Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,606 members, 7,955,234 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 08:08 PM

Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? (14209 Views)

Guy Accidentally Pays N1.2Million For A Plate Of Amala And Soup / How Can I Prepare Amala? / Amala And Gbegiri Lovers` Forum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by tpia: 4:47am On Oct 29, 2008
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by AloyEmeka9: 5:43am On Oct 29, 2008
The fact that people would avoid food because of color says alot. Amala is black so something must be wrong. Lol I knew Nigerians were obsessed with "lightskinned" things but I didnt know it went as far as food

and people not liking amala because of ewudu? Is there a law stating that a person must eat it with ewudu? I don't.

don't know how people can run from amala yet like that vomit know as egusi soup.

You are quite mistaken here. Amala is a traditional yoruba food and any non yoruba that was not raised in the amala eating family will be skeptical about embracing it. What is the big deal here? Are there not Igbo, Ibibio,hausa foods that you cannot venture eating?. Colour has a psychological effect on food and if you are not comfortable with the colour, your appetite will be jeopardized. I see people drinking blue or violet coloured pop which i find repulsive just because of the colour. Thank you on the vivid picture you painted about egusi, you've succeeded in killing my appetite.
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by AloyEmeka9: 5:48am On Oct 29, 2008
I didnt even know okro and ewedu are supposed to be "Yoruba" foods. Because I could have sworn I know a lot of non-Yorubas who eat these things.
I sid yoruba okro which is different from igbo and calabar okro soups.

As per the color of amala: I don't understand that either. The blacker the berry the sweeter the juice, as they say. I eat wheat bread all the time and I'm told its healthier than white bread. Even the darkest one called Rye bread which can be almost black- I still eat that occasionally too.
Enjoy your juice.

Come to think of it, I can't help but wonder if amala is the missing link between the consumption of yams and the high incidence of twins in western Nigeria. No be only Yoruba dey eat yam- why do they have more twins compared to other parts of Nigeria? Just wondering.
You are not only a tribalist but an uneducated mugu. You better delete the statement above because it makes no scientific sense. How did you come with the statistical data on number of twins among different ethnic groups in Nigeria?. Who gave you visa to whereever you live because you sound like a frustrated bush yoruba woman?. Just get any biology textbook and educate yourself instead of exposing your ignorance here.
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by Gamine(f): 10:06am On Oct 29, 2008
yay!! grin grin grin

Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by spikedcylinder: 1:03pm On Oct 29, 2008
Trust this to turn into a tribal slugger. undecided
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by KarmaMod(f): 2:27pm On Oct 29, 2008
You are quite mistaken here. Amala is a traditional yoruba food and any non yoruba  that was not raised in the amala eating family will be skeptical about embracing it. What is the big deal here? Are there not Igbo, Ibibio,hausa foods that you cannot venture eating?.  Colour has a psychological effect on food and if you are not comfortable with the colour, your appetite will be jeopardized. I see people drinking blue or violet coloured pop which i find repulsive just because of the colour. Thank you on the vivid picture you painted about egusi, you've succeeded in killing my appetite.

My comment was about the fact that people have a problem with the color and i think it's funny that some even said they'd rather eat it with ewudu which is DARKER than amala sef.

Re last sentence:

As opposed to the nonsense you said about bird droppings? You've very welcome.  cool
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by KarmaMod(f): 2:33pm On Oct 29, 2008
You are not only a tribalist but an uneducated mugu.

You know just because you have a ridiculous hatred for tpia, doesnt mean you should embarass yourself in the process. It's a known FACT that Yorubas have the highest incidence of twins of the Nigerian tribes and many researchers BELIEVE it has to do with the high % of yam consumption in Yoruba land

It wasnt a "tribalistic" comment but a question. Alaifishe

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by AmakaOne(f): 4:01pm On Oct 29, 2008
"Nigeria holds the World Record in Multiple Births: http://www.scienceinafrica.co.za/twins.htm

http://www.twinsworld.com/stats.html

"In fact, if access to state-of-the-art medicine were a deciding factor, then why does the Yoruba tribe of Nigeria have the highest twinning incidence in the entire world? These Nigerian people attribute it to their population's consumption of a specific type of yam. Yams? That's right, scientists have discovered that these colorful vegetables that are grown only in Africa contain a high level of a substance that is similar to the hormone estrogen -- which could bring on multiple ovulation.": http://www.pregnancy-place.com/WHY_ARE_TWI, YROCKETING.html

and someone trying to cash in on it on Amazon.com:
2 TUBERS OF AFRICAN YAMS--FERTILITY ENHANCER!!!
"This auction is for african yam,not to be mistaken for America sweet potatoes.Yams consist of lot antioxidants such as beta carotene,which prevents heart disease,Cancer,strokes and cataracts. Yams have also been found to promote fertility in women.In a study on Yoruba women of Nigeria west africa,it was suggested that their high rate of giving birth to twins(which is among the highest in the world) could be linked to their high consumption of the African yam. If you are buying this yam for fertility purposes ,please also buy the book ,The infertility Diet by Fern Reiss.You will find the Menus and the quantity to consume from the book.A lot of our customer swear by this book.According to this book Yam acts like the drug Clomid often prescribed for women who are not ovulating.Yams can help stimulate the ovaries to release egg. The yams weigh between 3-5 pounds and we ship it Priority mail so that you get it within 2-3 days (within USA)of your payment.Yams are not only for people who wants o conceive,it is a delicous food that can be prepared in many different ways.Thank you"
http://s1.amazon.com/exec/varzea/ts/exchan, 2800068-7819463

Aloy.Emeka:

You are not only a tribalist but an uneducated mugu. You better delete the statement above because it makes no scientific sense. How did you come with the statistical data on number of twins among different ethnic groups in Nigeria?. Who gave you visa to whereever you live because you sound like a frustrated bush yoruba woman?. Just get any biology textbook and educate yourself instead of exposing your ignorance here.

tsk tsk, who's the mugu here?

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by tpia: 4:17pm On Oct 29, 2008
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by angelink2u: 4:50pm On Oct 29, 2008
i love amala so much because of its texture & smoothness. when taken with draw soup d food just go straight without gallop. amala, na u biko!!!
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by angelink2u: 5:04pm On Oct 29, 2008
Aloy.Emeka:

You are quite mistaken here. Amala is a traditional yoruba food and any non yoruba that was not raised in the amala eating family will be skeptical about embracing it. What is the big deal here? Are there not Igbo, Ibibio,hausa foods that you cannot venture eating?. Colour has a psychological effect on food and if you are not comfortable with the colour, your appetite will be jeopardized. I see people drinking blue or violet coloured pop which i find repulsive just because of the colour. Thank you on the vivid picture you painted about egusi, you've succeeded in killing my appetite.

I support Aloy.Emeka, as a Nigerian u are supposed to know Nigerian recipes
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by omoge(f): 5:13pm On Oct 29, 2008
let me just drag that shaki out of that stew, Amaka grin. i can smell lots of ATARODO in there grin grin

of the things i miss most for my stew ATARODO and TATASHE are the top  cry cry

all this fake habanero (hot yes but no that peculiar rodo aroma) wink
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by KarmaMod(f): 5:16pm On Oct 29, 2008
Amakone, Thanks for giving that frustrated loon a lecture.

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by AmakaOne(f): 5:23pm On Oct 29, 2008
@omoge,
na u sabi betta thing o. Nothing beats stew made with original rodo  grin

@KarmaMod, don't mind am, I wonder what they are teaching in Naija schools these days.
he clearly has not heard the adage  "reading is fundamental if you plan to gain knowledge"

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by tumfulu: 5:25pm On Oct 29, 2008
because no how wey you go cook amala, wey the thing go hard like stone, because igbos dey like eat their solid food like say na stone, na yin be dat.

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by AmakaOne(f): 5:50pm On Oct 29, 2008
LOl talk true now ladies,

how many of youturn your Amala on the floor like this?
grin

Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by rubi(f): 12:14am On Oct 30, 2008
@Topic I think it is because of the colour (Black/Darkbrown)
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by tpia: 1:02am On Oct 30, 2008
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by KarmaMod(f): 2:01am On Oct 30, 2008
its not just that loon aloy though, tpia but it wouldnt surprise me if the excuse most people give for it is because it's Yoruba food

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by AloyEmeka9: 4:58pm On Oct 30, 2008
everyone who has ever eaten edi kai kong can vouch for the stew's tastiness. Yet its not like the soup has a whitish color.

I'm sure aloy-emeka's fuss about amala being dark, is because its a Yoruba food. If they ate the exact same thing in his hometown, he wouldnt have a problem with it.

ignorance na wa.
Here comes this ugly biatch with another version of her fears. You've succeeded in turning this into a tribal war and I am bowing out for you. You need to do something about your decayed psychology and dilapidated body parts because it will attract nobody at this state. Sexual, emotional and financial frustration is evidently taking its toll in your life so stop feigning tribal wars to cover it up.
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by AloyEmeka9: 5:00pm On Oct 30, 2008
"Nigeria holds the World Record in Multiple Births: http://www.scienceinafrica.co.za/twins.htm

http://www.twinsworld.com/stats.html

"In fact, if access to state-of-the-art medicine were a deciding factor, then why does the Yoruba tribe of Nigeria have the highest twinning incidence in the entire world? These Nigerian people attribute it to their population's consumption of a specific type of yam. Yams? That's right, scientists have discovered that these colorful vegetables that are grown only in Africa contain a high level of a substance that is similar to the hormone estrogen -- which could bring on multiple ovulation.": http://www.pregnancy-place.com/WHY_ARE_TWI, YROCKETING.html

and someone trying to cash in on it on Amazon.com:
2 TUBERS OF AFRICAN YAMS--FERTILITY ENHANCER!!!
"This auction is for african yam,not to be mistaken for America sweet potatoes.Yams consist of lot antioxidants such as beta carotene,which prevents heart disease,Cancer,strokes and cataracts. Yams have also been found to promote fertility in women.In a study on Yoruba women of Nigeria west africa,it was suggested that their high rate of giving birth to twins(which is among the highest in the world) could be linked to their high consumption of the African yam. If you are buying this yam for fertility purposes ,please also buy the book ,The infertility Diet by Fern Reiss.You will find the Menus and the quantity to consume from the book.A lot of our customer swear by this book.According to this book Yam acts like the drug Clomid often prescribed for women who are not ovulating.Yams can help stimulate the ovaries to release egg. The yams weigh between 3-5 pounds and we ship it Priority mail so that you get it within 2-3 days (within USA)of your payment.Yams are not only for people who wants o conceive,it is a delicous food that can be prepared in many different ways.Thank you"
http://s1.amazon.com/exec/varzea/ts/exchan, 2800068-7819463
I am not asking for internet sites that promote that but a data that verifies your claim. How did they come about this claim when they didn't poll nursing mothers overtime?. We are not in 17th C. It could be accurate though.
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by tpia: 5:10pm On Oct 30, 2008
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by AloyEmeka9: 5:38pm On Oct 30, 2008
is that all you've got? Huh

abeg go fix the ugly in your family before attaching that adjective to someone else, deadbeat.

carry your yeye useless self waka comot and go find some bird droppings to snack on in your bedroom.

Ignorant bushman that you are.

I thought you were busy digging up more "facts" about the "Yorubas" you met in your mental home? Or maybe na the ones incarcerated with you at Kirikiri maximum security prison.
Where do you always come out from? Do you live in Nairaland estate?. You need a job and if they will not hire you because of your flat boobs, I can provide the cash for plastic surgery and make you look at least 30 again. That is the minimum the surgeons can reduce your old age. Anu mpam.
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by tpia: 7:22pm On Oct 30, 2008
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by AloyEmeka9: 7:35pm On Oct 30, 2008
@ aloy-emekrazy: I know you're not finding life easy since you're a cross eyed dwarf, and I sympathize with you for your unfortunate situation. Undecided But I don't know the solution for your predicament either.
You are not even civil enough not to yab deformed people around the world. I am neither cross eyed nor finding life difficult, thank god but i wouldn't stoop so low to yab deformed people both offline and online. You are a pathetic nuisance to our society and I do hope you tanda for that abroad where you dey do kwara ngida with crack heads and don't ever dream of coming home with your polluted mind.
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by ifyalways(f): 9:37pm On Oct 30, 2008
na wao
The amala tourism has taken a bad turn sad
who get amala and ewedu for hia abeg grin
Aloy,take things easy and loosen up.
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by KarmaMod(f): 12:21am On Oct 31, 2008
How can he loosen up when he has a hardon for tpia

even his insults are juvenile. flat boobs? O ga for madness

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by tpia: 1:34am On Oct 31, 2008
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by Nwaka77: 6:00pm On Oct 31, 2008
AMAKAONE:

LOl talk true now ladies,

how many of youturn your Amala on the floor like this?
grin

I do! when I used to make it back home cheesy I grew up eating amala as a child and really like it but I get hungry again after a couple of hours.

Why has this thread turned into insults now? Please let's take it easy. Make una no vex abeg.
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by Ezeamama(m): 6:18pm On Oct 31, 2008
shocked who tell una say igbos dey fear amala?
nna men!!! u need to c where dey dey swallow dis thing, yoruba man okele(bolus) of amala sef no fit near dem own, doubt am make we go
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by Ifygurl: 6:15am On Nov 01, 2008
I grew up in the SouthEast (Enugu) and also a little in Lagos.

If that's Amala in the picture i sent you then yea i've had it. My mom made it once, it's delicious but her's weren't darker than the one in the picture i sent you.
Re: Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? by AmakaOne(f): 3:02pm On Nov 03, 2008
Aloy.Emeka:

I am not asking for internet sites that promote that but a data that verifies your claim. How did they come about this claim when they didn't poll nursing mothers overtime?. We are not in 17th C. It could be accurate though.

This is from one of the links I posted earlier.

Firm population figures do not exist and no census has been conducted in Nigeria for 10 years.

But population experts agree Nigeria, overall, has one of the world's highest rates of multiple births, with the southwest being particularly prone.
A study conducted between 1972 and 1982 by researcher P.S. Nylander recorded an average of 45 to 50 sets of twins per 1 000 live births in the southwest, four times higher than in Europe or the United States.

Reading is a fundamental skill and it pays for us to master it if we are going to function well in the 21st century my dear. Try to keep that in mind next time.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Tea Thread / 6 Foods You Can Cook In A Microwave To Make Your Life Easier- / Why Does Nigeria Import So Much Rice?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.