Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,619 members, 7,809,278 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:11 AM

How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? (9025 Views)

Would There Ever Be Universal Unity With Colored/black Folks? / Question To The Fulani Folks / The Younger Nigerian Man And The Older Woman: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by Donkaz(m): 8:31am On Aug 28, 2014
most of the older folks do not want to embrace the new technolgy, and sometimes i dont blame them.

the new technology has brought its own problems with it
Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by flyca: 8:32am On Aug 28, 2014
My dad is not that technologically savvy, just make calls, send texts... but my mum chats on whatsapp wella cheesy. She edited all her PhD project work herself.

3 Likes

Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by Beesluv: 8:34am On Aug 28, 2014
MillionDollars: to some extent....

meanwhile

What do you mean? undecided That's just one of the phases of life. We shall rise above our enemies again. UP MAN U

1 Like

Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by bayulll01(m): 8:35am On Aug 28, 2014
they are pathetic,I av a proffesor that don't know what browser is,some can't even send mail,but some agbaya are on 2go and whatsapp trying to molest innocents kids young to be their great grand child

2 Likes

Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by 2rhymestharap(m): 8:36am On Aug 28, 2014
Technology?.. View ma profile.. An old woman saw mee by the road.. She knelt that and said "Ookun baba" (meaning well done father).. I was embrassed like TF!.. You seen no tinted hair before ma?!... People who saw her started laughing at me...

2 Likes

Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by phaphyz05(m): 8:37am On Aug 28, 2014
Lolz u need to see me teaching my moms (a teacher) to use gadgets men it's like teaching a 1 year old kid to eat Amala.
Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by Nnamdini(m): 8:37am On Aug 28, 2014
Today's is my BIRTHDAY!!!!!

13 Likes

Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by rattlesnake(m): 8:38am On Aug 28, 2014
My grand pa use to watch pooorn on his ipad undecided
Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by DanTrizy(m): 8:38am On Aug 28, 2014
Mumcy was compared to get a lappy cos of her work ish, she dnt even knw how to turn it on n off lol. I'm the one using it, pop his torch light cp is well too good enough for him.
Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by EyesWideOpen(m): 8:39am On Aug 28, 2014
With disinterest, sadly.
Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by Ekundayo7: 8:40am On Aug 28, 2014
MillionDollars: to some extent....

meanwhile
www.nairaland.com/attachments/1659468_manu_png4ded756312be8bb1f213edcd38b1b999
BWAHAHAHAHAAH GOOD ONE!
Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by boman2014: 8:43am On Aug 28, 2014
my mom ask to open a facebook account but i really dont think it wise.

1 Like

Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by blank(f): 8:48am On Aug 28, 2014
From the period when computers were those big desktop thingies, my dad had one at home and taught us how to use the computer. He is a pro when it comes to technology. Any new gadget that comes out, he will get it. I used to tease him that him and his gadgets are competing for space in his room. He is always looking for ways to simplify work. This comes with its own downsides because he was a sucker for all those silly gimmicks that cost money and do not do what they say they will do.

My mum on the other hand was the complete opposite. She was never interested in all those things and never used a computer until she retired. She won't even use the remote for the ac cos she said it feels strange. I remember when we both went to our villa, we didn't use the generator cos she didn't know how to use it. Phones were landlines for her and it was faster for her to call than to send an sms. SMS could take the whole day. However, since she retired, she has improved a lot. She is now on whatsapp, facebook, sends emails, browses the internet, etc. Seems like my dad has started infecting her and her office people have stopped. I think the highpoint was when we did SKYPE. I couldn't even believe that she knew what it did not to mention using it. People do change. Wouldn't be surprised if she is on Nairaland as well. That would be so weird.

2 Likes

Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by pendusky(m): 8:48am On Aug 28, 2014
Am surprised That my MUM and Dad decided to create a family group on whatsapp... mehn my bbm now I can't really update rubbish coz MUM will always ask what The meaning of that? who is on ur dp?

sometimes it better left not teaching these old men something about internet...

they will always ask u Google page icon is changing every day. ha

grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by Nobody: 9:00am On Aug 28, 2014
Lolzzz...My mum's d only Sweedie who can't use tech's' much...she no even get d time for dat...but every1else in d house fancies tech
Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by Nobody: 9:00am On Aug 28, 2014
Great thread. Well, my dad (59) has always been a tech freak from the days of brother computers and Panasonic handsets to the latest gadgets. He didn't read ICT in college but he's always been fascinated by tech as a whole. The man can do basic configurations of different systems without the help of an expert.

I'm really proud of him cos he's influenced me positively from using a computer from an early age of 5 to attaining a B.Sc degree in Computer Science and Engineering at 20! As for my mum, she's average.

2 Likes

Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by Dosoq(f): 9:03am On Aug 28, 2014
My mum uses a touch screen LG fone,very technical,but she's catching up though,so many times she tells me,"my fone is dis n dat,help me reset it" .she's so so funny wen typing wit it,she touches d screen lik......jst can't describe it
Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by lateef2009: 9:07am On Aug 28, 2014
in own case I opened facebook for my dad twice after forgeting his password and email address severally, but nw he is catching up.....as for my mum any time I pay her a visit she sits me down and ask me to google names of star actors and actresses in movie she seen and reading all about them to her from google..
Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by unapologetic: 9:09am On Aug 28, 2014
My Dad is still a kid at heart when it comes to technology but my mom is the opposite... my Dad even took it a step further by adding me on BBM but I deleted him and lied that I lost my phone. Thank God we are not in thesame country lol. My mom has two android phones but she only knows how to make a call, text and take a picture. On her tablet, she only knows how to access her office work on it. My little bro is always the one one showing her what to do lol. It so funny that she wouldn't accept whenever I call her Old school.

2 Likes

Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by Nobody: 9:14am On Aug 28, 2014
Dad is a tech freak. But then,On whatsapp,he won't let me be, grin with every profile picture and status update, he always has something to say, ahn ahn, na wa o angry
because of him, I had to hide my "last seen".
And now, he is insisting I add him up on BBm or give him my pin and I keep giving him excuses grin

I already blocked him on facebook grin

Mum is just on the average, the only internet activity she does is whatsapp, which is like once in a week.

1 Like

Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by sentix(m): 9:18am On Aug 28, 2014
If my dad was alive I could only imagine what he will be doing with technology now. He allowed me to do some word processing on a macintosh when I was twelve. by 2001 he was already asking me how can he create his own website. so I can only Imagine what he will be doing now!

My mom was 70 last month God bless her. Hates touch screen phones, loves nokia (battery life), apart from calling, loading card on her phones and changing ringtones. she is not interested. if you send her sms u have just wasted 4.00 cus u will come and read it when you come around?

10 Likes

Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by Nobody: 9:23am On Aug 28, 2014
Both of them use really cool smartphones. Dad uses an android while she uses a windows, but I think Dad knows better. My mum requires help with this and that, but Dad does everything on his own.

Computer-wise, you can't beat my dad. He owns a desktop computer and 2 laptops. My mum prefers the desktop computer sha. grin

Both are on facebook, although they're own is just go online, accept friend requests, and like or comment on your post. Nothing more. They hardly update any status or photo.

Dad is on whatsapp, mum is about to join.

My dad actually thinks social networks are a waste of time. grin
Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by Iaz93: 9:26am On Aug 28, 2014
Joavid: Dad is a tech freak. But then,On whatsapp,he won't let me be, grin with every profile picture and status update, he always has something to say, ahn ahn, na wa o angry
because of him, I had to hide my "last seen".
And now, he is insisting I add him up on BBm or give him my pin and I keep giving him excuses grin

I already blocked him on facebook grin

Mum is just on the average, the only internet activity she does is whatsapp, which is like once in a week.

grin grin

You can also block him on WhatsApp.
Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by Mybettingtips(m): 9:28am On Aug 28, 2014
Yomieluv: My mum isn't too familiar with all these gadgets,her fone basically is to make call only then,it took several tutorials before she can send SMS on her phone. Before then,she begs my sister to do it for her,now she's married,she has no choice to learn that.

ATM- she took time to learn that too,infact,my sister was the custodian of her ATM card,and she calls her to withdraw money for her,whenever she needs cash. Now,she has learnt that one too after many trial,and errors.

She detest complicated gadget,or one that has many button to press.
Same issue with my mum.... It has been over 3 years now that we've been teaching her how to send simple SMS. Teach her today and in the next one week she is back again with the same issue........ She is well educated and in her early fifties
Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by basille(m): 9:29am On Aug 28, 2014
Mum is very good with technology, she's a computer literate. Dad is good with technologies also but a novice when it comes to computers and smartphone.
Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by Nobody: 9:31am On Aug 28, 2014
Iaz93:

grin grin

You can also block him on WhatsApp.

Nah.. That won't be nice.grin And he's gonna ask why, what will I say?
Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by Iaz93: 9:34am On Aug 28, 2014
Joavid:

Nah.. That won't be nice.grin And he's gonna ask why, what will I say?
Tell him 'Application Malfunction'

1 Like

Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by dasphinx1(m): 9:34am On Aug 28, 2014
Mom just does her whatsapp and medical research via her droid......then play a couple games ajd take lots of selfies undecided ........if Pops was alive, e for don be serious competition between him, me and my sisters cause he was the one who introduced us to technology when were kids cheesy.....i still remember when he bought a desktop PC bak in 1997, oh boi, we were so excited!! It felt like he had bought a brand new car cheesy

1 Like

Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by Elparaiso(m): 9:41am On Aug 28, 2014
smiley[color=#000000][/color]my mum, chai! if it's not chinco she is not buying even then she wants to whatsapp and Facebook by force. I have opened more than 5 accounts for her..... my job is to open the account and her job is to forget the password.... then she blames the last person that touches a spoilt appliance...... my dad goes well with his laptop, at least he reads the tribune on it daily by himself..

1 Like

Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by viktor556(m): 9:43am On Aug 28, 2014
basille: Mum is very good with technology, she's a computer literate. Dad is good with technologies also but a novice when it comes to computers and smartphone.
what's technologies without computers and smartphone?!
Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by macdelene(m): 9:46am On Aug 28, 2014
My mum is an Internet wizard. She is far into technology than me. I can't imagine.
Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by Nobody: 9:53am On Aug 28, 2014
Iaz93: Tell him 'Application Malfunction'
grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Six Reasons Why Other Tribes Must Always Respect Yorubas / Why Are South Africans So Rude, Loud And Cheap / Professor Kings : 10 Nigerian Traditional Rulers That Are Professors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.