Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,963 members, 7,817,837 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:46 PM

What Is GRACE? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is GRACE? (780 Views)

A Teaching Presented On Law And Grace. Please Read And Learn/comment / What Is Grace? / What Is Grace? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is GRACE? by ichuka(m): 11:05am On Aug 27, 2014
Grace is not a matter of giving man
what he deserves. Romans 4:4 says,
"Now to the one who works, his
wages are not accounted according to
grace, but according to what is due."
In other words, grace means receiving
what one does not deserve. If grace
involved receiving what one deserves,
the very meaning of grace would be
completely nullified. Grace is called
grace simply because there is no
element of merit in it. Ephesians 2:8
says, "For by grace you have been
saved." The fact that you were saved
even though you did not deserve it
shows that it is grace. Romans 3:24
says, "Being justified freely by His
grace." What does "freely" mean?
Freely in the original text is the same
word as "without a cause" in John
15:25, where the Lord said, "They
hated Me without cause." Saying
God's grace justifies a person freely
simply means that God justifies a
person without any cause. "The
Scripture has shut up all under
sin" (Gal. 3:22). "For God has shut up
all in disobedience" (Rom. 11:32). God
has put all men in the same position
so that none can be saved by doing
good. Each and every one must be
saved by grace. If you asked Paul how
he was saved, he would surely answer
that he was saved by God's grace. If
you asked all the saints how they were
saved, they would surely answer that
they were saved by God's grace. Grace
is God saving people without a cause.
(2) Grace is not a matter of
supplementing what man deserves.
Ephesians 2:9 says, "Not of works that
no one should boast." This does not
mean that man should not have good
works after he is saved. Rather, it
means that man is not saved by
works. If man were saved by good
works, he would be able to boast. If
thirty percent of man's salvation was
by works, man could boast of that
thirty percent, while God would lose
thirty percent of the glory. If ten
percent of man's salvation was by
works, man could boast of that ten
percent, while God would lose ten
percent of the glory. It is not possible
for God to share His glory with man.
God hates man's self-boasting. God's
intention is that He Himself would
gain the glory. Therefore, God's grace
does not supplement what man
deserves.
Grace is neither giving man what he
deserves, nor is it giving man more
than what he deserves. Grace is
neither a fair compensation nor an
extra compensation. The questions of
whether or not God should give and
whether man is worthy cannot be
placed side by side with grace. If man
wants to receive grace, then the
question of his worthiness cannot
exist at all, neither can the question of
being more or less worthy be
established. In the matter of salvation,
man cannot use any of his work to
obtain God's grace.
Many have thought, "I will try my best
to do good and keep the law; then I
will rely on God's grace for the things
that I cannot do." This means that
they rely partially on work and partially
on grace. A man once said, "We must
keep the Ten Commandments;
otherwise, we cannot be saved." Then
someone asked him, "Have you
violated any of the commandments?"
He answered, "Yes, I have." He was
then asked, "What do you do when
you violate a commandment?" He
responded, "I rely on God's grace for
the things that I cannot do well." This
kind of thought is a misconception of
grace.
In Matthew 19 a young man asked the
Lord Jesus, "What good thing shall I
do that I may have eternal life?" (v. 16)
. The Lord said, "But if you want to
enter into life, keep the
commandments" (v. 17). The young
man said he had kept them all. But
when the Lord said, "If you want to be
perfect, go, sell your possessions and
give to the poor" (v. 21), the young
man was not able. If man wants to be
saved by keeping the law, he must
keep it with "all." Not only does he
have to love God with all his heart, all
his will, and all his strength, but he
also has to give all he has in his
house, without holding back any item.
But if man relies on God's grace, he
has to rely on it completely. Man
cannot work for one-half and leave it
up to God to work for the other half.
God's grace does not supplement
man's inabilities. If it is by God's
grace, it is all by God's grace; if it is by
man's work, it is all by man's work.
One cannot rely partially on his own
work and partially on God's grace.
Why is this? It is because the Lord
Jesus has already died. God puts all
sinners in an equal position. When the
Lord Jesus was crucified on the cross,
God "caused the iniquity of us all to
fall on Him" (Isa. 53:6). The problem
of sin was solved once and for all.
Therefore, man cannot rely on his
own merit before God; it would
overthrow the Lord's work, as though
He had died in vain.

1 Like

Re: What Is GRACE? by Kei144(m): 5:28pm On Aug 27, 2014
The gospel of Jesus Christ is greatly misunderstood. There is church business everywhere, raking in billions of naira, yet Christians have not clearly understood what the gospel of Jesus Christ is.

Ro. 7:18 I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. [Or my flesh] For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out.
Ro. 7:19 For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do — this I keep on doing.
Ro. 7:20 Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
Ro. 7:21 So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me.
Ro. 7:22 For in my inner being I delight in God’s law;
Ro. 7:23 but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members.
Ro. 7:24 What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?
Ro. 7:25 Thanks be to God — through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God’s law, but in the sinful nature a slave to the law of sin.

How did Apostle Paul know that he had a body of death? Commandments of God (the Law) helped him to know that. So, we see the purpose of God's commandment:

Ja. 1:23 Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror
Ja. 1:24 and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like.
Ja. 1:25 But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it — he will be blessed in what he does.

The Law is a mirror; it helps you to see the condition of your inner being (the soul). It is a sensor that is able to measure how alive your soul is. Every human being wants to be holy, but there is hardly a holy human being. How do we know that there is hardly any human being that is holy? It is because of the commandments of God. The Law helps us to know how holy people are. How holy a person is is an indication of the condition of the person's soul. In Rom 7:24, Apostle Paul says, "What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?" The soul of virtually every human being is in this same death condition; you want to be holy, but you are unable. In Rom 7:25, Paul gives thanks to God. Why? It is grace.

Grace means that God imputes life and power into your soul. You are now able to be the holy person you have always wanted to be. The fact that you can be holy shows that your soul has been saved. If you wallow in sin and claim that you have been saved by grace, you are deceiving yourself. The only evidence that your soul has passed from death to life is if you become a holy person. When you look at the mirror, which is the commandments of God, and you are actually looking at your life, know that your soul is full of life. But if when you look at God's commandments, it is not describing your life, you are actually a wretched human being with a sick soul.

1Jn. 3:14 We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love our brothers. Anyone who does not love remains in death.

1 Like

Re: What Is GRACE? by ichuka(m): 12:52pm On Aug 28, 2014
Kei144: The gospel of Jesus Christ is greatly misunderstood. There is church business everywhere, raking in billions of naira, yet Christians have not clearly understood what the gospel of Jesus Christ is.
Ro. 7:18 I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. [Or my flesh] For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out.
Ro. 7:19 For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do — this I keep on doing.
Ro. 7:20 Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
Ro. 7:21 So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me.
Ro. 7:22 For in my inner being I delight in God’s law;
Ro. 7:23 but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members.
Ro. 7:24 What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?
Ro. 7:25 Thanks be to God — through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God’s law, but in the sinful nature a slave to the law of sin.

How did Apostle Paul know that he had a body of death? Commandments of God (the Law) helped him to know that. So, we see the purpose of God's commandment:
Ja. 1:23 Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror
Ja. 1:24 and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like.
Ja. 1:25 But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it — he will be blessed in what he does.

The Law is a mirror; it helps you to see the condition of your inner being (the soul). It is a sensor that is able to measure how alive your soul is. Every human being wants to be holy, but there is hardly a holy human being. How do we know that there is hardly any human being that is holy? It is because of the commandments of God. The Law helps us to know how holy people are. How holy a person is is an indication of the condition of the person's soul. In Rom 7:24, Apostle Paul says, "What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?" The soul of virtually every human being is in this same death condition; you want to be holy, but you are unable. In Rom 7:25, Paul gives thanks to God. Why? It is grace.
Grace means that God imputes life and power into your soul. You are now able to be the holy person you have always wanted to be. The fact that you can be holy shows that your soul has been saved. If you wallow in sin and claim that you have been saved by grace, you are deceiving yourself. The only evidence that your soul has passed from death to life is if you become a holy person. When you look at the mirror, which is the commandments of God, and you are actually looking at your life, know that your soul is full of life. But if when you look at God's commandments, it is not describing your life, you are actually a wretched human being with a sick soul.
1Jn. 3:14 We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love our brothers. Anyone who does not love remains in death.

How does one become Holy is it by doing good works/by keeping the Commandments?
.my bro,forget.
If you try to keep the law/Commandments as à Christain you have fallen out of Grace.meaning Christ accomplisment is not enough for you.

Christ is become of no effect unto
you, whosoever of you are justified by
the law; ye are fallen from grace. ◄ Galatians 5:4 ►
Re: What Is GRACE? by Kei144(m): 7:24pm On Aug 28, 2014
ichuka:
How does one become Holy is it by doing good works/by keeping the Commandments?
.my bro,forget.
If you try to keep the law/Commandments as à Christain you have fallen out of Grace.meaning Christ accomplisment is not enough for you.

Christ is become of no effect unto
you, whosoever of you are justified by
the law; ye are fallen from grace. ◄ Galatians 5:4 ►

You didn't understand my post. When I was in the university, I once told my class mates that being a runner makes me to have good legs. One of my class mates responded, "Or is it that your good legs make you a good runner?" In the same manner, it is not keeping the law that makes a person holy. Rather, it is being holy that makes a person to perfectly keep the law. The question then is, what makes a person holy? It is the grace of God. And what is the grace of God?

Ac. 10:38 how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and power, and how he went around doing good and healing all who were under the power of the devil, because God was with him.

Ac. 1:8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”

The grace of God is the power of God, which comes to a person who has the Spirit of God. Two issues then are involved in getting the grace of God. One is getting the Spirit of God; the other is how a person that has the Spirit of God gets divine power to be holy and to do miraculous works. These are two issues Christians will thoroughly resolve in this end time in order to make the rapture. End time is already here. Ebola is spreading. If Christians do not wake up to discover how to obtain the grace of God, they will perish with the world. The doctrines you hear about the grace of God in today's churches will not save anyone from things like ebola.

1 Like

Re: What Is GRACE? by ichuka(m): 12:05am On Aug 29, 2014
Kei144:
You didn't understand my post. When I was in the university, I once told my class mates that being a runner makes me to have good legs. One of my class mates responded, "Or is it that your good legs make you a good runner?" In the same manner, it is not keeping the law that makes a person holy. Rather, it is being holy that makes a person to perfectly keep the law. The question then is, what makes a person holy? It is the grace of God. And what is the grace of God?
Ac. 10:38 how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and power, and how he went around doing good and healing all who were under the power of the devil, because God was with him.
Ac. 1:8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”

The grace of God is the power of God, which comes to a person who has the Spirit of God. Two issues then are involved in getting the grace of God. One is getting the Spirit of God; the other is how a person that has the Spirit of God gets divine power to be holy and to do miraculous works. These are two issues Christians will thoroughly resolve in this end time in order to make the rapture. End time is already here. Ebola is spreading. If Christians do not wake up to discover how to obtain the grace of God, they will perish with the world. The doctrines you hear about the grace of God in today's churches will not save anyone from things like ebola.
So you are saying in essence,its the Holy Spirit/Law of the Spirit of life in à believer that fullfills the demand/commands of the law, Yes?
Re: What Is GRACE? by Kei144(m): 9:16am On Aug 29, 2014
ichuka:
So you are saying in essence,its the Holy Spirit/Law of the Spirit of life in à believer that fulfills the demand/commands of the law, Yes?

The power of the Holy Spirit is like the hydraulic power of power steering of a lorry. If you have traveled in a large luxury bus, you notice how easily the driver steers the bus, even with one hand. If something goes wrong with the hydraulic system of the power steering, it becomes extremely difficult to steer the bus. Steering a luxury bus is very much like keeping the law of God. Without the power of the Holy Spirit, it is very difficult to keep the law perfectly. But, even with the availability of the power of the Holy Spirit, if the Christian does not take step to keep God's law,God's law will never be kept. It is just like a luxury bus driver not operating the steering, because he believes that the hydraulic power steering system is there to do it for him.

Ja. 2:17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.
Ja. 2:18 But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.” Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.
Re: What Is GRACE? by ichuka(m): 10:19am On Aug 29, 2014
Kei144:
The power of the Holy Spirit is like the hydraulic power of power steering of a lorry. If you have traveled in a large luxury bus, you notice how easily the driver steers the bus, even with one hand. If something goes wrong with the hydraulic system of the power steering, it becomes extremely difficult to steer the bus. Steering a luxury bus is very much like keeping the law of God. Without the power of the Holy Spirit, it is very difficult to keep the law perfectly. But, even with the availability of the power of the Holy Spirit, if the Christian does not take step to keep God's law,God's law will never be kept. It is just like a luxury bus driver not operating the steering, because he believes that the hydraulic power steering system is there to do it for him.
Ja. 2:17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.
Ja. 2:18 But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.” Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.
Your analogy abt à driver,hydrulics,and steering is wrong.Why? As long as the driver is not under the Lordship of the hydrulics(HolySpirit)he has fallen out of Grace.he will continue to steer the vehicle without the help of the hydrulics all the time.
And the the bk of James you quoted was out of context.James was speaking to Nomical Christains nt true belivers.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Why Are Women Too Religious? / History: How Christianity Rose To Dominate Europe (very Good Text) / How Can I Monitor My Church Growth?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.