Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,747 members, 7,824,153 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:54 AM

How A Six Letter Word Interrupted And Messed Up My Job Interview. - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How A Six Letter Word Interrupted And Messed Up My Job Interview. (5031 Views)

How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! / My Job Interview Experience Today / How I Messed Up An Interview. True Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How A Six Letter Word Interrupted And Messed Up My Job Interview. by chocolateme(f): 4:43pm On Aug 23, 2014
OKOCHI: Just like one popular Nollywood movie actor named Chiwetalu Agu always uses one funny word or the other in his movie roles, nyanya mpu, mmiri ezooo, ibiku nteje, what an idiosyncracy, uwa na acho ikpu ka ana acho ikpu ozo!! and the rest of them, that is how I became accustomed to using the above word "OKOChI" it means (dry season) don't and can't really know how I started over using the word after staying longer with my friend who constantly uses the word. I lost an opportunity of getting a good job or not .It may sound like a joke but i'm very serious, i got an invitation for an interview in one production company, on the D day I dressed smartly and left for the interview. After all the time wasting and written test, the time came for oral interview.
We were all called in one after the other until it got to my turn, I stepped into the office with confidence though I could hear my own heartbeat that instant. I was ushered to sit down and then :
The boss (handsome middle-aged man though but has a stern looking face) : How are you today?
Me: (smiling Broadly) : i'm very well tnx sir
The boss (going through my CV on his table) : As a public media officer if you are made one, tell me how you can be able to independently and effectively convince a big targeted shot into investing in our company.
Me: tnx sir.. I can do that effectively and successfully if the company can aid me by providing enough documentation of their previous successful engagements with evidences and proof so as to facilitate my presentation and been able to communicate and bring him in as a customer. Tnx.
After few other questions, he proceeded to ask me a question that prompted me into creating this thread:
The boss: Are you a VIRGIN?
Me: OKOCHI!!!!!! (with a shock and unexpected expression on my face)
The boss: pardon
Me: Nothing sir, just an expression sir.
The boss: what is the meaning of what you just exclaimed?
Me: Nothing sir, just a slip of the tongue sir.
The boss: Alright then, we are through, you can go, we shall contact you soon.
Me: thanks sir
The boss: you are welcome.
I waited and expected but they never called me, even the lady among the recruitment team I collected her number told me over the phone that I had 92% on the written test and that I hv an opportunity of been called. But I was never called. I feel its the stupid six letter word "Okochi" that contributed to it.
Don't adopt such attitudes to yourselves as it may change some perceptions about u as a human. Are you also addictive to it? What normally comes out of your mouth at every little reaction? Mine is Okochi!!!!! What's yours?

6 Likes

Re: How A Six Letter Word Interrupted And Messed Up My Job Interview. by hakunajay(m): 4:48pm On Aug 23, 2014
Lol... But what has being a virgin got to do with the job? You should have asked him if he is a virgin too... Nonsense!

12 Likes

Re: How A Six Letter Word Interrupted And Messed Up My Job Interview. by chocolateme(f): 4:54pm On Aug 23, 2014
hakunajay: Lol... But what has being a virgin got to do with the job? You should have asked him if he is a virgin too... Nonsense!
no be small thing oo my brother, the same thing my brother asked me, my siblings laugh tire that day. Okochi! Maybe he is a monk.

1 Like

Re: How A Six Letter Word Interrupted And Messed Up My Job Interview. by ednut1(m): 5:15pm On Aug 23, 2014
are u a virgin. this job wud have required u to fuk pple to come invest in d comp. smh
Re: How A Six Letter Word Interrupted And Messed Up My Job Interview. by Ramon92: 5:24pm On Aug 23, 2014
The word 'FUCCK' almost got me in trouble during my seminar presentation in school, when a question was asked. It just came out of my mouth cos I deliberately didn't read the part thinking they weren't gonna ask that part...

2 Likes

Re: How A Six Letter Word Interrupted And Messed Up My Job Interview. by Nobody: 5:25pm On Aug 23, 2014
chocolateme: no be small thing oo my brother, the same thing my brother asked me, my siblings laugh tire that day. Okochi! Maybe he is a monk.

If what you said is true, then you did just fine. It would have been more appropriate if you had said ''otuocha'' or something.

1 Like

Re: How A Six Letter Word Interrupted And Messed Up My Job Interview. by chyna4luv: 6:22pm On Aug 23, 2014
Op, To be frank with you, you didn't take the interview serious because if you do, you would have been VERY CAREFUL of the words that comes out of your mouth during the scene. Thank GOD you learnt alot from your mistakes.

Also, the interviewer asked if you were a virgin? It means he/she is trying to know how you can control your anger when you are faced with clients who provokes or tests people's patience. Remember, the interviewer said as a "PUBLIC MEDIA OFFICER" meaning that everyday your job is to meet different personalities with different characters. For you to behave that way during the interview shows your interviewer that, if that question was asked by their clients you may take it personal.
Before I got the job I am doing now, I was asked in an interview if I have stolen before? Also, I was asked the meaning of my Family name?

So, asking you if you were a virgin wasn't wrong in respect of the job role you were interviewed on. If I were you, I would smile with eye contact and say NO.

#GodBless

13 Likes

Re: How A Six Letter Word Interrupted And Messed Up My Job Interview. by zolajpower: 6:39pm On Aug 23, 2014
Racketeer:

If what you said is true, then you did just fine. It would have been more appropriate if you had said ''otuocha'' or something.
grin
Racketeer:

lol

2 Likes

Re: How A Six Letter Word Interrupted And Messed Up My Job Interview. by KillerBeauty(f): 6:46pm On Aug 23, 2014
chyna4luv: Op, To be frank with you, you didn't take the interview serious because if you do, you would have been VERY CAREFUL of the words that comes out of your mouth during the scene. Thank GOD you learnt alot from your mistakes.

Also, the interviewer asked if you were a virgin? It means he/she is trying to know how you can control your anger when you are faced with clients who provokes or tests people's patience. Remember, the interviewer said as a "PUBLIC MEDIA OFFICER" meaning that everyday your job is to meet different personalities with different characters. For you to behave that way during the interview shows your interviewer that, if that question was asked by their clients you may take it personal.
Before I got the job I am doing now, I was asked in an interview if I have stolen before? Also, I was asked the meaning of my Family name?

So, asking you if you were a virgin wasn't wrong in respect of the job role you were interviewed on. If I were you, I would smile with eye contact and say NO.

#GodBless

Very true. I believe this is the reason interviewers ask interviewese weird/strange questions. They just want to see your reaction, especially if u ar goin for a job that require a lot of inter- personal interactions. They know u will likely meet different kind of people during the course of the job: the good, the bad and the ugly. So they want to have a glimpse of how you will handle them.

1 Like

Re: How A Six Letter Word Interrupted And Messed Up My Job Interview. by Nobody: 6:57pm On Aug 23, 2014
an interview between chocolateme and the boss

...boss: are u a virgin ?

40 seconds silence

chocolateme: n...yes
boss: y are u a virgin ?
chocolateme: i dont know sir
boss: is ur virginity due to lack of opportunity or are u forming holy or are u a eunuch ?
chocolateme: sir pls i dont understand these ur questions oh
boss: u know my daughter also works here so i want to know what ur reaction will be if u are alone with her inside a bedroom.
chocolateme: OKOCHI !!!

The rest is history...

13 Likes

Re: How A Six Letter Word Interrupted And Messed Up My Job Interview. by mancheeutd(m): 7:19pm On Aug 23, 2014
mine is aye lata o literary it means this world is pepperish...often used when in a difficult situation or exam.
Re: How A Six Letter Word Interrupted And Messed Up My Job Interview. by zolajpower: 7:40pm On Aug 23, 2014
mancheeutd: mine is aye lata o literary it means this world is pepperish...often used when in a difficult situation or exam.
Ore aye lata lo tan,i was also at interview and d intervir askd me if "i smoke and drink" i said no. He askd me if i like woman i said yes. Imagin tht,does he expt me2 say no. Whn my mum&sistrs are female u dnt expt me 2 hate thm. Tht was wht end my chnc. Till date am yet to get a call. grin
mancheeutd: mine is aye lata o literary it means this world is pepperish...often used when in a difficult situation or exam.
Ore aye lata lo tan,i was also at interview and d intervir askd me if "i smoke and drink" i said no. He askd me if i like woman i said yes. Imagin tht,does he expt me2 say no. Whn my mum&sistrs are female u dnt expt me 2 hate thm. Tht was wht end my chnc. Till date am yet to get a call.

2 Likes

Re: How A Six Letter Word Interrupted And Messed Up My Job Interview. by Nobody: 7:42pm On Aug 23, 2014
grin haha, OMENAJARIJA!

1 Like

Re: How A Six Letter Word Interrupted And Messed Up My Job Interview. by zolajpower: 7:48pm On Aug 23, 2014
When u expt d mod 2 move a thread like dis to fp,they wount shw up. Fp i beg

1 Like

Re: How A Six Letter Word Interrupted And Messed Up My Job Interview. by fr3do(m): 7:57pm On Aug 23, 2014
When u were asked the meaning, you should have let it out.
Like 'sir, its an exclamation indicating surprise, it literarily means dry season, its idiosyncratic, don't be offended'

E don pass e don pass.
But for the record.

2 Likes

Re: How A Six Letter Word Interrupted And Messed Up My Job Interview. by chocolateme(f): 8:51pm On Aug 23, 2014
francleanflexy: an interview between chocolateme and the boss

...boss: are u a virgin ?

40 seconds silence

chocolateme: n...yes
boss: y are u a virgin ?
chocolateme: i dont know sir
boss: is ur virginity due to lack of opportunity or are u forming holy or are u a eunuch ?
chocolateme: sir pls i dont understand these ur questions oh
boss: u know my daughter also works here so i want to know what ur reaction will be if u are alone with her inside a bedroom.
chocolateme: OKOCHI !!!

The rest is history...
LWKMD... Hahahahaha I will strangle u with one hand if I catch u. Some people eh!! Lol.

1 Like

Re: How A Six Letter Word Interrupted And Messed Up My Job Interview. by wonda26(m): 9:44pm On Aug 23, 2014
Haha.... Very funny. This same word was once my exclamation word too cheesy

And I have used several others too. I have even influenced people around me to use my exclamation words too grin grin

Sorry for your interview. I don learn lesson from you grin

But really, does it feel so uneasy to answer a virginity question? Its either yes or no na... I doubt that would be a big deal for me oooo. My answer would have simply been: 'Sir, I have had sex before however, that's not where my interests lie at the moment' wink

3 Likes

Re: How A Six Letter Word Interrupted And Messed Up My Job Interview. by iamskiigii(m): 10:03pm On Aug 23, 2014
Hmmmmm! Issokay! Choi! Damn! F.uck! Do I have any?
Re: How A Six Letter Word Interrupted And Messed Up My Job Interview. by agabaI23(m): 10:07pm On Aug 23, 2014
OP,
You did nothing wrong.
If they didn't call you, it is not because of Okochi.

Like someone said, may be they like women who can snare men with whatever it takes including sleeping with them.

You are smart and will get a good job.

Okochi smiley grin (on a lighter note)

1 Like

Re: How A Six Letter Word Interrupted And Messed Up My Job Interview. by priscaoge(f): 10:13pm On Aug 23, 2014
Op U should have shouted "OTUOCHA" shocked shocked shocked IF he ask u d meaning u interpret am give am undecided as "WHITE DOWNCLUTCH" grin. After all it's related to the question undecided undecided

*JUST kidding* grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: How A Six Letter Word Interrupted And Messed Up My Job Interview. by priscaoge(f): 10:14pm On Aug 23, 2014
The job destined for u by God will surely locate u with mouth watering salary. Just hang on n be focused.

4 Likes

Re: How A Six Letter Word Interrupted And Messed Up My Job Interview. by agabaI23(m): 10:21pm On Aug 23, 2014
priscaoge: Op U should have shouted "OTUOCHA" shocked shocked shocked IF he ask u d meaning u interpret am give am undecided as "WHITE DOWNCLUTCH" grin. After all it's related to the question undecided undecided

*JUST kidding* grin grin grin
Ifugo grin

1 Like

Re: How A Six Letter Word Interrupted And Messed Up My Job Interview. by priscaoge(f): 10:23pm On Aug 23, 2014
agabaI23: Ifugo grin
Chotam tongue

1 Like

Re: How A Six Letter Word Interrupted And Messed Up My Job Interview. by popson1st: 10:25pm On Aug 23, 2014
All these interviewers sha.. We just dey do like say Nigeria na better country. Mtchewww.
Re: How A Six Letter Word Interrupted And Messed Up My Job Interview. by Nobody: 10:29pm On Aug 23, 2014
Yours is even good. I know it's not a joke.
Because something like that happened to a friend of mine, hers was worse bc she said 'otuocha'...

E remain make dey fling her out of the gate...lol
Re: How A Six Letter Word Interrupted And Messed Up My Job Interview. by Phame: 11:35pm On Aug 23, 2014
Ramon92: The word 'FUCCK' almost got me in trouble during my seminar presentation in school, when a question was asked. It just came out of my mouth cos I deliberately didn't read the part thinking they weren't gonna ask that part...
ar u adejo?
Re: How A Six Letter Word Interrupted And Messed Up My Job Interview. by Phame: 11:40pm On Aug 23, 2014
Kachisbarbie: Yours is even good. I know it's not a joke.
Because something like that happened to a friend of mine, hers was worse bc she said 'otuocha' ...

E remain make dey fling her out of the gate...lol
grin grin grin Gadamit! What is dat?
Re: How A Six Letter Word Interrupted And Messed Up My Job Interview. by Phame: 11:44pm On Aug 23, 2014
This is what u get from watching too much of nollywood movies.

3 Likes

Re: How A Six Letter Word Interrupted And Messed Up My Job Interview. by agabaI23(m): 11:56pm On Aug 23, 2014
priscaoge:
Chotam tongue
Mbakwa, m chota gi n'ulo, ndi oyi juru ebe a ga-agba m egbe.

I siri m chota gi? Ngwa gwa m ebe m ga-achota gi tongue tongue tongue tongue cool
Re: How A Six Letter Word Interrupted And Messed Up My Job Interview. by Nobody: 12:32am On Aug 24, 2014
Lol
Re: How A Six Letter Word Interrupted And Messed Up My Job Interview. by Mrval20(m): 12:56am On Aug 24, 2014
I'm glad you've learnt your lessons. For the ladies, using these exclamations, even in non formal situations, is not classy at all and can be a big turn off.. Once met a very pretty and brilliant lady and during our conversation, all I could hear from her mouth was "O ya", "ihulanu gi", "o kwala gi" and the popular "otuocha". That conversation was our last.
Come to the S/East and you'll hear well educated and elderly people using these exclamations too. SMH

(1) (2) (Reply)

NDDC Calling For Interview / Netcom Africa Graduate Recruitment 2015 / Sterling Bank Sales Role Interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.