Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,805 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:42 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 - Travel (438) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (868064 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (435) (436) (437) (438) (439) (440) (441) ... (502) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by bigfrancis21: 2:29am On Apr 12, 2015
slimmy05:
Yes exactly, the rules changed. So he should go with it that way, I don't think it really matter that much now, most times what's on the admission letter is different from what you have on your I-20.

Ok. In his case, his I-20 bears 'electrical and computer engineering' while his DS160 bears only 'electrical engineering'. That's the issue now. I wouldn't want him to be denied on mere excuse of 'discrepancy', not especially when certain visa officers look for little reasons to deny people their visas.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 2:36am On Apr 12, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Ok. In his case, his I-20 bears 'electrical and computer engineering' while his DS160 bears only 'electrical engineering'. That's the issue now. I wouldn't want him to be denied on mere excuse of 'discrepancy', not especially when certain visa officers look for little reasons to deny people their visas.
he should call the embassy up and that is not an issue. I don't think that would be an issue for him. I understand what you mean anyway, but am sure he won't have issues. Electrical Engineering is there in the I-20.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 2:44am On Apr 12, 2015
I now see why sir imperiouxx hates Ghanaian so much, they are very cunning, never straight forward at all.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by bigfrancis21: 2:50am On Apr 12, 2015
slimmy05:
he should call the embassy up and that is not an issue. I don't think that would be an issue for him. I understand what you mean anyway, but am sure he won't have issues. Electrical Engineering is there in the I-20.

Ok.

What's up with your bbm? Tried pinging you severally.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by bigfrancis21: 2:50am On Apr 12, 2015
slimmy05:
I now see why sir imperiouxx hates Ghanaian so much, they are very cunning, never straight forward at all.

Lol. What's your experience?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by juniorsmith: 3:29am On Apr 12, 2015
Seriously searching for someone to stay with during the summer, aam gon pay him, not just free, I can also contribute for food and other bills, message me if your interested.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 3:35am On Apr 12, 2015
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 3:37am On Apr 12, 2015
juniorsmith:
Seriously searching for someone to stay with during the summer, aam gon pay him, not just free, I can also contribute for food and other bills, message me if your interested.
why not search for students in your school that can assist you. Are you in U.S.?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by juniorsmith: 3:55am On Apr 12, 2015
Yeah, most of them I know refused because am Nigerian and yes, am in US(Florida)
slimmy05:
why not search for students in your school that can assist you. Are you in U.S.?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by imperiouxx(m): 4:54am On Apr 12, 2015
slimmy05:

Don't let me remember those extremely dark pests.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 6:03am On Apr 12, 2015
juniorsmith:
Yeah, most of them I know refused because am Nigerian and yes, am in US(Florida)
which school are you in Florida, let me make research for you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by juniorsmith: 6:47am On Apr 12, 2015
Pensacola college, 250 Brentlane, PN, FL.; will really appreciate
slimmy05:
which school are you in Florida, let me make research for you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by taiwo09: 7:52am On Apr 12, 2015
Dynamics440:
I can help you out if you don't mind. @ Taiwo09. Just trying to help out no extra charge. Thanks!
thanks a lot bro! i will appreciate that. i will send u mail now
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by taiwo09: 7:54am On Apr 12, 2015
Dynamics440:
I can help you out if you don't mind @Taiwo

thanks a lot bro! i will appreciate that. i will send u mail now
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by pumpin26: 4:04pm On Apr 12, 2015
biikeys:

Do you have an MS degree already?

Eitherways, a 3.0 may be okay for someone in the MS program. For a PhD, you want to maintain a 4.0 or at least a 3.5. In fact, some schools require a minimum of 3.5 CGPA for their PhD students.

Be careful though in choosing schools..your research area/interests coupled with having the right Professor should be priority.
Do you really want to invest your time in what you're committing yourself to?
If it is a fast-track MS/PhD prog, it will probably take you up to five years or more. You don't want to waste five years of your life doing what doesn't really interest you (your research area).
I feel you should have a focus on what you would like to do(under Health Informatics) and who you would like to work with based on research interests, and then base your decision on that!

Thank you for the advice. I already have MSc in Health Informatics. Unfortunately, I am yet to find student or alumni from university of Iowa that can share their experiences of the school or the department with me. An insight into the department could be useful with regards to choosing professors and supervisor or the research area one should concentrate one. Health informatics is relatively new and multidisciplinary program, many of the faculties are still flexible and trying to establish their own research areas in this field as well.
Nevertheless I have two areas of research am considering. I believe with hardwork and dedication the 4.0/3.5 is achievable.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by pumpin26: 4:14pm On Apr 12, 2015
imperiouxx:

Well said slimmy but PhD and green card are different gameplay altogether.

@pumpin26,

The route (PhD) you're taking gives "NO" opportunity for hustling while you're into it. You basically depend on fellowship or you'll crash out of the program. Moreover, Iowa is not a state suitable for hustling. So get your fact right before deciding on what to do. Best of luck!

@imperiouxx
Thank you for the advice. What's your view of the gameplay and which are the hustling states?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by zeezahbee(f): 5:40pm On Apr 12, 2015
slimmy05:
shocked which exam is that. She can come and take mine grin
meant toefl lmao cheesy , y evils
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by zeezahbee(f): 5:43pm On Apr 12, 2015
juniorsmith:
Try find people in other states .
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by pumpin26: 6:38pm On Apr 12, 2015
slimmy05:
Health Informatics is really competitive. Its a nice program and congrats on your admission.

Well, good you got funding for your first year sorted out, well your academic performance will always determine if your funding will be renewed. In my school, you will need to maintain a 3.0 which I feel is fair enough, an average student should be able to get 3.0 atleast in my field, but I can't say for others. You are going for a PhD program so you should rule out anything like Job hunting for the next 4 years, you should focus on your PhD program as that is the surest route for green card. I am sure your monthly stipend should be enough to pay your bills. Schooling in US is really very demanding. I am also looking at PhD programs as well for Fall, 2016, I want to take my time and apply to like 15 schools grin I know its hard, but I've already started scouting for schools and emailing profs.

About your visa, you have a high chance of getting the visa I don't think you need anything else. You also need to get a sponsor to show you can fund the program you also need to prove to the VO why you actually chose the program. Iowa is not expensive, but its white dominated areas, all you need do is identify yourself with a church, I would prefer a white church and make yourself useful to them and I assure you there won't be any problem when you're short of food or cash.

Try and wait for University of Texas admission decision and see if they would offer funding. You need to pay SEVIS fee which is $200, pay visa fee in GTbank, fill your DS160 and book for your appointment.

I hope I helped, Guru's here would help me, I'm still learning
@slimmy05
Thank you for the eloquent advice. There had been pressure and constant communication from Iowa regarding my decision, even yesterday (Saturday). I had no choice, but to be submissive and accept the offer. I will see what comes out of Texas, but I doubt if their fellowship package will be as good as that of Iowa. I just have to put strategies to cope with the tedious years ahead as well as the white dominant environment as mentioned. I will progress with visa processing as suggested. Thanks again!!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 8:38pm On Apr 12, 2015
pumpin26:

@slimmy05
Thank you for the eloquent advice. There had been pressure and constant communication from Iowa regarding my decision, even yesterday (Saturday). I had no choice, but to be submissive and accept the offer. I will see what comes out of Texas, but I doubt if their fellowship package will be as good as that of Iowa. I just have to put strategies to cope with the tedious years ahead as well as the white dominant environment as mentioned. I will progress with visa processing as suggested. Thanks again!!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/University-of-Iowa-African-Student-Association/120466151315662

Add the African Organization on facebook and contact them for any information you would need.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by MsNas(f): 8:57pm On Apr 12, 2015
OjaP,

Happy Birthday. Live long and prosper. Make sure you finish all the Guinness they sell in California today. grin I trust you sha. Turn it up and do shakara. It's your birthday kiss kiss

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Lucky4real28(m): 9:38pm On Apr 12, 2015
Hello house, I ve been following this tread for a long time, nice job everyone, I am applying for a school in the US for bachelor's degree, am 22, and my waec is 2008, my sponsor is my aunt husband, he own a company and I ll be using his companies account....i am a little concerned about what to say if am asked what I ve been doing since 2008....truth is I dropped out of uniben in my 300 level when my dad passed, things got difficult..do u think the US embassy will buy this or should I tell them something different...your opinion is gladly needed...please don't discourage me.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by aadeyi: 10:06pm On Apr 12, 2015
Lucky4real28:
Hello house, I ve been following this tread for a long time, nice job everyone, I am applying for a school in the US for bachelor's degree, am 22, and my waec is 2008, my sponsor is my aunt husband, he own a company and I ll be using his companies account....i am a little concerned about what to say if am asked what I ve been doing since 2008....truth is I dropped out of uniben in my 300 level when my dad passed, things got difficult..do u think the US embassy will buy this or should I tell them something different...your opinion is gladly needed...please don't discourage me.

Your age has nothing to do with this and your 2008 result is not bad. But telling a VO u dropped out of school due to financial constraint might be somehow. I suggest it better you let the VO knows that you have been living with your Aunt right from time and her husband has been sponsoring you.

You will have to convince the VO that you have been doing something reasonable since 2008 to better your chances like taking computer classes and maybe working in your area of study you going to take in the US.

Gurus here will still help out with more advise.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by biikeys(m): 10:21pm On Apr 12, 2015
pumpin26:

Thank you for the advice. I already have MSc in Health Informatics. Unfortunately, I am yet to find student or alumni from university of Iowa that can share their experiences of the school or the department with me. An insight into the department could be useful with regards to choosing professors and supervisor or the research area one should concentrate one. Health informatics is relatively new and multidisciplinary program, many of the faculties are still flexible and trying to establish their own research areas in this field as well.
Nevertheless I have two areas of research am considering. I believe with hardwork and dedication the 4.0/3.5 is achievable.

One way to go about getting to know more about the school/research area is checking out the profiles of faculties doing something along that line: for example this http://informatics.grad.uiowa.edu/faculty/pat-d-brophy-md shows some details on what that particular Professor is working on, under research interests(probably done that already) .
While they may still be flexible with research areas, they would have written few more papers about some area. You can even said an email letting them know you would like to work with them if you feel your interests align. A 4.0 is very much achievable with hard work. Good luck!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Lucky4real28(m): 10:25pm On Apr 12, 2015
aadeyi:

Your age has nothing to do with this and your 2008 result is not bad. But telling a VO u dropped out of school due to financial constraint might be somehow. I suggest it better you let the VO knows that you have been living with your Aunt right from time and her husband has been sponsoring you.

You will have to convince the VO that you have been doing something reasonable since 2008 to better your chances like taking computer classes and maybe working in your area of study you going to take in the US.

Gurus here will still help out with more advise.
Thank you very much, really appreciate
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Walspring: 11:28pm On Apr 12, 2015
kunlebal:
@Walspring

Hommie how your side, didn't even hear from you again.

Big boss, My side is tight and sorry i didnt get back to you because something surface.

I will send you email later
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by imperiouxx(m): 12:24am On Apr 13, 2015
pumpin26:

@imperiouxx
Thank you for the advice. What's your view of the gameplay and which are the hustling states?

Game play as in game plan...... From PhD to getting green card is something that's close to hard. However, getting a teaching job in community college or university after your doctorate can get you the green card.

Don't worry about states to hustle, wherever you do your PhD in the U.S., hustling is almost impossible in during the PhD year. If you don't pass your candidacy exams at the end the 2nd year, you'll be given a second masters and get discharged. Internship is a way of hustling during your studies and you can do that anywhere during the breaks.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by kunlebal(m): 1:08am On Apr 13, 2015
Walspring:

Big boss, My side is tight and sorry i didnt get back to you because something surface.

I will send you email later
No problem bro.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by bbdd: 1:21am On Apr 13, 2015
pumpin26:

@slimmy05

Once you accept a position it would actually be most irresponsible to reject it.
That's the truth.
UIowa is a good school. Sometimes we search for elusive things thinking they offer what we need.
You have Iowa. Forget about UTexas. If God days you'll make it in Iowa you'll make it.
Besides you're going to school. No one says you'll be in Iowa forever.
After you education if you don't feel the place you're free to bounce bro.
Congrats on your admission.
#teamfall
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by OjaP: 2:32am On Apr 13, 2015
MsNas:
OjaP,

Happy Birthday. Live long and prosper. Make sure you finish all the Guinness they sell in California today. grin I trust you sha. Turn it up and do shakara. It's your birthday kiss kiss

Thanks so much my dear. I say a big AMEN to all the prayers. Sadly, I don't drink GUINNESS but I will turn up for you anyways wink wink

(1) (2) (3) ... (435) (436) (437) (438) (439) (440) (441) ... (502)

Lets Talk About Estonia / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 / German Embassy And Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.