Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,093 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:09 AM

The Return Of The Prodigal Son ( A Short Story) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Return Of The Prodigal Son ( A Short Story) (871 Views)

The Return of Madly In Love With A Non-human(SECOND CHANCE)SEASON 2 / The Prodigal Love (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Return Of The Prodigal Son ( A Short Story) by Nobody: 6:09am On Aug 28, 2014
“Hope is back!” the town roared to life. The three Faiths had made him ride back on a caparisoned donkey whose pleasant sight was getting the jealous hurters into extreme anger. When Limitation and Mediocrity came close to take Hope back to the home he had left at age fourteen, he paid homage and said, “Yes I know you’re my parents, so I honour you. But I won’t go to stay in either the Flirts’ flats or the Dilapidation dwelling place I left behind anymore.”
“What are you saying?” It had caught Limitation unawares.
Doubt wasn’t present because Hope was having Giant Faith with him.
“You heard me mum,” Hope said. “Unless you can have Father Sage to change your names to what he desires, I won’t come home.”
“Impossible!” she bawled. She wanted to prove her supremacy over him, so she cried, “I’m your mother and I have the right to keep you under my care!”
“Yes. She’s right!” Mediocrity supported, pointing at the virago he had had as a wife.
“I’m seventeen now mum...I’m a man.”
“Keep shut, Hope!” she yelled. “You deserve to be scolded, yet you kept opening your mouth. Isn’t Vulne more man enough than you are? He’s now eighteen but wouldn’t dare disobey us. Look at him carrying Standaloof in his arms—yet such was the instruction I’ve given him since three years back. Standaloof is now four, therefore far heavier than afore, yet Vulne keeps bearing the weighty pain of bearing her weight.”
Hope stared at his sister with pity as he asked, “Can’t she walk till now?”
“I can’t!” she responded herself. “Mum said it’s my destiny to be lame, since the name I was named is Standaloof.” The clarity of the girl’s speech abashed him. He wept.
“It’s wrong!” Hope challenged his parents with clogged eyes.
“Keep shut!” she rebuked. “Can’t you see how fat she is? Look at you, now skinnier than you ever were—just because you went wearying yourself out to find the way to a non-existing somewhere, influencing Idleness the son of your uncle, Doubt, with your life. Now he’s nowhere to be found, having eloped with Seekbeauty, in whose love he was enveloped.”
Hope paid no attention. He asked the Faiths to let them leave. They heeded but Limitation posed resistance by standing in front of the caparisoned donkey. Dwarf Faith yanked her off easily. She let herself loose and slid unto the floor at purpose. She rolled in tears but no one paid attention.
Mediocre screamed, “Hope, if you don’t come home, I’ll disown you!” When he would not listen, his father said further, “You shall regret this!”
Vulnerability could do nothing other than to shed tears as he saw his brother departing—only Standaloof remained, doing nothing…

Gooddream suddenly thumped up from sleep in the Dotage cottage where they had tarried listening to the Sage’s wise words since noon. His jerky movement shocked the other Goods and Doggedness, prompting them to ask, “What?”
“I have a dream!” Gooddream put up a puzzled face.
“A dream while awake?” they asked, doubting the fact that Gooddream had slept at all. Doggedness added, “That must be a daydream at night as Father Sage taught us!”
“But I was far gone in sleep!” Gooddream bared his soul, yawning into the hollow carved by his clenched fist, but they disbelieved still, saying, “Father Sage’s quotes and stories are too sweet to the soul such that no one would sleep on it. So, don’t lie here.” They doubted that he had slept on the intriguing stories of the old raconteur.
Father Sage had heard all their yammers but had kept silent. When they all turned to him expecting to hear from him concerning Gooddream, he sat up and stared into the eyes of the boy as he tardily said with acuity, “It’s the truth: Gooddream was asleep. I can read sleep on his face.”
“Really!” the others were stunned.
“Yes. So Gooddream, tell us your dream,” Father Sage said.
“I saw a star resting over this cottage,” he said. “The star was wandering initially, but then, when it got here it stopped.”
Father Sage grinned and said, “Hope is the star. He’s at the door now.”
“But how do you know he’s here?” they asked rapidly, being amazed at the acuity of the old man.
“I’ve told you, be swift to hear.” Father Sage turned to the door and said, “Knock, it shall be opened unto you.” The door gave way, for the one at the door had knocked as instructed by Father Sage. It was Hope they saw standing there with the Faiths behind him. Hope rushed to Father Sage and fell on his knees, weeping, but the man pulled him up and embraced him. They wept on each other’s face. At the sight, the Goods were glad but Doggedness was gladder, for he was just seeing Hope for the first time in his life.
“Welcome back my son,” Father Sage said amidst his tears.
“I am no more worthy to be called your son,” Hope replied with sobs. “Let me live with you as a servant from now onwards and help you clean up your temple.”
“No my son, you can’t do that.”
“Father, if there’s anything worse than that, let me do it,” Hope said penitently. “I have trod the Highway of Iniquity, which you detest with all your soul, and I have drunken the filthy Wine of Swine with the Cup of Iniquity and admired the mires. Father Creator must be very wroth now.”
“Hope, for giving up your iniquity, then your iniquity is forgiven you already by Father Creator. Live your life as if nothing has happened in the past: recalling past failures lures into future failures.”
Father Sage made a feast the next day, wanting to use the venue as an avenue of passing out a declaration. His fat calf being his only main asset went for it. The hurters sent spies to the feast in the person of Madam Pickoffence and Mrs. Jealousy who disguised. They would have information to take to Mother Witch. They got one eventually when Father Sage declared publicly, at the end of the feast, “Hope is back at last to take us to the Island of Greatness. He will bridge the gap between the rich there and the poor here and none shall have power to overpower him. After then can I rest my hoary head in the grave in peace, yet I shan’t leave you without a successor.”

curled from the story "HOPE AND THE ISLAND OF GREATNESS" by SAMMY HOE.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Return Of The Prodigal Son ( A Short Story) by dammygoody(m): 7:01am On Aug 28, 2014
Hmmm...I love this story...
Re: The Return Of The Prodigal Son ( A Short Story) by Nobody: 7:08am On Aug 28, 2014
dammygoody: Hmmm...I love this story...

I'm happy u love it grin
Gud morning to U!!!
Re: The Return Of The Prodigal Son ( A Short Story) by PrinceAdepoju(m): 12:33pm On Aug 28, 2014
SammyHoe:

I'm happy u love it grin
Gud morning to U!!!
Actually, We love your stories cheesy

....enjoy the day, sir. smiley
Re: The Return Of The Prodigal Son ( A Short Story) by LordRazor1(m): 12:57pm On Aug 28, 2014
Woah! Woah!! Woah!!! A million thunderous claps crashing through the sky and rending the atmosphere to you buddie! Wow! That waz... What's the word now? Yes! That was superbly ingenious! Gosh! Where did the writer get the inspiration from!? That was outta diz world! I doff my cap for whoever the... Ok Sammy Hoe right? I doff my cap for him/her*sorry I dunno wich 1*. And a big thumbs up to you Fergus 12. I'm inspired! Thanks once again.

(1) (Reply)

Secrets #nlwriters / A Poem For My Secret Love / When Day Loves Night (novelette)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.