Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,713 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:35 PM

What Food Or Diet Is Best For A German Shepherd Dog - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / What Food Or Diet Is Best For A German Shepherd Dog (10384 Views)

How I Lost My Female German Shepherd Dog During Pregnancy. / The Largest Caucasians Shepherd Dog In Nigerian (pictures) / Diary Of Our German Shepherd Dog (rayance) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Food Or Diet Is Best For A German Shepherd Dog by spenca: 10:42am On Aug 27, 2014
I have a 7weeks old German Shepard, and I am kind of confused on what to feed him, I usually gave him some noodles grinded with fish and crayfish and all also bought some can food for him but apart from this what else can I give him. And yes he is a lively little boy that bites me frequently
Re: What Food Or Diet Is Best For A German Shepherd Dog by Seun(m): 11:05am On Aug 27, 2014
A growing puppy needs complete and balanced puppy food. You should give him the recommended amount of it daily. A home-cooked food may not give your puppy all the nutrients he needs for perfect growth and development, but puppy food from a reputable brand probably will. Once he is fully grown you can start saving money by switching to cheaper foods, but for now you should give him the best puppy food you can afford.
Re: What Food Or Diet Is Best For A German Shepherd Dog by spenca: 11:39am On Aug 27, 2014
Seun: A growing puppy needs complete and balanced puppy food. You should give him the recommended amount of it daily. A home-cooked food may not give your puppy all the nutrients he needs for perfect growth and development, but puppy food from a reputable brand probably will. Once he is fully grown you can start saving money by switching to cheaper foods, but for now you should give him the best puppy food you can afford.

Any suggestion sir?
Re: What Food Or Diet Is Best For A German Shepherd Dog by mayorall(m): 11:40am On Aug 27, 2014
Get Arion puppy food. Soak in milk and feed. He will love it.

2 Likes

Re: What Food Or Diet Is Best For A German Shepherd Dog by Seun(m): 11:47am On Aug 27, 2014
spenca: Any suggestion sir?
It depends on what's available in your area. My vet store in Sango Ota doesn't have Arion puppy food, for example. They only have pedigree & jojo. So you can check the vet stores close to you to find out what they have and then we'll help you to pick the best one of the bunch. The best ones usually have a meat source listed as the first ingredient. Those that list grains as the first ingredient e.g. Pedigree aren't ideal. You should buy the 2 or 3 best brands/flavours of dog food available and feed a different one in each meal to keep things interesting for your dog.
Re: What Food Or Diet Is Best For A German Shepherd Dog by spenca: 12:31pm On Aug 27, 2014
Seun:
It depends on what's available in your area. My vet store in Sango Ota doesn't have Arion puppy food, for example. They only have pedigree & jojo. So you can check the vet stores close to you to find out what they have and then we'll help you to pick the best one of the bunch. The best ones usually have a meat source listed as the first ingredient. Those that list grains as the first ingredient e.g. Pedigree aren't ideal. You should buy the 2 or 3 best brands/flavours of dog food available and feed a different one in each meal to keep things interesting for your dog.

Okay thanks sire , would see about that n get back to you
Re: What Food Or Diet Is Best For A German Shepherd Dog by whitebrown(f): 7:11am On Sep 02, 2014
Try PRO PAC Superpremium pet food visit www.propac-nigeria.com or visit our store, 15kg bag 9700
Check what everyone is saying on Facebook, Twitter or instagram by following the link on our website

PRO PAC nothing provides better nutrition

Re: What Food Or Diet Is Best For A German Shepherd Dog by oluomoadebayo: 5:17pm On Sep 02, 2014
spenca: I have a 7weeks old German Shepard, and I am kind of confused on what to feed him, I usually gave him some noodles grinded with fish and crayfish and all also bought some can food for him but apart from this what else can I give him. And yes he is a lively little boy that bites me frequently

I'm feeding my 14 weeks old BARF but I think you can get some quality food designed for shoprite at any of their location. I will snap the picture for you later but I don't really like can foods.
Re: What Food Or Diet Is Best For A German Shepherd Dog by Seun(m): 8:08pm On Sep 02, 2014
oluomoadebayo: I'm feeding my 14 weeks old BARF but I think you can get some quality food designed for shoprite at any of their location. I will snap the picture for you later but I don't really like can foods.
yea, Most people don't have the attention to detail needed to keep a raw diet nutritionally balanced, so I'd recommend commercial food too.
Re: What Food Or Diet Is Best For A German Shepherd Dog by oluomoadebayo: 9:23am On Sep 03, 2014
Seun: yea, Most people don't have the attention to detail needed to keep a raw diet nutritionally balanced, so I'd recommend canned food too.

Yes you are right bro. Those can contained a lot of cab for my liking and you can know this by the amount of poo but still safer than messing your puppy's nutrition with indomie and dry fish of no value.
Re: What Food Or Diet Is Best For A German Shepherd Dog by spenca: 11:43am On Sep 03, 2014
oluomoadebayo:

Yes you are right bro. Those can contained a lot of cab for my liking and you can know this by the amount of poo but still safer than messing your puppy's nutrition with indomie and dry fish of no value.

Mehn those poo are really much when he eats those can food mehn!
Re: What Food Or Diet Is Best For A German Shepherd Dog by Dogsworld(f): 11:16am On Sep 12, 2014
Kindly explain to me the link between poo quantity and eating canned food...

I must have missed something, I don't have such issues with my dogs.

Regards,

Muffy

Join us here: www.nairaland.com/1043675/dog-lovers-nigeria-very-own
Like us here: www.facebook.com/.com
Download /view our magazine here: https://issuu.com/dogsworld/docs/dogsworldmagazineissue13

spenca:

Mehn those poo are really much when he eats those can food mehn!
Re: What Food Or Diet Is Best For A German Shepherd Dog by Dogsworld(f): 11:29am On Sep 12, 2014
Hi guys,

On the issue of I*****MIE, I met a trained Canine nutrionist in Lagos to interview him for Dog's World Magazine. I saw bags of IND**** in his practice.

After the interview was over, I thanked him for his time and stopped there. I did not mention him in our last issue.

Why are vets selling this as dog food? It is bad for dogs particularly because it is often their ONLY source of carbohydrates.

Regards,

Muffy

Join us here: www.nairaland.com/1043675/dog-lovers-nigeria-very-own
Like us here: www.facebook.com/.com
Download /view our magazine here: https://issuu.com/dogsworld/docs/dogsworldmagazineissue13

oluomoadebayo:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Food Or Diet Is Best For A German Shepherd Dog by BolajiLagos: 6:40pm On Sep 16, 2014
Our dog was raised on JOJO. First the Puppy food (we used the canned one first then moved to the dry one), then the adult food. I will try and find a photo to paste here. It's really good stuff.

1 Like

Re: What Food Or Diet Is Best For A German Shepherd Dog by chucky234(m): 10:47pm On Sep 16, 2014
spenca:

Any suggestion sir?
Jojo and Pedigree dog food, Diamond dog food is not safe.
Also give your pups goat milk and puppy biscuits.
Re: What Food Or Diet Is Best For A German Shepherd Dog by Mckandre(m): 8:36am On Sep 17, 2014
chucky234: Jojo and Pedigree dog food, Diamond dog food is not save.
Also give your goat milk and puppy biscuits.
do you know were I can get this goat milk? I meant like commercially.
Re: What Food Or Diet Is Best For A German Shepherd Dog by BolajiLagos: 8:53am On Sep 17, 2014
I swear by JOJO. It's really a very good food. My dogs have always done very well on it. healthy, muscular and shiney. They really know their stuf and it is worth spending that extra money to get the best. Especially if you have a puppy. It would be a shame to give him the cheaper brands and then regret it later. It's your choice.
Re: What Food Or Diet Is Best For A German Shepherd Dog by chucky234(m): 9:07am On Sep 17, 2014
Mckandre: do you know were I can get this goat milk? I meant like commercially.
I used to buy somewhere in Festac but you can get them from reputable pet food shops.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

New Killer Insect Found In Indian / Don't Mistakenly Poison Your Dog(an Alert) / 10 Most Popular Dog Names In Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.