Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,527 members, 7,823,294 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:13 AM

IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. - Education (154) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. (591771 Views)

JAMB: Share Your Experience / When Is Your Exam Date,time And Name And Score If You Gotten Yours / UNIZIK Post-UME Candidates: What's Your Score? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (151) (152) (153) (154) (155) (156) (157) ... (159) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by AbSapi(m): 11:24am On Sep 22, 2023
Please what's the difference between the British council test and the IDP test.
Which one is preferable.

Kindly help.
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by kachiz(m): 2:14pm On Sep 22, 2023
Thanks

Tamee:

You will pass. Just relax and wear comfortable clothes and shoes.

Tips:
READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS ON THE TEST CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU START. IF YOU SEE 'ONE WORD ONLY' Do not write 2 or more words.

--- WRITING:

Double check for spelling errors after each part.
Do the part 2 first.
Don't write big words that you are not sure of the spellings or meaning.
--------

--- LISTENING:

Clear your head and your heart of any roaming thoughts. FOCUS.
Listen to the recording as if you are listening to a real life conversation, you can't miss any word.
Don't listen to respond, listen to understand. Listen to catch each word and number mentioned.
Listen to corrections made by the speakers as they speak.
--------

READING:

Make sure your spellings are correct when answering questions.
If possible, copy the answers from the passage if you are not sure of spellings.
Read between the lines, some answers are not in plain sight.
Don't waste time.
-----------

---> FOR SPEAKING TEST

Tell yourself that it is not an INTERVIEW or EXAM.
Pretend that the examiner asking you questions is a friend you just met in your new school or your new location abroad.
Relax and answer questions like you are having a conversation with someone you just met.
NOTE that there are no right or wrong answers when the conversation starts to feel like an argument. Smile and state your opinion without thinking you are right or wrong.
Speak up because you will not be told that your voice is low, but it will affect your score.

Remember it is not a test of who can speak the most bogus grammar, but who can carry on a conversation with minimum error, nuance, and with fluidity. Keep talking until the examiner stops you each time. When you feel like you don't know the answer, ask her/him to explain further. Don't feel bad when you feel you haven't answered a question correctly, it is not an INTERVIEW, remember. Just talk and flow with the examiner (like you would with a new friend)
---------

Don't Fret, it's not a rigid exam, just a test of how comfortable you are with the language.
Go with a clear/transparent bottle of water (remove the label)
Go with your face mask
Eat before going if possible
If your Writing and Speaking tests are on the same day, make sure you eat because you will get tired. (One of the guys there gave me jollof rice while I was waiting for my speaking test because I was almost fainting from hunger)
Go with a pen, pencil, and eraser.

Best of luck.

2 Likes

Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by kachiz(m): 3:08pm On Sep 22, 2023
Nice one
Ajisebioyolaari:
I sat for IELTS GT (CBT) on 22nd April 2023 and I was able to view my result on Tuesday 25th April 2023 as early as 9am.

It is pertinent to note that due to my very busy work schedule and other secondary engagements, I have had little or no time to study. Infact, I should have done my IELTS since early 2022 but I kept postponing it.

I needed to submit an application before the 1st of May 2023 and IELTS GT was one of the requirements. Aside the need for my result to be available as soon as possible, I also opted for the Computer Based variant of the test because I get tired of writing too quickly and the CBT provided an auto word count which will save me the time that may be used in counting my words in the writing tasks.

As earlier mentioned, I didn't start studying until Friday morning. Thankfully, it was Eid-el-Fitr celebration, so I had a day off from work. I commenced a marathon practice characterised with occasional distractions from calls, sleep, eating, etc. I searched the internet for every and any material on IELTS. Cambridge series, BC IELTS, MOD IELTS, IELTS Liz, IELTS Jay, IELTS Essentials, IELTS Online, and so on. I also watched a lot of videos on YouTube on the same subject.

After series of practice, it wasn't hard to identify my weakness.

For listening, I realised I occasionally got distracted and lost track of the conversation being played. I also found that the 'plan and map descriptions' were herculean for me. For reading, I was ALWAYS failing over 60% of the "statement of fact" questions (True, False, Not given). Hence, I focused on these weaknesses and sought to improve in those areas. For speaking, I only needed to watch samples of videos on YouTube and I formulated a lot of sample questions for myself. I have always been confident of my writing and speaking proficiency but I did not want to leave anything to chance. Common questions like "tell me about yourself", "do you work or study?" are introductory and will always lead to the build-up of other questions. Therefore, I ensured I mastered my fluency from the very beginning. As regards to writing, task 2 is the most technical and consequently carries the most score (about 66%). I ensured I got conversant with the wide range of topics and how to build, arrange and properly articulate my thoughts on a topic. ChatGPT helped me to understand these properly. I didn't have to rely on the sample answers that were all over the internet. I just copied the task 2 question into ChatGPT and watch it build up points in favour of or against an opinion.

Finally, on the day of the test, I did speaking first and it was almost great until one question took me off guard. If I remember correctly, it had to do with "my opinion on how sports contribute to the development of a country". I was in between gathering my points and ensuring I don't stutter. However, I fidgeted and became almost incoherent. That definitely affected my final writing score. The listening and reading went pretty well. I was smart enough to quickly skip the ones I wasn't sure of and then come back to answer them comfortably and with deeper concentration after I had answered the easier ones. My writing task was almost similar to my speaking experience. Of course, I started with task 2 because it required more time, expertise, and carries the most score. After I had comfortably built my points and arranged them, it was then I realised that task 1 existed. I had just about 10 minutes left out of a total of 1 hour given for the writing task. I quickly built up the body of the letter according to the instruction but I had no time to check for spelling or typographical errors. Also, I left about two sentences in different paragraphs incomplete because I was still searching for the most appropriate words to use when the computer shut me out according to the time set for the test.

I can conveniently contest my writing and speaking scores, but since 7.5 in speaking and writing are the required minimum for the purpose I am using it for, I have decided to move on.

Finally, I am grateful to God for giving me the privilege to ace this test at first sitting. While I admit it could be very tricky, I must also insist it isn't impossible to attain a band 8 without too much stress. Know your weaknesses and focus on these areas. Thanks for your time in reading.

1 Like

Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by trinityconcept(m): 2:28am On Sep 23, 2023
Thanks to Everyone for the wonderful suggestions and advice on this platform. I took my test 8/9th of this month and my result was released yesterday
Overall 7.0
Speaking 7.0
Reading 8.0
Listening 7.5
Writing 6.0

I basically used IELTS with Jacky and YouTube and prep class on YouTube.

Please my question is : I resgitered this exam with British council myself. How do I get the real copy of this certificate which I’ll now use to apply to my school.

I wrote in Enugu . Where and how can I get my hard copy . Do I need to write email to British council

Thanks
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by OgogoroDegree: 7:36am On Sep 23, 2023
trinityconcept:
Thanks to Everyone for the wonderful suggestions and advice on this platform. I took my test 8/9th of this month and my result was released yesterday
Overall 7.0
Speaking 7.0
Reading 8.0
Listening 7.5
Writing 6.0

I basically used IELTS with Jacky and YouTube and prep class on YouTube.

Please my question is : I resgitered this exam with British council myself. How do I get the real copy of this certificate which I’ll now use to apply to my school.

I wrote in Enugu . Where and how can I get my hard copy . Do I need to write email to British council

Thanks

It will be sent to your address through DHL.

Please how did you study for reading?
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by Piuscharity(f): 12:51pm On Sep 25, 2023
Techmac00:

Congratulations.

Please, can you share insight on how the speaking went? Thanks.

It was ok, I was asked basic questions about cooking, where I am from, etc

1 Like

Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by Piuscharity(f): 12:52pm On Sep 25, 2023
kumbhuru:

The premium service is offered by whom? How Much? Congratulations
British council, they send you a link to access this after payment, it is free.

1 Like

Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by Techmac00: 2:35pm On Sep 25, 2023
Piuscharity:

It was ok, I was asked basic questions about cooking, where I am from, etc

Thanks
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by Editorialtimes: 3:55pm On Sep 25, 2023
Can another person sit for the exams on behalf of his or her relative?
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by Dayhorla: 8:24pm On Sep 25, 2023
Editorialtimes:
Can another person sit for the exams on behalf of his or her relative?

Ahan now, can someone else write any exam for another person?
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by jimmiedave(m): 8:27am On Sep 27, 2023
Pls any one with a link for SAT exam thread?
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by Drealman2020: 11:35am On Sep 28, 2023
Hi everyone.
I have been following this thread for a while now but as a guest.

I took the IELTS test on Saturday and results were as followed;
L- 7.5
R-6.5
W-7.5
S-7.0

Is there a possibility of an increase in my reading by 0.5 if I request for a remark seeing that i’ll need at least 7.0 in all the modules?
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by OgogoroDegree: 12:06pm On Sep 28, 2023
Drealman2020:
Hi everyone.

L- 7.5
R-6.5
W-7.5
S-7.0

Is there a possibility of an increase in my reading by 0.5 if I request for a remark seeing that i’ll need at least 7.0 in all the modules?

Before you waste money
Please let us know if it's general or academic?

Because most schools will surely accept this score for admission (academic)
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by Drealman2020: 1:16pm On Sep 28, 2023
OgogoroDegree:

Before you waste money
Please let us know if it's general or academic?

Because most schools will surely accept this score for admission (academic)
Academic

I’m sitting for PLAB and 7.0 is the minimum requirement for all modules.
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by kumbhuru: 2:30pm On Sep 28, 2023
Drealman2020:
Hi everyone.

L- 7.5
R-6.5
W-7.5
S-7.0

Wow.
What materials did you use for your writing?
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by kumbhuru: 2:31pm On Sep 28, 2023
Drealman2020:

Academic

Oh.
It rarely change.
You might have to sit another.
This time write in Capital letter and prepare or practice very very well
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by Techmac00: 4:06pm On Sep 28, 2023
Hello guys, I'm yet to get my exam number. My exam is on Saturday, and it was stated in the confirmation mail that, I'll get an exam number 2-7 days before my exam, confirming that my registration is successful. At my registration column on my dashboard, the review of my Passport is showing: Pending.

I've sent an email already, but I feel it's already too late. Anyone with such an issue?
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by OgogoroDegree: 7:10pm On Sep 28, 2023
Drealman2020:

Academic

Please re-sit.
Don't waste that money.
Listen n reading are marked electronically.
Unlike writing.
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by Parasbe: 6:30am On Sep 29, 2023
Good morning everyone, plz my wife is preparing for her exam which will hold on 20th of next month, and I have some questions.

Will she get her exam number/center number before this date?
Is it best to write d listening and reading in capital letters or it doesn’t matter?
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by OgogoroDegree: 7:24pm On Sep 29, 2023
Parasbe:
Good morning everyone, plz my wife is preparing for her exam which will hold on 20th of next month, and I have some questions.

Will she get her exam number/center number before this date?
Is it best to write d listening and reading in capital letters or it doesn’t matter?

No need to worry let her go to the centre with phone and international passport, if the is any issue on test day, she can show her confirmation and acknowledgement mail.
(Happened to me)

If you are having issue with words format, please answer with capital letter alone.
IT IS ALLOWED
(Talking from experience)
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by aworhmabel: 8:31pm On Sep 29, 2023
Hi Guys

So i wrote with IDP and my scores are LRWS; 8.5,7,6.5,9

Has anyone requested for a remarking with IDP
for their writing and if yes did your score increase by 0.5.

I'm surprised i got a 6.5 when i wrote perfectly well.

Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by QueenAri: 12:03pm On Sep 30, 2023
I'm in need of a job please.

M.ED EARLY CHILDHOOD
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by Parasbe: 11:50pm On Sep 30, 2023
OgogoroDegree:

No need to worry let her go to the centre with phone and international passport, if the is any issue on test day, she can show her confirmation and acknowledgement mail.
(Happened to me)

If you are having issue with words format, please answer with capital letter alone.
IT IS ALLOWED
(Talking from experience)

Thanks alot
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by Emmyrate4: 6:10am On Oct 01, 2023
Drealman2020:
Hi everyone.

L- 7.5
R-6.5
W-7.5
S-7.0

Hi, pls if I may ask which material did you use?
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by Wonder1844(m): 7:45am On Oct 01, 2023
Good morning all.
Please is ieltsonlinetests.com good for listening practice?
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by aworhmabel: 9:12am On Oct 01, 2023
Yes, it is very good and highly recommended especially if you want to take the Cbt version.

I made a tremendous improvement in my listening test after using that platform (ie. ieltsonlinetests.com)

I also used ieltstrainingonline.com for my reading practice and lastly

ieltsliz.com for my writing.

As for speaking, i watched mock videos online, just to have an idea of the format.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by Necksonnel: 1:30pm On Oct 01, 2023
Wonder1844:
Good morning all.
Please is ieltsonlinetests.com good for listening practice?

I want to know this also because they marked me wrong for things such as writing “height” instead of “heights” or writing “6AM” instead of “6:00 AM”. Little things like that . Is this how it is in the real exam.
I also need other good listening practice website .
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by Necksonnel: 1:31pm On Oct 01, 2023
aworhmabel:
Yes, it is very good and highly recommended especially if you want to take the Cbt version.

I made a tremendous improvement in my listening test after using that platform (ie. ieltsonlinetests.com)

I also used ieltstrainingonline.com for my reading practice and lastly

ieltsliz.com for my writing.

As for speaking, i watched mock videos online, just to have an idea of the format.

I want to know this also because they marked me wrong for things such as writing “height” instead of “heights” or writing “6AM” instead of “6:00 AM”. Little things like that . Is this how it is in the real exam

I’m writing the paper test on sat
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by aworhmabel: 3:54pm On Oct 01, 2023
Heya,

Not sure about the 6am being marked wrongly instead of 6:00 am.

I know for sure that it all means the same, maybe it's just an error on their part. But the height instead of heights might have been marked correctly. You have to be careful while listening to the the tape cos if they mention a plural word and u give dat of a singular (eg book instead of books). The answer u give won't be correct.

Paper based is nice but i recommend computer based test cos it helps especially in writing. You can automatically see your word count and you will be to present your work neatly by making sure all paragraphs are aligned properly.

Cbt also helps in the reading section too. Instead of typing in your answer, you can just copy and paste from the passage to save time.

Just do whats comfortable with you though.

You can also practice with youtube for the listening section (https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYW3qEH4LjXk23ioYIxny0b25KvvMCTjV&feature=shared)

2 Likes

Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by Techmac00: 9:12am On Oct 03, 2023
Is this result good enough for Academic (Australia)?

Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by Nobody: 2:14pm On Oct 06, 2023
Please how do I apply for re marking I did well in listening and reading but was surprised to see a 6.5... also will a 5.5 suffice for study in Canada

I need help for this remarking someone put me through pls

(1) (2) (3) ... (151) (152) (153) (154) (155) (156) (157) ... (159) (Reply)

2013/2014 Obafemi Awolowo University ::ASPIRANTS:: / University Of Abuja 2017/2018 Admission Updates / 2017/2018 PTDF Scholarship Scheme (Overseas And Local)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.