Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,955 members, 7,817,801 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:58 PM

RUTH ABOKO KU - Love On Top (part 1) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / RUTH ABOKO KU - Love On Top (part 1) (2134 Views)

Jenny... A Story Of True Love On Social Media / RUTH ABOKO KU - "Love On Top" Concluding Part. / <<THE UNDERCOVER AGENT¤¤Part 1 & 2>> (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

RUTH ABOKO KU - Love On Top (part 1) by ayers11: 3:04pm On Aug 27, 2014
My dear readers, you probably took the assumption that my name is Ruth, however, my name is not Ruth. My name is Ifetofunmi, but friends and family call me Ruth. RUTH ABOKOKU.

I got married to the love of my life at the age of 22. He was everything I dreamed about of what my future husband would be when I get to choose one. My parents were not so happy with my choice, but yes, like every other loving parents on planet earth, they showed support and spent an incredible amount of their money on my wedding with the love of my life.

He was the love of my life, he is the love of my life. He never liked his food hot, it had to be served at room temperature. Sex in the morning made him glow, and kisses on his nose tickled him. He was tall and handsome. He reminded me of cinderellas prince charming. He was my prince charming. He was Sasa-Eniyan.

The news came on a very hot sunday afternoon, I had just served lunch and was waiting on the love of my life to join me at the table. Then there was a knock on the door. Who could have been visiting?? We never had visitors on sundays. These were the thoughts running through my head as I strolled towards the door.

He was tall and short, fair and dark, fat and slim. He was different.

"Good afternoon madam, my name na Maku, na me dey barb hair for your husband. Madam, wahala dey o, something don happen. Abeg, where ya husband dey??"
Wahala, where , when and how This were the questions the love of my life asked his barber as he lead him into the sitting room.

I had to go check the dining table, the food had to be served at room temperature. The love of my life doesn't like his food too hot or too cold. Everything was perfect. The thought of serving the "Brokoto" played in my head as i strolled back into the sitting room. The mama at the market had told me it was the biggest she had sold in months. I smiled. It had to be the best of eveything for the love of my life.

The sight in the sitting room was an unpleasant one. The love of my life staired at me lifelessly. He was not dead. The barber was sitted with a careless look on his face. There was a slightly rumpled paper on the floor.
Tear drops struggled for freedom.
I didn't know what to attend to. The slightly rumpled paper or the love of my life.
Damn the paper!, it had to be the love of my life. "Ife aiye mi"...
The ride was a dangerous one. I knew the love of my life shouldn't be driving. But he had to vent his anger. He had to do something. Why was he angry? Where were we headed too? What news did the barber come bearing?
Questions unanswered.
I reached for his strong arms. He smiled. The smile lacked emotions. It was a cold one, but it meant the world to me. He fixed his gaze on the road. He was driving fast.
My mind wandered. The "Brokoto" must have gotten cold. I would warm it when we get back home. I had not spoken to my mum in days, I would give her a call when we get back home. I had not ironed the expensive linen shirt I got for the love of my life. I would do that when we get back home.
When we get back home...
I was buried deep in my thoughts.
It all happened so fast!, the truck in front of us got into a pot-hole. It was a big and ugly truck that conveyed stones and constrcution materials. Stones from the truck had gotten under the tire of our car, causing it to roll over three times.
It was an accident.
I could here sounds around me. My favourite tv programme was on. There was another sound, soft and strong. I wanted to open my eyes, I could not. I had to.
My mind was racing as the stream of consciousness hit me. We had been in a fatal car accident. Where is the love of my life?? I had to open my eyes. They wouldn't bulge. I struggled, then I heard a loud and strong voice. He was walking towards me, he was the doctor.
"Mummy, your daughter is ok, she would be discharged once she's awake, but sadly I cannot say the same about the young man who was driving. He suffered severe injury to his brain and the test results have shown that he suffers from Aphasia. Global aphasia precisely. The young man will loose his ability to communicate , however with the help of a speech pathologist, we should be able to help him communicate.
The words hit me hard and strong. The words hit me where it hurts. Aphasia?? The love of my life?? I wouldn't hear his sweet voice again ?? He becomes a vegetable??
NOOOOoooooooooooooo!!!!
I didn't want to open my eyes if this is what I had to wake up to , but I had to see the love of my life... My movement was swift and fast... My mum and the doctor were stunned.
Where is he?
Where is the love of my life
Take me to him, take me to the love of my life. Take me to Sasa-Eniyan...
The doctor had told me to make payments so as to employ the services of a speech pathologist as soon as possible.
I had not been to our house since the accident. Mum had insisted that I stayed with her till I was well enough.
I had to go take my cheque book, so I could withdraw sufficient money for the services of a speech pathologist.
The thought of going to the house without seeing the love of my life was a terrible one, but I had to. It was a necessary evil.
The house was the same way we left it about 3 days ago.
I raced to the dining table , the smell was horrid. It was disgusting. It was the "BROKOTO".
I headed to the sitting room, promising myself to properly disinfect the dining table before I left the house.
It was lying lifeless on the floor.
It was pink.
It was rumpled.
It was a paper.
I raced to pick it up, as I remembered it was the paper I had seen with the love of my life about 3 days ago.
The information the paper contained was confusing. It was a positive "HIV" test result belonging to one "MUKAILA KUKO".
Who is MUKAILA KUKO ?
Why does he have his test results in my house ?
How does this connect to the love of my life ?
Where were we headed to the day we had the car accident?
I needed answers to this questions.
The love of my life has been diagnosed with global aphasia, he cannot answer this questions.
The barber !!!, yes the barber...

To be continued.
Written By : Odutuyo Adeyinka Sasa-Eniyan.

(1) (Reply)

The Unbreakable Record Of Chinua Achebe's "Things Fall Apart" / My Book Of Short Stories / Mama Dera [story]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.