Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,580 members, 7,816,429 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:08 AM

How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? (9027 Views)

Would There Ever Be Universal Unity With Colored/black Folks? / Question To The Fulani Folks / The Younger Nigerian Man And The Older Woman: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by vikel2104: 9:10pm On Aug 22, 2014
There is an apparent discrepancy between older generations and younger generations when it comes to the use of new technology. Older people tend to be less proficient in their use of technology. It is usually difficult to teach the older people new manual tasks, such as operating DVD recorders , computers or iPods.

I'll use my older folks as examples. By older folks I mean parents, uncles/aunties and grandparents.

Between parents, my mum is way ahead of my dad in terms of using new technology. My dad who is in his late fifties does not know much about computers and he doesn't care to know! He's a civil servant but his job doesn't require the use of computers so I guess that even made him close his mind to learning it.

My mum on the other hand, has a laptop which she uses and even browses for information on the internet using her modem. She recently joined Facebook. She has a smart phone unlike my dad who prefers his good old Nokia torch! My mum isn't perfect in using these devices though. She sometimes forgets some functions and where to locate some things on her laptop and when a virus causes her to lose some files on her computer, she simply blames it on the last person who touched the computer even if all the person did was to press the 'on' button. I have tried to explain to her severally that viruses don't fly into people's computers just like that.
Back to my dad. When he buys a new appliance, he will insist on reading the manual to get all the functions instead of simply looking at the appliance and applying the knowledge of how similar appliances work to get the machine running.

As for my uncles, they are pretty good with new technology but we the younger generation are still better.

My grandmother, though in her eighties, knows how to use her phone. At least she can save and locate contacts on her phone. Boy, she can make calls! But that's all she knows. If you go on to explain other ‘complex’ functions to her, you will just be wasting your time.

Now over to you.

How are your older folks responding to new technology? How good are they with these new devices?

25 Likes 8 Shares

Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by Nobody: 9:23pm On Aug 22, 2014
Mehn, na dem dey chat pas us die grin

1 Like

Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by Nobody: 9:35pm On Aug 22, 2014
One sensible topic. Amidst a pack of troll-full and meaningless threads. Nice.
My dad responds to these new tech better than my mum. He is more eager to learn. You need to see him asking 'bout FB, how important having websites are and all that.
Same goes for my uncles and aunties.. They are very eager to learn and revel in their ability to partake in current trend.
My grandma, can only press the ''green'' button on her phone to say ''hallooo'' grin and nothing more. All the calls she wishes to make, her done for her.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by A7(m): 10:51pm On Aug 22, 2014
Just as you can't teach an old dog new tricks, it is usually difficult to teach the older people new manual tasks

This reminds me of the saying "two wrongs will not make a right".

Two wrongs: your parents, those you're calling old dogs.
Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by itstpia1: 1:15am On Aug 23, 2014
What was the first wrong?

1 Like

Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by Nobody: 9:52pm On Aug 23, 2014
I am younger than your study age group...30plus...but, I am sometimes very resentful of technology
I have devices yeah, but I from time to time have fantasies of the internet and technological gadgets crashing for like two years...or more cheesy

Then I am "team hard copy" for books
Technology-wise...I am in the wrong era

People always give me drivel for not picking my calls..
...then making calls?
Okayyyy lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by hydeka: 3:59am On Aug 25, 2014
My older folks are struggling with new tech but some are trying anyway.
Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by hydeka: 12:29pm On Aug 26, 2014
My mum drives an automatic car but once there is a fault, she's totally helpless without her mechanic. She will be like 'what is that red light showing there?' 'why is the sound of the engine like that?' As for phones, she loves high tech phones but men, she asks a lot of questions on the same thing over and over again. She won't hesitate to call me on phone to say 'please remind me how to move this folder to my flash drive' What?! again? I've told you this many times already! Sometimes she'll just call to tell about a strange notification showing on her laptop's desktop background even if it's nothing harmful to her computer.

4 Likes

Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by Emmyk(m): 7:57pm On Aug 26, 2014
Pretty cool and fast. Both dad and mum. My dad, twas due to the nature of his work he had to upgrade himself.... He has been in the game since 2000.

My mum is still coming up...she does not wanna be left behind. cheesy

1 Like

Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by itstpia1: 8:14pm On Aug 26, 2014
New technology is mostly designed for the younger folks, not older ones.

I've seen a few which were specifically for older people, however they arent many since the purchasing power when it comes to new technology, is a younger demographic.

So, in short, it might not be as profitable a margin to go after the older citizenry.
Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by vikel2104: 3:47am On Aug 27, 2014
comments..
Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by itstpia1: 6:25am On Aug 27, 2014
why is the information important to you?

you already gave your family history, what do you want to do with other people's own?
Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by ElFenomeno1: 10:53am On Aug 27, 2014
itstpia1: why is the information important to you?

you already gave your family history, what do you want to do with other people's own?

STFU Tpia and lets have some peace.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by davidif: 4:50pm On Aug 27, 2014
milychocs: I am younger than your study age group...30plus...but, I am sometimes very resentful of technology
I have devices yeah, but I from time to time have fantasies of the internet and technological gadgets crashing for like two years...or more cheesy

hahahaha, i feel like you sometimes.

1 Like

Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by davidif: 4:51pm On Aug 27, 2014
RuudNisterooy: One sensible topic. Amidst a pack of troll-full and meaningless threads. Nice.
My dad responds to these new tech better than my mum. He is more eager to learn. You need to see him asking 'bout FB, how important having websites are and all that.

This should definitely go to the frontpage.
Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by vikel2104: 2:50am On Aug 28, 2014
Keep the thread alive.
Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by vikel2104: 6:42am On Aug 28, 2014
Mods thanks for taking this to the frontpage.
Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by naturally: 8:21am On Aug 28, 2014
Funny
Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by Beesluv: 8:22am On Aug 28, 2014
Hmmmmm, sometimes, we have to advertise and beg them to use it. But now, you see them on whatsapp, Facebook which they login once a while grin

1 Like

Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by sammieguze(m): 8:24am On Aug 28, 2014
Poorly
Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by MillionDollars: 8:24am On Aug 28, 2014
to some extent....

meanwhile

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by Emmalot121(m): 8:24am On Aug 28, 2014
Imagine my Grandma asking me when I was playing football on my Play Station on the name of the country where the players were playing. Then my answer was COMPUTER REPUBLIC and she gave in grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by Guykhena(m): 8:24am On Aug 28, 2014

12 Likes 7 Shares

Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by Codedrock(m): 8:24am On Aug 28, 2014
I think my dad responds well.. Appreciate them all and use..
Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by hotmolo(m): 8:24am On Aug 28, 2014
Its so not easy for them. They trying dogh
Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by Nobody: 8:25am On Aug 28, 2014
I dey observe
Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by Rilwayne001: 8:26am On Aug 28, 2014
Only my dad respond well, but mum is an illiterate that she cannot operate a small Nokia phone embarassed , she was deprived of western education by her family.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by Nobody: 8:27am On Aug 28, 2014
q
Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by UjSizzle(f): 8:29am On Aug 28, 2014
My mum is a tech monster cheesy She uses the computer, has 3 really cool phones, social network presence, sheesh she puts me to shame!

Dad just manages to use the green button on his phone and the radio tongue

My aunt needs her glasses to find the green button, and sometimes forget to press red after a call grin

8 Likes

Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by Nobody: 8:30am On Aug 28, 2014
My mum isn't too familiar with all these gadgets,her fone basically is to make call only then,it took several tutorials before she can send SMS on her phone. Before then,she begs my sister to do it for her,now she's married,she has no choice to learn that.

ATM- she took time to learn that too,infact,my sister was the custodian of her ATM card,and she calls her to withdraw money for her,whenever she needs cash. Now,she has learnt that one too after many trial,and errors.

She detest complicated gadget,or one that has many button to press.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by MizMyColi(f): 8:31am On Aug 28, 2014
I still prefer the days of my youth.

This generation is just too sophisticated for my liking.
Whatever happened to using a solid mortar and pestle to pound yam for my dear husband eeh?
Now they expect me to buy that "Osuji Yam Pounder".
Don't they know that if it isn't panadol, it can never be panadol?
Chai!! smh.

[size=2pt]#JustTrolling[/size]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by tivta(m): 8:31am On Aug 28, 2014
Interesting topic. At age 68 my mum uses a tablet but can't operate the tv. My dad on the other hand operates the tv but can't operate a tablet. Perfect combination.

5 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Do Anambra Men Marry Women From Other States? / Any One Here Interested In Discussing Yoruba Deities? / Six Reasons Why Other Tribes Must Always Respect Yorubas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.