Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,444 members, 7,816,022 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:46 PM

Is The Bible Easy To Understand? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is The Bible Easy To Understand? (1997 Views)

Christians And Addiction: 5 Facts About Addiction That You Need To Understand / Who Is Your Favorite Bible Character And Why? / How To Understand Atheists: A Guide For Christians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Bible Easy To Understand? by Chrisbenogor(m): 8:55pm On Oct 22, 2008
I am just curious, everyday we come here and most of us pick up big issues and tear them to pieces. My question is, from what I have seen of the analysis of the bible so far, Christianity is not for the illiterate or even the semi-literate, the literate have to struggle to even fully understand, what do you think guys, Is the bible easy to understand?
Re: Is The Bible Easy To Understand? by DavidDylan(m): 11:34pm On Oct 22, 2008
Chrisbenogor:

I am just curious, everyday we come here and most of us pick up big issues and tear them to pieces. My question is, from what I have seen of the analysis of the bible so far, Christianity is not for the illiterate or even the semi-literate, the literate have to struggle to even fully understand, what do you think guys, Is the bible easy to understand?

you have it backwards . . . christianity is not for the unsaved.
Re: Is The Bible Easy To Understand? by JeSoul(f): 11:44pm On Oct 22, 2008
David has given you a perfect answer.

Understanding of the bible doesn't come from human intelligence or wisdom, it comes from the HolySpirit. Which is why a lotta biblical events and teachings don't make sense to the casual observer. The spirit is the one that gives relevation.

Chrisbenogor:

Au contraire . . . Jesus chose disciples that were fishermen, uneducated and yes illiterate. Christianity is for those who have a willing and humble heart, open to receiving wisdom from the only place it truly comes from, God.
Re: Is The Bible Easy To Understand? by naijacutee(f): 1:58am On Oct 23, 2008
Yes, I agree with the responses above. The Bible is not an easy book to read at all. One would have to be well-versed across several fields - literature, philosophy, science (ah, yes. . . science), politics, history etc to fully understand the Bible on his/her own. Illiterates reading the Old Testament and fully understanding it is simply miraculous. Even so, they kept asking Jesus questions about their findings. The Bible is not an easy book to read/understand at all, and one needs a little bit of extra help when reading it.
Re: Is The Bible Easy To Understand? by Nimshi: 3:27am On Oct 23, 2008
JeSoul:

Au contraire . . . Jesus chose disciples that were fishermen, uneducated and yes illiterate. Christianity is for those who have a willing and humble heart, open to receiving wisdom from the only place it truly comes from, God.

You've a good point. But, how did the fishermen do? How many books did Peter write?

But Paul, a man well versed in Law, is credited with several books, some of them with engaging logic; I liked the book of Hebrews. As you know, tough people aren't quite easily recruited: Paul's conversion on the Damascene road was short of violent intimidation. There's a difference in winning over fishermen and a lawyer and a doctor (like Luke, say); even Jesus knew it, and well enough to emerge from the heavens to execute the invaluable conversion of Paul, the author of Christianity.

And, if we'd look at the 'Old' testament, there's lots not to be easy about; try having a discussion with a Christian concerning the period of the exile; or the powerful book of Job, or some of the minor prophets? And what about aspects of the Israelite journey? And other historical accounts? I don't usualy get to hear anything beyond the talking points in the churches. No mistake: there're many Christian scholars and many who've delved into these things, but it's certainly not a conversation that could advance with many folks.
Re: Is The Bible Easy To Understand? by DavidDylan(m): 3:29am On Oct 23, 2008
Nimshi:

You've a good point. But, how did the fishermen do? How many books did Peter write?

the epistles of Peter.

It was Peter's preaching on the day of pentecost that brought over 3000 to the church in one day and began the movement that the likes of Paul continued.
Re: Is The Bible Easy To Understand? by Nimshi: 3:42am On Oct 23, 2008
DavidDylan:

the epistles of Peter.

It was Peter's preaching on the day of pentecost that brought over 3000 to the church in one day and began the movement that the likes of Paul continued.

Yeah, we know the books bearing Peter's name. How do those measure up with Paul's?

And, of course, there's no shortage of powerful speakers in the faith (which is why I was wondering about that Church asking pastors to go back to school. . .); see the rest of my post above: do you have any response to the rest of the post?
Re: Is The Bible Easy To Understand? by DavidDylan(m): 3:54am On Oct 23, 2008
Nimshi:

Yeah, we know the books bearing Peter's name. How do those measure up with Paul's?

"Measuring up" in what sense? The bible is not about eloquence or the human wisdom of the writers . . . both Paul's epistles and Peter's contained the central message of Christ's redemption of man.

Nimshi:

Paul, the author of Christianity.

This is a favorite islamic lie. Acts 11:26 records the origin of the word "christians". It tells us that the DISCIPLES (not Paul's followers) were first called christians in Antioch.
Acts 11 also tells us the disciples were already in Antioch well before Paul's conversion and it was in the Antioch church that Paul (who was still known then as Saul) grew in the christian faith for 1 whole yr before he began his ministry.

Bottomline - Paul did not "author" christianity. There were already "Christians" before Paul himself became saved.

Enough of this lie!

Nimshi:

And, if we'd look at the 'Old' testament, there's lots not to be easy about; try having a discussion with a Christian concerning the period of the exile; or the powerful book of Job, or some of the minor prophets? And what about aspects of the Israelite journey? And other historical accounts? I don't usualy get to hear anything beyond the talking points in the churches. No mistake: there're many Christian scholars and many who've delved into these things, but it's certainly not a conversation that could advance with many folks.

1. The quran isnt any easier actually, its way worse and more than 50% of muslims don't read it because they don't understand much of the mumbo jumbo there that seems to be bits and pieces of other stories patched together to fill space.

2. I mentioned earlier, the bible is not for those who are merely reading it simply to find an excuse to criticise it. Its those people who end up claiming it isnt easy to read.

3. The bible so far has been proven to be archeologically accurate and till tomorrow is the yardstick for much of the archeology in the area of Palestine, Syria, Jordan and Lebanon.
- The quran on the other hand is of no use, most of the places it mentions have been shown not to even exist at all.

4. Isnt it interesting that the average muslim would rather read the bible when it comes to stories about their "prophets" than the quran?

Mr. Nimshi, when next you want to make senseless arguments look at your own book first!
Re: Is The Bible Easy To Understand? by Nimshi: 4:14am On Oct 23, 2008
DavidDylan:

"Measuring up" in what sense? The bible is not about eloquence or the human wisdom of the writers . . . both Paul's epistles and Peter's contained the central message of Christ's redemption of man.

Agreed. Paul, the lawyer, is credited with waaaay more books than Peter the fisherman; hey, that's 13 of the 27 books of the NT. Heck, Paul had to sound Peter out on a matter of old law based on sound logic.

This is a favorite islamic lie. Acts 11:26 records the origin of the word "christians". It tells us that the DISCIPLES (not Paul's followers) were first called christians in Antioch.
Acts 11 also tells us the disciples were already in Antioch well before Paul's conversion and it was in the Antioch church that Paul (who was still known then as Saul) grew in the christian faith for 1 whole yr before he began his ministry.

Getting exercised again, David? Did Islam coin "Pauline Christianity' too? Look at Christianity today and tell what part of the practice of Christianity could be attributed to the teachings of Paul and the teachings of Jesus. The history of Christianity is clear about how Paul "came up with the doctrine that would turn Christianity from a small sect of Judaism into a worldwide faith that was open to all."

Bottomline - Paul did not "author" christianity. There were already "Christians" before Paul himself became saved.

You're missing the point. Paul came up with the doctrine that would turn Christianity from a small sect of Judaism into a worldwide faith that was open to all."

Enough of this lie!

Calm down, David; it's only a discussion. And it's not an Islamic one.

1. The quran isnt any easier actually, its way worse and more than 50% of muslims don't read it because they don't understand much of the mumbo jumbo there that seems to be bits and pieces of other stories patched together to fill space.

Again, the "you too" argument. even if what you wrote here is true, how does that invalidate the original post?

2. I mentioned earlier, the bible is not for those who are merely reading it simply to find an excuse to criticise it. Its those people who end up claiming it isnt easy to read.

That's very funny. What're your favourite bible passages?

3. The bible so far has been proven to be archeologically accurate and till tomorrow is the yardstick for much of the archeology in the area of Palestine, Syria, Jordan and Lebanon.

You may be right. But there's yet to be much evidence of the crosing of the Reed, eh; plus a few other stuff.

- The quran on the other hand is of no use, most of the places it mentions have been shown not to even exist at all.

On the contrary, there is more proof of the historicity of the Prophet than there would ever be of Jesus. And, what the Prophet did in 23 years, the older religion couldn't do for thousands. You're way out of your depths to try to compare the historicity of the Prophet with that of Jesus; there's no comparison there. Don't even go there.

Yet, that's not what we're talking about. I you like, open a thread on this, we could discuss rationally.

Mr. Nimshi, when next you want to make senseless arguments look at your own book first!

Tu quoque. Never a valid course of argument.

And, tone down with the exclamation marks; what's it with you? Don't get worked up. Facts are facts.
Re: Is The Bible Easy To Understand? by Godcan87: 4:26am On Oct 23, 2008
It is only wen u allow d Holy spirit 2 take control of ur understanding dat u can get e real understanding of d bible without mixing it up.Just try dis
Re: Is The Bible Easy To Understand? by DavidDylan(m): 4:29am On Oct 23, 2008
Nimshi:

Agreed. Paul, the lawyer, is credited with waaaay more books than Peter the fisherman; hey, that's 13 of the 27 books of the NT. Heck, Paul had to sound Peter out on a matter of old law based on sound logic.

Essentially beacuse Paul was sent as the apostle to the gentiles. Much of the new testament epistles were written to gentile churches.

Nimshi:

Getting exercised again, David? Did Islam coin "Pauline Christianity' too? Look at Christianity today and tell what part of the practice of Christianity could be attributed to the teachings of Paul and the teachings of Jesus. T[b]he history of Christianity is clear[/b] about how Paul "came up with the doctrine that would turn Christianity from a small sect of Judaism into a worldwide faith that was open to all."

strangely, this "history" is "clear" ONLY to muslims. If you bothered to read through the bible at all rather than making "smart"remarks, Paul said absolutely nothing different from Peter's preaching on the day of Pentecost, Philip's message or that of Stephen's.

The portion i highlighted in blue is strange to me, in 20 years of reading the bible i have yet to come across a part of christianity where Paul differed from the teachings of Christ. if u have an example please share.

Nimshi:

You're missing the point. Paul came up with the doctrine that would turn Christianity from a small sect of Judaism into a worldwide faith that was open to all."

That's false. Paul "came up" with nothing new. He took the very same gospel to the gentiles.

Nimshi:

Calm down, David; it's only a discussion. And it's not an Islamic one.

I am calm and understand this is not islamic but it is important that as we discuss this issue we also show u up for the hypocrite u are.

Nimshi:

On the contrary, there is more proof of the historicity of the Prophet than there would ever be of Jesus. And, what the Prophet did in 23 years, the older religion couldn't do for thousands. You're way out of your depths to try to compare the historicity of the Prophet with that  of Jesus; there's no comparison there. Don't even go there.

My dear lets not decieve ourselves. The history of the prophet is muddy at best, much of his "tales" are non-existent at worst. What did the "prophet" do in 23 years beyond merely plagiarising the bible? Have you ever wondered why the prophet specifically hated the jews?

Why have we no archeological evidence to corroborate the quran? Why has much of the excavation in Israel, Egypt, Jordan, Syria been based on documented biblical evidence?

Nimshi:

Tu quoque. Never a valid course of argument.

And, tone down with the exclamation marks; what's it with you? Don't get worked up. Facts are facts.

I don't see any "facts" in ur post.
Re: Is The Bible Easy To Understand? by DavidDylan(m): 4:38am On Oct 23, 2008
I know we arent talking about the quran here but a muslim has no standing pretending to be wondering why the bible is allegedly difficult to understand when he cant even understand his own quran.

More muslims can "find"mohammad in the bible than they can in the quran.
Muslims would rather read up on Jesus in the false "gospel of barnabas" than the quran.
Muslims spend too much time quoting the scriptures, only very few are knowledgeable enough to quote the quran, dont even ask them about the hadiths . . . they dont know.
Muslims talk a lot about Abraham, much of what they know is from the bible . . . the quran is extremely sketchy on him.
Muslims talk about "One God" . . . all the while busy quoting the new testament.

And yet the same people come here crying that the bible is difficult to understand? Have they read their own quran?

I can spend time going thru the difficult portions of the bible with atheists like chrisbenogor, i dont have such patience for hypocritical muslims like nimshi.
Re: Is The Bible Easy To Understand? by Nimshi: 5:01am On Oct 23, 2008
DavidDylan:

Essentially beacuse Paul was sent as the apostle to the gentiles. Much of the new testament epistles were written to gentile churches.

Ok, a good point. But, the book of Hebrews, say, what was that about?

strangely, this "history" is "clear" ONLY to muslims. If you bothered to read through the bible at all rather than making "smart"remarks, Paul said absolutely nothing different from Peter's preaching on the day of Pentecost, Philip's message or that of Stephen's.

You're incorrect. Since you wrote "strangely, this "history" is "clear" ONLY to muslims": will you change your opinion if I gave references from Christians? I'm making a definite challenge here, will you rise up to it? The fact is that it is Christian scholars, including Catholics (and a nun, at least) who have adcanced this line of reasoning.

The portion i highlighted in blue is strange to me, in 20 years of reading the bible i have yet to come across a part of christianity where Paul differed from the teachings of Christ. if u have an example please share.

Although I wasn't talking about "disagreement", but here, I'll give you an example since you asked for one: Read Matthew Chapter 6, with the focus on prayer. Compare with Paul's first to Timothy in Chaper 2 v 8, say.

That's false. Paul "came up" with nothing new. He took the very same gospel to the gentiles.

Quite the contrary. Paul came up with plenty new. There's one up here for you to attend to.

The history of the prophet is muddy at best, much of his "tales" are non-existent at worst. What did the "prophet" do in 23 years beyond merely plagiarising the bible? Have you ever wondered why the prophet specifically hated the jews?

You are ignorant of history, David. there're many good things you could say for Jesus, but it is quite weak to compare historicity.

Why have we no archeological evidence to corroborate the quran? Why has much of the excavation in Israel, Egypt, Jordan, Syria been based on documented biblical evidence?

What're you talking about? Do you know the use of archeological evidence? Why're you asking for "archeological evidence to corroborate the quran"??

I don't see any "facts" in ur post.

Of course, you see all you want to see.
Re: Is The Bible Easy To Understand? by Cayon(f): 5:06am On Oct 23, 2008
yes the Bible is easy to understand - just that some folks haven't been able to decipher bible verses accurately hence the many contradicting answers - especially those reading from the "many new bible versions"   Thats why I'll encourage folks to stick with the old King James Version.   Plus with so many denominations (finding bible verses to support their denominations)  each with their own truth, which by necessity must contradict the other.

From the King James Bible you now have the following (see below)

International Standard Version

GOD'S WORD® Translation

American King James Version

American Standard Version

New King James Version

Bible in Basic English

Douay-Rheims Bible

Darby Bible Translation

English Revised Version

Weymouth New Testament

World English Bible

Young's Literal Translation
Re: Is The Bible Easy To Understand? by DavidDylan(m): 5:15am On Oct 23, 2008
Nimshi:

Ok, a good point. But, the book of Hebrews, say, what was that about?

This is further example of your poor scholarship . . . the authorship of the epistle to the Hebrews is unknown. Pls pls try and do a simple google search at least before saying anything.

Nimshi:

You're incorrect. Since you wrote "strangely, this "history" is "clear" ONLY to muslims": will you change your opinion if I gave references from Christians? I'm making a definite challenge here, will you rise up to it? The fact is that it is Christian scholars, including Catholics (and a nun, at least) who have adcanced this line of reasoning.

I stand by my word. It doesnt seem you know anything about the bible and its message.

Nimshi:

Although I wasn't talking about "disagreement", but here, I'll give you an example since you asked for one: Read Matthew Chapter 6, with the focus on prayer. Compare with Paul's first to Timothy in Chaper 2 v 8, say.

Here is 1 Tim 2:8 I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.

Now here is Matthew 6 with the areas on prayer - 5And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

6But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

7But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

8Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

9After this manner therefore pray ye:

What is "contradictory" here? Are you just saying anything you can think of? Have you taken time to study in detail your false claims? Paul admonishes that men pray lifting up Holy hands in worship as a sign of reference. Christ said nothing about whether to pray with hands up or in your pocket . . . and u claim contradiction?

Nimshi:

Quite the contrary. Paul came up with plenty new. There's one up here for you to attend to.

lol this man needs to do more study.

Nimshi:

You are ignorant of history, David. there're many good things you could say for Jesus, but it is quite weak to compare historicity.

Why dont you provide us this history bro? I can certainly provide plenty. Enough of muslims just making claims they cant defend. The personality of Christ has been relentlessly attacked for 2000 yrs, if He were historically weak i doubt there'd be jews and christians today.

Nimshi:

What're you talking about? Do you know the use of archeological evidence? Why're you asking for "archeological evidence to corroborate the quran"??

Archeological evidence is highly important here. It helps us tell us whether the writers of the quran or the bible were lying or not. Much of the bible has been proven to be archeologically accurate. What of ur quran? Why are muslims afraid of history and archeology?

Nimshi:

Of course, you see all you want to see.

Just the same way you see "contradictions" you conjure in your mind.
Re: Is The Bible Easy To Understand? by Godcan87: 5:34am On Oct 23, 2008
It is only wen u allow d Holy spirit 2 take control of ur understanding dat u can get e real understanding of d bible without mixing it up.Just try dis
Re: Is The Bible Easy To Understand? by Chrisbenogor(m): 7:54am On Oct 23, 2008
@david
Although I respect your views I still do not agree about your assertions concerning the unsaved. But that is not the issue here, neither is islam or the quaran.
Let me give you some practical examples of what I mean,
1. Do you think a primary 6 school leaving certificate holder would be able to understand the bible the way you do?
Yes I agree anyone can pick up the bible and read but honestly speaking are you saying one's command of language plays absolutely no role in how he or she understands it?
I was taught figures of speech in my early secondary school and even to this day I can barely pick out those that are not common, but the bible seems to be full of them.
@Jesoul
Thanks for your input but your assertions really have no substance, look above at the questions I asked david, how would the spirit minister to a semi literate person who does not understand what an hyperbole means? Or what a metaphor is? I like being honest in my discussions so if you know you are not capable of being honest in your answers don't bother to respond.
@Godcan87
People allowed the spirit take control and look you have 30000 sects in christianity, I personally think christians are really very dishonest when it comes to even issues as simple as this, I asked david some questions try and answer them too the holy spirit wild card does not fit into it, try another one.
@naijacutee
I agree with you totally, just look at pilgrim for instance the girl oozes knowledge, she is far better than 90 percent of pastors I have seen at trying to interprete the bible, to me she is the pinnacle on nairaland when it comes to christian faith issues, look at her diction, awesome , somebody can say spirit but me I say its her level and area of education that gives her such a sharp cutting edge. I agree with you totally.
Re: Is The Bible Easy To Understand? by Okijajuju1(m): 9:22am On Oct 23, 2008
Chrisbenogor:

@david
Although I respect your views I still do not agree about your assertions concerning the unsaved. But that is not the issue here, neither is islam or the quaran.
Let me give you some practical examples of what I mean,
1. Do you think a primary 6 school leaving certificate holder would be able to understand the bible the way you do?
Yes I agree anyone can pick up the bible and read but honestly speaking are you saying one's command of language plays absolutely no role in how he or she understands it?
I was taught figures of speech in my early secondary school and even to this day I can barely pick out those that are not common, but the bible seems to be full of them.
@Jesoul
Thanks for your input but your assertions really have no substance, look above at the questions I asked david, how would the spirit minister to a semi literate person who does not understand what an hyperbole means? Or what a metaphor is? I like being honest in my discussions so if you know you are not capable of being honest in your answers don't bother to respond.
@Godcan87
People allowed the spirit take control and look you have 30000 sects in christianity, I personally think christians are really very dishonest when it comes to even issues as simple as this, I asked david some questions try and answer them too the holy spirit wild card does not fit into it, try another one.
@naijacutee
I agree with you totally, just look at pilgrim for instance the girl oozes knowledge, she is far better than 90 percent of pastors I have seen at trying to interprete the bible, to me she is the pinnacle on nairaland when it comes to christian faith issues, look at her diction, awesome , somebody can say spirit but me I say its her level and area of education that gives her such a sharp cutting edge. I agree with you totally.

I couldnt agree more with you on the highlighted portion of your post.
So I think its fair to say the spirit is the problem. Cos the meanings and conclusions that can be drawn from every bible passage differs form one person to the next. The Jehivahs witnesses believe that they will inherit the earth, the catholics believe you can die a saint, the cherubim and seraphims believe that we should wear white to appear holy in the sight of God, The deeper lifers believe that if you wear jewellries you be like jezebel, e.t.c and they get their justifications from the bible.

Is the bible difficult to understand, hells yeah it is.

Many christians do not even know anything in the bible other than what their pastors tell them. People still cant differnciate which parts of the bible should be considered "figures of speech" and where shoul be taken literarilly. Spare the rod, spoil the child, your eye causes you to sin, pluck it off, the dead in christ shall be arisen with him, what shall it profit a man. . . . . . . . . . . . . Lets also not forget the english in which the king james version is written dosent even help matters, And to help you understand just how confusing the bible really is, try taking a bible with different translations and compare texts, and i hear its worse if you lay your hands on the original hebrew texts.

Like chris asked, a child reading the bible only knows jesus died for our sin, why he had to die or was his death necessary is still a matter of personal opinion. People have even gone as far as saying the bible is an acurate recording of history which when compared with scientifically proven facts only goes further to confound the reader.
Its even worse for the illiterates cos they think they know. These group form 75% of the christians in our churches.
Re: Is The Bible Easy To Understand? by KunleOshob(m): 10:15am On Oct 23, 2008
The problem with most christians(especially those who claim to be sprit filled) don't understand the bible. They only claim to. Before you can truely understand the bible, one as to put the bible in context and be able to understand the circumstances surrounding the compilation of the bible. Answers to certain questions must be known, such as:
1. How did the bible come about?

2.When was it compiled?
3. Who compiled it?
4.For what purpose was it compiled?
5.what criteria was used by those who compiled it to select the books chosen?
6.why did they compile it?
7.What was the motive of the people that compiled it?
8.what was the competence of the people that compile it?
9.Why were some books that the early Apsotles considered scripture omitted from our mordern bible?
10.why are there various versions of the bible?
11.why are there numerous translations of the bible?
12. how do i know which version or translation to trust?
13. who wrote the individual books of the bible and for what purpose was it written.
14.Is the individual book an historical record, Prophetic book, praise and worship book or an epistle(long letter)

For us to assume as christians that the bible is perfect would be to be absolutely naive. Anybody that as answered at least half of the questions i posed above would understand that there was a lot of human inputs and politics involved in the make up and compilation of the bible and there was absolutely nothing divine about it. That is not to say some books of the bible are not divinely inspired, quite a lot of the books certainly are. A lot of them contain accurate historical records of God's manifestation of himself to mankind. I know some fellow christians would put me under attack for daring to critisize the bible but i am not bothered since the bible is a creation of Man. Jesus christ promised to send the holy spirit to help guide our christian lives, he did not promise us a cannon of scriptures(the bible). Unfortunately most people that profess christianity and claim to have the holy spirit in there lives have actually shut the holy spirit out of their lives. They are just plain religious people and not spirit fiiled.
Re: Is The Bible Easy To Understand? by mazaje(m): 10:18am On Oct 23, 2008
You need to be educated to understand the bible simple. . . The holy spirit crap is the reason why we have over 30,000 sects(religions) in christianity most of which are at each others neck fighting and denouncing each other. . . . The holy spirit argument falls falt because if there was any such things as the holy spirit there will be a Universal accepted christainity because the holy spirit will give out the same message to every one it reaches. . .  why is there no universally accepted christainity or christain doctorine? is the holy spirit at conflict with itself to the extent that it gives conflicting messages to people? different sects of christainity have very different doctorines and they all claim to have recieved their inspiration/messages from the holy spirit. . . why is that so? is the holy spirit at war with itself? the same holy spirit is what the catholics, jehova witness, baptist, lutheran, anglicans, white garment wearing, seven day adventist, protestants, mormons, greek othordox etc claim to have inspired their message/doctorines. . . who amongst them is lying and who is telling the truth? the holy spirit can not send out conflicting messsages to all these sects i just listed because they hardly agree on a single issue apart from the fact that jesus died on the cross. . . . . who and what is the holy spirit? does prophet TB joshua and the pope believe in the same holy spirit? why are their messages different? Does pastor chris oyahkilome and pastor kumuyi of depper life bible church recieve their inspiration from the same holy spirit? why are their messages very different and at conflict with each other? does bishop TD jakes and olumba olumba believe in the same holy spirit? why all the different messages/doctorines alluded to the same holy spirit? again is the holy spirit at war or in disagreement with itself? why is there no single and universally accepted christainity from the same holy spirit every body alludes to?
Re: Is The Bible Easy To Understand? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:52am On Oct 23, 2008
The Bible can be many things to different people depending on their motives.  The Bible is like a rope thrown to a person who is stuck in a deep pit.  An optimistic person of faith can use the rope as a means of escape such as a lifeline or if he is despairing, doubting, unbelieving and pessimistic, may use it as a noose to hang himself.  It is the same sun that shines on clay that hardens it also shines on a coarse sand and when rainfall comes water will not penetrate the clay while the coarse sand sucks it up. The condition of your heart will determine whether it gets hardened or receptive when the water of the Word falls on it.  

To understand the Bible you will have to look at the disposition of your heart.  Do you take pride in your intellect and knowledge and idolize it?  This is the recipe that will make your heart to get hardened as that of Pharoah's, or do you come to God in humility acknowledging your ignorance and emptiness and willing to obey the truth when it is revealed?  Your attitude determines your altitude.

The Bible is essentially revealing Jesus Christ, as He is in the Old testament concealed and in the New Testament revealed.  The Old Testament talks about Him in foreshadows, pictures, types, prophecies and metaphorically, but the New Testament reveals His very Person as the Truth personified.

Therefore, to really understand, recognise and comphrehend the Bible you've got to know the author of the Bible who is the Holy Spirit, Who will guide you into all Truth.(John 16:13);  He tells us that Jesus Christ was the Word of God who became human and was full of grace and truth. (John 1:14);  Jesus taught us that to worship God we can only do so in Spirit and in Truth. (John 4:24); Jesus said further that you shall know the Truth and the Truth shall make you free and whoever the Son makes free is free indeed. (John 8:32,36);

So, the Bible is the Word of God who became flesh and blood that we now know as the Son of God, Who is the living Word of God.  When we believe and receive the Son of God who is the Truth personified we will become children of God. The Son of God became the Son of man so as to make the sons of men become the sons of God. (John 1:12).  To understand the Bible you have to know the Son of God intimately, just as you will best understand a book when you personally know and understand the author of the book.

To know Him intimately you have to acknowledge your sin and repent of them.  Put your trust in Jesus as you will trust  in a parachute when you have to jump from a plane that is about to crash.  Receive Him as your personal Saviour and Lord.  If you believe in the parachute you will have to put it on and not just have a mental accent of it.  So put on the Lord Jesus and accept His righteousness by faith and then the Holy Spirit will take over from there and guide you into all truth.  As you prayerfully and slowly and meditatively read and study the gospels especially starting with the gospel of John to the epistles of John so as to get intimate with the Person of our Lord Jesus Christ and in the light of this you will be better equipped to see Jesus in the Old Testament how it talks about Him.

And remember, that the Bible is not just an ordinary book it is a spiritual book that is coded and you will need the Holy Spirit to decode it. wink
Re: Is The Bible Easy To Understand? by KunleOshob(m): 11:21am On Oct 23, 2008
OLAADEGBU:

So, the Bible is the Word of God who became flesh and blood that we know as the Son of God, Who is the living Word of God. When we believe and receive the Son of God who is the Truth personified we will become children of God. The Son of God became the Son of man so as to make the sons of men become the sons of God. (John 1:12). To understand the Bible you have to know the Son of God intimately, just as you will best understand a book when you personally know and understand the author of the book.

It is this kind of statement above(highlighted) that tends to bring christianity to ridicle. Sometimes in our over zealousness to defend the bible as the word of God, christians make this kind of unfounded and unscriptural claim. Which can not be backed scriptural neither can it stand the test of faith or scrutiny. Fos clarities sake the bible was not copiled until over 300years after the death of Christ and christ never promised or sent any bible to man. The idea of the bible was strictly an idea of the catholic church and thee contents was greatly influenced by a roman emperor(constantine). Whilst it is profitable to learn from the bible wemust be discerning as christians we should also learn not to Idolize by equating it to the son of God as my brother did in the previos post highlighted above.
Re: Is The Bible Easy To Understand? by mazaje(m): 11:39am On Oct 23, 2008
@ OLAADEGBU
what are you saying? is the bible jesus or what? when did the bible become the bible? was there a bible during the times of jesus? listen to yourself. . . . . .

the Bible is the Word of God who became flesh and blood that we know as the Son of God

You be sarah palin? why do you keep throwing words out there even if they dont make any sense. . . .
Re: Is The Bible Easy To Understand? by Chrisbenogor(m): 12:04pm On Oct 23, 2008
@olaadegbu
I don't even want to reply to the rubbish you just posted, see what I am saying even you that thinks you have the spirit would be considered a mad man in the circles of the religious scholars.
@kunle
I loved your reply, not because it may look like an attack but there is a lot of sense in what you said, I was reading that holy business man thread yesterday and I thought to myself that the business thrives because of the ambiguity of the bible, you know most people think the bible was ordained to be used as one book and I think that is the main reason why its parts are not coherent, hence the christian apologists have to go to lengths to defend it. You hear statements like I don't read the bible in isolation, this is because of the huge fear that someone else might have been told something different by the spirit or inspired to write his ideas differently, did the other apostles agree with what those that are in the bible wrote? I say that this division started a long time ago christianity was never one.
@mazaje
How body na
@okija
How ph, I fit enter there later today, I hear say dem don dey kidnap normal people too, no shaking sha I no get hostage value lol.
Re: Is The Bible Easy To Understand? by mazaje(m): 12:21pm On Oct 23, 2008
@ Chrisbenogor

baba how far? body dey ohh, man no fit complain. . . every dey fine. . . .

@ topic

Christianity was never one. . . .
Re: Is The Bible Easy To Understand? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:23pm On Oct 23, 2008
Let the Bible speak by itself

"For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.

Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?

For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:
But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;
But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.
Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men
."

1 Corinthians 1:18-25
Re: Is The Bible Easy To Understand? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:39pm On Oct 23, 2008
The Bible speaks loud and clear
[b]
"Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are perfect: yet not the wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world, that come to nought:

But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory:

Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.

For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.

For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? but we have the mind of Christ
."[/b]

1 Corinthians 2:6-16
Re: Is The Bible Easy To Understand? by mazaje(m): 12:39pm On Oct 23, 2008
OLAADEGBU:

Let the Bible speak by itself

"For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.

Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?

For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:
But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;
But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.
Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men
."

1 Corinthians 1:18-25

Keep on deluding your self with these nonsense proactive lines from the bible. . . . it is written that the biblical god will destroy the wisdom of the wise cheesy cheesy cheesy lol i rather live by the wisdom of the wise than live by the rules of a being that kills babies for the sins of their parents. . . . .
Re: Is The Bible Easy To Understand? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:00pm On Oct 23, 2008
The Word of God is alive and Powerful and sharper than a two edged sword

[b]"For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;

Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.

For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.

Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:

Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:

And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,

Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,

Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:

Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them."
[/b]

Romans 1:18-32

(KunleOshob, Mazaje and Chrisbenogor, I hope you are still there)
Re: Is The Bible Easy To Understand? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:38pm On Oct 23, 2008
"Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says: Today, if you will hear His voice,

Do not harden your hearts, as [happened] in the rebellion [of Israel] and their provocation and [embitterment [of Me] in the day of testing in the wilderness,

Where your fathers tried [My patience] and tested [My forbearance] and found I stood their test, and they saw My works for forty years.

And so I was provoked (displeased and sorely grieved) with that generation, and said, They always err and are led astray in their hearts, and they have not perceived or recognized My ways and become progressively better and more experimentally and intimately acquainted with them.

Accordingly, I swore in My wrath and indignation, They shall not enter into My rest.

[Therefore beware] brethren, take care, lest there be in any one of you a wicked, unbelieving heart [which refuses to cleave to, trust in, and rely on Him], leading you to turn away and desert or stand aloof from the living God."

Hebrews 3:7-12

It is not too late to repent of your unbelief today while there is still mercy, don't wait until it is too late.  If God did not spare the Jews in the wilderness, don't think He will do otherwise if you refuse to repent.  It will not be wise to continue to harden your hearts against your Creator as Pharaoh did and suffered the consequences.  Repent now tomorrow may be too late. There is no mercy in hell.
Re: Is The Bible Easy To Understand? by JeSoul(f): 2:46pm On Oct 23, 2008
Chris,

I think you're mixing two different things here. If I were 8yrs old, or english wasn't my first language, there is no doubt that I would have trouble understanding many things in the bible.  
 But at the same time if I were a PhD and extremely decorated in academics, but yet did not have the holyspirit - I would also have trouble understanding the bible.

So obviously for those who are schooled and educated and also filled with the holy spirit, they surely have a huge advantage when it comes to understanding the bible. BUT my dear brotha you must not mistake this to say that christianity is only for the intelligent. Knowledge or more specifically - Revelation of God - does not come from human wisdom. Infact the scriptures are filled with references to this:

1Cor 1: 26 Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before him. It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption.

"For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel—not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power."

Look at numerous characters of repute in the bible -  David was a sheep herder, the disciples, fishermen - many of them were not "intelligent" or literate people yet these people had an incredibly deep knowledge of God - they didn't sit and learn in any classrooms, or under any scholars, how did they know so much? it came from God.

let me give you an example: when I was about 12yrs old, I was listening to a sermon and the preacher was making a point from the bible, but something inside me just knew that what he was teaching was wrong. I couldn't prove or explain why I felt that way but somehow I just felt it (this is where the holy spirit's revelation comes in).
  Years later - much older n much wiser - I stumbled onto the same verse again and suddenly could see that he had been taking the verse out of context and using it to teach something it wasn't teaching.

There are OT events that only make sense after I've done extra study to understand the circumstances and meanings of certain things. And I'll add that gathering knowledge is good, but if you really want wisdom to wrap your mind around God's word - you can only get it from one place - God.

Ephesians 1:17
I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better.

Colossians 1:9
For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you and asking God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through[b] all spiritual wisdom and understanding[/b].

James 1:5
If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.
Re: Is The Bible Easy To Understand? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:49pm On Oct 23, 2008
"Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:

Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts
."

Hebrews 4:6-7

(1) (2) (Reply)

Religion Is A Mistake~ The Source Of World's Problem! / How Can Six Thousand Devils Called Legion Possessed A Man? / Bible Stories V: Abram And The Land Of Promise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 178
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.