Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,179 members, 7,821,988 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:53 PM

7 Things You Will Regret Not Doing In Your 20s - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 7 Things You Will Regret Not Doing In Your 20s (6174 Views)

Teacher Tortures 10-Year-Old Boy In Ogun For Not Doing His Homework (pic) / (PHOTO) What Is He Doing In The Classroom? / This Newspaper Clip Is So Hilarious. You Don't Wanna Regret Not Reading It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Things You Will Regret Not Doing In Your 20s by Suarezilla(m): 2:47pm On Aug 20, 2014
Is it even possible to have regrets in your 20s? After all, every failure is just another lesson to be learned, right?  Turns out there are quite a few regrets you can have as a 20-something (although the list is much shorter than in your 30s). 

Redditors recently voiced things that they regret not doing in their 20s. Read their answers to make sure you won’t have any regrets  in some of the best years of your life.

1. Not getting fit  Your 20-something metabolism can make you complacent with your  health , but start working on being fit and healthy earlier, and you definitely won’t regret it. After all, exercising and a  healthy diet  can increase your happiness and make all your experiences better.  For example, if you’re fit, you’ll be able to take on bucket list trips that require a lot of endurance and a certain fitness level, like climbing Machu Picchu. 

2. Not taking risks  So you’re heading down the traditional path to play it safe. Think of your 20s as a time for new experiences and don’t let your fears hold you back. You’re only young once! 

3. Rushing to be a grown-up  You’re eager to get started on life, but take the time to really enjoy the experience of being in your 20s. You have the rest of your life to act like a grown-up. Don’t feel obligated to follow a certain timeline.  “You don’t have to rush out and get a full-time career job at 21. You don’t have to shack up and marry the first person you meet at 24. You don’t have to buy a house or car and have babies by 27,” says Reddit user shewhogoesthere. “A lot of people I know who were in a hurry all through their 20s are now ending their 20s and feeling a bit depressed because they quickly extinguished their youth and hit all the goal posts and now they’re like, ‘What now?’ You can’t go back, you can’t be young again, why throw it away so quickly?”

4. Not starting a retirement fund  Every personal finance expert recommends starting putting money towards your retirement fund as early as possible. This is because the earlier you make your contributions, the greater the rewards with the magic of compounding. This means the more money you put in earlier, the faster it grows. 

5. Wasting time on people who don’t deserve your time  Yup, the old toxic friend syndrome. It seems like we have this regret in every decade of our life. But in your 20s, friends seem to take up more time and effort than other decades just because many of us are still looking for our significant others and haven’t had kids yet. Make sure that the time you spend on your friends is well spent and that you’re cultivating friendships that will last a lifetime. 

6. Not studying or moving abroad  You usually have fewer obligations in your 20s, so it’s a good time to pack up and actually live overseas for a while. It’s a completely different experience from travelling, and it’s worth doing if you can make it work. You’ll be out of your comfort zone culturally and in every other way possible, which is a tremendous learning experience that will open up your perspectives and world view.

7. Staying in bad relationships  This goes hand in hand with friends you shouldn’t waste time on. Your 20s will pass by in a flash, so make sure you’re spending it with the right people! Bad relationships — be they romantic or platonic — can really do a number on your self esteem, so don’t let them drag you down

9 Likes

Re: 7 Things You Will Regret Not Doing In Your 20s by Caseless: 3:01pm On Aug 20, 2014
I buy this post!
In ur 20s, make money and enjoy life b4 u marry. To rush into marriage at this age can create that sense of being a captive around u. Jst flex small...but always use condom .

5 Likes

Re: 7 Things You Will Regret Not Doing In Your 20s by jideomowunmi(f): 3:09pm On Aug 20, 2014
Number 5 and 7...d mistake am currently making...wish I know how to come out of it... cry cry cry

3 Likes

Re: 7 Things You Will Regret Not Doing In Your 20s by braine(m): 3:10pm On Aug 20, 2014
Okay, Noted.
Re: 7 Things You Will Regret Not Doing In Your 20s by Karlebolu(m): 3:25pm On Aug 20, 2014
jideomowunmi: Number 5 and 7...d mistake am currently making...wish I know how to come out of it... cry cry cry

The best way of getting out of an unfavorable situation is to get out!

No amount of epistle can get you out.

4 Likes

Re: 7 Things You Will Regret Not Doing In Your 20s by priscaoge(f): 3:30pm On Aug 20, 2014
No 7 cry cry

1 Like

Re: 7 Things You Will Regret Not Doing In Your 20s by Suarezilla(m): 3:47pm On Aug 20, 2014
No 7 seems a big problem for some people but I don't undastand how u remain in a relationship when u knw its heading nowhere..u block urslf from meeting other people that ought to make imact in ur life..simply walk out or live to regret!

2 Likes

Re: 7 Things You Will Regret Not Doing In Your 20s by Bryan12(m): 3:48pm On Aug 20, 2014
Crap!!!!! If I get enough money today I would break all these goddamnnn rules. angry

2 Likes

Re: 7 Things You Will Regret Not Doing In Your 20s by Donfamous(m): 4:20pm On Aug 20, 2014
Bryan12: Crap!!!!! If I get enough money today I would break all these goddamnnn rules. angry
but u can't get d money

1 Like

Re: 7 Things You Will Regret Not Doing In Your 20s by floragregs(f): 4:24pm On Aug 20, 2014
What kind of poor post arrangement is this na Op? Nice write up but the arrangement na die!

1 Like

Re: 7 Things You Will Regret Not Doing In Your 20s by erad(m): 4:31pm On Aug 20, 2014
Number 6 doesn't make much sense to me.

So you have to live overseas just because you are young and have lesser responsibilities?

Dreams and purposes are different. Your vision might not even require the sight of a border.

#MyOpinion.

5 Likes

Re: 7 Things You Will Regret Not Doing In Your 20s by Mrval20(m): 4:32pm On Aug 20, 2014
Nice post... But If you overdo number two, you won't even be alive to regret anything. I don't like hearing people say "you're only young once". Yes, I know you're only young once but an overdose of this mentality will lead you into making very poor and regrettable life decisions.... Just like the foolish "YOLO" phrase.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Things You Will Regret Not Doing In Your 20s by Annancy(f): 4:41pm On Aug 20, 2014
Nice write up

2 Likes

Re: 7 Things You Will Regret Not Doing In Your 20s by paranorman(m): 4:53pm On Aug 20, 2014
Ignorin pathetic rules potrayin to you how to live ur life. Life simple rules are:
-do unto others as you wan'em to do to you; love up.
-Work-hard and find ur 'rhythm'. Just because emeka studies accounting doesnt mean you should do same and u'l suceed. Remember, riches and wealth are two different thing and success def brings wealth.
-what you can do today, do it now and do it so well..!
-perseverance/longsufferin on ur 'rhythm'
-life is not fair. Remember that. Learn to forgive. Time and chance are different for diff people. Wait for ur time.
-learn to be content with what u have. Dont let things move you esp material things; move things, let'em be under ur control. Never compare urself with others. There's uniqness is variety, u dig?
- most importantly, serve/fear God in ur youth! This is the ultimate tin not to not do. this is wisdom, understandin and knowledge you need to make it exceptionally.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 7 Things You Will Regret Not Doing In Your 20s by experimentist: 4:54pm On Aug 20, 2014
1. Not smoking weed at 20.. Is very regretful.. Smoking weed at teen age sharpens the brain up.. Ask google if you don't believe me.. I started smoking at 16

4 Likes

Re: 7 Things You Will Regret Not Doing In Your 20s by SELENAqueensy(f): 5:07pm On Aug 20, 2014
Number 5 cry
Re: 7 Things You Will Regret Not Doing In Your 20s by Bryan12(m): 5:33pm On Aug 20, 2014
Donfamous: but u can't get d money
if na curse make e follow you.back to sender!!
Re: 7 Things You Will Regret Not Doing In Your 20s by Jarchi(m): 5:37pm On Aug 20, 2014
And the last is trusting your instinct
Next pls
Re: 7 Things You Will Regret Not Doing In Your 20s by gbenga4sure(m): 5:54pm On Aug 20, 2014
The main thing is to hustle in your 20s so as to become somebody later in the future
Re: 7 Things You Will Regret Not Doing In Your 20s by Dreyl(m): 6:13pm On Aug 20, 2014
Interesting!
Re: 7 Things You Will Regret Not Doing In Your 20s by TulargeConcept(m): 6:17pm On Aug 20, 2014
[b][/b] I Love this
Re: 7 Things You Will Regret Not Doing In Your 20s by Eragablessen(m): 6:27pm On Aug 20, 2014
[quote
author=paranorman]Ignorin pathetic rules potrayin to you how to live ur
life. Life simple rules are:
-do unto others as you wan'em to do to you; love up.
-Work-hard and find ur 'rhythm'. Just because emeka studies accounting
doesnt mean you should do same and u'l suceed. Remember, riches and
wealth are two different thing and success def brings wealth.
-what you can do today, do it now and do it so well..!
-perseverance/longsufferin on ur 'rhythm'
-life is not fair. Remember that. Learn to forgive. Time and chance are
different for diff people. Wait for ur time.
-learn to be content with what u have. Dont let things move you esp
material things; move things, let'em be under ur control. Never compare
urself with others. There's uniqness is variety, u dig?
- most importantly, serve/fear God in ur youth! This is the ultimate tin
not to not do. this is wisdom, understandin and knowledge you need to
make it exceptionally.[/quote]

Your post is what made my day..!!
Can I buy you a drink buddy...

1 Like

Re: 7 Things You Will Regret Not Doing In Your 20s by constance500: 6:35pm On Aug 20, 2014
experimentist: 1. Not smoking weed at 20.. Is very regretful.. Smoking weed at teen age sharpens the brain up.. Ask google if you don't believe me.. I started smoking at 16

grin
Re: 7 Things You Will Regret Not Doing In Your 20s by Donfamous(m): 6:41pm On Aug 20, 2014
Bryan12: if na curse make e follow you.back to sender!!
lmao. Fear fear, just kidding man
Re: 7 Things You Will Regret Not Doing In Your 20s by oooopss(m): 7:15pm On Aug 20, 2014
jideomowunmi: Number 5 and 7...d mistake am currently making...wish I know how to come out of it... cry cry cry

*stretches out his hand* here take my hand and let's get out of it
Re: 7 Things You Will Regret Not Doing In Your 20s by Truman155(m): 7:16pm On Aug 20, 2014
in-case it make front page #just talking to my self
Re: 7 Things You Will Regret Not Doing In Your 20s by experimentist: 7:17pm On Aug 20, 2014
constance500:

grin

Make sure ur baby smoke at early age. If possible put it in his baby food..

1 Like

Re: 7 Things You Will Regret Not Doing In Your 20s by Nobody: 7:20pm On Aug 20, 2014
undecided
caseless: I buy this post!
In ur 20s, make money and enjoy life b4 u marry. To rush into marriage at this age can create that sense of being a captive around u. Jst flex small...but always use condom and fear God sha.
How can you fear God and @ the same time use condom?

3 Likes

Re: 7 Things You Will Regret Not Doing In Your 20s by Vinx4Christ(m): 7:45pm On Aug 20, 2014
why is nobody talking about Giving your live to Christ? The earlier u give ur life to Christ the beta cos u wil not have regret, "It is good that one should hope and wait quietly For the salvation of the LORD. It is good for a man to bear The yoke in his youth." (Lamentations 3:26-27).

9 Likes

Re: 7 Things You Will Regret Not Doing In Your 20s by flowjoe: 8:06pm On Aug 20, 2014
experimentist: 1. Not smoking weed at 20.. Is very regretful.. Smoking weed at teen age sharpens the brain up.. Ask google if you don't believe me.. I started smoking at 16
Lol dem nearly pursue me from school after doping test coz of dis SH?t **i don quit
Re: 7 Things You Will Regret Not Doing In Your 20s by Andyblaze: 8:06pm On Aug 20, 2014
Cool

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Chemical Engineering? / Video Of Alleged Students Having Sex At A Party Spark Outrage / Unijos Receives $8m World Bank Grant For Research

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.