Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,989 members, 7,817,911 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:43 PM

Our Thoughts On ''mutual Funds'' In Nigeria - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Our Thoughts On ''mutual Funds'' In Nigeria (1863 Views)

Mutual Funds / Mutual Funds In Nigeria: Please Share Your Experience / Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Our Thoughts On ''mutual Funds'' In Nigeria by ducii: 9:55am On Aug 28, 2014
[/b][b]
I have noticed that some Nigerians do not know about the stock market or do not avail themselves with the opportunities available in investing in the stock market.

Nigerians are not very conversant or do not bother themselves with the idea of making money in the stock market, some say it is a waste of time, while others think it is to risky after what happened in the market in 2008 in the aftermath of the global financial crisis.

Take for instance the Johannesburg Stock Exchange(JSE) has a market capitalisation of $903b which is 3 times the size of their GDP, while the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) has a market capitalisation of $80.8b which is just 15.43% of Nigeria's re-based GDP.
Now part of the NSE's problem is the lack of local participation in the market, I mean there are only about 1 million Nigerians participating in the stock market daily, for a country of 177 million people that is very poor.

We as Nigerians should be using opportunities the market provides for us in order to create wealth. I know of individuals who have used proceeds from the market to train their children abroad in foreign universities, A colleague of mine was saving to get married last year and I advised him to use part of his savings to invest in a company which I thought was doing well, he took my advice and the price of the stock went up seven times and he made about 4 million Naira.

The car I drive today, I bought it with the proceeds I made from the stock market.

Definitely there are risks involved in the market, but if you take time to do your due diligence, the risk /reward from the stock market is skewed in favour of making sizeable returns on a yearly basis.

So we should look into investing in the markets both long-term and short-term. It will assist us in mitigating some of our daily expenses.

Have a lovely day peeps.
Re: Our Thoughts On ''mutual Funds'' In Nigeria by Grace2love: 11:56am On Aug 28, 2014
can you give some companies to trade their stocks?
Re: Our Thoughts On ''mutual Funds'' In Nigeria by ducii: 12:32pm On Aug 28, 2014
Grace2love: can you give some companies to trade their stocks?
It depends on what time frame(horizon) you are trading, but I will give you some names.
Long-term( 7up, Mobil, UBA and Zenith bank)
short-term( Honyflou, Wapic)

Those are a few companies to trade, I hope you make some money from them.
Re: Our Thoughts On ''mutual Funds'' In Nigeria by uzoboy86yahoo(m): 7:04pm On Sep 09, 2014
ducil can u teach mi abt stock mkt
Re: Our Thoughts On ''mutual Funds'' In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:05pm On Sep 09, 2014
How much is needed to trade stock?
Re: Our Thoughts On ''mutual Funds'' In Nigeria by timoney45(m): 8:55pm On Sep 11, 2014
I would like you to mentor me in stock trading if you don't mind
Re: Our Thoughts On ''mutual Funds'' In Nigeria by shanktang(m): 5:00pm On Oct 10, 2014
ducii:
[/b][b]
I have noticed that some Nigerians do not know about the stock market or do not avail themselves with the opportunities available in investing in the stock market.

Nigerians are not very conversant or do not bother themselves with the idea of making money in the stock market, some say it is a waste of time, while others think it is to risky after what happened in the market in 2008 in the aftermath of the global financial crisis.

Take for instance the Johannesburg Stock Exchange(JSE) has a market capitalisation of $903b which is 3 times the size of their GDP, while the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) has a market capitalisation of $80.8b which is just 15.43% of Nigeria's re-based GDP.
Now part of the NSE's problem is the lack of local participation in the market, I mean there are only about 1 million Nigerians participating in the stock market daily, for a country of 177 million people that is very poor.

We as Nigerians should be using opportunities the market provides for us in order to create wealth. I know of individuals who have used proceeds from the market to train their children abroad in foreign universities, A colleague of mine was saving to get married last year and I advised him to use part of his savings to invest in a company which I thought was doing well, he took my advice and the price of the stock went up seven times and he made about 4 million Naira.

The car I drive today, I bought it with the proceeds I made from the stock market.

Definitely there are risks involved in the market, but if you take time to do your due diligence, the risk /reward from the stock market is skewed in favour of making sizeable returns on a yearly basis.

So we should look into investing in the markets both long-term and short-term. It will assist us in mitigating some of our daily expenses.

Have a lovely day peeps.

I've never been a lover of stock investment, but after reading your thread I thought to give it a try, mind you I know absolutely nothing about this, so I'll appreciate it if you would not mind I ride with you, on this, that means I will need to communicate with you more on this and will have to work with what ever you advise, I'll take you as my mentor, please my email is ogjohnny@yahoo.com and my phone number is 07033463366 you can add me on watsapp tanks name is john
Re: Our Thoughts On ''mutual Funds'' In Nigeria by Kennyfancy(m): 7:28pm On Oct 10, 2014
ducii:
[/b][b]

Have a lovely day peeps.
pls teach us, pls hw much is the minimul for long term investment ?

(1) (Reply)

What Is MMM And Is It A safe "investment"? / How To Make Money From Wema Bank ALAT / Own A Super Luxury 3 Bedroom Apartment In Surulere

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.