Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,575 members, 7,816,417 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:53 AM

Nigeria Gives Up Hosting Of Under- 17 World Cup - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Gives Up Hosting Of Under- 17 World Cup (7066 Views)

Poll: This is:

Responsible: 50% (28 votes)
Outrageous: 50% (28 votes)
This poll has ended

Nigeria Vs Australia: FIFA U-17 World Cup: (6 - 0) On 29th October 2015 / Fifa U-17 World Cup: Nigeria With Chile, Croatia, Usa In Group A / Mexico V Nigeria: FIFA U-17 World Cup (1 - 6) on 19 Oct 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Gives Up Hosting Of Under- 17 World Cup by goodass(m): 11:56am On Oct 29, 2008
d pot-bellied ole's wil smile 2d banks again. ds tym am sure they'll share ownershp of d stadia at d end of d tourney; at least dat 1 go pass Nwobodo wey stole d gen bak in 99.
Re: Nigeria Gives Up Hosting Of Under- 17 World Cup by chidichris(m): 3:33pm On Oct 29, 2008
wow! wonderful people, wonderful reasoning and perfect opinions.
at least we are enjoying the benefits of a learned president for the first time.
yar adua at least is thinking of more important issues before getting involved.
my suggestion here is that nigeria shld stop funding the ticket fairs of footballers because we have more pressing problems than that.
on the other hand, what will happen if nigeria decides not top attend south africa 2010 at least to have time and resources to fund more important issues. if nigeria is attending that world cup in south africa, it means we are going there to laugh at them for spending such huge amount in hosting the world cup.
the truth of the matter is that, aboki is aboki, take him to america, the only thing that will change is that he will become american aboki.
if our honourable and dishonourable senators contribute all the money they spend on their girlfriends for onle a weekend, the hosting will be proparely funded.
at worst, let us tell dangote to host the tournament and take 20 oil-wells and he will do that with ease because of his madness for oil-wells.
if efcc decides to sponsor th tournament themselves, all they need to do is to arrest that professor that handled the 1999 selections for obj and he will just give them that as a part settlement outside the court.
a very big shame to pdp, obj, yar adua, etc as i call upon benin republic to come and colonize nigeria with immediate effects.
Re: Nigeria Gives Up Hosting Of Under- 17 World Cup by Emperoh(m): 3:36pm On Oct 29, 2008
well the FG has rescinded in his decision
It has also slashed the budget to N9Bn for the event.

If you ask me, its ok but then. . . . .
Re: Nigeria Gives Up Hosting Of Under- 17 World Cup by mustafar1: 3:41pm On Oct 29, 2008
just when i thot this govt tried to grow some gut, they do a one step forward 10 steps back move. anybody wey chop money from this tourney, make the money run him belle and bank account!
Re: Nigeria Gives Up Hosting Of Under- 17 World Cup by coolguyz(m): 3:52pm On Oct 29, 2008
so by now u guys dnt knw we run a very inconsistent govt wt ''reversal of policy'' and ''policy summersault'' as one of its legacies, !!!!

i knew we'l end up hosting d tournament, its nt d 1st tym.
Re: Nigeria Gives Up Hosting Of Under- 17 World Cup by LitenCee(m): 5:20pm On Oct 29, 2008
[b]We hosted this type of tournament before in 1995 or 1999 and what was the outcome?  Nothing to show for it. It made politicians richer. Owambe mentality. We made so much money in 1977and hosted FESTAC instead of articulating on how to  use the money to move Nigeria forward. We hosted COJA 1999 ,senior civil servants and politicians benefited by under buying  government assets that were used for the tournament  . eg  Buying BMWs through Coscharis.
Foreign investors are not looking at our ability to host a carefully choreographed event, but are looking at our ability to provide basic services like electricity, security, law and order. Global investors look at financial data from IMF, World Bank, Fitch,Moody, S&P, AugustCo ratings not from FIFA rankings. Doesn’t Nigeria have   a better FIFA raking than India?
Could someone in this forum tell me any sporting event that's been hosted by India or Vietnam, yet they continue to attract  lots of foreign direct investment. If you are talking about oil, why are countries like Algeria, Libya, UAE, Venezuela not hosting? Also there are some countries in Africa with higher GDP than Nigeria like Egypt, Botswana, Gabon, and Mauritius that can comfortably pick up the tab. Remember Trinidad and Tobago hosted this tournament before.    I stand to be corrected, has any country ever developed by hosting any big sporting jamboree? NOPE
[/b]

Thank you my brother, please tell them addicts !!. let them know that none of the G8 countries are where they are today because of sports or football in particular. Is it not time we begin to tell ourselves the basic truth and stop sweeping serious issues under the carpet. lets stop hiding under the toga of 'sporting prowess' to celebrate our mediocrity. These countries mentioned above have better stadia and sporting infrastructure than Nigeria yet they are not clamouring to host any thing. They are focused in their national development efforts, but here people who are soaking garri 3 times a day are not thinking of how to better their lives , their problem is football- opium of Nigerians. one thing you guys have to note is that the effect never last forever, after the 'high' you still come down to reality , and thats how its been in Nigeria, otherwise all the sporting tourneys the country has been involved in the past would have quenched the fire of religious and tribal conflicts and killings. it would have stopped marginalisation and nepotism that is crippling the country. Football madness + looting +squandermania=national doom

quote from princekevo
Abeg lets us hear with all those flirmsy excuses.Can Government set aside this  $30million  and tell us after 2009 exactly a tangible infrastructure this money were used for?We are talking about infrastural problem as if they resulted from diververting jst this fund to sports.The simple truth remains that even if this money is not being released for the hosting Nigeria remains thesame.
After everything thesame people would come hereand start crying how we could restore Nigerian image to the outside world. How can that be possible when the government itself can not keep to their words.You guys have never thought of the consequence of this to Nigerian image and wht this bad records will are creating would deny us in future.

If the money diverted for sports is sitting duck for looting, and money voted for development is also sitting duck for looting then the equation of looting is balanced.  so what you are saying is that we should continue to wallow in the mire of looting and backwardness indefinitely ? ,it means you are in support of looting. you see why i say that nigerians are not ready for change. what we are now saying is  why should we give politicians all the opportunity they need to loot. let us cut the frivolous excuses for looting and there will fewer opportunity to loot. so when you say you are commiting a certain amount for development of infrastructure we will ask for them when you finish. i still maintain that if the football addicts in this country contribute $10 each the tourney could still be hosted as they wish.
Re: Nigeria Gives Up Hosting Of Under- 17 World Cup by zoraro(m): 12:43am On Oct 30, 2008
Those people that think that there is nothing to gain from hosting sporting events don't know the kind of struggling, bribing, blackmailing e.t.c. that go on when such events hosting are up for bidding. Why do you think USA have hosted the Olympic games three times and are willing to host the next available one if given the chance. China was ready to go to war if the last Olympic game hosting right was taken from them. When UEFA Cup or UEFA Champions League final match hosting is up for grabs you won't believe the kind of tussles that take place.

This Countries know something that some of us are too ignorant to see.
Re: Nigeria Gives Up Hosting Of Under- 17 World Cup by mustafar1: 3:11pm On Oct 30, 2008
zoraro:

Those people that think that there is nothing to gain from hosting sporting events don't know the kind of struggling, bribing, blackmailing e.t.c. that go on when such events hosting are up for bidding. Why do you think USA have hosted the Olympic games three times and are willing to host the next available one if given the chance. China was ready to go to war if the last Olympic game hosting right was taken from them. When UEFA Cup or UEFA Champions League final match hosting is up for grabs you won't believe the kind of tussles that take place.

This Countries know something that some of us are too ignorant to see.

and your point is what exactly?,
Re: Nigeria Gives Up Hosting Of Under- 17 World Cup by zoraro(m): 11:50pm On Oct 30, 2008
The government have made a U-Turn about the hosting, I think they got my point or some one close to them said this same things to them.
Re: Nigeria Gives Up Hosting Of Under- 17 World Cup by honeric01(m): 2:38pm On Oct 31, 2008
I don't blame all these fools insulting my country not trying to back out of host the u-17 because of the inflicted cost sent by LOC, tell me, how much do you get from fifa after hosting with such amount? the stupid Iya Hayatou saying he was going to be disappointed if we don't host the u-17, how many tournaments has Cameroun ever hosted?? screw that man with his silly mouth, if he wants us to host ( already hosting it without his $1 in it), then let him go to central bank of Cameroon to rake out $34 million, ye ye people all together, hosting or no hosting, we still have our place in Africa and this would have not taken anything away from us being who we are,
SHIT,
Re: Nigeria Gives Up Hosting Of Under- 17 World Cup by Andy1985ng(m): 11:40pm On Oct 31, 2008
The =N= 9 Billion he released will be enough, the private sector has to come in.
Re: Nigeria Gives Up Hosting Of Under- 17 World Cup by chidichris(m): 10:22am On Nov 01, 2008
nigeria is such an impossible place called country.
how on earth can a few individuals add N28 billion naira as their personal gain in hosting a tournament?
from N9 billion to N37billion.
it is a shame.
the three armmed bandits qhld be made to pay the prize for exposing nigeria and nigerians to such a disappointing decissions and reverse.
Re: Nigeria Gives Up Hosting Of Under- 17 World Cup by bravado: 11:27pm On Nov 02, 2008
At First Why Nigeria Go want host wettin them no fit carry,no road no light no food, abeg we no want joh,make dem take the money go pay dept joh cry
Re: Nigeria Gives Up Hosting Of Under- 17 World Cup by whiteroses(f): 5:43pm On Nov 04, 2008
this thread is ignorance, nigeria is still hosting it, admin delete this thread
Re: Nigeria Gives Up Hosting Of Under- 17 World Cup by dmenax: 7:27pm On Nov 04, 2008
Well, lots of post here.

All i will say is whatever you do, there are costs and benefits.

As long as the costs are more than the benefits, it's not a viable project.

In this case, it is very obvious.

Don't ask me the obvious.

Just think logically and not emotionally.
Re: Nigeria Gives Up Hosting Of Under- 17 World Cup by chiwaochi: 9:50am On Nov 11, 2008
If the President has decide that Nigeria should pull out from hosting the under 17 world cup so be it , because he is a very reasonable man you want him to throw a huge some of amount like that to those hungry NFA board after sharing the money they will now use the pieces remaining to fund the project and it will be a flop and we have our nations name to protect it is better these way and use the money for the abolition of poverty.
Re: Nigeria Gives Up Hosting Of Under- 17 World Cup by princesa(f): 1:19pm On Nov 14, 2008
thats what to expect from Nigeria . . . . . , . . . outrageous angry
Re: Nigeria Gives Up Hosting Of Under- 17 World Cup by breaka: 4:05pm On Nov 29, 2008
We can't fully blame yaradua for this mess, we should also look at the World Financial Reccession, crude oil prices has dropped almost 50% which is a major source of income for the country, you ever wondered why fashola wants a day baby to pay tax?.
Re: Nigeria Gives Up Hosting Of Under- 17 World Cup by princesa(f): 3:22pm On Dec 01, 2008
they just werent fit and capable to take care of the competition
thats all undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

John Cena Dead? No He Is In Comma! / NFF Denies Plan To Ban Falcons / Shehu Dikko, Inyama Sign Amodu's Condolence Register

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.