Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,265 members, 7,846,247 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 12:44 PM

Things You Only See In Dubai - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Things You Only See In Dubai (65017 Views)

Nigerian Man Under Trial In Dubai For Beating Up An Indian / Nigerians Stuck In Dubai/ Overstayed Take Advantage Of This / Where Can I Buy Gold In Dubai? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Things You Only See In Dubai by spanzed(m): 12:10pm On Aug 23, 2014
Op are u studying in dubia or just leaving dere..I need some vital info about a school dere can u pls say how I can contact u personally..Thanks
Re: Things You Only See In Dubai by numericalguy(m): 12:16pm On Aug 23, 2014
@ ronaldreagan26 and Dailynews,

The Arabs are having a time of their lives, why all the hate and bitterness na.

Its not their fault that Nigerians have no light
Its not their fault that you live in face me I slap you.
You cant blame them for your inability to secure a good job in 8years after NYSC
Why belle come dey turn una like this na

Abeg free them joor, besides no country is perfect. This same people your are hating so much don't even know you exist.
Its your kind that will stop greeting their neighbor the moment he buys a new car grin

Why don't you use all this energy to try to better you own country.

11 Likes

Re: Things You Only See In Dubai by Onyiibazz: 12:17pm On Aug 23, 2014
glitest:

"You ladies"??

First of all....I use my own hair often, but when I make my hair??...I carry it for a month /six weeks.

Secondly, not all women change their hair styles every other day;Atleast the one's I know and i've met. .......Majority of them either work 9am-5pm jobs, or are fulltime students....so therefore changing hairstyles isn't on their priority list.

Stop generalizing women....I'm speaking for the women with life purposes, and not the trash bags that you and guys like yourselves always tend to woo and hang out with.

Your lots, have no one but yourselves to blame..Why?, because your type are always going for the vain, the shallow, and the girls with the very low self-esteem, who can't get themselves to leave the house, without applying 10 layers of makeup and 15 pieces and shades/ colors of Brazilian weaves, all because they are afraid of getting lonely or are too lazy to hustle; So therefore, look for mugu's like yourselves to help sustain their lifestyles.

So instead of pointing the fingers at all women?, why don't you work on yourself; change your mindset about what you're looking for in a woman...Try looking for our attributes, and not our assets.

Hehehe! All this for me alone? Mumu, mugu, and the rest! I don die! We can go on and on arguing this but that doesnt just make sense by the way exams dey 4 monday self! But you could v atleast make your points without calling me names na!

2 Likes

Re: Things You Only See In Dubai by sexyfunkky(f): 12:21pm On Aug 23, 2014
I must visit dubai dis year o, to see all dis nice tinzs...God provide money o! Money is good o

1 Like

Re: Things You Only See In Dubai by LCDD: 12:22pm On Aug 23, 2014
@op, pls do u know where I can get quality men and women clothes cheap in Dubai. I intend to visit soonest. Tnks in advance.
Re: Things You Only See In Dubai by Nobody: 12:28pm On Aug 23, 2014
Onyiibazz:

Hehehe! All this for me alone? Mumu, mugu, and the rest! I don die! We can go on and on arguing this but that doesnt just make sense by the way exams dey 4 monday self! But you could v atleast make your points without calling me names na!

I never replied your comment with the intention of getting into an agurement, because there isn't any to agure about.....So yes, aguring wouldn't make any ounce of sense, because I am 100% sure I gave you a legitimate reply.

PS: I never called you names; Mugu is the term used for men who are easily duped by trashy women....You could either do some research on it; or better yet, ask your fellow Nl pals to explain what that term means to you.....Secondly, you wouldn't have quoted nor replied my comment for the second time, if you were that serious with your forth coming exams...So talking about it, doesn't make you look important nor serious... GOODLUCK ON YOUr EXAMS.

3 Likes

Re: Things You Only See In Dubai by SkinnyDude(m): 12:35pm On Aug 23, 2014
freecocoa: See this one, no be your mates we dey talk about here? Go get a chef my friend. angry
babe we go make am. no mind that guy.
Re: Things You Only See In Dubai by careema(f): 12:40pm On Aug 23, 2014
What amazed me when i travelled there is their police cars, God! i was amazed, lamborgini and the likes. the tot that crossed my mind was to drive this car, i wouldnt mind being an officer. grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Things You Only See In Dubai by crackhouse(m): 12:53pm On Aug 23, 2014
Oluwa Jesu. otu ocha.
Re: Things You Only See In Dubai by Onyiibazz: 12:57pm On Aug 23, 2014
glitest:

I never replied your comment with the intention of getting into an agurement, because there isn't any to agure about.....So yes, aguring wouldn't make any ounce of sense, because I am 100% sure I gave you a legitimate reply.

PS: I never called you names; Mugu is the term used for men who are easily duped by trashy women....You could either do some research on it; or better yet, ask your fellow Nl pals to explain what that term means to you.....Secondly, you wouldn't have quoted nor replied my comment for the second time, if you were that serious with your forth coming exams...So talking about it, doesn't make you look important nor serious... GOODLUCK ON YOUr EXAMS.

I see
Re: Things You Only See In Dubai by rafcrown(m): 12:58pm On Aug 23, 2014
Wish to visit Dubai-as a tourist,to see and confirm.
Re: Things You Only See In Dubai by freecocoa(f): 1:01pm On Aug 23, 2014
SkinnyDude:
babe we go make am. no mind that guy.
Yea we will my dear.
Re: Things You Only See In Dubai by henryobinna(m): 1:06pm On Aug 23, 2014
Abatemtem: u too know where d money is now
no too sure oh
Re: Things You Only See In Dubai by henryobinna(m): 1:06pm On Aug 23, 2014
Abatemtem: u too know where d money is now
not too sure oh
Re: Things You Only See In Dubai by rafcrown(m): 1:44pm On Aug 23, 2014
Saw this on escapeartist.com and decided to put it here for those who have been to Dubai to either confirm or dismiss the excerpts posted by Blake Herrin below. . .take your time to read . . .its long but interesting ! wink
20 reasons why you should not move to DUBAI.

"Living in Dubai is not wonderful and glamorous, as many would have you believe. Forget about what you’ve read, seen, and heard; those shiny buildings and man made islands are all just smoke and mirrors. There are so many things wrong with this place that I have decided to compile a list, a must read if you are considering a potential move to Dubai.

1. There is no standard address system making mail-to-the door delivery impossible. In fact, it makes anything nearly impossible. The taxi driver, here for only two days, and having learned English from old Beatles albums has no clue where your house is. He won’t tell you that of course, he’ll just keep calling and saying, “Okay, okay. Yeah, yeah.” When you purchase something that requires delivery they do not have an address line, but a box where you are expected to draw a map. Not able to draw a map? Explain like this: I live on the street after the airport road, but before the roundabout. Go past the mosque and make a U-turn.

2. The government blocks all web sites that it deems “offensive” to the “religious, moral, and cultural values” of the UAE. That’s hard to swallow for a freedom loving American, but I get it. I do not understand, however, why all VOIP access and related web sites are blocked. I guess the government also takes offense to people inexpensively contacting their families back home. You’re welcome to call using the analog service provided by the government-owned telephone monopoly, but it will cost you a whole lot more. So much so, in fact, your frequency of calls will be greatly diminished if you can afford them at all. The government says VOIP is blocked for security reasons, yet even the residents of communist China and North Korea have access to these inexpensive calls.

3. It is really hot outside. Not Florida in July hot; Hot as if you were locked in a car in Florida in July with sufficient humidity to make it feel as though you are drowning. Hot as in 120 degrees with nearly 100% humidity. Do not look to the wind for relief. This is the equivalent of pointing a hairdryer on full blast directly at your face. Pour fine moon dust-like sand over your head as you do this and you get the picture.

4. There are too few trees, plants, and grass – or living things aside from us crazy humans, for that matter. Ever see a bird pant? I have. In my opinion, human beings were not meant to live in such a place. If we were, there would be sufficient water and shade. The only greenery around are the roadside gardens planted by the government, who waters the hell out of them in the middle of the day. Thanks a lot! Didn’t you say we should cut down on our water consumption because you are unable to keep up with the demand? I have an idea: let’s all move someplace where it’s not 120 degrees outside.

5. This country prides itself so much on its glitz and glamour that it put a picture of its 7-star hotel on the license plate. Yet, the public toilets in the king-of-bling Gold Souk district are holes in the ground with no toilet paper or soap. Hoses to rinse your nether regions, however, are provided. This results in a mass of water on the floor that you must stand in to pee. Try squatting without touching anything and keeping your pants from touching anything either. Oh yeah. It’s 120 degrees in there too.

6. This country encourages businesses to hire people from other poor countries to come here and work. They have them sign contracts that are a decade long and then take their passports. Even though taking passports is supposedly illegal, the government knows it happens and does nothing to enforce the law. These poor people are promised a certain pay, but the companies neglect to tell them they will be deducting their cost of living from their paychecks, leaving them virtually penniless – that is, if they choose to pay them. Companies hold back paychecks for months at a time. When the workers strike as a result, they are jailed. Protesting is illegal, you see (apparently this law IS enforced). These people will never make enough to buy a ticket home and even if they do, they do not have their passports. They live crammed in portables with tons of others, in highly unsanitary conditions. The kicker: they are building hotels that cost more to stay in for one night than they will make in an entire year. Things are so bad that a number of laborers are willing to throw themselves in front of cars because their death would bring their family affluence in the form of diya, blood money paid to the victim’s family as mandated by the government.

7. Things are not cheaper here. I’m sick of people saying that. I read the letters to the editor page of the paper and people say to those who complain about the cost of living rising here, “Well, it’s cheaper than your home country or you wouldn’t be here.” The only thing cheaper here is labor. Yes, you can have a maid – but a bag of washed lettuce will cost you almost $10.

8. There are traffic cameras everywhere. I consider this cheating. Where are the damn cops? I drove around this city for weeks before I ever even saw a cop. Trust me, they need traffic cops here. People drive like idiots. It’s perfectly okay to turn left from the far right lane, but speeding even just a couple of kilometers over will get you fined. These cameras are placed strategically as you come down hills, or just as the speed limit changes. Before you know it…BAM! Fined. Forget to pay the bill and your car will be impounded.

9. The clothing some of these women wear makes no sense to me. I understand that as part of your religion you are required to dress in a particular way, but a black robe over your jeans and turtleneck and cover your head when it is 120 degrees outside? In the gym some women wear five layers of clothing…sweatpants and t-shits over sweaters with headscarves. Yet the men’s clothing makes absolute sense: white, airy, and nothing underneath but their skivvies.

10. People stare at you. I am sick of being stared at. I’m stared at by men who have never seen a fair-skinned blue-eyed woman before, or who have and think we are all prostitutes so it’s okay to stare. They stare at me when I am fully covered or with my husband, and even follow me around. It’s beyond creepy and has brought me to tears on more than one occasion. The staring is not limited to men, either. I’m stared at angrily by female prostitutes who think I am running in on their territory by having a few drinks with my husband at the bar.

11. Prostitutes? Oh hell yes, there are prostitutes. Tons of them. So, let me get this straight, I can’t look at a Unclad picture of a person on the Internet in the privacy of my home, but it is okay to go out in public and buy a few for the night?

12. Alcohol can only be sold in hotels and a handful of private clubs. A person must own a liquor license to consume in the privacy of their own home. To obtain a liquor license you must get signed approval from your boss, prove a certain level of salary that determines how much you are allowed to buy, and then submit several mug shots (aka passport photos) for approval. Pay the fee and the additional 30% tax on every purchase and you may drink at home. Then again, you can just pick up a few bottles in the airport duty free on your way in to the country, but two is the max. Why not just drive out to Ajman where it’s a free-for-all and load up the SUV? It’s easy enough, but crossing the Emirates with alcohol is illegal – particularly in the dry emirate of Sharjah, which just happens to lie between Dubai and Ajman. Go figure.

13. Not only do you have to get your boss’s approval to obtain a liquor license, but you must also get the company’s approval to rent property, have a telephone, or get satellite TV.

14. Back to the craziness on the roads: If I see one more kid standing up and waving to me out the back window while flying down the road at 160 kph…whatever happened to seatbelts?

15. When is the weekend again? Let me get this straight: the weekend used to be Thursday and Friday, but no one took off all of Thursday, just a half day really. Now the government says Friday and Saturday are the weekend, but some people only take off Friday, others still take a half day on Thursday, but some might just take a half day on Saturday instead. Anyway you slice it, Sundays are workdays and little business can be accomplished Thursday through Saturday.

16. There are few satellite television operators:. The movie channels play movies that are old and outdated. Many of them went straight to video back in the States. Every sitcom that failed in the US has been purchased and is played here. Old episodes of Knight Rider are advertised like it is the coolest thing since sliced bread. The TV commercials are repeated so often that I am determined NOT to buy anything I see advertised on television here just for the principle of it. When I say repeated often, I mean every commercial break – sometimes more than once.

17. The roads are horribly designed. Driving ten minutes out of the way to make a U-turn is not uncommon. People are not able to give directions most of the time (remember reason #1), and the maps are little help because most have few road names on them, if any. Where is interchange four? You just have to hope you got on the freeway in the right place and start counting because they are not numbered. Miss it and you’ll likely end up on the other side of town before you are able to turn around and go back.

18. Taxi drivers are dangerous and smell. Taxi drivers work very hard here to earn a living because travel by taxi is still relatively inexpensive, even though the cost of living is not (see reason #7). Because of this you may have a driver who has had little sleep or the opportunity to shower for several days. Many of these drivers have just as much difficulty finding their way around as you do, but add to this a third-world country driving style and extreme exhaustion and, well, remember to buckle up for safety.

19. Speeding is an Emirati sport and Emirates Road is just an extension of the Dubai Autodrome. I know I keep mentioning the roads, but really, much of this city’s issues are encompassed by the erratic and irrational behavior displayed on its streets. Visions of flashing lights on even flashier, limo-tinted SUVs haunt me as I merge on to the highway. Local nationals are somehow able to get the sun-protecting dark window tint denied to us lowly expats and use it to hide their faces as they tailgate you incessantly at unbelievably high speeds, their lights flickering on and off and horn blaring repeatedly. It doesn’t matter that you can’t get over, or if doing so would be particularly dangerous, they will run you off the road to get in front of you. Don’t even think about giving someone the finger; the offense could land you in jail. Tailgating is, unbelievably, legal.

20. Dubai is far from environmentally friendly. Ever wonder how much damage those man made islands are doing to the delicate ocean ecosystem? Coral reefs, sea grasses, and oyster beds that were once part of protected marine lands lie choked under a barrage of dredged up sea sand. Consider the waste that occurs from erecting buildings on top of these sand monsters and from the people that occupy them coupled with the lack of an effective recycling program and you have an environmental disaster on your hands. Add to this more gas guzzling SUVs than fuel-efficient cars on the road and the need for 24-hour powerful air-conditioning and its evident that the environment is not high on the priority list of the UAE.
So while I’m sure there are benefits to living in Dubai, tax breaks, multi-cultural environments, and beautiful buildings aside, reconsider your plans to move here if any of the above mentioned reasons strikes a chord within you. Dubai is a city caught in an identity crisis. Struggling somewhere between its desire to be a playground for the rich and its adherence to traditional Islamic roots, rests a city that lacks sufficient infrastructure to support its delusions of grandeur. Visit if you must, but leave quickly before you are sucked into its calamitous void".

Source: http://www.escapeartist.com/live/2014/03/18/20-reasons-not-to-move-to-dubai/

4 Likes

Re: Things You Only See In Dubai by eromspete(m): 1:47pm On Aug 23, 2014
UAE Waka Waka Photos..

Re: Things You Only See In Dubai by Nobody: 1:47pm On Aug 23, 2014

Re: Things You Only See In Dubai by eromspete(m): 1:48pm On Aug 23, 2014
Photos continued.. Dem plenty but lemme just post these few..

Re: Things You Only See In Dubai by amiskurie(m): 2:00pm On Aug 23, 2014
justi4jesu: [b]The Things People Do With Their Money...Only in Dubai

There is a lot of money in the middle east. In the UAE, specifically Dubai, you see it everywhere. Money is spent extravagantly and lavishly, sometimes on some of the most unusual things and /or in excess. Automobiles, homes, animals and buildings...it does not matter.

I have mentioned it in previous posts but e[size=8pt][/size]xpensive luxury cars are so commonplace in Dubai, that it seems normal to see Ferrari's, Rolls Royce and Maybachs all around you on the road. But have you ever seen a baby pink expedition ? I have and it is simply beautiful. It looked like cotton candy on wheels.

The Rolls Royce Ghost in the picture below pulled up along side of us on Jumeriah Beach Road. The young men driving the car looked as if they were 14, okay, maybe 16. I wondered if their dad knew they had his car out for a spin ? They were happy to smile for the camera shot, then off they went. I sure hope they got the car home safely, with out any new scratches or dents.

Have you ever seen a Rolls Royce covered in artificial grass, the whole thing in Astro turf?hmmm I had never seen any car covered in fake grass, let alone a Rolls Royce. Don't quite understand that one.

If they want it, they have it done.[/b]
But grass like exteriors is very common here in my part of Lagos...someone does that here
Re: Things You Only See In Dubai by justi4jesu(f): 2:05pm On Aug 23, 2014
amiskurie:
But grass like exteriors is very common here in my part of Lagos...someone does that here

Pictures or ....................... u know lipsrsealed lipsrsealed grin
Re: Things You Only See In Dubai by amiskurie(m): 2:14pm On Aug 23, 2014
justi4jesu:

Pictures or ....................... u know lipsrsealed lipsrsealed grin
I swear,what will I gain lying abt grass like cars in lekki and environs.
I don't have the pix currently to back it up,but someone does this here.I have seen abt 5 different cars with grass
Re: Things You Only See In Dubai by Nobody: 2:16pm On Aug 23, 2014
Any economy built on mineral/natural resources will never last, just a matter of time, and that's what Arab and African countries fail to understand until the time it will hit them by surprise and you will see all these so-called oil rich islands and mini-countries go into economy turmoil.

When you want to talk about countries that should be envied, you should talk about countries that have and own technology and not all these natural resources dependent nations feeling like they have arrived.

Dubai citizens are lazy, and that's what my corrupt black Africans love- having money without working for it, which is why Arab and African nations are so corrupt.

Talk about: China, Japan, India, Taiwan, Korea, United States, Norway, Switzerland, Finland, Israel, etc, and I will join you in hailing them.

Not lazy, corrupt, wicked womanizers called Arabs! They sponsor terrorist to sustain their evil religion!

How have all these Arab nations you're hailing contributed to African and global peace, knowledge exchange and world development?

European countries like: Denmark, Belgium, Finland, Norway, Germany, Sweden, etc for many years now have been offering tuition free scholarship to African and Arab students who want to do their masters, all for free, what have all these bragging show-off Arab countries done for Africans, Asians, etc aside religious extremism and sponsoring of terrorists to destroy global peace and unity in the name of religion?

Now Ebola virus is having a field day in Africa, while your Arab friends are busy showing off, Europeans, Americans, Chinese and Japs are busy cracking their brains to find cure to help you black Africans while u and your Arab masters are busy killing and bombing existing developments.

Wait, nature will pay them back; all these terrorists they are sponsoring secretly to destroy other ppls nations will sure come back to hunt them, wait and see. Bloody Arabs!!!

Talking about President Goodluck, he is the best President Nigeria has ever had so far if not for your Arab friends in the north destroying his efforts and making him look bad.

4 Likes

Re: Things You Only See In Dubai by Nobody: 2:27pm On Aug 23, 2014
100 wealthiest teenagers in United States alone will buy the whole of Dubai and you don't see Americans making much noise.

United States opened its doors wide for all countries of the world to come in and enjoy with them via their DV Lottery which helped alleviate many Nigerians and Africans from poverty.

But look at your Arab mentors, all they do is enslave black people who work for them and get paid a peanut.

They suppress women, make them voiceless and then turn black women into their sex slaves and love peddlers.

Arab countries are evil! Nothing good can come from them aside terrorism and religious extremism!!!

Arab nations are bloody racists!!! Can they ever allow black marry their daughters Never!!! They are cavemen!!! I don't like them at all! Give me an opportunity and I will deal with them and cripple their crude oil dependent economies and watch them starve. Lazy racists!!!

3 Likes

Re: Things You Only See In Dubai by Nobody: 2:43pm On Aug 23, 2014
justi4jesu:

The traffic is not fake maybe it was taken during celebrations because they usually have celebration of different models of cars from time to time, so today they might have celebration of Ferrari cars and you see more than 500 owners of ferrari cars on the streets. So it is not FAKE.

Mustang Celebrates 50th Anniversary With Middle East Enthusiasts In Massive Event In Dubai

And they also have Dubai Chase Street Racing Festival, then you see cars and you Jaw will drop like woww

Will you call this fake?

It's not fake but you exaggerate.

You are trying to make Nairalanders believe that a sea of Ferraris on the road is an every day occurrence when it is not.

Did you take the picture of the Ferraris in a traffic jam?

Stop embellishing.

1 Like

Re: Things You Only See In Dubai by gnykelly(m): 2:53pm On Aug 23, 2014
God I want to be a billionaire so quick and fast.

@
dailynews enjoy those pics and stop hating Arab might be racist but we Nigerians are tribalist most especially you

2 Likes

Re: Things You Only See In Dubai by numericalguy(m): 2:56pm On Aug 23, 2014
DailyNews: 100 wealthiest teenagers in United States alone will buy the whole of Dubai and you don't see Americans making much noise.

United States opened its doors wide for all countries of the world to come in and enjoy with them via their DV Lottery which helped alleviate many Nigerians and Africans from poverty.

But look at your Arab mentors, all they do is enslave black people who work for them and get paid a peanut.

They suppress women, make them voiceless and then turn black women into their sex slaves and love peddlers.

Arab countries are evil! Nothing good can come from them aside terrorism and religious extremism!!!

Arab nations are bloody racists!!! Can they ever allow black marry their daughters Never!!! They are cavemen!!! I don't like them at all! Give me an opportunity and I will deal with them and cripple their crude oil dependent economies and watch them starve. Lazy racists!!!

See as this one is foaming at the mouth because some Arabs are enjoying themselves, yet, they don't even know he exists.
Your hate and bitterness will just give you hypertension o!

I'll advice all my Nigerian brothers to stop hating and envying these Dubai people, rather we should all try to look inward and see how we can develop our own country. Is it not the same oil that they have that we have? how come we have not been able to develop our own country as well.

5 Likes

Re: Things You Only See In Dubai by Nobody: 3:05pm On Aug 23, 2014
numericalguy: @ ronaldreagan26 and Dailynews,

The Arabs are having a time of their lives, why all the hate and bitterness na.

Its not their fault that Nigerians have no light
Its not their fault that you live in face me I slap you.
You cant blame them for your inability to secure a good job in 8years after NYSC
Why belle come dey turn una like this na

Abeg free them joor, besides no country is perfect. This same people your are hating so much don't even know you exist.
Its your kind that will stop greeting their neighbor the moment he buys a new car grin

Why don't you use all this energy to try to better you own country.
Lol...this cracked me upgringrin My problem with them is they should stop sponsoring terrorists!!! They should stop deceiving gullible-minded africans with their barbaric religion!!! That's my beef with them!! If not for some reasons, nothing would take me to an Arab country, never! They are racists, wicked, inhumane and corrupt!!!
Re: Things You Only See In Dubai by numericalguy(m): 3:06pm On Aug 23, 2014
rafcrown: Saw this on escapeartist.com and decided to put it here for those who have been to Dubai to either confirm or dismiss the excerpts posted by Blake Herrin below. . .take your time to read . . .its long but interesting ! wink
20 reasons why you should not move to DUBAI.

"Living in Dubai is not wonderful and glamorous, as many would have you believe. Forget about what you’ve read, seen, and heard; those shiny buildings and man made islands are all just smoke and mirrors. There are so many things wrong with this place that I have decided to compile a list, a must read if you are considering a potential move to Dubai.

1. There is no standard address system making mail-to-the door delivery impossible. In fact, it makes anything nearly impossible. The taxi driver, here for only two days, and having learned English from old Beatles albums has no clue where your house is. He won’t tell you that of course, he’ll just keep calling and saying, “Okay, okay. Yeah, yeah.” When you purchase something that requires delivery they do not have an address line, but a box where you are expected to draw a map. Not able to draw a map? Explain like this: I live on the street after the airport road, but before the roundabout. Go past the mosque and make a U-turn.

2. The government blocks all web sites that it deems “offensive” to the “religious, moral, and cultural values” of the UAE. That’s hard to swallow for a freedom loving American, but I get it. I do not understand, however, why all VOIP access and related web sites are blocked. I guess the government also takes offense to people inexpensively contacting their families back home. You’re welcome to call using the analog service provided by the government-owned telephone monopoly, but it will cost you a whole lot more. So much so, in fact, your frequency of calls will be greatly diminished if you can afford them at all. The government says VOIP is blocked for security reasons, yet even the residents of communist China and North Korea have access to these inexpensive calls.

3. It is really hot outside. Not Florida in July hot; Hot as if you were locked in a car in Florida in July with sufficient humidity to make it feel as though you are drowning. Hot as in 120 degrees with nearly 100% humidity. Do not look to the wind for relief. This is the equivalent of pointing a hairdryer on full blast directly at your face. Pour fine moon dust-like sand over your head as you do this and you get the picture.

4. There are too few trees, plants, and grass – or living things aside from us crazy humans, for that matter. Ever see a bird pant? I have. In my opinion, human beings were not meant to live in such a place. If we were, there would be sufficient water and shade. The only greenery around are the roadside gardens planted by the government, who waters the hell out of them in the middle of the day. Thanks a lot! Didn’t you say we should cut down on our water consumption because you are unable to keep up with the demand? I have an idea: let’s all move someplace where it’s not 120 degrees outside.

5. This country prides itself so much on its glitz and glamour that it put a picture of its 7-star hotel on the license plate. Yet, the public toilets in the king-of-bling Gold Souk district are holes in the ground with no toilet paper or soap. Hoses to rinse your nether regions, however, are provided. This results in a mass of water on the floor that you must stand in to pee. Try squatting without touching anything and keeping your pants from touching anything either. Oh yeah. It’s 120 degrees in there too.

6. This country encourages businesses to hire people from other poor countries to come here and work. They have them sign contracts that are a decade long and then take their passports. Even though taking passports is supposedly illegal, the government knows it happens and does nothing to enforce the law. These poor people are promised a certain pay, but the companies neglect to tell them they will be deducting their cost of living from their paychecks, leaving them virtually penniless – that is, if they choose to pay them. Companies hold back paychecks for months at a time. When the workers strike as a result, they are jailed. Protesting is illegal, you see (apparently this law IS enforced). These people will never make enough to buy a ticket home and even if they do, they do not have their passports. They live crammed in portables with tons of others, in highly unsanitary conditions. The kicker: they are building hotels that cost more to stay in for one night than they will make in an entire year. Things are so bad that a number of laborers are willing to throw themselves in front of cars because their death would bring their family affluence in the form of diya, blood money paid to the victim’s family as mandated by the government.

7. Things are not cheaper here. I’m sick of people saying that. I read the letters to the editor page of the paper and people say to those who complain about the cost of living rising here, “Well, it’s cheaper than your home country or you wouldn’t be here.” The only thing cheaper here is labor. Yes, you can have a maid – but a bag of washed lettuce will cost you almost $10.

8. There are traffic cameras everywhere. I consider this cheating. Where are the damn cops? I drove around this city for weeks before I ever even saw a cop. Trust me, they need traffic cops here. People drive like idiots. It’s perfectly okay to turn left from the far right lane, but speeding even just a couple of kilometers over will get you fined. These cameras are placed strategically as you come down hills, or just as the speed limit changes. Before you know it…BAM! Fined. Forget to pay the bill and your car will be impounded.

9. The clothing some of these women wear makes no sense to me. I understand that as part of your religion you are required to dress in a particular way, but a black robe over your jeans and turtleneck and cover your head when it is 120 degrees outside? In the gym some women wear five layers of clothing…sweatpants and t-shits over sweaters with headscarves. Yet the men’s clothing makes absolute sense: white, airy, and nothing underneath but their skivvies.

10. People stare at you. I am sick of being stared at. I’m stared at by men who have never seen a fair-skinned blue-eyed woman before, or who have and think we are all prostitutes so it’s okay to stare. They stare at me when I am fully covered or with my husband, and even follow me around. It’s beyond creepy and has brought me to tears on more than one occasion. The staring is not limited to men, either. I’m stared at angrily by female prostitutes who think I am running in on their territory by having a few drinks with my husband at the bar.

11. Prostitutes? Oh hell yes, there are prostitutes. Tons of them. So, let me get this straight, I can’t look at a Unclad picture of a person on the Internet in the privacy of my home, but it is okay to go out in public and buy a few for the night?

12. Alcohol can only be sold in hotels and a handful of private clubs. A person must own a liquor license to consume in the privacy of their own home. To obtain a liquor license you must get signed approval from your boss, prove a certain level of salary that determines how much you are allowed to buy, and then submit several mug shots (aka passport photos) for approval. Pay the fee and the additional 30% tax on every purchase and you may drink at home. Then again, you can just pick up a few bottles in the airport duty free on your way in to the country, but two is the max. Why not just drive out to Ajman where it’s a free-for-all and load up the SUV? It’s easy enough, but crossing the Emirates with alcohol is illegal – particularly in the dry emirate of Sharjah, which just happens to lie between Dubai and Ajman. Go figure.

13. Not only do you have to get your boss’s approval to obtain a liquor license, but you must also get the company’s approval to rent property, have a telephone, or get satellite TV.

14. Back to the craziness on the roads: If I see one more kid standing up and waving to me out the back window while flying down the road at 160 kph…whatever happened to seatbelts?

15. When is the weekend again? Let me get this straight: the weekend used to be Thursday and Friday, but no one took off all of Thursday, just a half day really. Now the government says Friday and Saturday are the weekend, but some people only take off Friday, others still take a half day on Thursday, but some might just take a half day on Saturday instead. Anyway you slice it, Sundays are workdays and little business can be accomplished Thursday through Saturday.

16. There are few satellite television operators:. The movie channels play movies that are old and outdated. Many of them went straight to video back in the States. Every sitcom that failed in the US has been purchased and is played here. Old episodes of Knight Rider are advertised like it is the coolest thing since sliced bread. The TV commercials are repeated so often that I am determined NOT to buy anything I see advertised on television here just for the principle of it. When I say repeated often, I mean every commercial break – sometimes more than once.

17. The roads are horribly designed. Driving ten minutes out of the way to make a U-turn is not uncommon. People are not able to give directions most of the time (remember reason #1), and the maps are little help because most have few road names on them, if any. Where is interchange four? You just have to hope you got on the freeway in the right place and start counting because they are not numbered. Miss it and you’ll likely end up on the other side of town before you are able to turn around and go back.

18. Taxi drivers are dangerous and smell. Taxi drivers work very hard here to earn a living because travel by taxi is still relatively inexpensive, even though the cost of living is not (see reason #7). Because of this you may have a driver who has had little sleep or the opportunity to shower for several days. Many of these drivers have just as much difficulty finding their way around as you do, but add to this a third-world country driving style and extreme exhaustion and, well, remember to buckle up for safety.

19. Speeding is an Emirati sport and Emirates Road is just an extension of the Dubai Autodrome. I know I keep mentioning the roads, but really, much of this city’s issues are encompassed by the erratic and irrational behavior displayed on its streets. Visions of flashing lights on even flashier, limo-tinted SUVs haunt me as I merge on to the highway. Local nationals are somehow able to get the sun-protecting dark window tint denied to us lowly expats and use it to hide their faces as they tailgate you incessantly at unbelievably high speeds, their lights flickering on and off and horn blaring repeatedly. It doesn’t matter that you can’t get over, or if doing so would be particularly dangerous, they will run you off the road to get in front of you. Don’t even think about giving someone the finger; the offense could land you in jail. Tailgating is, unbelievably, legal.

20. Dubai is far from environmentally friendly. Ever wonder how much damage those man made islands are doing to the delicate ocean ecosystem? Coral reefs, sea grasses, and oyster beds that were once part of protected marine lands lie choked under a barrage of dredged up sea sand. Consider the waste that occurs from erecting buildings on top of these sand monsters and from the people that occupy them coupled with the lack of an effective recycling program and you have an environmental disaster on your hands. Add to this more gas guzzling SUVs than fuel-efficient cars on the road and the need for 24-hour powerful air-conditioning and its evident that the environment is not high on the priority list of the UAE.
So while I’m sure there are benefits to living in Dubai, tax breaks, multi-cultural environments, and beautiful buildings aside, reconsider your plans to move here if any of the above mentioned reasons strikes a chord within you. Dubai is a city caught in an identity crisis. Struggling somewhere between its desire to be a playground for the rich and its adherence to traditional Islamic roots, rests a city that lacks sufficient infrastructure to support its delusions of grandeur. Visit if you must, but leave quickly before you are sucked into its calamitous void".

Source: http://www.escapeartist.com/live/2014/03/18/20-reasons-not-to-move-to-dubai/

This jobless one even has time to compile rubbish stories about Dubai people. Slandering and smearing their name will not give you a job or put money in your empty bank account!
Shebi you done abuse then finish abi? Has that brought light to your own house or has it improved the death traps you call roads in your village.
Even in Nigeia, A child born and raised in a rich/wealthy family will not hate like you. This is a typical attitude of a "face me I slap you" brought up.

Instead of hating your neighbor just because he bought a car, why don't you work hard to buy yours.

6 Likes

Re: Things You Only See In Dubai by Nobody: 3:13pm On Aug 23, 2014
numericalguy:

See as this one is foaming at the mouth because some Arabs are enjoying themselves, yet, they don't even know he exists.
Your hate and bitterness will just give you hypertension o!

I'll advice all my Nigerian brothers to stop hating and envying these Dubai people, rather we should all try to look inward and see how we can develop our own country. Is it not the same oil that they have that we have? how come we have not been able to develop our own country as well.
Nigeria would have been a better place without our Arab friends and followers in the north who ruled this nation for decades and impoverished Nigerians and also made public fund looting a normal thing in Nigeria.

And now they saw a God sent man who wants to mend bit by bit the things they destroyed over decades, they are now tarnishing his good image by forming religious extremist with Arab nations sponsorships and backings.

Lol...I know they aren't reading this, but I want my people to stop looking up to them as mentors cos Arabs are not people to be followed. That's my point. If Niger Delta alone was a country, it would have been more beautiful than Dubai. But with northern Abokis marrying ten wives and popping out babies like pig and causing over population in Nigeria, u shouldn't expect Nigeria to be as beautiful as Dubai.

Stop following or hailing Arabs and their barbaric religion, that's my beef!
Re: Things You Only See In Dubai by numericalguy(m): 3:15pm On Aug 23, 2014
DailyNews: Lol...this cracked me upgringrin My problem with them is they should stop sponsoring terrorists!!! They should stop deceiving gullible-minded africans with their barbaric religion!!! That's my beef with them!! If not for some reasons, nothing would take me to an Arab country, never! They are racists, wicked, inhumane and corrupt!!!

Guy cool down, don't burst a vein.. Besides, I haven't seen any Arab on his knees begging you to come to Dubai.
The Americans and Chinese don't hate Dubai, rather they have gone there to establish businesses there and are just milking them grin.

Why can't we blacks do the same.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Nigerians Deported From UK, Arrive Lagos, To Complete Their Jail In Kirikiri / 20 States US Warned Citizens Against Traveling To In Nigeria / Exclusive Photos Of The 2nd Niger Bridge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.