Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,965 members, 7,810,676 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:08 PM

IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. - Education (159) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. (589095 Views)

JAMB: Share Your Experience / When Is Your Exam Date,time And Name And Score If You Gotten Yours / UNIZIK Post-UME Candidates: What's Your Score? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (156) (157) (158) (159) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by Preciosa: 1:03am On Mar 17
Thank you for sharing your knowledge here.

Well, I already booked my test, paper-based. Will ielts automatically pick a date for my speaking test?
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by Lastbornbuns: 6:43pm On Apr 02
Test Experience

I took my ielts general test in March, computer based at British Council PortHarcourt. The staff were very friendly and nice. The environment is peaceful and quiet and they had water dispenser with disposable cups.

My speaking test went well enough. Although the video call was lagging because of network. I was so tensed and rambled a lot (imo) but I got a 7.5 in speaking. My examiner was very nice and patient. Some people got rude examiners. One particular lady was a bit mean and had zero patience. My heart was beating so fast. I didn't expect it to reach my turn so quickly but once I started speaking, I got settled.

My listening was okay. I made sure to focus on the audio. We had individual headsets and I reduced the volume on mine a bit to prevent headaches. The screen light was very bright. The audio clip wasn't too fast paced. Though the clip (where one speaker gives a lesson) tried to confuse me. There was one particular question that I changed the answer 3 times. Luckily, I changed it back to the right answer (my original answer) just when my time finished. I got a 9.0 in listening.

Reading was okay. My score here actually shocked me. I expected more. I finished all the questions in less than 30 minutes. I kept reviewing and reviewing and slept a bit (just closed my eyes and tried to refresh my mind) for around 20 minutes then I reviewed again. I got "paragraph matching" questions and flowchart. I got an 8.0 in reading.

Writing.. hmm. I expected a lot more from writing. Time was a serious problem because I spent more than the advised 20mins on the first one and started panicking. I thought I wouldn't have much time for the second essay. The second essay was difficult to begin. I kept thinking, "how am I supposed to write this? What type of prompt is this one now?" I looked at my time and just typed a few sentences (looking at a blank screen is so demoralising lipsrsealed ). I actually finished the entire essay before i could think of a suitable way to paraphrase the topic (the intent/purpose of writing). I got an 8.0 in writing. Please always check for grammatical errors. I never made an error when practicing but come and see mistakes on that day. Like say na set up.

Overall, I got a band 8 C1 level. I didn't actively prepare per se. I was studying for Gre last year so did a lot of reading and writing. Also learnt words. All on Gregmat. When I booked my test, BC gave me access to GEL ielts (Guided E-learning) and acces to their "Ready Platform" didn't use it much because I had to go to nysc camp a month before my test date. A week to my test, I booked writing review sessions with prepmewell. My tutor said they expected a 9.0.
I also went through ieltsadvantage and ieltsliz that same week. Watched some videos, answered some questions.

One thing to note is this: don't restrict yourself when it comes to the writing section. There's no where BC or IDP says your essay must be in 3 paragraphs or if you're asked "not less than 150", don't write more than 170 or something like that. My 1st task was more than 4 paragraphs. I was already pressed for time and counting words (the computer does it if computer-based) or paragraphs wasn't something I wanted to do. I ended up writing almost or even a bit more than 200 for the 150. So don't let it be another issue for you. Also, the exam fatigue is very real. I was itching to run home by the time the writing started and the way the test is structured, even if you finish before time, you can't move on till the time ends. Perhaps it's because my speaking test was done same day so I had to be at the test center for the entire day but I was restless towards the end.

Finally, I would always advise computer based where its feasible. The computer based is not same question type for all. I had noticed that people mostly get lower scores in listening in paper-based because some centers blast the audio through a central speaker. And I couldn't wait 13 days to receive my result. Anxiety would've finished me.

Also, paper based can be distracting. You might be looking around and get lost somewhere but computer based, it's just you and your computer and the desks are partitioned. I also got the feeling like the computer camera might be on so.. gotta be on best behaviour and maintain eye contact (there's how you'll look down and it'll be like you're looking at "expo" grin ). The sound of typing wasn't a distraction to me. My test center is just too beautiful for words. So clean and quiet. Once you enter, you just start whispering grin it's very very calm.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by SemperFid: 6:19am On Apr 05
Is there anybody waiting for results today?

What time does it come out?
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by Bibitayo2: 12:17pm On Apr 23
Good morning.

Please, my exam is on Saturday but I live in Oyo state and the local government election is on that day.

Should I send an email to inform them about the restricted movement on that day or do you think they will send me an email about it?
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by Sultty(m): 6:53pm On Apr 23
Bibitayo2:
Good morning.

Please, my exam is on Saturday but I live in Oyo state and the local government election is on that day.

Should I send an email to inform them about the restricted movement on that day or do you think they will send me an email about it?
if the exam centre is at oyo state, u can if it will be shifted but if not, simply reschedule
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by Bibitayo2: 10:24pm On Apr 23
Thank you.

They sent me an email this afternoon.
Sultty:
if the exam centre is at oyo state, u can if it will be shifted but if not, simply reschedule

1 Like

Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by Jandminded: 12:06am On Apr 24
Lastbornbuns:
Test Experience

I took my ielts general test in March, computer based at British Council PortHarcourt. The staff were very friendly and nice. The environment is peaceful and quiet and they had water dispenser with disposable cups.

My speaking test went well enough. Although the video call was lagging because of network. I was so tensed and rambled a lot (imo) but I got a 7.5 in speaking. My examiner was very nice and patient. Some people got rude examiners. One particular lady was a bit mean and had zero patience. My heart was beating so fast. I didn't expect it to reach my turn so quickly but once I started speaking, I got settled.

My listening was okay. I made sure to focus on the audio. We had individual headsets and I reduced the volume on mine a bit to prevent headaches. The screen light was very bright. The audio clip wasn't too fast paced. Though the clip (where one speaker gives a lesson) tried to confuse me. There was one particular question that I changed the answer 3 times. Luckily, I changed it back to the right answer (my original answer) just when my time finished. I got a 9.0 in listening.

Reading was okay. My score here actually shocked me. I expected more. I finished all the questions in less than 30 minutes. I kept reviewing and reviewing and slept a bit (just closed my eyes and tried to refresh my mind) for around 20 minutes then I reviewed again. I got "paragraph matching" questions and flowchart. I got an 8.0 in reading.

Writing.. hmm. I expected a lot more from writing. Time was a serious problem because I spent more than the advised 20mins on the first one and started panicking. I thought I wouldn't have much time for the second essay. The second essay was difficult to begin. I kept thinking, "how am I supposed to write this? What type of prompt is this one now?" I looked at my time and just typed a few sentences (looking at a blank screen is so demoralising lipsrsealed ). I actually finished the entire essay before i could think of a suitable way to paraphrase the topic (the intent/purpose of writing). I got an 8.0 in writing. Please always check for grammatical errors. I never made an error when practicing but come and see mistakes on that day. Like say na set up.

Overall, I got a band 8 C1 level. I didn't actively prepare per se. I was studying for Gre last year so did a lot of reading and writing. Also learnt words. All on Gregmat. When I booked my test, BC gave me access to GEL ielts (Guided E-learning) and acces to their "Ready Platform" didn't use it much because I had to go to nysc camp a month before my test date. A week to my test, I booked writing review sessions with prepmewell. My tutor said they expected a 9.0.
I also went through ieltsadvantage and ieltsliz that same week. Watched some videos, answered some questions.

One thing to note is this: don't restrict yourself when it comes to the writing section. There's no where BC or IDP says your essay must be in 3 paragraphs or if you're asked "not less than 150", don't write more than 170 or something like that. My 1st task was more than 4 paragraphs. I was already pressed for time and counting words (the computer does it if computer-based) or paragraphs wasn't something I wanted to do. I ended up writing almost or even a bit more than 200 for the 150. So don't let it be another issue for you. Also, the exam fatigue is very real. I was itching to run home by the time the writing started and the way the test is structured, even if you finish before time, you can't move on till the time ends. Perhaps it's because my speaking test was done same day so I had to be at the test center for the entire day but I was restless towards the end.

Finally, I would always advise computer based where its feasible. The computer based is not same question type for all. I had noticed that people mostly get lower scores in listening in paper-based because some centers blast the audio through a central speaker. And I couldn't wait 13 days to receive my result. Anxiety would've finished me.

Also, paper based can be distracting. You might be looking around and get lost somewhere but computer based, it's just you and your computer and the desks are partitioned. I also got the feeling like the computer camera might be on so.. gotta be on best behaviour and maintain eye contact (there's how you'll look down and it'll be like you're looking at "expo" grin ). The sound of typing wasn't a distraction to me. My test center is just too beautiful for words. So clean and quiet. Once you enter, you just start whispering grin it's very very calm.

Nice one.

Please what are the requirements to register for IELTS?
I heard of international passport, do you know if NIN can be used?
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by Sultty(m): 9:57am On Apr 24
Click this link: https://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=Fmvcvn&m=hbCJxgkv_QpMWiI&b=QQscl7WUlBoj1b7GnOSr8A to register and to join Chris Pell's IELTS advantage live essay writing
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by adewumiopeyemi(m): 11:02am On Apr 24
Hi bro I will like to ask like how many weeks or months was the result release I am also facing the same issue curently and this have make me Fall into depression because of this issue
Wonder1844:
Good day all.
My IELTS result due to be released on 10th Nov, 2023 was withheld. Up till now I haven't heard from them.
I called them again today ask if I can register for another test, the person that attended to me said I can get penalized for doing that. Staying that I have to do is wait till they conclude their investigations..

I already got admission I want to use the result for. So please I want to ask if should sit for IELTS IDP since the one withheld is from British council.
Thanks
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by Lastbornbuns: 3:39pm On Apr 24
Jandminded:

Nice one.

Please what are the requirements to register for IELTS?
I heard of international passport, do you know if NIN can be used?
It can but try to use international passport because sometimes, nin might cause small wahala at the test center. The guy that came with his nin at my test center had to reschedule. His own wasn't accepted although he said it was accepted when he registered.

I think I've heard something like there's an nin card that comes with a chip or so.. that might fly but I'm not really sure. Just use your passport if you have it.

1 Like

Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by Meticu99: 11:55pm On Apr 24
For those looking to take the IELTS, I suggest you google Mafit Study Center. Their fees are cheaper than both the British Council and IDP. Don't know how hey do it and they give 1 month physical classes for free as well. It's worth checking out
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by Snowmax: 7:04am On Apr 25
Pls am sorry for posting this here...can any guru here help solve this

Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by Sultty(m): 10:06am On Apr 25
free live online ielts writing task 2 essay by Chris pell: https://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=Fmvcvn&m=i0S7t7xY_QpMWiI&b=RaBax2.9Yyo5E54XFRFAPA to watch it starts in 53 minutes

(1) (2) (3) ... (156) (157) (158) (159) (Reply)

2013/2014 Obafemi Awolowo University ::ASPIRANTS:: / University Of Abuja 2017/2018 Admission Updates / 2017/2018 PTDF Scholarship Scheme (Overseas And Local)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.