Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,075 members, 7,818,217 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:37 AM

Trousers & Skirts; Who Abscribed It To The Sexes - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Trousers & Skirts; Who Abscribed It To The Sexes (1740 Views)

Battle Of The Sexes / PICS: What Happens When Girl Walks Around With NO TROUSERS / Can I Stop My Wife From Wearing Trousers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Trousers & Skirts; Who Abscribed It To The Sexes by simplyOJ(m): 10:58am On Aug 27, 2014
Studying the culture and people of time past, you will realize some used animal skin and leaves as covering. Correct me if I am wrong, even in some communities today, some still go on leaves as covering without differentiating what is for man or woman. In some cases women go around with nothing covering their waist up ( try that today at your own risk).

How did we arrive at abscribing the trousers to men and skirts to women? Some religious group forbid women from putting on trousers and even run the risk of being labelled an 'Akwuna' (borrowing the words of my Idoma brothers)

Does any one have an idea?

1 Like

Re: Trousers & Skirts; Who Abscribed It To The Sexes by SAMBARRY: 11:06am On Aug 27, 2014
Oyinbo pipu tongue
Re: Trousers & Skirts; Who Abscribed It To The Sexes by Nobody: 11:08am On Aug 27, 2014
Frnt page material
Re: Trousers & Skirts; Who Abscribed It To The Sexes by Nobody: 11:16am On Aug 27, 2014
Still thinking
Re: Trousers & Skirts; Who Abscribed It To The Sexes by Nobody: 11:43am On Aug 27, 2014
The ascribing is related to our daily activities. I think by mere looking at it, Men are generally vigorous and active in everything, While women are the exact opposite.

The trouser was consciously designed to suit our stunts for men. It doesn't restrict our rough movements at all. We walk and run anyhow we want in it.

Apart from that, there is also a little attachment design to suit our urinary system. My thought sha.

6 Likes

Re: Trousers & Skirts; Who Abscribed It To The Sexes by KillerBeauty(f): 11:52am On Aug 27, 2014
Those days men are kindof adventurers, quick, love outdoors and have more challenging jobs so the trousers fit the kind of activities they do.

Women on the other hand are less active so skirts make them look graceful and homely.

I think that's the reason why trousers and skirts are made for a particular gender. Though I cants say for sure but the lifestyle of both gender determine dressing

Front page pls
Re: Trousers & Skirts; Who Abscribed It To The Sexes by oweniwe(m): 11:58am On Aug 27, 2014
skirt was ascribed to women because women need a lot of air/ventilation down below for their totori...

Well.... Men dont need much ventilation for thier third leg anyway. . .dats why they got the trousier
Re: Trousers & Skirts; Who Abscribed It To The Sexes by simplyOJ(m): 12:34pm On Aug 27, 2014
SAMBARRY: Oyinbo pipu tongue
The pipers(men) from Scotland go on skirt.
Re: Trousers & Skirts; Who Abscribed It To The Sexes by mumumugu(m): 12:50pm On Aug 27, 2014
The gods

2 Likes

Re: Trousers & Skirts; Who Abscribed It To The Sexes by Godmystrength: 1:05pm On Aug 27, 2014
I don't know too..
Re: Trousers & Skirts; Who Abscribed It To The Sexes by simplyOJ(m): 1:42pm On Aug 27, 2014
Godmystrength: I don't know too..
Hmmm........ I really dont know how it all started even to the extent that women are percieved to be wearing men's attire if they go on trousers and the men viewed irresponsible or a joker if seen wearing a skirt. Hmmmm..... Just wonder who thought out the idea.
Re: Trousers & Skirts; Who Abscribed It To The Sexes by crackhaus: 1:51pm On Aug 27, 2014
There are some things we need not bother about, just saying...

1 Like

Re: Trousers & Skirts; Who Abscribed It To The Sexes by chii8(f): 2:05pm On Aug 27, 2014
Hmmm...since no one knws fully well,am gonna dress my son in gown tomorrow for summer lesson.....jugs out.
Re: Trousers & Skirts; Who Abscribed It To The Sexes by simplyOJ(m): 3:50pm On Aug 27, 2014
crackhaus: There are some things we need not bother about, just saying...
I actually became curious because of stern warnings sometimes issued to ladies by some religious bodies not to put on trousers to their various meetings.
Re: Trousers & Skirts; Who Abscribed It To The Sexes by Vikky014(f): 3:56pm On Aug 27, 2014
Op,lets start with T-shirts,is it for men or women?

1 Like

Re: Trousers & Skirts; Who Abscribed It To The Sexes by Tallesty1(m): 4:02pm On Aug 27, 2014
Ceasar1: The ascribing is related to our daily activities. I think by mere looking at it, Men are generally vigorous and active in everything, While women are the exact opposite.

The trouser was consciously designed to suit our stunts for men. It doesn't restrict our rough movements at all. We walk and run anyhow we want in it.

Apart from that, there is also a little attachment design to suit our urinary system. My thought sha.
Re: Trousers & Skirts; Who Abscribed It To The Sexes by simplyOJ(m): 4:06pm On Aug 27, 2014
Vikky014: Op,lets start with T-shirts,is it for men or women?
Unisex I suppose.
Re: Trousers & Skirts; Who Abscribed It To The Sexes by Vikky014(f): 4:24pm On Aug 27, 2014
simplyOJ:
Unisex I suppose.
in Dat case all gender can wear anyfin,provided u feel comfortable in dem right?
Re: Trousers & Skirts; Who Abscribed It To The Sexes by simplyOJ(m): 7:34pm On Aug 27, 2014
Vikky014: in Dat case all gender can wear anyfin,provided u feel comfortable in dem right?
Yes i get your drift.
Re: Trousers & Skirts; Who Abscribed It To The Sexes by Successdude(m): 9:36pm On Aug 27, 2014
simplyOJ:
Hmmm........ I really dont know how it all started even to the extent that women are percieved to be wearing men's attire if they go on trousers and the men viewed irresponsible or a joker if seen wearing a skirt. Hmmmm..... Just wonder who thought out the idea.
To everything, there is a history, history may be forced to hide but it will still give traces. Scottish men wear skirts but Mind u to every people there is a culture. They probably were cultured to think wearing skirt suits the men beta so the adoption of it perhaps makes them unique.(just like there are suits but we have english suits, shoes we knw italian shoes are unique in their own way, cars, etc). But lady putin trousers was imported to africa. And it tries to wipe the african culture "when development wipes out culture the people remain confused "
Re: Trousers & Skirts; Who Abscribed It To The Sexes by itstpia1: 10:42pm On Aug 27, 2014
Women get pregnant and men don't.

So, in the olden days, loose flowing dresses would be necessary for pregnancy and delivery.

In ancient times, function dictated fashion.

3 Likes

Re: Trousers & Skirts; Who Abscribed It To The Sexes by hoodboy(m): 12:23am On Aug 28, 2014
Successdude: To everything, there is a history, history may be forced to hide but it will still give traces. Scottish men wear skirts but Mind u to every people there is a culture. They probably were cultured to think wearing skirt suits the men beta so the adoption of it perhaps makes them unique.(just like there are suits but we have english suits, shoes we knw italian shoes are unique in their own way, cars, etc). But lady putin trousers was imported to africa. And it tries to wipe the african culture "when development wipes out culture the people remain confused "

So you're saying in essence that trousers for men was part of precolonial African culture?
Re: Trousers & Skirts; Who Abscribed It To The Sexes by bnovative(m): 12:44am On Aug 28, 2014
Men tie wrapper in most tradition of ss and se people of Nigeria. trousers wasn't for men. people should rather emphasize decent dressing than abuse ladies who wear trousers. There are ladys' trousers designed for ladies.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Trousers & Skirts; Who Abscribed It To The Sexes by Emmyk(m): 10:18am On Aug 28, 2014
hoodboy:

So you're saying in essence that trousers for men was part of precolonial African culture?
Very Good question. I was about asking that too.
Re: Trousers & Skirts; Who Abscribed It To The Sexes by simplyOJ(m): 11:06am On Aug 28, 2014
bnovative: Men tie wrapper in most tradition of ss and se people of Nigeria. trousers wasn't for men. people should rather emphasize decent dressing than abuse ladies who wear trousers. There are ladys' trousers designed for ladies.
True. There are a lot well cut trousers suited for ladies out there. Just like you said, decency is the key.

1 Like

Re: Trousers & Skirts; Who Abscribed It To The Sexes by cococandy(f): 11:53am On Aug 28, 2014
Lmao
mumumugu: The gods
Re: Trousers & Skirts; Who Abscribed It To The Sexes by Nobody: 3:48pm On Aug 28, 2014
oweniwe: skirt was ascribed to women because women need a lot of air/ventilation down below for their totori...

Well.... Men dont need much ventilation for thier third leg anyway. . .dats why they got the trousier
but now, women are dragging the trousers with men. I think that's one of the reasons why they get smelly vagina and yeast infection.

1 Like

Re: Trousers & Skirts; Who Abscribed It To The Sexes by simplyOJ(m): 4:55pm On Aug 28, 2014
TribalEAST: but now, women are dragging the trousers with men. I think that's one of the reasons why they get smelly vagina and yeast infection.
kia mbok am eating.
Re: Trousers & Skirts; Who Abscribed It To The Sexes by Godmystrength: 5:56pm On Aug 28, 2014
TribalEAST: but now, women are dragging the trousers with men. I think that's one of the reasons why they get smelly vagina and yeast infection.
undecided... so all the women you know have these abi??
Re: Trousers & Skirts; Who Abscribed It To The Sexes by tpia6: 11:46pm On Sep 27, 2014
simplyOJ:
I actually became curious because of stern warnings sometimes issued to ladies by some religious bodies not to put on trousers to their various meetings.

dressing has different subjective meanings depending on the culture.
Re: Trousers & Skirts; Who Abscribed It To The Sexes by esof1(f): 1:25pm On Sep 29, 2014

And Women who wear skirts and wrapper don't have yeast infection? Please read up the causes of yeast infection before u continue to think wearing trousers is the cause.
Re: Trousers & Skirts; Who Abscribed It To The Sexes by Nobody: 3:19pm On Sep 29, 2014
TribalEAST would be like: 'I don find their trouble,who send me?' cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

Must Read: Redefining Success For Kids / What Are Your Favorite Child Memories?? / Woman Divorces Husband Because He's Too Handsome

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.