the stooge of their former colonial masters.

Seriously, people stop it. They have nothing in common. Only God knows the hearts of Buhari and Idi Amin. One thing is for sure. Idi Amin was a buffoon in addition to being a stooge. Buhari was a wise disciplinarian. Their roads do not in any ways cross.
Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by Nobody: 8:59am On Aug 21, 2014
We need to stop allowing the white man to write our own history (about African leaders) for you and do your own research about them.

When I discovered that Abacha never looted and was a great leader, I decided to take another look at all the other African leaders that have been demonised by their former colonial masters and the white man in general. It is an eye opener that most have been the good leaders for their people.
birdman:

Seriously, people stop it. They have nothing in common. Only God knows the hearts of Buhari and Idi Amin. One thing is for sure. Idi Amin was a buffoon in addition to being a stooge. Buhari was a wise disciplinarian. Their roads do not in any ways cross.

1 Like

Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by Nobody: 9:01am On Aug 21, 2014
I guess you read that in a British newspaper right?

Propaganda has no limits
sheffyUTD:

This summarises my view of him

"When asked about allegations of cannibalism, instead of denying it he replied 'I don't like human flesh. It's too salty for me.''
Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by Seun(m): 9:07am On Aug 21, 2014
GenBuhari: When I discovered that Abacha never looted and was a great leader
Abacha, Idi Amin and Buhari. All misunderstood, all great leaders. So, can we expect Buhari to rule like the other two if he gets into power?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by bknight: 9:14am On Aug 21, 2014
Seun:
Abacha, Idi Amin and Buhari. All misunderstood, all great leaders. So, can we expect Buhari to rule like the other two if he gets into power?

Smart.
Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by Nobody: 3:07pm On Aug 21, 2014
Seun,
I don't want to argue with you.

I don't want to be banned ooh!! lipsrsealed

Like are said, I have just started to learn more about Idi Amin and he did his best for his country.

Abacha was a great leader for Nigeria and Africa that is for sure.

Buhari has already proven himself to be a great leader when he ruled between 31 Dec 1983 and 27 Aug 1985
Seun:
Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by Missy89(f): 7:29pm On Aug 21, 2014
Yes he was demonized, But he was a buffoon as well.

He doesn't have enough experience in running a country and he understood "standing up against the colonial powers" in a very bizarre way.
He thought that giving the factories/shops/industries that was operated by Asians in the country to the locals made him a hero, instead it killed the economy because the m0rons that got the loot had no experience how it worked.

3 Likes

Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by Nobody: 4:25am On Aug 22, 2014
You seem to have bought BBC's version of Ugandan history - lock stock and barrell.
Can you clarify exactly what made him a buffoon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jczYO8fokns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43BTSQSBZiI

Missy89: Yes he was demonized, But he was a buffoon as well.

He doesn't have enough experience in running a country and he understood "standing up against the colonial powers" in a very bizarre way.
He thought that giving the factories/shops/industries that was operated by Asians in the country to the locals made him a hero, instead it killed the economy because the m0rons that got the loot had no experience how it worked.

Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by sheffyUTD(m): 7:20am On Aug 22, 2014
GenBuhari: I guess you read that in a British newspaper right?

Propaganda has no limits

Perhaps not.

Every information do have a source. Including yours.
Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by Nobody: 10:19am On Aug 22, 2014
ok so you are just repeating what you heard?

On the contrary I am putting up videos to support my case.
sheffyUTD:

Perhaps not.

Every information do have a source. Including yours.
Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by sheffyUTD(m): 12:00pm On Aug 22, 2014
GenBuhari: ok so you are just repeating what you heard?

Yes now, to keep me busy lipsrsealed

GenBuhari:
On the contrary I am putting up videos to support my case.

Ok. Those are your personal work I suppose.
Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by EMANY01(m): 5:24pm On Aug 22, 2014
Was about to vent my anger on the thread and OP but looking again to see that it was started by no less by the general Buhari character,I just chose no to bother.
In fact knowing the OP I will answer to this thread saying as he said that idi Amin , abacha and buhari are wonderful individuals who have been misunderstood by their fellow countrymen and demonized by the ever greedy imperialist west.All their "alleged" misdeeds are figments of the imaginations of western saboteurs and their collaborators in their home countries.

[/sub]by the way I thought the op was banned,or is he using an alternate moniker? Either way I will patiently wait for Oga Jakumo, it's sure to one hell of a laugh.[sub]
Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 10:36pm On Aug 22, 2014
Idi Amin was and he's still a hero
Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by Nobody: 1:01pm On Aug 23, 2014
right on!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PstYhVPA7AM
CAMNEWTON4PRES: Idi Amin was and he's still a hero
Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by birdman(m): 1:48pm On Aug 23, 2014
GenBuhari: you need to start allowing the white man to write our own history (about African leaders) for you and do your own research about them.

When I discovered that Abacha never looted and was a great leader, I decided to take another look at all the other African leaders that have been demonised by their former colonial masters and the white man in general. It is an eye opener that most have been the good leaders for their people.

Did you see me quoting any white man anywhere? I dont need a phd to see idi amin was not the sharpest tool in the shed. Its probably why they chose him too
Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by Nobody: 2:27pm On Aug 23, 2014
No body can say he was not intelligent.
He may not have been educated but he was not unintelligent.

In any case intelligence and education does not equate to good leadership. What matters is common sense , patriotism and the best policies for your country.
birdman:
Did you see me quoting any white man anywhere? I dont need a phd to see idi amin was not the sharpest tool in the shed. Its probably why they chose him too
Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by gatiano(m): 10:09pm On Aug 23, 2014
any leader of a so called third country that is loved or praised by the west, needs to be thoroughly checked closed at all times in most cases, such leader are what is known as punkedified blackman, but if he is hated, just give him time, chance and importantly support.
Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by Nobody: 12:37am On Aug 24, 2014
Very very true.

just look at how Abacha was demonised whilst Thief Obasanjo and IBB (Babangida) were praised and their crimes ignored.

Simple rule of thumb any leader that is a friend of the west and is praised by them, is selling his country and those that are vilified like Mugabe is looking after his people.

The sooner we all begin recognising and applying this rule of thumb the better.
gatiano: any leader of a so called third country that is loved or praised by the west, needs to be thoroughly checked closed at all times in most cases, such leader are what is known as punkedified blackman, but if he is hated, just give him time, chance and importantly support.
Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by Nobody: 4:01pm On Aug 24, 2014
Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by Nobody: 8:55pm On Aug 24, 2014
let me know what you think

Are you all in shock that you had been taken in by the white man's misinformation and propaganda all these years?

genbuhari
Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by birdman(m): 2:17am On Aug 25, 2014
GenBuhari: No body can say he was not intelligent.
He may not have been educated but he was not unintelligent.

In any case intelligence and education does not equate to good leadership. What matters is common sense , patriotism and the best policies for your country.

you keep missing the point. I have eyes. I can see for myself what Idi Amin said and did. And based on that, he was not very intelligent. And I can see why the British chose him as their stooge. You on the other hand have a need to make African leaders into messiahs even when they are not deserving of it. If you praise those who do good and those who do evil just to fit your narrative, your praise becomes meaningless.

1 Like

Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by Nobody: 3:48am On Aug 25, 2014
Have you watched the videos, I have posted on this channel? undecided

It seems that you must be forming your opinion from the white man's portrayal and demonisation of him in their news stories and hollywood movies
birdman:

you keep missing the point. I have eyes. I can see for myself what Idi Amin said and did. And based on that, he was not very intelligent. And I can see why the British chose him as their stooge. You on the other hand have a need to make African leaders into messiahs even when they are not deserving of it. If you praise those who do good and those who do evil just to fit your narrative, your praise becomes meaningless.
Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by birdman(m): 4:23am On Aug 26, 2014
GenBuhari: Have you watched the videos, I have posted on this channel? undecided

It seems that you must be forming your opinion from the white man's portrayal and demonisation of him in their news stories and hollywood movies

What videos did you post? The under 5 minutes of cherry picked information? Just because propaganda is coming from an african mouth doesnt mean I check my brains at the door. How he got into power, how he stayed in power and why he was removed are well documented. This is the lens through which I view Idi Amin, not the flowery words he and his kin keep speaking. Frankly, I dont even care about his personal life.

Regardless of whatever good intentions he thought he had, he was a British stooge. And the reason they chose him as their stooge was because he wasnt the sharpest tool in the shed. He definitely want a Sankara. And while he may have realized his foolishness later on, it was too late, mostly because he dug his grave with his own hands. Hear that? Not the white man's hands. His own hands. So for the love of God, stop rambling about white man's protrayal of this or that. I am making up my own mind from freely available information, Google is your friend.

1 Like

Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by abdulwastecx(m): 4:34am On Aug 26, 2014
GenBuhari: We need to stop allowing the white man to write our own history (about African leaders) for you and do your own research about them.

we don't need the west to tell us how clueless some of African leaders are....

if they cannot do anything with the vast mineral resources we have in our, it summarized their incapability and lack of basic knowledge.

African leaders are not technocrats or patron by nature because of too many allegiance such as religion and ethnicity with ever increasing corruption and gross lack of knowledge.

idi ami, IBB, Abacha, Gadafi, OBJ, All ex Nigeria head of state are criminals and buffoon of IQ a bit better than that of Chimps
Re: Another Look At Idi Amin - Why Was He Unfairly Demonised? by Nobody: 4:35am On Aug 26, 2014
You have basically confirmed that you choose to form your opinion from the white man's portrayal and demonisation of him in their news stories and hollywood movies.

Am I right or wrong?
birdman:

What videos did you post? The under 5 minutes of cherry picked information? Just because propaganda is coming from an african mouth doesnt mean I check my brains at the door. How he got into power, how he stayed in power and why he was removed are well documented. This is the lens through which I view Idi Amin, not the flowery words he and his kin keep speaking. Frankly, I dont even care about his personal life.

Regardless of whatever good intentions he thought he had, he was a British stooge. And the reason they chose him as their stooge was because he wasnt the sharpest tool in the shed. He definitely want a Sankara. And while he may have realized his foolishness later on, it was too late, mostly because he dug his grave with his own hands. Hear that? Not the white man's hands. His own hands. So for the love of God, stop rambling about white man's protrayal of this or that. I am making up my own mind from freely available information, Google is your friend.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

US Alarmed By Russia's Satellite Maneuverability! / Happy Women's Day To All Women In This Forum / South Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.