Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,244 members, 7,811,684 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:08 PM

IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. - Education (158) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. (589415 Views)

JAMB: Share Your Experience / When Is Your Exam Date,time And Name And Score If You Gotten Yours / UNIZIK Post-UME Candidates: What's Your Score? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (155) (156) (157) (158) (159) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by onuwaje(m): 3:18am On Dec 30, 2023
ShalomYellow:
please what did you use for preparation? My English is too bad
For speaking - BARC TV on YouTube
Writing - ieltsliz.com
Listening - Various Resources on Youtube
Reading - Various resources on Google

1 Like

Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by kumbhuru: 7:13am On Dec 30, 2023
Edaj:
I got a band 5.5 in my reading I want a remark or should I just write another one
Don't bother remarking.
Practice well and retake. Check resources online and practice with cambridge materials. Capitalize all your answers
Remarking only works for writing and speaking as they're subjective
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by kumbhuru: 7:31am On Dec 30, 2023
My result is out and I had band 7.5 overall. I could have done better but I had some distractions towards my exam but that's enough for what I needed it for.

I started my preparation from this group, in August by reading everything from page 1 to the end so as to know the materials to use. I read the testimony of others in other gr3by searching nairaland too.

For writing, finish everything on www.ieltsliz.com first. Get the premium book of ielts buddy too, it's everywhere online free. Practice with those and then get the past questions from Cambridge and practice. If you don't have anyone to vet your essays, use chatgpt to mark, score and correct your work. You can Google how to use chatgpt for IELTS Writing.

For speaking and listening, you just need to get the Cambridge materials and practice, Google or YouTube the speaking/LISTENING audio books and solve. Record yourself while speaking and correct yourself if you don't have a friend ti practice with. Get used to various accent by watching some podcasts. I didn't do this though, no time. Those hsed to watching foreign films won't have issues with understanding listening. Listening also requires attention and presence of mind, if you have issues with concentration, work on it. Constant practice will help.
Speaking and listening should be bonus, no one should fail those, they're for boosting of overall bands.

Reading seems a hard nut to Crack as time is never enough. You should also practice with cambridge. There are books on strategies for various questions types online, get one and stick to them. Practice by question type and master or create strategies for yourself. You don't need to time yourself while learning strategies. Only start timing when you are conversant with all questions types and strategies involved.

You can visit these YouTube channels and sleep on them, FastTrack IELTS, ielts jack, E2 preparation, ielts liz.

In short, there's no shortcut, you have to put in the work. It's better you use that 50k you will give some people for tutorials to buy data instead and sleep on YouTube. Most of these tutorials are hungry people who themselves have never written IELTS before.
Except of course you know a trusted one.

IELTS is all about strategy and formula, hack their system by learning those and you would be shocked by how well you pass.

Finally, if your English is bad, in terms of spelling, grammar and basic English language skills, I believe you should start from there. Someone with bad spelling will fail listening and writing. Someone with poor lexis/structure and basic English skills would struggle. It's not a bad idea to firstly brush through some Primary/Secondary school materials before attempting the IELTS if you fall into this group. Wishing you success.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by oluyinkavic(m): 6:35am On Jan 03
vimma:
Hi everyone,

I had my first attempt at IELTS on the 23rd of September with British council. My result came out today:

L- 9
R- 8
W- 7
S- 8

I need a 7.5 in writing to max out for express entry. Do you advice I remark writing?

2. What are the chances that it'll come back with a higher score?

3. Can it also come back with a lower score?

Please assist

Hello,

I want to confirm do you write IELTS academics or IELTS general?

Thanks for your anticipated response.
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by JhyMedex: 9:02am On Jan 03
L: 9
R: 9
W: 7.5
S: 7.5
Overall: 8.5

Study materials:
Cambridge ielts study material
Ieltsadvantage
Ieltsliz
AcademicEnglishhelp

Last 3 are YouTube videos

Advice is try and remain very calm. It helps you do better overall.
Also give yourself at least 3 weeks to study, if it's your first time taking ielts. This will boost your confidence in exam day and will likely translate into better scores.

Best of luck

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by ShalomYellow: 11:24pm On Jan 03
JhyMedex:
L: 9
R: 9
W: 7.5
S: 7.5
Overall: 8.5

Study materials:
Cambridge ielts study material
Ieltsadvantage
Ieltsliz
AcademicEnglishhelp

Last 3 are YouTube videos

Advice is try and remain very calm. It helps you do better overall.
Also give yourself at least 3 weeks to study, if it's your first time taking ielts. This will boost your confidence in exam day and will likely translate into better scores.

Best of luck

congratulations

Please how did you get it?
I have watched and read all contents from your list but I cannot get over band 4 in listening and reading cry
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by Seunthewriter: 9:18am On Jan 04
Let me drop my 2 cents. First, I think I should let you know that I'm an IELTS tutor with over 3 years of experience.

If you want to sail through the IELTS, you have to understand that you must prepare adequately.

Also, don't assume that because Mr Victor prepared for just one week and achieved an overall band score of 8.5, you will definitely do the same. You should note that there are several factors that could have made him achieve that score within a short period of time. Some of these factors are:

1. His knowledge of grammar. He could have a very good command of the English grammar.

2. His knowledge of synonyms and paraphrases. He could be able to say one thing in 3 different ways.

3. His meticulousness. He could be one that pays great attention to detail.

4. His level of assimilation. He could be someone that understands information very quickly.

5. His understanding of the question types. There are 13 different question types in the Reading Test. It could be that he mastered all the question types in all the sections of the IELTS.

There are several other factors that could affect your success in the exam.

In all, just relax, pray and prepare well.

2 Likes

Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by JhyMedex: 9:08pm On Jan 04
ShalomYellow:
congratulations

Please how did you get it?
I have watched and read all contents from your list but I cannot get over band 4 in listening and reading cry

Did you practice before the exams day?..
Your powers of comprehension and Calm are very important in these 2 areas..
Calm mostly..
But practice a lot before the exams day.
Cambridge has audio materials you can use..

Read the question and Listen intently the answer will pop.
Usually the answers follow the same order as the question. So once you answer number 1. quickly read question 2 and the answer will follow immediately..

Hope this helps...

2 Likes

Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by ShalomYellow: 4:25pm On Jan 07
JhyMedex:

Did you practice before the exams day?..
Your powers of comprehension and Calm are very important in these 2 areas..
Calm mostly..
But practice a lot before the exams day.
Cambridge has audio materials you can use..

Read the question and Listen intently the answer will pop.
Usually the answers follow the same order as the question. So once you answer number 1. quickly read question 2 and the answer will follow immediately..

Hope this helps...
I have not done the test yet, I am still practicing. But scores are too poor.

I have followed many tips but I am still failing
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by Flourhine: 2:15pm On Jan 08
Good afternoon everyone..pls i just want to know or ask about the exact price of IELTS exam presently.in addition to that any feasible date for exam in late January or early February.and like how many days wil it takes for the result to comes out or been released
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by CornOak(m): 6:45pm On Jan 08
Flourhine:
Good afternoon everyone..pls i just want to know or ask about the exact price of IELTS exam presently.in addition to that any feasible date for exam in late January or early February.and like how many days wil it takes for the result to comes out or been released

1. The current price for both IDP and BC is #107,500. However, starting from February 1st, BC will increase their price to #139,500 (Computer-based) and #134,500 (Paper-based) respectively.

2. The available dates would be dependent on the test type (GT or Academic), your location, and the test mode (CBT or PBT). If you are writing BC, January 27th, February 3rd and 17th might be available. Please visit BC or IDP site to check the available dates.

3. For the Computer-based test, you will get your result within 6 days of writing the exam while it takes 13 days to get your result for the Paper-based exam.

Good luck.

3 Likes

Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by shizzy7(f): 8:46pm On Jan 08
onuwaje:

They gave us headphones individually and just you listening and paying attention to details because u will fill in the blanks
For listening, are you allowed to rewind or write things down on paper?
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by onuwaje(m): 9:22pm On Jan 08
shizzy7:
For listening, are you allowed to rewind or write things down on paper?

The recording is played once so if you miss any part for any reason

O ti lor

1 Like

Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by Edaj: 9:21am On Jan 10
Pls how can I order for a remark being trying it but can't seem to do it
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by ddooskie(m): 9:47pm On Jan 10
Good evening, everyone. My wife took her UKVI IELTS on December 16th, and her results were updated on December 29th. However, as of today, January 10th, we have not received the hard copy of the results. According to our calculations, we should have received it after 7 working days from seeing the results online. Should we be worried?
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by IVYKORAH(f): 11:19am On Jan 11
IELTS General. date Jan 8, 2024.
result : L- 9, R- 8.5, W-8, S-8 with overall band 8.5.
Only used E2 Language's IELTS Jay.
I used this same tutor for my PTE in 2019 and had 86/90 overall band.
I totally recommend using him and also a lot of practice. I started preparing in December 2023

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by shawylux(f): 12:15pm On Jan 11
ddooskie:
Good evening, everyone. My wife took her UKVI IELTS on December 16th, and her results were updated on December 29th. However, as of today, January 10th, we have not received the hard copy of the results. According to our calculations, we should have received it after 7 working days from seeing the results online. Should we be worried?

Call them or mail them. Just got mine after a month it was released after a lot of back and forth.
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by ddooskie(m): 1:33pm On Jan 11
shawylux:

Call them or mail them. Just got mine after a month it was released after a lot of back and forth.

I just sent them an email. Thanks 🙏
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by samwash(m): 4:20pm On Jan 17
Good day house, pls I want someone to explain to me on which of the test is better, the computer base or the paper type.
Which one is easier, considering the exam duration.
Thanks in anticipation as I await response.
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by evenda: 8:34am On Jan 20
Hi,
Which of the books did you get that was useful to you? And are you looking to sell them as I can buy off you ?

kumbhuru:
My result is out and I had band 7.5 overall. I could have done better but I had some distractions towards my exam but that's enough for what I needed it for.

I started my preparation from this group, in August by reading everything from page 1 to the end so as to know the materials to use. I read the testimony of others in other gr3by searching nairaland too.

For writing, finish everything on www.ieltsliz.com first. Get the premium book of ielts buddy too, it's everywhere online free. Practice with those and then get the past questions from Cambridge and practice. If you don't have anyone to vet your essays, use chatgpt to mark, score and correct your work. You can Google how to use chatgpt for IELTS Writing.

For speaking and listening, you just need to get the Cambridge materials and practice, Google or YouTube the speaking/LISTENING audio books and solve. Record yourself while speaking and correct yourself if you don't have a friend ti practice with. Get used to various accent by watching some podcasts. I didn't do this though, no time. Those hsed to watching foreign films won't have issues with understanding listening. Listening also requires attention and presence of mind, if you have issues with concentration, work on it. Constant practice will help.
Speaking and listening should be bonus, no one should fail those, they're for boosting of overall bands.

Reading seems a hard nut to Crack as time is never enough. You should also practice with cambridge. There are books on strategies for various questions types online, get one and stick to them. Practice by question type and master or create strategies for yourself. You don't need to time yourself while learning strategies. Only start timing when you are conversant with all questions types and strategies involved.

You can visit these YouTube channels and sleep on them, FastTrack IELTS, ielts jack, E2 preparation, ielts liz.

In short, there's no shortcut, you have to put in the work. It's better you use that 50k you will give some people for tutorials to buy data instead and sleep on YouTube. Most of these tutorials are hungry people who themselves have never written IELTS before.
Except of course you know a trusted one.

IELTS is all about strategy and formula, hack their system by learning those and you would be shocked by how well you pass.

Finally, if your English is bad, in terms of spelling, grammar and basic English language skills, I believe you should start from there. Someone with bad spelling will fail listening and writing. Someone with poor lexis/structure and basic English skills would struggle. It's not a bad idea to firstly brush through some Primary/Secondary school materials before attempting the IELTS if you fall into this group. Wishing you success.
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by Mrvictorwrite(m): 11:19am On Jan 26
Lol
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by finoki: 12:14pm On Jan 29
Please who has written in any of these centres..
a, Gbagada..
b. Jkk plaza, ikorodu Road.. ( around Anthony)
C. Kudirat abiola way.

I want to get the experience of test takers as regards, organization ,parking space, ease of entry and exit. Their computers ( are they functional, no errors).
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by finoki: 12:15pm On Jan 29
1.with consistent practice ,how many weeks will be enough for getting a good score... say band 8.5

2. Can I use my NIN slip as identification..
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by oyetunjibaba: 9:39am On Feb 07
Firebomber:

Good day,

Please can you help with the study material that you use for preparation boss.

Olabenjamen22@gmail.com.

Thanks.

Good morning bro, how are you doing? Please have you gotten the material. Please can you help forward to this email, please... oyetunjibabatunde70@gmail.com
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by Churchilleze2: 12:39pm On Feb 10
Please can someone write the exam for my wife am not in Nigeria
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by kumbhuru: 7:02am On Feb 11
finoki:

1.with consistent practice ,how many weeks will be enough for getting a good score... say band 8.5

2. Can I use my NIN slip as identification..
Use passport. Else you would be denied entry into exam hall even after collecting exam money from you. They are thieves
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by Lovebuddy: 3:52am On Feb 26
Ennychoc019:
Instead of paying 5k to be added to a telegram group, Cambridge 10-17 and Makkar on Speaking for 5k. Send me a mail and I will add you for free and even share my drive on a paid videos on writing task 1 and 2 for free. We are here to help one another and not ripped each other apart.

Hello
Please share with me too
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by Bibitayo2: 8:11am On Feb 28
Please, can anyone tell me the difference between the computer-based test and the pen-and-paper test? I am not very fast at typing and I am trying to know the disadvantages of the pen-on-paper test.

Thank you.
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by Bibitayo2: 11:18pm On Feb 28
BC IELTS is now #266,000
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by kumbhuru: 7:36am On Mar 01
Bibitayo2:
BC IELTS is now #266,000
By the time no one books it, they will calm down
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by Ericmaestrooffi: 12:41am On Mar 03
Good day everyone, if you’re in need of an experienced Ielts tutor at an affordable rate kindly reach out to me on 0701 031 2672.
Re: IELTS: Share Your Experience, Ask Your Questions, Tell Us Your Score If You Can. by PrincessAriel(f): 9:34pm On Mar 13
IVYKORAH:
IELTS General. date Jan 8, 2024.
result : L- 9, R- 8.5, W-8, S-8 with overall band 8.5.
Only used E2 Language's IELTS Jay.
I used this same tutor for my PTE in 2019 and had 86/90 overall band.
I totally recommend using him and also a lot of practice. I started preparing in December 2023

Hi Ivy.

Please can you share the E2 Language materials with me.

I also want to write IELTS General.

Thank you.

(1) (2) (3) ... (155) (156) (157) (158) (159) (Reply)

2013/2014 Obafemi Awolowo University ::ASPIRANTS:: / University Of Abuja 2017/2018 Admission Updates / 2017/2018 PTDF Scholarship Scheme (Overseas And Local)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.